PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my doubts that the Bridgewater interest means anything about Jimmy's future (and even less about it automatically involving the Pats), but SF does pick 12 in this draft. I could absolutely see a scenario where they trade for Bridgewater, who is fine but a career backup, to have some stability. Then use extra picks they get from a Jimmy deal to move up and draft whichever guy they like in April. Perhaps the rumors of Atlanta shopping the 4th pick play into this. Moving up from 12 to 4 is pretty doable. This wouldn't be a bad move for SF I think. You have Teddy to play until your kid is ready, and clear Jimmy's contract off your books.

2 firsts and 2 seconds OK with you?
Cousin,
Good morning. I did enjoy that left over pancake, sausage, OJ and Coffee with hazelnut. I am ready.

It will cost more than that to get Russ. I could see three 1sts plus Gilmore. It sounds high but our value on first rounds is less than most Teams as we swap out frequently but more than that, look at the last three years results......poopy. Is Russell Wilson worth a hell of a lot more than our last three years of Michel, Wynn and Harry? How many games did they NOT play in?
Three years of firsts and a player (CAP works well as Gilmore lowers Wilson's number)
Where do we sign up for that deal?
Here is the problem within the NFL. No one is brave unless you are the Rams and what they paid for Stafford......kudos win or lose All the rest (including the Pats) are scared that the other Team might win the trade. They have watched DRAFT DAY with Cosner too many times. No one wants to be Carlson.
Advice.....when you make a negotiated deal, both sides must feel pain or else the deal was bad for someone.
DW Toys

rumors that JJ Watt signs with the cardinals on a 2 year deal. Can anyone with media/twitter access confirm that rumor?
Edit: sorry just saw the thread

Bridgewater has almost the same cap hit as Jimmy g. No way they spend 50 mil on 2 qbs
Bridgewater's cap hit in Carolina is his cap hit in Carolina. On another team, he's a $20m hit and it's not guaranteed. That makes him a prime candidate for an extension, real or voiding/voidable.

I think they’re looking for a better backup for when Jimmy is injured.

Idk, it seems doubtful to me they would want to have near $50million tied up in the QB position. Maybe they redo his contract but he won't make less than $15million. That's still $40million tied up in 2 guys.

Idk, it seems doubtful to me they would want to have near $50million tied up in the QB position. Maybe they redo his contract but he won't make less than $15million. That's still $40million tied up in 2 guys.
Why not? The Colts did it last year with Brissette and RIvers...

Bridgewater's cap hit in Carolina is his cap hit in Carolina. On another team, he's a $20m hit and it's not guaranteed. That makes him a prime candidate for an extension, real or voiding/voidable.
Why would he agree to that?

Bridgewater will start somewhere in the NFL. I can't see him wanting to be a back-up, and if SF wants him there and asks him to restructure or get his contract voided, he'd be nuts to take the restructure.

Why would he agree to that?

Bridgewater will start somewhere in the NFL. I can't see him wanting to be a back-up, and if SF wants him there and asks him to restructure or get his contract voided, he'd be nuts to take the restructure.
Which teams are going to be looking to him as a starter?

Why not? The Colts did it last year with Brissette and RIvers...
The 2020 Colts were working with an adjusted salary cap of almost $240M ($198M cap plus over $40M in rollover) compared to the 2021 49ers' adjusted cap of somewhere around $182M ($180M minimum cap plus $2M rollover) or just slightly higher.

New England, for one, if he were available.
He can make his money in SF (even if it ends up needing to be done via extension/"fake" extension), with the chance of stepping in should JAG get injured, and SF is a serious Super Bowl contender. Why would he prefer being a one year bandaid in New England over that?

He can make his money in SF (even if it ends up needing to be done via extension/"fake" extension), with the chance of stepping in should JAG get injured, and SF is a serious Super Bowl contender. Why would he prefer being a one year bandaid in New England over that?
So he'd rather sit the bench than play?

He'd rather be a back-up than a starter?

And you think SF would pay him more as a back-up than the Pats or someone else would pay him to be a starter?

I don't get it - is part of this you just wanting to think or say or hope that no one would want to come play for the Patriots?

So he'd rather sit the bench than play?

He'd rather be a back-up than a starter?

And you think SF would pay him more as a back-up than the Pats or someone else would pay him to be a starter?

I don't get it - is part of this you just wanting to think or say or hope that no one would want to come play for the Patriots?
  1. What about JAG's SF career gives you confidence that he's going to play a full season?
  2. Did you not see what the Patriots paid their starter last year?
  3. It would not be a crazy notion to think that being a high-performing backup on the 49ers might be better for a QB's future than looking bad starting on a bad team. The Cam Newton example applies here.

1. What about JAG's SF career gives you confidence that he's going to play a full season?
  3. It would not be a crazy notion to think that being a high-performing backup on the 49ers might be better for a QB's future than looking bad starting on a bad team. The Cam Newton example applies here.
1. Under this reasoning, which is sound, SF should cut him and not pay out $24million dollars this year.
2. Did you not see the difference in cap for the Pats, last year to this year? Whether it's Mariota or Jimmy G or Bridgewater, the price tag will be north of $10million, almost certainly, and if SF's paying that for a back-up because they have no faith in their starter (who has very little dead money) then they're too stupid to get back to the big game.
3. Here we go with the "bad team" stuff again. The Pats pick after SF this year because the Pats suck, but SF is going places. Well, okay then.

1. Under this reasoning, which is sound, SF should cut him and not pay out $24million dollars this year.
2. Did you not see the difference in cap for the Pats, last year to this year? Whether it's Mariota or Jimmy G or Bridgewater, the price tag will be north of $10million, almost certainly, and if SF's paying that for a back-up because they have no faith in their starter (who has very little dead money) then they're too stupid to get back to the big game.
3. Here we go with the "bad team" stuff again. The Pats pick after SF this year because the Pats suck, but SF is going places. Well, okay then.
All 3 of your arguments are terrible. Come on, man. Don't be another "that guy".

The patriots paid their starter every last dollar they had under the cap. Please let’s not extrapolate decisions made with $1.37 of cap room to decisions made with at least $62,000,000.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes