PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well he is an early down NT or heavy 3 tech. Two down mostly which we badly needed. Guys were excited to finale get a NT
Godchaux is Not a "NT." Neither was his predecessor Guy, who is practically his body double.

Last edited:
How do we feel about Karras back at center?
Would prefer Andrews, of course, but I like Karras (more as a back-up). Very strong...

And who knows? Haven't heard any Andrews news yet. Maybe he doesn't get the market he wanted and comes back, which makes Karras a very nice back-up for the IOL (although I expect the Pats to grab a blue-chip center in round 2 or 3).

Like teams will be attacking the interior. Double A gap blitzes up the ass.

This dude thinks teams are gonna be sending two blitzers up the middle with Jonnu Smith & Hunter Henry running in the middle of the field.....

lol

How do we feel about Karras back at center?
Depends if he’s seen as depth or starter. As depth, he’s a good pickup, especially if they grab one of the better centers in the draft or somehow sign Andrews.

if he’s the Andrews replacement plan, no thanks.

Godchaux is Not a "NT." Neither was his predecessor Guy, who is practically his body double.
He played there in Miami a lot and while he is Not a shelton type he is able to hold his ground against Double teans. Don't know if he can split them up but he is for sure better than our run stoppers last year I think. If he is meant for heavy 3 tech here and we get another NT even better i think.

This dude thinks teams are gonna be sending two blitzers up the middle with Jonnu Smith & Hunter Henry running in the middle of the field.....

lol
Did I say every down? It was an exaggeration. We have a backup starting center, it's a clear weakness.

Andrews was never coming at the same money as Karras. He’s the best FA center now and he’ll get paid as such after the Linsley deal. Would not be shocked to see a 10 mill a year offer
and we will congratulate him

ahhh, oooo. I’d much rather we’d have put a higher tender. Bill is dangling him out there. I think a team would give up a 2nd for him.

Maybe that is the point? Maybe BB isn't as high on JC as most of us are and is willing to bring back JMac on a 1 yrs deal and use the 2nd to draft a CB or as more ammo to move up. Bring Bingo out of retirement and let him play for a season.:cool:

I’m talking base D. Yes in short yardage and goal line you use more DTs.

I’m saying our base D on 1st and 2nd down is 2 DT
4 lb/de
5 dbs
And, with that alignment, you rarely get to 3rd down. Just a lot of life sucking 8 minutes 15 play drives.

Unlike you, I don’t have imaginary conversations with Bill, so I can only speculate as to his plans. It appears to me that he knows you can’t compete against the run with only 2 real DLinemen on the field. That they’ve had to go a lot with that alignment over the last couple of seasons because they’ve been short in personnel there with Pennel and Bennett flaming out and Allen being hurt all last season. And, frankly, there was little difference between Adam Butler and Chase Winovich as a run defender, so you might as well have the more versatile guy out there.

With their transactions so far, it appears they’re building a nice little rotation of 6 Dlinemen to play 3-3-5 on early downs at least. Let’s hope so. It’s misery watching a defense that lets a team run it right down their throats.

Like teams will be attacking the interior. Double A gap blitzes up the ass.
He was a good as Andrews actually. I would prefer Andrews But. Andrews will be double the money.....What would you do? Andrews has a 67% PFF rating and Karras ahd almost a 66% rating. Karras is a little bigger. Andrews probably more familiar with making the calls. Karras was very good in Miami. Many thought he would be resigned.
Unless you want to pay $11mm or so for 32 year old Rodney Hudson.
Niether Andrews nor Karras were rated top ten. Both are good but Hudson and Lindsley are rated better. You see what Lindsley got paid and Hudson will be close behind. He asked out of Vegas to get more dollars and they let him go. Would not be surprised to see Andrews not in Miami, but Vegas or K.C.
DW Toys

"Four-year starter at right guard. Uses brute upper body strength to get defenders turned and sealed. Drops a hammer on down blocks to knock running lanes open. Effective power in small spaces. Adequate hand placement, but generally keeps them inside. Gritty demeanor on the field. Quality pass sets with a heavy-handed punch. Rare football lineage as the seventh member of the Karras family to play in the Big Ten. Intensity on game day is legendary. Penalized just twice over the last two seasons."

"Ted's been a very dependable player for us for four years," Belichick said. "He's played guard for us. This year with David's situation, Ted's had the opportunity to play more and he's stepped in and played consistently like he really always has for us. Ted's a smart player. He's strong, he can anchor the middle of the pocket and his communication with his teammates on the offensive line – which is critical for the center position to handle blocking schemes and protections and so forth – has been good."

Chiefs still over after restructuring half the team, and they were reportedly in on Trent Williams to the end.
Right, the issue becomes how much do you want to push into future years.

Pretty much every player will let you convert their salary into a signing bonus, that gives the player instant cash instead of waiting for game checks.

Then you get to pro-rate over three years, but now have a bigger cap hit if/when you cut the player in the next 3 years.

So the team tries to "pay as it goes" but if it finds someone they think is a difference maker like Trent Williams they are willing to push out the problem to future years.

KC's window is a year or two, by three years out a lot of big future cap hits they are taking now will be impossible to ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots