PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: April Edition

What were the Ravens thinking here? I can understand having to sell low on a certain player due to whatever your circumstances may be, but to one of the ~2 teams in the conference you're competing with for the top position?

Brown is the best case scenario (worst for AFC rivals like Baltimore) for what KC could have done with their #31 pick, and they got him for even less draft capital than that.

What were the Ravens thinking here? I can understand having to sell low on a certain player due to whatever your circumstances may be, but to one of the ~2 teams in the conference you're competing with for the top position?

Brown is the best case scenario (worst for AFC rivals like Baltimore) for what KC could have done with their #31 pick, and they got him for even less draft capital than that.
Agree 100%.

RAVENS: "Here, Andy, go back tot he SB and we'll root for you!"

This might be the most bone-headed move I've seen this year. I mean, the meetings:

"Hey, guys we can replace Brown! He wants out."
"Who's offering the most?"
"KC!"
"Cool!"

Idiots.

That chefs O-line looking better on paper. The ravens also gave up their second rounder.

That chefs O-line looking better on paper. The ravens also gave up their second rounder.
Yeah, they essentially swapped 31 for 58 - and in this particularly draft class, that's probably not even a huge difference in potential player quality. Maybe the Raven think they'll get Bateman at 31 or something. I don't know, but man, making the team you have to climb over to get to the SB that much better seems, well, stupid.

A healthy and protected Mahomes is a completely different animal than the Mahomes we say in last year's Super Bowl, and that makes a huge difference to the Chiefs. Talking that team down based upon that game is similar to talking Brady down based upon the last few games he played in New England with the OL, WR and TE groups all being sub-NFL level.

Tampa would’ve easily hung 40 on them and KC has done nothin to improve that end of the result

Tampa would’ve easily hung 40 on them and KC has done nothin to improve that end of the result
But part of Tampa's ability to score was the inability of the Chiefs to do so. The game's a hell of a lot different if that Chiefs offense isn't being held to single digit scoring for the first time in Mahomes' career. Just take a look at those first half Chiefs' drives

1619210807001.png

Chiefs' defense was tanked, and giving up since their offense was clearly overmatched and couldn't begin to compete in a shootout.

Brown was never an all pro at any level.

And their left tackle last year was one of the best in the league.

Cameron Erving and Eric Fisher were the LTs in 2019. Neither was voted an ALL-PRO. Fisher missed 8 games in the middles of the season. Fisher was the starter for 2020, but was injured for the play-offs.

Mitchell Schwartz was their RT. He was one of the best.

Thuney wasn't elected an "All-Pro" either, but most unbiased people considered him one.

Care to try again?

Cameron Erving and Eric Fisher were the LTs in 2019. Neither was voted an ALL-PRO. Fisher missed 8 games in the middles of the season. Fisher was the starter for 2020, but was injured for the play-offs.

Mitchell Schwartz was their RT. He was one of the best.

Thuney wasn't elected an "All-Pro" either, but most unbiased people considered him one.

Care to try again?

So what you’re saying is that I was correct that the two players you claimed were “all pros” aren’t. And for some reason you pointed out that the players they formerly had at the positions weren’t All Pros either even though I never claimed they were. Ok.

Maybe, but he's shown no sign of going off.
Do you see Kelce still being at an All Pro he's about Gronks age and more games under him...granted way fewer injuries

So what you’re saying is that I was correct that the two players you claimed were “all pros” aren’t. And for some reason you pointed out that the players they formerly had at the positions weren’t All Pros either even though I never claimed they were. Ok.
ROFLMAO. There's that reading comprehension tripping you up. You claiming that you were correct is non-sensical and something that a Jets fan would claim.

- I never said you claimed Fisher was an ALL-PRO. You claimed he was one of the best. He wasn't.
- You never mentioned Mitchell Schwarz. Not once. Schwartz was their RT in 2019. He missed time in 2020. Including the play-offs.

They added Thuney, Brown, and Tardif to their O-LINE. Anyone with half a brain knows that's a HUGE step up over what they had to open the 2020 season.

Do you see Kelce still being at an All Pro he's about Gronks age and more games under him...granted way fewer injuries

Hes older than Gronk but takes less of a beating because he’s more of a big fast receiver.

KC would have gotten a 5 year starter at 31 (or perhaps at a bit higher with a trade up). Now, they have Brown, who is in the last year of his contract.

This is great for KC for this year.

KC would have gotten a 5 year starter at 31 (or perhaps at a bit higher with a trade up). Now, they have Brown, who is in the last year of his contract.

This is great for KC for this year.
A 5-year starter at 31? That's ambitious and also means putting a rookie on Mahomes' blind side.

A 5-year starter at 31? That's ambitious and also means putting a rookie on Mahomes' blind side.
KC would likely have had to move up. There is fine quality in the first round at OT.

I agree that this is a good deal for KC for 2021. I don't think that this fact matters to BALT.

There are multiple tackles who will be available at 31 who could turn into a Brown-level player, and they would’ve controlled that player for up to five years at a low cost. DeCosta is one of the smartest GMs in the league. Maybe the Racens think that Brown will lose motivation and start hitting the Buffet line hard once he cashes in on a big contract with large guarantees, so they took the best deal that they could get before he hit unrestricted free agency.

The Chiefs kicked the can down the road with their restructures this off-season in order to sign Thuney, among others, but cap spacewas already going to be an issue for them as soon as next year and this only exacerbates the problem. Currently, the Chiefs have only 24 players under contract for next season, with a combined cap number of 176m. In contrast, the Patriots have 36 players under contract for 2022 with total liability of 163m. How are the Chiefs going to be able to add another huge salary, with Brown set to hit unrestricted free agency next offseason?

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back