PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: March Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outside maybe Agholor I am really not sure to which of the signings this applies.

Smith and Judon are great fits and are entering their prime. This is exactly what they did in 2017 (the last time we had money) when they signed Gilmore to a market level deal.

Anderson and Godchaux are players that can help right away at one of the biggest holes they had last year: the run defense. Of course we could have gone the draft way and try to develop a player but how would that plug that hole for '21 ?

Bourne and Mills are vintage Patriots FA moves except they happened on day 1 instead of 2 weeks in. Mills is incredibly versatile and will replace both JMac and Brooks on the roster. Bourne seems like the kind of WR that could be a chain mover as a short/intermediate option in a McDaniels offense and maybe an Edelman successor.

To me Agholor is really the only one that sticks out as a potential risk depending on the contract structure. But even then I at least understand the need and what he brings to the table.
Smith, we paid for potential. We paid TE1 money for a player who now is not at the level of TE1. His contract is better than prime Gronk received. I love the skill set but he needs to close to double his production to live up to this contract. 500 yds a year is not gonna cut it at that price.

I think the Trubiskey to the 49ers rumor will mean Jimmy is coming back is an invention of Pats fan.

the 49ers probably view Trubisky as Jimmy’s backup in case Jimmy get injured. They need a decent option. The 49ers could be nervous about Jimmy availability but i don’t think it is a coincidence that SF is 22-8 with Jimmy on the field and 7-26 without.
Jimmy's getting 25 million this year. Fitzpatrick just signed for $10.

You think Trubisky will take a back-up deal at this point in his career? That would be incredibly stupid of him. He needs to go somewhere and PLAY, or he'll be forever an also-ran. He'll find a team, maybe SF, but it won't be to sit the bench.

You think Trubisky will take a back-up deal at this point in his career? That would be incredibly stupid of him. He needs to go somewhere and PLAY, or he'll be forever an also-ran. He'll find a team, maybe SF, but it won't be to sit the bench.
Why in the world would anyone pay trubisky starter money?

I was going to send the Pats a letter nominating you for "fan of the decade," but I remembered you going full ****** in your meltdown saying "BB has demensia." Lmao, Mr. Positive.

You really need to work on reading comprehension and take that more seriously, so you can improve your interactions with strangers on a football forum.
My reading comprehension is fine. I look forward to your negativity about the draft, no matter who they choose.

Do you think if Jimmy is cut, there will be a market for him? Will other teams go after him?
Absolutely, but not for his current price. Teams won't just ignore a starter-level QB.

I was going to send the Pats a letter nominating you for "fan of the decade," but I remembered you going full ****** in your meltdown saying "BB has demensia." Lmao, Mr. Positive.

You really need to work on reading comprehension and take that more seriously, so you can improve your interactions with strangers on a football forum.
My reading comprehension is fine. I look forward to your negativity about the draft, no matter who they choose.
I don't have the time or patience to go back and sift through this pages-long argument between the two of you so I am just going to ask you both to cease speaking to one another on this thread going forward. Duke it out in a private message if you want to, but not here. Either of you re-engaging in this will result in you being removed from this thread. Thanks! :)

Why in the world would anyone pay trubisky starter money?
Because he and/or Mariota will be the best (young and showed flashes, as opposed to placeholders) available FA QBs and Trubisky has started a lot of games. There are people right here who really want the Pats to grab him. The Colts paid Brissett 2/30, remember?

Outside maybe Agholor I am really not sure to which of the signings this applies.

Smith and Judon are great fits and are entering their prime. This is exactly what they did in 2017 (the last time we had money) when they signed Gilmore to a market level deal.

Anderson and Godchaux are players that can help right away at one of the biggest holes they had last year: the run defense. Of course we could have gone the draft way and try to develop a player but how would that plug that hole for '21 ?

Bourne and Mills are vintage Patriots FA moves except they happened on day 1 instead of 2 weeks in. Mills is incredibly versatile and will replace both JMac and Brooks on the roster. Bourne seems like the kind of WR that could be a chain mover as a short/intermediate option in a McDaniels offense and maybe an Edelman successor.

To me Agholor is really the only one that sticks out as a potential risk depending on the contract structure. But even then I at least understand the need and what he brings to the table.
I'll post some analysis of the players on another post. We obviously haven't seen the details, but is an unknown WR like Bourne really worth an avg of $7.5M/yr with $5.25M guaranteed? That's more than what JE11 makes. Seems high.
Edit: now I'm seeing 3 yr for $15 M, which is waaay better.

Same with Mills, a combo S, at $6M/yr and $9M guaranteed when we already have Dugger.

It just seems they overspent a bit, but I guess we have the cap space so why not.

Because he and/or Mariota will be the best (young and showed flashes, as opposed to placeholders) available FA QBs and Trubisky has started a lot of games. There are people right here who really want the Pats to grab him. The Colts paid Brissett 2/30, remember?
I'd sign mitch to compete for starting job, but it's folly to sign him as a starter

Winston is a better QB than Trubisky and just signed for 12M and the fact that Fitzpatrick signed before him and we don’t here teams pressing at the gate for him doesn’t really bode well for him. Which team would sign Trubisky to be their starter?

Mariota didn’t get starter money last year. Trubisky has shown nothing that would make a team want to go all in on him.
I just don’t see it. Do you have a team in mind that you think will do that? It won’t be the patriots.

I might end up totally wrong but this sounds more like an agent planting some information with Breer to push the prices up.
If fournette doesn’t come back to TB, in my opinion, it pretty seals White to TB.

Absolutely, but not for his current price. Teams won't just ignore a starter-level QB.
I think starter prices have been depressed, looking at Fitz's and Winston's deals at about $10M/yr. This despite Dak's monster deal. I blame Brady ($25M/yr).

Winston is a better QB than Trubisky and just signed for 12M and the fact that Fitzpatrick signed before him and we don’t here teams pressing at the gate for him doesn’t really bode well for him. Which team would sign Trubisky to be their starter?
Right. Teams in bad need of a quarterback brought in Fitzpatrick and Cam Newton. Trubisky isn’t going anywhere to be a starter. If he’s lucky, he’ll find a spot where he can compete to start.

Mariota didn’t get starter money last year. Trubisky has shown nothing that would make a team want to go all in on him.
I just don’t see it. Do you have a team in mind that you think will do that? It won’t be the patriots.
I'm not saying he's going to get 20+. But I see him getting 10+ with escalators - and he's young and going to want to start. The rumor is that SF wants to get him. They're going to tie up another 10+ on a QB? I don't see them pulling a Gruden here.

Someone else will want him, and will give him the starter job. That's my guess. He's young and has put up some decent stats - mid 60's completion, over 3000 yards twice, stays on the field. And there's an argument to be made that Chicago wasn't an ideal place to play. he's also a better fit in that offense than Jimmy, honestly.

I just don't see SF going after him (if the rumors are true) and expecting him to be their back-up. They've got some cap to play with, but aren't swimming in it (and still have to sign their all-world LT). Well see how it plays out, but the idea tht SF is going after Bridgewater or Trubisky to be a back up seems way off to me.

Someone else will want him, and will give him the starter job. That's my guess. He's young and has put up some decent stats - mid 60's completion, over 3000 yards twice, stays on the field. And there's an argument to be made that Chicago wasn't an ideal place to play. he's also a better fit in that offense than Jimmy, honestly.

I just don't see SF going after him (if the rumors are true) and expecting him to be their back-up. They've got some cap to play with, but aren't swimming in it (and still have to sign their all-world LT). Well see how it plays out, but the idea tht SF is going after Bridgewater or Trubisky to be a back up seems way off to me.

Even if everything goes as you are saying.. why would SF trade JG before the end of camp ? There is no upside for them doing this. They will save as much money at the end of August as they would now -- except for a 600k workout bonus that is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things -- but would have more information on Trubisky after watching him for an entire offseason.

Short term money for FA is not a concern as they can structure signings to be backloaded. It would be a dumb move to send away someone who when healthy plays well enough for someone who was one gigantic failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back