PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 free agents: Who can we get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to throw a name out there for a feasible signing/the circumstances around it.. Bennie Logan. He had a solid 4 years in Philly as a run stopping DT, good enough to get a 1-year $8 million deal with KC for the 2017 season.

The Titans picked him up this year for 1-year $4 million. He hasn’t been “bad”, more so the Titans have used a lot of 3-4 personnel on the DL, and seem to like what they have with Austin Johnson as the primary NT. Logan has continued to get the bulk of snaps as the #2.

Can see the Pats being able to put in a competitive offer. There may be some other suitors, but if pretending it comes down to Tennessee vs. NE...the Pats may be able to lure him with the potential to get starter level snaps, while the Titans might offer slightly less as they see him as primarily a backup.

The hope would be that they’d also draft a multidimensional DT in a higher round who has the ability to contribute early, or some other free agent signing/trade alternative. Even if the Pats were to keep one of either Shelton or Brown, they will need to bring in 1-2 more capable DTs to add to the mix.

What have we seen out of Berrios since he was drafted that would indicate he's even going to make an NFL 53 man roster in his career? Dude was thoroughly unimpressive. Even McCarron looked better and that's saying something.

I think you're right, but it took Edelman four years to become Edelman. Welker was unnoticed for three years. I wasn't here in the 90's, but Troy Brown took years to get going.

So if precedent means anything, a good Berrios emerges in 2021.

It's supposed to be T.J. Moe time right now!

I think you're right, but it took Edelman four years to become Edelman. Welker was unnoticed for three years. I wasn't here in the 90's, but Troy Brown took years to get going.

So if precedent means anything, a good Berrios emerges in 2021.

It's supposed to be T.J. Moe time right now!

While it's theoretically possible Berrios could be a late bloomer, we knew Edelman's potential from his very first preseason. Welker made some noise as a rookie as well (mostly through special teams/kicking). Berrios has shown literally nothing to inspire hope.

Moe is a player I would very much compare to Berrios in the way they got hyped up here for absolutely no reason (well, one reason...)

I think they have to look at their big bucks contracts like McCourty and Gronkowski to see if they are
getting good value.

With the market value for safeties falling, DMac does seem overpaid.

OTOH, if one considers Gronk as a receiver, he's been a great value - top-10 WR stats per game (and for the season, often enough), but paid like the 18th best receiver. Plus, he's probably the best blocking TE in the league.

How does that work? Collins would be a disaster attempting to play McCourty’s position.

McCourty's position basically being pretty much every position in the secondary these days.

He would be really hard to get and hes gonna demand huge money in a couple years.

Not to mention that's an open question whether or not he understands technical route-running at anywhere near the depth that the Pats would need him to.

I agree on the tenders. I hope Patterson and Dorsett don't expect top dollar like Hogan's agent. McCourty
should get a generous raise. I can see the Pats treating Gostkowski just like Adam. I don't think the Pats
will come up with big bucks for either T. Brown or Flowers. Not many team first players like Brady.

Hogan? Chris Hogan? When did his agent "expect top dollar"? Recently?

Which "McCourty"? DMac is already breaking the bank. JMac would be good to keep around at least through Camp as veteran insurance at somewhere around his current $2.4M (+ $1M in incentives). But the twins turn 32 next August.

The Pats may treat Gost "just like Adam" if Gost treats them like Adam did.

It's not at all yet certain that break-the-bank level "big bucks" will actually be required to retain Trent or Trey.

Beasley turns 30 next April. Edelman is still under contract for next season at a $4.67M cap hit - 46th highest in the league. He's currently among the top-25 in yds/game, and top-5 in receptions per game.

If anything I can see the Pats going after Cooper Kupp in 2021 as Edelman’s replacement.

No question there will be blood. Gronk, DMC, etc

This feels like 2009.

Just a staleness to this team right now

This whole thing feels like a Beatles reunion tour without John and George.

Well, we'll always have Ringo.

Oh wait! They traded him to the Falcons, didn't they?

I think there are some pretty obvious moves the team will try ahead.

Shelton, Patterson, JJones, Rowe and Waddle will be goners.

Others like Malcom Brown, Flowers, Trent Brown and Hogan will be a question of what the market will pay them.

And then you have the extension candidates:

Offering DMac a 2 year extension on top of the one remaining year and bring his cap number down is one of those. Ghost at about same market rate. Dorsett should be a relatively cheap and young WR option to keep around.

JMac could end up staying for another year if he is fine taking a discount to play with his brother. Having a "cheap" veteran CB is good insurance for all those young players that we have back there.

But quite honestly the 2-3 biggest moves this offseason I'd keep an eye on are:

What happens with Brady. Will the Pats really let him go into the season on an expiring contract which essentially would mean they will be playing the franchise tag game from then on.

What happens with Gronk. We have heard all the rumors and stories about how he only wants to play here and whatnot. But when push comes to shove we will see what really happens because this offseason is the last chance for the Pats to move on while getting something in return (and for him to get maybe one last big deal).

And finally, my dark horse move of the offseason, see if the Pats trade Hightower to another team. The Titans or Lions would come to mind.

More or less agree with everything, except ...

Why would JJ be a "goner"? He's a very good special teamer and more than good enough as a slot CB. He's also RFA for 2019, so should be cheap enough for at least one more season. I'm guessing 2nd-round tender.

I suspect that most of the money will go to Brown. We also need to sign Gostkowski, Jason McCourty, and give tenders (probably high) to Gordon and even J Jones (although I expect him to be signed to an extension before the tender). We also need sign a WR or two (probably Patterson and Dorsett). IMHO, we should not create holes which will need to be filled. So, signing the above are my priorities. I think it unlikely that we extend Flowers.

Yeah, I'd love to keep Trent Brown around....but what are our plans with Wynn? Play him at RT like we tried earlier this year with Cannon out? Or try him at guard?

With the market value for safeties falling, DMac does seem overpaid.

OTOH, if one considers Gronk as a receiver, he's been a great value - top-10 WR stats per game (and for the season, often enough), but paid like the 18th best receiver. Plus, he's probably the best blocking TE in the league.

The point about Gronk was absolutely true until this year. Now I'm not even sure he's a top 3 TE.

More or less agree with everything, except ...

Why would JJ be a "goner"? He's a very good special teamer and more than good enough as a slot CB. He's also RFA for 2019, so should be cheap enough for at least one more season. I'm guessing 2nd-round tender.

Like I said in the other thread I missed that he is a RFA. He is off the goner list with that.

The rationale was that we have a ton of young DBs pushing up behind him and if he had an expiring contract like I assumed I don't think he would have been any priority for extension and most probably had gotten a better deal somewhere else.

Now all of that is irrelevant since he is a RFA.

If anything I can see the Pats going after Cooper Kupp in 2021 as Edelman’s replacement.

"In 2021"?? I think Edelman will be on Social Security by 2021. In any case, he's only signed thru 2019, so it's probably a good idea to have a replacement before the 2020 season.

The point about Gronk was absolutely true until this year. Now I'm not even sure he's a top 3 TE.

At the moment he's not. After missing 30% of the games, his gross production naturally won't compare with the guys who've played 10. Gronk's per game averages aren't far off at all, though. Six more games at (or close to) his 2017 per-game averages and he'll be right up there at the end (again).

Beasley turns 30 next April. Edelman is still under contract for next season at a $4.67M cap hit - 46th highest in the league. He's currently among the top-25 in yds/game, and top-5 in receptions per game.

Wow, didn’t realize beasley was around that long.

Just caught this, if anyone cares at this point ...

What's available at defensive tackle? Because we need help there, badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes