PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could use the laugh Emoji twice for that headline. Dak has had one pro bowl caliber year based on today's QB stats. He had one year where he led his team to 13 wins and since then has basically been 500 with 10, 9 and 8 wins respectively in the three full seasons he has played since his first year.

He has had one season where he threw for more than 23 TD's (30). I like Dak but c'mon man he needs to live in reality. He is nowhere close to the 2nd best QB in the league.

I wish I could use the laugh Emoji twice for that headline. Dak has had one pro bowl caliber year based on today's QB stats. He had one year where he led his team to 13 wins and since then has basically been 500 with 10, 9 and 8 wins respectively in the three full seasons he has played since his first year.

He has had one season where he threw for more than 23 TD's (30). I like Dak but c'mon man he needs to live in reality. He is nowhere close to the 2nd best QB in the league.
Dallas should have traded his ass last year. Now, because the first year of the McCarthy era was a struggle, and trading starting QBs is rarely done in the NFL, this guy's got the Cowboys over a barrel.

I'm assuming there is no way Dallas can get rid of Dak and get Wilson? Wilson with that offense would be nasty.

One other bonus about signing Smith, especially assuming he is released and then ultimately signed before the start of FA is you now have a legit QB situation. Not the best but legitimate. Now you can tell perspective WR FA, which there are many, we have a guy that can play here for the next couple of years while we groom a successor.

It's not ideal but far better than saying Newton is the guy that will attempt to throw you the ball.

Now that I type that out, I think I could see Bill getting crazy and signing say Smith and re-signing Newton. Run a crazy version of what NO's has been doing with Brees and Taysom. Hmm...

I'm assuming there is no way Dallas can get rid of Dak and get Wilson? Wilson with that offense would be nasty.
Dak has no contract. In 15 days he is free to leave the Cowboys unless Franchise tagged.

Dallas has until 3/9 to franchise Dak at $37 million for 2021. If Dallas uses the Non Exclusive Tag, Dak is free to shop his wares around to other teams and bring back a deal to Dallas for them to match or not. If Dallas says no thanks they would receive 2 - 1st round picks from Daks new team.

Seattle does not have a 2021 - 1st round pick because of the Jamal Adams trade last year. Seattle was rumored to want the Wilson trade price to start at 3 - 1st round picks. Wilson isnt going anywhere.

• The 49ers have reached out to the Panthers about a potential trade for Teddy Bridgewater.​

The Niners' interest in Bridgewater doesn't necessarily mean they're keen on replacing Jimmy Garoppolo as the team's starter. 49ers general manager John Lynch has said the team needs to upgrade its backup QBs as to avoid a lost season if or when the oft-injured Jimmy G is sidelined. Carolina is among the leaders in the Deshaun Watson sweepstakes, making Bridgewater expendable if a team has a solid offer for the veteran. There's almost no chance Bridgewater starts for Carolina in 2021.
    Get an Edge: Check out the updated live odds and projections for the 2021 season with our exclusive Betting Tools, which you can get by purchasing the with EDGE⁺ Max premium package.
    RELATED: SOURCE: The Athletic
    Mar 1, 2021, 9:57 AM ET

He wants watson money. Their stats are similar.

Dak has no contract. In 15 days he is free to leave the Cowboys unless Franchise tagged.

Dallas has until 3/9 to franchise Dak at $37 million for 2021. If Dallas uses the Non Exclusive Tag, Dak is free to shop his wares around to other teams and bring back a deal to Dallas for them to match or not. If Dallas says no thanks they would receive 2 - 1st round picks from Daks new team.

Seattle does not have a 2021 - 1st round pick because of the Jamal Adams trade last year. Seattle was rumored to want the Wilson trade price to start at 3 - 1st round picks. Wilson isnt going anywhere.

Feels like only the cowboys could be losers here in the end. I am not the biggest dak fan but someone will give him that money.

Dak wants to be paid well above his production/value. Makes sense.

I feel like the fact he plays for Dallas causes the media to consider him a top QB regardless of his actual performance.
I feel the same. He’s not worth all that money but a lot of hungry teams in need of a QB.

He wins. He has very good numbers. He runs for yardage. He takes care of the football. Hes young. Based on all that you would think he is deserving of ~$35m/ AAV deal.

The problem is when you watch him play it is painfully obvious he is not an elite QB nor does he belong on the same field with Mahomes, Brady, Wilson, AR.

Last edited:
Dak wants to be paid well above his production/value. Makes sense.

Hey, so would I! I'm gonna go tell my manager I want a raise so I'm being paid just behind the CEO.

Just sign Smith and move up to get one of Lance, Jones or Trask if it looks like a QB heavy top 10-12. Hit FA hard and take advantage of the gluten of talent that should become available to fill gaps and improve areas across the board where they are able.

Compete for the division, I see Buffalo taking a step back especially if we can field a competent QB against them. Get in the playoffs, make some noise. Show the league Foxboro is not zombie land, and then hopefully the kid will be ready for a full go season 2 and game on.
Hear, Hear! Good post Cousin.
DW Toys

One other bonus about signing Smith, especially assuming he is released and then ultimately signed before the start of FA is you now have a legit QB situation. Not the best but legitimate. Now you can tell perspective WR FA, which there are many, we have a guy that can play here for the next couple of years while we groom a successor.

It's not ideal but far better than saying Newton is the guy that will attempt to throw you the ball.

Now that I type that out, I think I could see Bill getting crazy and signing say Smith and re-signing Newton. Run a crazy version of what NO's has been doing with Brees and Taysom. Hmm...
Cousin, Works for me.
I think posters lose sight that it is the weapons that actually might be the difference. If you look at the stats, Lamar Jackson and Cam were close. Jackson threw for more TDs but Cam ran for 12 versus 7 for Jackson. They both had the exact same amount of completions.........BUT.......TE is a big part of Cam's game. In 2015 Olsen had over 1100 yards for Cam.

Yet if Jackson was available we'd all be drooling.

Back to Jackson again, he had two receivers with 8 TDs and one was a competent TE.

I am not sticking up for Cam here...but I guess I am. I just look at the scraps and don't see a home run at QB. I am intrigued by Smith. What a story he he leads us back to the play-offs.

I proposed a trade with the Saints who are in CAP hell and a total of 5 Draft picks....5!

Move Harry (let's see was Payton can do with him and he is cheap for them. Could become a star there) and a 4th rounder and a 6th Rounder for Michael Thomas who had a down year and DE Cameron Jordon to relieve the CAP pressure cooker in NO.

Now trade a mid the low pick to the Eagles for Ertz (only 30) who also had a down year.

Buy Low Bill will appreciate the good fortune of these guys on the cheap (or cheaper)and we have ten (10) picks and cash.

I am adding Tyrell Williams with speed and size amd perhaps speed merchant John Brown when the Bills cut him. Or if not Brown, the undervalued AND YOUNGER Rishard Higgins in FA. So you've revamped the receivers. 3 new wide outs and a solid TE.

Now get your rookie QB.....I think it will be Trask unless the others drop. Looks a little like Bledsoe if you watch tape.

Draft? Defense and more Defense. Finally some late round WR to add. Simi Fehoko of Stanford and track star Anthony Schwartz of Auburn (4.27 40 in high school) who even made Stidham look good.

DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back