PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 OTAs/Minicamp Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this basically means we should be all over a trade for a competent OT right now considering we can't rely on Wynn to start the year. Of course we have little cap space to work with.

Unless they think Thuney is a better option for the early part of the year than any other LT we could trade for without paying a king's ransom. Certainly it is a shame that Veldheer unexpectedly retired, he was probably their "Plan A" while Wynn was getting ready.

100% agree. Got insulted for that opinion also.
He's absolutely not being insulted for offering up the opinion that a 42 year old Tom Brady is not at the physical peak of his career. That opinion is perfectly reasonable.

He is being insulted for offering up the assertion that being an amazing physical specimen is particularly relevant to being an excellent quarterback.

That's an important distinction. At Tom Brady's physical peak, whenever that was, he was (physically speaking) a poor man's JaMarcus Russell. But that didn't hurt his QB ability, just as it didn't help JaMarcus.

Mental ability, recognition, quick decision making, consistent mechanics.... all seem to have vastly IMPROVED with age in Tom's case, dwarfing the impact of the decline from a physical peak.

He's absolutely not being insulted for offering up the opinion that a 42 year old Tom Brady is not at the physical peak of his career. That opinion is perfectly reasonable.

He is being insulted for offering up the assertion that being an amazing physical specimen is particularly relevant to being an excellent quarterback.

That's an important distinction. At Tom Brady's physical peak, whenever that was, he was (physically speaking) a poor man's JaMarcus Russell. But that didn't hurt his QB ability, just as it didn't help JaMarcus.

Mental ability, recognition, quick decision making, consistent mechanics.... all seem to have vastly IMPROVED with age in Tom's case, dwarfing the impact of the decline from a physical peak.

He can and probably still is an excellent QB in 2019. That being said, I think there is a physical decline from what he was in 2016 to now and thus not being the same caliber of QB he was 3 years ago because of phyisical decline.

All those attributes you named were not there 15 years ago, they were however a couple of years ago when he was also still in better physical shape.

I think he has taken a step back. He most likely still is a top 3-5 QB in 2019 but I don't see him as the clear cut best QB in football anymore and that's okay.

I wouldn't.

One was a 2017 UDFA from powerhouse Valdosta State; the other was from the University of Florida and taken with the 56th overall pick, which Bill traded #117 in the 2018 draft to acquire.

Then again, Bill has set - and continues to set - an extremely low bar regarding 2nd-round DBs, so maybe we should still be pleased I suppose...

The first part is no longer relevant once they arrive in the NFL, although I agree that I didn't like trading up to draft Dawson. The capital is spent already. Positive results of any kind are better than a total loss, don't you agree?

Did you watch Moore's 2018 play? Some great breaks on the ball, nice run stuffs, very quick and physical -- he really played quite well in the slot.

He can and probably still is an excellent QB in 2019. That being said, I think there is a physical decline from what he was in 2016 to now and thus not being the same caliber of QB he was 3 years ago because of phyisical decline.

Cool.

Now can you share some examples like clips or something that even resembles evidence that supports your thesis ? And please don't come with stats because they are absolutely meaningless without a lot of context.

I mean if there really is physical decline it should be manageable to find a couple examples that show a broader pattern and then contrast them with how it looked up until 2016.

A pats beat writer tweeted stidham working with second team during pass drills

That doesn't mean he is the QB2. At all.

My opinion is brady is still a great QB but past his physical prime at age 42. Some were insulted by my latter opinion. Sorry I don’t have immediate time to post video footage, I work constant double shifts in law enforcement with little sleep and a family too look after.

I could not give less of a **** if you are working in law enforcement, clear up dog **** or sell donuts. None of this has any relevance. You were the one that offered up "video evidence" in your own post and conveniently never followed up on it. Don't get all wound up if people call you out on that.

All those attributes you named were not there 15 years ago, they were however a couple of years ago when he was also still in better physical shape.

I think he has taken a step back. He most likely still is a top 3-5 QB in 2019 but I don't see him as the clear cut best QB in football anymore and that's okay.

He was the league MVP 2 seasons ago. The season before that, he would have won the MVP award if he hadn't been suspended. So let's stop with the nonsense already. You're looking only at last year, and you're ignoring the weakness of the receiving corps around him, just as people were only looking at 2013 and ignoring that receiving corps when they were telling us that Brady was just about at that time.

Thanks so much. And compared to some of the phosphoproteomics **** I have had to read this actually qualifies as lighter reading for me. At least the big picture.. :D

Without getting technical can I guess D. Thomas is unlikely to be on this team?

That doesn't mean he is the QB2. At all.

I could not give less of a **** if you are working in law enforcement, clear up dog **** or sell donuts. None of this has any relevance. You were the one that offered up "video evidence" in your own post and conveniently never followed up on it. Don't get all wound up if people call you out on that.

Yeah I’m continuing that convo with the poster regarding video footage in pm. No need to have you or your butler included

Happy offseason! Can’t wait for Chatham’s podcast! Always listen to it

He was the league MVP 2 seasons ago. The season before that, he would have won the MVP award if he hadn't been suspended. So let's stop with the nonsense already. You're looking only at last year, and you're ignoring the weakness of the receiving corps around him, just as people were only looking at 2013 and ignoring that receiving corps when they were telling us that Brady was just about at that time.

Thayis what drives me crazy, people point to Brady's numbers as a decline but completely gloss over the fact Edelman was the only reliable consistent target he had all year, well other than the brief Gordon period.

Thayis what drives me crazy, people point to Brady's numbers as a decline but completely gloss over the fact Edelman was the only reliable consistent target he had all year, well other than the brief Gordon period.
And Edelman only played in 75% of the regular season games last year at that

And Edelman only played in 75% of the regular season games last year at that

Bingo. It's certainly possible that Brady's in a decline, particularly with regards to physical abilities. But the notion that the yahoos talking about it on sports forums and radio/TV sports shows have any kind of actual proof of it is an absurdity.

WINNERS
- Maurice Harris Perhaps the biggest winner of the week, Harris emerged as a potential starting slot receiver in the Patriots’ offense. He received the bulk of top-team reps next to Julian Edelman and Phillip Dorsett with quarterback Tom Brady at the helm. We kind of wrote off Harris when the Patriots signed him on the first day of free agency since he was non-tendered by the lowly Washington Redskins as an exclusive rights free agent. But Harris showed an ability to high point the ball, make contested catches and snag everything out of the air. We’re not ready to write his name in ink on the Patriots’ 2019 53-man roster, but we’re at least penciling him in for now

- Jamie Collins Collins, sporting No. 8, was another beneficiary of circumstance. Kyle Van Noy was limited in practice early in the week, thrusting Collins back into a top role. He had a really nice string of practices, and we’re now more open to the possibility that he could beat out Ja’Whaun Bentley for a starting role next to Van Noy and Dont’a Hightower. That’s an intimidating trio.

- Duke Dawson Dawson failed to stand out last spring and summer as a rookie then didn’t play a single game after being selected in the second round of the 2018 NFL Draft. He flashed this week, however. He broke up passes Tuesday (from Brian Hoyer) and Thursday (from Brady). That’s a nice start for a guy battling for a roster spot.

LOSERS
- Dontrelle Inman We’ve watched four practices this spring. Inman has yet to catch a pass in team drills. And he’s been a full participant. That’s almost impossible. Even converted cornerback Gunner Olszewski has three catches in team drills. We thought Inman would make the Patriots’ 2019 53-man roster, but we see him on the outside looking in at this juncture. There’s still plenty of time to make up ground.

Great stuff from Reiss...

WINNERS
- Maurice Harris Perhaps the biggest winner of the week, Harris emerged as a potential starting slot receiver in the Patriots’ offense. He received the bulk of top-team reps next to Julian Edelman and Phillip Dorsett with quarterback Tom Brady at the helm. We kind of wrote off Harris when the Patriots signed him on the first day of free agency since he was non-tendered by the lowly Washington Redskins as an exclusive rights free agent. But Harris showed an ability to high point the ball, make contested catches and snag everything out of the air. We’re not ready to write his name in ink on the Patriots’ 2019 53-man roster, but we’re at least penciling him in for now

- Jamie Collins Collins, sporting No. 8, was another beneficiary of circumstance. Kyle Van Noy was limited in practice early in the week, thrusting Collins back into a top role. He had a really nice string of practices, and we’re now more open to the possibility that he could beat out Ja’Whaun Bentley for a starting role next to Van Noy and Dont’a Hightower. That’s an intimidating trio.

- Duke Dawson Dawson failed to stand out last spring and summer as a rookie then didn’t play a single game after being selected in the second round of the 2018 NFL Draft. He flashed this week, however. He broke up passes Tuesday (from Brian Hoyer) and Thursday (from Brady). That’s a nice start for a guy battling for a roster spot.

LOSERS
- Dontrelle Inman We’ve watched four practices this spring. Inman has yet to catch a pass in team drills. And he’s been a full participant. That’s almost impossible. Even converted cornerback Gunner Olszewski has three catches in team drills. We thought Inman would make the Patriots’ 2019 53-man roster, but we see him on the outside looking in at this juncture. There’s still plenty of time to make up ground.

Too much overreaction based on a 3 day minicamp.

The physical decline from 2016 was not on his part. It was on his WR/TE group. How can you not see that?

Hogan didn’t lose a step....he lost two. There was no Malcolm Mitchell. There was no Dola. There was no healthy Gronk for even half a season. There was no Martellus Bennett.

Brady was throwing to Edelman and Chicken Salad last year. In context, it may have been his greatest year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes