SOURCE:Patriots.com

Patsfans.com

Upcoming Opponent:
Next Up: Lions
Thu
Aug 8th
Right Now At PatsFans.com:
Solid Draft
The Patriots walked away with 10 pretty solid additions coming off draft weekend, injecting some youth into the Super Bowl champs' roster.

Current Patriots Twitter Feed:

2018 Defense vs 2019 Defense

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by BobDigital, Apr 29, 2019.

1. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +27,721
    A few comments.
    Guy is a high effort player that I have no problem with but he’s the kind of guy you always want to improve upon.
    He is not stout enough to be a run stuffing DT and gets pushed around at times but fights and holds his own.
    He’s not quick or agile enough to be a pass rushing force but makes some plays. He is ok at every thing and smart but doesn’t excel at anything. Reminds me of mike wright.

I see Bennett as a very close match to flowers in terms of usage and skillset. Long wasn’t really a good fit for the role we played him in and left because he wanted to be a dedicated pass rusher. Bennett is a much more complete player.

It’s a limited role. And the basic requirements are exactly his strengths.

Upgrade to what? The only guy we lost that they would replace could barely get in the field as the season wore on.

Love the lbs.

I think it’s CRITICAL. More important than ever. You can’t play nickel base if your lbs aren’t studs. You can’t take away threats 1,2,3 in the passing game if your lbs can’t be part of covering 4 and 5. Everything a defense really wants to do that’s days leaves lbs exposed.

More than most any other season we will have very little turnover on defense and should hit the ground running. Swapping out a couple of DL isn’t a big deal.
    Many of your concerns were there when this defense answers them by dominating the playoffs. Replacing brown with Pennell and flowers with Bennett doesn’t open up a slew of questions that can’t be answered until
    Halloween. Most were answered already last year.[/quote][/QUOTE]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
    • Love Love x 1

2. UptownPatsFan

UptownPatsFan Standin' Pat

Ratings:
    +14,126
    I know we’ve yet to see Pennel on the field (in NE), but I wouldn’t underestimate him. He’s been one of the best run stoppers in league for a couple seasons now. Plus, he has that nasty demeanor. I love that; especially in a NT/DT.

5CA2B61F-2BB8-41F8-B23C-B3F57D3C4911.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  3. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +8,088
    Why no love for Obi?

Well, first, we have 6 corners making the team: Gilmore, Jackson, Williams, McCourty, Jones and Dawson. If Obi was in the mix, perhaps we wouldn't have drafted a corner. Also, I think that the team plans on giving Dawson an opportunity to win the 6th CB spot, if there is one.

Secondly, Belichick signed Brooks, and guaranteed him $1.3M. Brooks is a top Ster with experience at safety. Sure, Obi could beat out Brooks, but this seems unlikely. Even if Brooks isn't staying, the team would simply go with ONLY 10 defensive backs, and have Dawson or Jason McCourty be the #4 safety if needed.

BOTTOM LINE
    If Brooks is terrible, perhaps Obi can make the 53.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
  4. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20,921
    Just not seeing it with Wise. I want to believe, though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. luuked

luuked Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +26,878
    I was with you when you were taking the age angle with Bennett. But his skillset is the prototype BB was looking for when he drafted Flowers. Long is closer to Clayborn than to Bennett.

You are overstating the importance of LBs and the mismatches they provide. If no one was able to consistently exploit the lack of smaller bodies last year then why should this year suddenly be dramatically different. Also looking at individual snap counts you almost have to add DMac and Chung to that group on a part-time basis because when personnel and opponents require they come down towards the box to minimize potential mismatches.

True. But that is often independent of talent as each new season also requires the coaching staff to get a handle on the respective identities of each unit and their strengths and weaknesses. But you are definitely right that we will not know before Halloween (and maybe even later) anything definitive. Even if we hit the ground running and go undefeated into the midseason schedule gauntlet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. robertweathers

robertweathers PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +65,058
    Id still like to see another piece at DE and DT but as of right now the 2019 D is looking good.

• Agree Agree x 7
  7. mgteich

Ratings:
    +8,088
    While I agree, I suspect that we will add only one DL, with Davis and Coward fighting it out for the 9th DL spot. Obviously, at any given point, we could have as many as 2 more or 2 fewer defensive players.

I suspect that we will carry
    9 DL
    4 LB
    6 CB
    3 S
    3 ST Ebner, King, Brooks(or Obi)

8. robertweathers

Ratings:
    +65,058
    I have no freaking idea what they will do in the secondary. With all the "hybrid" discussion it has really thrown me a loop as to who they will keep. Need to think through more.

9. mgteich

Ratings:
    +8,088
    I guess that I don't about the labels as much as who are the best players. Also, we will keep our early draft choice. Should we keep more than 11?

My list includes

TOP RETURNING DEFENSIVE BACKS (7)
    Gilmore
    Devin McCourty
    Chung
    Harmon
    Jason McCourty
    Jackson
    Jones

TOP ROOKIE (1)
    Williams

SPECIAL TEAMERS (2)
    And I expect us to keep special teamers Ebner and Brooks (or Obi or Crossen)

DEVELOPMENTAL
    Dawson

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. goheels22002

goheels22002 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7,085
    I'm concerned about the coaching, actually. The transition from Matt Patricia to Brian Flores was seamless, as it turns out. Right now we have some combination of Jerod Mayo and Steve Belichick (who is only defensive coach listed on the web site on May 1st). I get that it will always be a BB defense, but time and attention are needed at all three levels to develop players and improve as the season progresses. Coaching really matters in the NFL and I have more questions about the coaching on defense than concerns about player quality and depth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1

11. robertweathers

Ratings:
    +65,058
    I think that's as good of a list as any. I think they say King is a LB but he might be on the chopping block.

I wonder if Ebner might be in a fight for his job...if Obi shines.

Crossen's speed is great asset but he also might be in a spot

• Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
  12. PatsBoy12

PatsBoy12 Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +8,114
    All we have at this point is a list of names.

13. Elijah

Elijah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9,310
    Chase Winovich Film Review: What To Expect From Patriots Rookie Pass Rusher

After reading this, I feel more confident that Winovich can at least give us something similar to what Clayborn gave us. According to this article, Winovich's weaknesses are that he can overpursue the QB and have trouble setting the edge. That sure does sound familiar...

The 30 lb difference might loom large.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +27,721
    Why was it seamless is the question I guess.

And yes coaching has an awful lot to do with the tremendous long term success we have had on defense so turnover is definitely a red flag.

15. SBLIII

SBLIII 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2,346
    Winovich will be our starting DE by game 4.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. goheels22002

Ratings:
    +7,085
    Why was it seamless? I guess that we saw the same sort of progression we saw during the Matt Patricia years during 2018 with Flores at the helm. The defense gave us all heartburn early and couldn't stop anyone (remember the Lions game?), and then as the season wore on they started shutting everyone down until the ran into the Chiefs in KC in the AFCC. Fortunately, Brady and company took care of their business in that one. Then they turned in a masterpiece against the Rams.

What we saw was a defense that continued to improve at taking away the opponent's strength, extraordinary communication in the secondary to prevent the big play, and a front seven that morphed from week to week depending on the opponent's tendencies. Flores got a HC job out of that development.

My concern is about how that can happen this year without some veteran coaching on the defensive side of the ball. Maybe Steve Belichick is ready. But it seems like a lot to ask one guy to be the entire defensive coaching staff. I know the HC is a defensive genius, but this ain't Pop Warner.

17. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +27,721
    I mean was it seamless because of Patricia/Flores or because of Belichick.

The defense has progressed through the season almost every year bb has been here.

Again, we’ve seen that many times under bb.

We are plugging like minded coaches into the same system. I don’t suddenly expect us to be stupid about defense.
    To me it’s more about structuring responsibilities. Bryan Flores coordinated the way Belichick taught and directed him and the position coaches are teaching the techniques that bb wants taught the way he wants them taught.
    It’s not like we hire coaches and have them run on their own. It’s a highly developed, highly supervised structure, and Belichick has his finger on everything. He is coaching the coaches as much as he coaches the players.

• Like Like x 1
  18. goheels22002

Ratings:
    +7,085
    I don't disagree with any of what you wrote. The issue is about the transition. Unless somebody returns, the new guys are not going to have any of that institutional memory that you are talking about. The Sciano bailout before he event took the job formally was unprecedented. I think we we will be talking about this a lot in September - October, and if we're relatively comfortable with the makeup of the defensive roster now, we'll need to remember this as the season progresses.

19. everlong

everlong Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +4,402
    Week 4: This defense sucks. They should have spent the money to resign Flowers, Jones, Hicks........

Week 8: They've improved but they need to get younger at safety.

Week 12: If they can just get more pressure maybe they can make a run.

Week 17: This is why Bill is brilliant. We have all this cheap talent and all the comp picks to keep rebuilding and meanwhile the guys they let go aren't worth the money. We are winning it all!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Thank You Thank You x 1
  20. SBLIII

SBLIII 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2,346
    WASH
    RINSE
    REPEAT

LOL

• Like Like x 1