PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think starter prices have been depressed, looking at Fitz's and Winston's deals at about $10M/yr. This despite Dak's monster deal. I blame Brady ($25M/yr).
Do you think Fitz and Winston would have gotten north of $20m/year "normally"? Because their contracts seem pretty standard for what they are.

We also need to differentiate between bridge QB contracts and franchise QB contracts. They're both technically signed with the expectation of the QB starting, but the length and money is lower due to the uncertainty of whether they'll pan out (or in Fitzpatrick's case, how long he can keep playing). This has always been a thing and has nothing to do with Tom Brady accepting $25m/year.

I'm not saying he's going to get 20+. But I see him getting 10+ with escalators - and he's young and going to want to start. The rumor is that SF wants to get him. They're going to tie up another 10+ on a QB? I don't see them pulling a Gruden here.

Someone else will want him, and will give him the starter job. That's my guess. He's young and has put up some decent stats - mid 60's completion, over 3000 yards twice, stays on the field. And there's an argument to be made that Chicago wasn't an ideal place to play. he's also a better fit in that offense than Jimmy, honestly.

I just don't see SF going after him (if the rumors are true) and expecting him to be their back-up. They've got some cap to play with, but aren't swimming in it (and still have to sign their all-world LT). Well see how it plays out, but the idea tht SF is going after Bridgewater or Trubisky to be a back up seems way off to me.
I think he has proven he sucks and no team out there would commit to him as a starter.
I think he latches on somewhere as a project but there isn’t a team willing to bring him in to start. Why pay 10 mill for a reclamation if no one else will?

Do you think Fitz and Winston would have gotten north of $20m/year "normally"? Because their contracts seem pretty standard for what they are.

We also need to differentiate between bridge QB contracts and franchise QB contracts. They're both technically signed with the expectation of the QB starting, but the length and money is lower due to the uncertainty of whether they'll pan out (or in Fitzpatrick's case, how long he can keep playing). This has always been a thing and has nothing to do with Tom Brady accepting $25m/year.
Then how do you explain the Brissett deal?

Even if everything goes as you are saying.. why would SF trade JG before the end of camp ? There is no upside for them doing this. They will save as much money at the end of August as they would now -- except for a 600k workout bonus that is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things -- but would have more information on Trubisky after watching him for an entire offseason.

Short term money for FA is not a concern as they can structure signings to be backloaded. It would be a dumb move to send away someone who when healthy plays well enough for someone who was one gigantic failure.
As we saw with the opts outs august money does not equal March money.

Pretty quiet overnight. Thought more deal would sneak in.

Also there’s been surprisingly few trades so far. No bombshell move yet.

You want to spend on a RB go get Phillip Lindsay.
I wonder if that's an issue where they need to do a physical before making an offer. He missed three games last year with a foot injury, the last two games of the season (meaning potentially longer duration than that) with a hip injury, and was questionable (but played) for two games with a concussion and one game with a knee injury.

If true, wow. Not my expected mid March...

There's zero chance that Bill is going to let Brady come into Foxborough and win next year lol...would be happy with a big time receiver like Golloday or Smith-Schuster. Then either get Jimmy G or draft a QB like Fields/Lance, and it'll be the best offseason in NE history.

I think he has proven he sucks and no team out there would commit to him as a starter.
I think he latches on somewhere as a project but there isn’t a team willing to bring him in to start. Why pay 10 mill for a reclamation if no one else will?
I don't know. Ask Mariota or Brissett.

I don't know. Ask Mariota or Brissett.
Mariota is a backup in LV and Brissett has no job yet. Brissett obviously didn’t make it as the Colts’ starter very long. Both are probably staying backups.

What do you think the Brissett deal implies?
That he got twice the $ as a backup than starters are getting today? Winston isn't a bridge QB, imo. Saints are going to try to fix him & make him their starter.

Ooh it's like your parents letting you open all the gifts under the tree on Christmas eve only to discover Christmas morning there are more under the tree....

Yes this March SB **** is kinda fun. I get it now. Just hope all these cats can mesh and um we get a QB that can um throw a football? XFL, Canada even not picky anymore. Lure Trent out retirement? I kid I kid...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick