PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2021 NFL Free Agency/Trade News & Discussion: April Edition

That probably take Broncos out of the mix for a QB.

I don't know if it takes them out of the QB draft mix completely, but it does tell me that they're not going to overpay for a move up. Which opens the door for a team like the Pats if the price is right.

I don't know if it takes them out of the QB draft mix completely, but it does tell me that they're not going to overpay for a move up. Which opens the door for a team like the Pats if the price is right.
surely the price will be right for us and not for them?

surely the price will be right for us and not for them?

I guess thinking about it that we're in a similar situation: One veteran who likely isn't the answer on a contending team (Bridgewater and Cam) and one young "prospect" QB who hasn't shown well so far in the NFL (Lock and Stidham). I think I rate the overall QB room today higher for the Broncos, so I imagine we'd be more likely to pay a little extra capital to move up if there's a QB we like. But anything is possible at the moment.

Guessing that takes em out of the JG running or drafting a qb.
I guess thinking about it that we're in a similar situation: One veteran who likely isn't the answer on a contending team (Bridgewater and Cam) and one young "prospect" QB who hasn't shown well so far in the NFL (Lock and Stidham). I think I rate the overall QB room today higher for the Broncos, so I imagine we'd be more likely to pay a little extra capital to move up if there's a QB we like. But anything is possible at the moment.

That could be, but keep in mind Miami could also use their 18th pick on OL if they wanted to.
MIA can get one of the top 3 receivers at 6 and a top OT at 18.

Good article by Zack Cox regarding free agents left on the market and potential Patriot interest...we have 6 open spots on the 90 man roster.

With weeks to go before the earliest possible on-field practice and six spots on New England’s 90-man roster currently vacant, the Patriots still could add a small collection of undrafted rookies. They also could fill out their roster by bringing on a few more veteran free agents.

A number of notable players have yet to find new homes since the NFL league year opened in mid-March. And with free agent signings no longer counting toward teams’ compensatory pick formulas as of Monday afternoon, many of them are likely to sign in the coming days and weeks.

Which ones might pique New England’s interest? The Patriots don’t have any glaring roster needs, but they could benefit from adding another proven talent at cornerback and/or wide receiver.

For the former, re-signing Jason McCourty remains a possibility. He’s one of the few 2020 Patriots free agents who have yet to land a new deal, and the Pats don’t have an obvious replacement for him at the No. 3 outside corner spot behind Stephon Gilmore and J.C. Jackson. McCourty’s twin brother, Devin, has one year left on his Patriots contract.

External options include Richard Sherman, Bashaud Breeland, Steven Nelson, Casey Hayward, Josh Norman, Darqueze Dennard and Gareon Conley.

As for available wideouts, that list features 2020 Patriot Damiere Byrd, Golden Tate, Larry Fitzgerald, Kenny Stills, Alshon Jeffery, Dede Westbrook and Danny Amendola (though we doubt Amendola would be welcome after his Super Bowl week comments).

Unsigned free agents at other positions include:

Offensive tackle: Alejandro Villanueva, Charles Leno, Russell Okung, Rick Wagner, Mitchell Schwartz, Eric Fisher, Dennis Kelly, Bobby Massie, Cameron Fleming, Jermaine Eluemunor

dge rusher: Melvin Ingram, Justin Houston, Ryan Kerrigan, Olivier Vernon, Everson Griffen, Trent Murphy, John Simon

Linebacker: K.J. Wright, B.J. Goodson, Avery Williamson, Josh Bynes, Neville Hewitt, Mychal Kendricks

Running back: Rex Burkhead, Le’Veon Bell, Todd Gurley, Duke Johnson

Safety: Tre Boston, Malik Hooker, Kenny Vaccaro, Bradley McDougald, Will Parks

Defensive line: Sheldon Richardson, Jurrell Casey, Kawann Short, P.J. Hall, Geno Atkins, Damon Harrison

The Patriots likely are set at most of those spots but could use another free safety to beef up their depth behind Devin McCourty.

Good article by Zack Cox regarding free agents left on the market and potential Patriot interest...we have 6 open spots on the 90 man roster.

With weeks to go before the earliest possible on-field practice and six spots on New England’s 90-man roster currently vacant, the Patriots still could add a small collection of undrafted rookies. They also could fill out their roster by bringing on a few more veteran free agents.

A number of notable players have yet to find new homes since the NFL league year opened in mid-March. And with free agent signings no longer counting toward teams’ compensatory pick formulas as of Monday afternoon, many of them are likely to sign in the coming days and weeks.

Which ones might pique New England’s interest? The Patriots don’t have any glaring roster needs, but they could benefit from adding another proven talent at cornerback and/or wide receiver.

For the former, re-signing Jason McCourty remains a possibility. He’s one of the few 2020 Patriots free agents who have yet to land a new deal, and the Pats don’t have an obvious replacement for him at the No. 3 outside corner spot behind Stephon Gilmore and J.C. Jackson. McCourty’s twin brother, Devin, has one year left on his Patriots contract.

External options include Richard Sherman, Bashaud Breeland, Steven Nelson, Casey Hayward, Josh Norman, Darqueze Dennard and Gareon Conley.

As for available wideouts, that list features 2020 Patriot Damiere Byrd, Golden Tate, Larry Fitzgerald, Kenny Stills, Alshon Jeffery, Dede Westbrook and Danny Amendola (though we doubt Amendola would be welcome after his Super Bowl week comments).

Offensive tackle: Alejandro Villanueva, Charles Leno, Russell Okung, Rick Wagner, Mitchell Schwartz, Eric Fisher, Dennis Kelly, Bobby Massie, Cameron Fleming, Jermaine Eluemunor

dge rusher: Melvin Ingram, Justin Houston, Ryan Kerrigan, Olivier Vernon, Everson Griffen, Trent Murphy, John Simon

Linebacker: K.J. Wright, B.J. Goodson, Avery Williamson, Josh Bynes, Neville Hewitt, Mychal Kendricks

Defensive line: Sheldon Richardson, Jurrell Casey, Kawann Short, P.J. Hall, Geno Atkins, Damon Harrison

The Patriots likely are set at most of those spots but could use another free safety to beef up their depth behind Devin McCourty.

Good article. I will take exception to two positions where I don't expect a lot of movement:

Williams could be a third outside corner. He showed up pretty well when he saw snaps last year.

Mills, Bledsoe, and Bryant should compete for safety snaps behind McCourty.

Last edited:
Good article. I will take exception to two positions where I don't expect a lot of movement:

Williams could be a third outside receiver. He showed up pretty well when he saw snaps last year.

Mills, Bledsoe, and Bryant should compete for safety snaps behind McCourty.

Thanks. I am drawing a blank. Who is Williams as a third outside receiver? Zuber?

I just read that Sam Darnold's option was indeed picked up by Carolina.

I was hoping we'd go grab Richardson, but seems like it'd be redundant now. Good player, though.

Last edited:

Goodson and Williamson are better ILBs than what we have now.

Wright has had a helluva career. Not sure he'd find time here as an OLB.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back