PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 free agents: Who can we get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not happening
Would love to rescue AJ Green from Cincy.

We've shown interest in Devanae Parker from the Dolphins we could target him.
Chris Conley in KS
I don't DJ Chark in Jacksonville either.
Looking at teams that don't throw alot which doesn't allow their receivers to shine.
Or poor QB play hampering them.
Could Kelvin Benjamin get released next year maybe.
These are all possible targets out of all the outlined options I like Parker to go with Gordon and a developed Berrios in the flat.
Edelman Brady Gronk could all be gone next season.
Calling it now a year of Blake Bottles and a high draft pick.

I suspect that most of the money will go to Brown. We also need to sign Gostkowski, Jason McCourty, and give tenders (probably high) to Gordon and even J Jones (although I expect him to be signed to an extension before the tender). We also need sign a WR or two (probably Patterson and Dorsett). IMHO, we should not create holes wwill need to be filled. So, signing the above are my priorities. I think it unlikely that we extend Flowers.
I agree on the tenders. I hope Patterson and Dorsett don't expect top dollar like Hogan's agent. McCourty
should get a generous raise. I can see the Pats treating Gostkowski just like Adam. I don't think the Pats
will come up with big bucks for either T. Brown or Flowers. Not many team first players like Brady.

Cole beasley. Time to start looking for Edelman successor.
I’ve been saying this for awhile, but it doesn’t look like Belichick agrees with us since he didn’t get much interest when he was a FA.

Don't forget about the massive house cleaning that will probably take place. If the front office wants someone badly in 2019, they will find a way to pay what it takes.
No question there will be blood. Gronk, DMC, etc

This feels like 2009.

Just a staleness to this team right now

This whole thing feels like a Beatles reunion tour without John and George.

The biggest names for pass rushers are Cameron Wake, DeMarcus Lawrence and Jadeveon Clowney: all of whom will be expensive and don't fit the Patriots narrative for big name signings, but Brady is turning 42 when the new season starts

Pass rush has always been a necessity with this defense. We've always talked about how the defense can't get to QBs or pressure QBs when they have all the time in the time in the pocket to complete passes.

Who would we realistically be able to sign as far as pass rushers go?

I can see Clowney being tagged. No way Houston let's him walk.

2019 NFL Free Agents List | NFLTradeRumors.co
From that same website, start with their top ranked free agent to be:

nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2019-nfl-free-agents-list/

They need to bring back Josh Gordon. Hogan will probably not be re-signed.

They'll have about 30 million in cap space. That's about 3-4 decent free agents and some leftover money for emergency spending.

Last edited:
No question there will be blood. Gronk, DMC, etc

This feels like 2009.

Just a staleness to this team right now

This whole thing feels like a Beatles reunion tour without John and George.

Makes me sad to think the 2010 dynasty is ending. Was the first draft I really watched.

I agree with all your comments except that regarding Brown. I think that we should, and will, pay Brown serious money.

I think that the OL would be in great shape going into 2019 with the starters all coming back, with Karras coming back, and with Wynn being added.

I agree on the tenders. I hope Patterson and Dorsett don't expect top dollar like Hogan's agent. McCourty
should get a generous raise. I can see the Pats treating Gostkowski just like Adam. I don't think the Pats
will come up with big bucks for either T. Brown or Flowers. Not many team first players like Brady.

How does that work? Collins would be a disaster attempting to play McCourty’s position.

Crap. I was thinking of Chung, but mistakenly referred to Mccourty. I was reading another reply about cutting Mccourty and just paying off what's guaranteed

I would outbid Teams for Wake but I'm not the Cheap Skate Bargain basement GM BB. :D I am sure my Binkie Dion Lewis - DA and many others approves this message. :D

upload_2018-11-13_22-1-10.png

Need pass rushers. Clayborne stinks. Also need interior d-line help. Malcolm Brown is a bust. Shelton is a practice squad player. Need another tight end...why didn't we go after Ebron???? On a one year deal.

Offensively, we need a James White alternative. Same with Edelman, he's old. Oh..and a future QB
Lol

Offensively, we need a James White alternative. Same with Edelman, he's old. Oh..and a future QB
Lol
Better not dump Edelman just yet. He is the only wide receiver who can get open.

I would outbid Teams for Wake but I'm not the Cheap Skate Bargain basement GM BB. :D I am sure my Binkie Dion Lewis - DA and many others approves this message. :D
I’d rather win

I agree with all your comments except that regarding Brown. I think that we should, and will, pay Brown serious money.

I think that the OL would be in great shape going into 2019 with the starters all coming back, with Karras coming back, and with Wynn being added.
I could see a situation where another team thought that Brown was worth more than NE. After all, they did take Wynn with the idea that he could compete at tackle. Also, they have 6/100 top picks in April, so Brown’s loss could be mitigated that way, too.

I’d have it as 50/50, myself.

I think there are some pretty obvious moves the team will try ahead.

Shelton, Patterson, JJones (he is a RFA not a FA, my mistake), Rowe and Waddle will be goners.

Others like Malcom Brown, Flowers, Trent Brown and Hogan will be a question of what the market will pay them.

And then you have the extension candidates:

Offering DMac a 2 year extension on top of the one remaining year and bring his cap number down is one of those. Ghost at about same market rate. Dorsett should be a relatively cheap and young WR option to keep around.

JMac could end up staying for another year if he is fine taking a discount to play with his brother. Having a "cheap" veteran CB is good insurance for all those young players that we have back there.

But quite honestly the 2-3 biggest moves this offseason I'd keep an eye on are:

What happens with Brady. Will the Pats really let him go into the season on an expiring contract which essentially would mean they will be playing the franchise tag game from then on.

What happens with Gronk. We have heard all the rumors and stories about how he only wants to play here and whatnot. But when push comes to shove we will see what really happens because this offseason is the last chance for the Pats to move on while getting something in return (and for him to get maybe one last big deal).

And finally, my dark horse move of the offseason, see if the Pats trade Hightower to another team. The Titans or Lions would come to mind.

Last edited:
Without looking at salary cap ramifications, or time left on contract (off the top of my head, not sure for most of ‘em), here’s my offseason to do list.

Offense:
1. Extend Brady 1-2 yrs.
2. Re-Sign T. Brown (If it’s reasonable)
3. Decide if Wynn showed you he could be your future at LT or RT. If he is better suited for the interior, go find yourself a new RT. Cannon cannot be depended on.
4. Draft a beast of a center with a serious attitude problem.
5. Trade Grink if you can. If you can’t, let him walk. (This hurts me inside.)
6. Find a way to get Allen on a lower cap hit. If you can’t, let him walk.
7. Re-sign Dorsett if it will come cheap.
8. Say goodbye to Hogan.
9. Find a way to get an incentive laden contract signed by Gordon.
10. Bring in 1-2 draft picks, and a bunch of FA’s at WR to compete like you did this past offseason and hope for a better outcome.

Even though I didn’t list it, my number 1 priority this entire offseason is to find the future at QB. Be very aggressive and exhaust all options. If that guy isn’t there, you do whatever it takes to position yourself the next year for a particular guy.

Defense:
1.Let M. Brown walk. See what the market gives him. If it’s reasonable, bring him back.
2.Let Shelton walk.
3.Re-sign Flowers.
4.Trade or release HT. Unless you can get him on a more cap friendly deal.
5.Spend 1-3 draft picks on Edge players & LB’s.
7.Re-sign JJ if it’s reasonable. Re-sign JM if it’s reasonable. Restructure DM’s contract to a more cap friendly deal.
8.Draft an impact safety or get your ass into FA and aggressively pursue a few.
9.Go find yourself an aging veteran DT with a few solid years left and draft a few guys.

Between Jackson, Dawson & JJ, we have plenty of youth at the CB spot. I think we’re okay there, and if we can make a huge impact on front 7 this offseason, that back field will look even better. Definitely need to get more out of the S spot though. Everything I’ve read about this upcoming draft is how deep the front 7 are. Hopefully that’s true, and we can nab a few solid guys to team up with Flowers, KVN and Bentley out there. I’d really love to replace Davis and relegate Adrian to relief duty. That combo on the edge is good for no one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents