PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Training Camp - Day 2 (7/28/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy crapola Garropolites!! Now I'm reading reports that your HOF backup is "giving up"?? :eek::eek:

I honestly don't get your hatred for this guy.

Also, the antipathy many here have for Malcolm Butler and Dion Lewis.

In NE, if you work hard, keep quiet and outperform expectations expect crap from the fans......o_O

You mean if he shows flashes like Sudfeld, Derby or Tyms ? Good for Carr that he showed up to camp and it might go a long way to help him make another team's 53 but there is simply no space on this team for an unproven WR who had one nice camp. People just get way ahead of themselves..

Whoa. I'm hardly voting any vets off WR island, but a blanket statement that no rookie WR can make this roster regardless of what he does in camp?

For all of the camp binkies who ended up fading into memory, this fan community actually has a terrific record of spotting unheralded camp players who make it. It wasn't so long ago that the board was showing irrational exuberance about a super-nobody Division II CB, in a year when they'd just acquired Revis and Browner and the CB cupboard was totally full. Butler obviously had zero chance at a roster spot...until he earned one.

So due to all the discussion here about him I decided to watch a little Austin Carr highlights from Northeastern.

On the whole to be frank I didn't finish particularly high on him but some good things and I think he has #2 potential but no higher.

Pros

Plays with a lot of grit.
Fights for the extra yard
Stronger than he looks.
Solid route runner.
Dependable hands
Has good speed running horizontally
Hard to bring down if you hit his center of gravity. Can recover well from it.

Best play: short seam pass.

Cons

Lacks elite speed
Lacks elite quickness
Not particularly well coordinated
Body control questionable.
Plays with too much force sometimes and it cost him his balance which cost him yards.
When hit somewhere other than center of gravity he moves very shaky and often the play ends.
Not great awareness of bounds and first down markers.
Has a habit of jumping when he doesn't have to which hurts his YAC.
Not the punishing run blocker he should be.

Worst play: A short pass in space with a guy in front of him. Doesn't have the jukes to make him miss.

Player comparison IMO: Eric Decker but less overall talent and size.
Great scouting job ! Not sure if I agree 100%, but very well laid out and researched.

Awesome to see that my binkie, Jason Thompson, had an interception. I expect him to start on the PS, but wouldn't be surprised to see him get the call if Slater or King get hurt..

Sure, but how confident are you that he is not another Kenbrell Thompkins, Sudfeld, Tyms or Derby ? Confident enough to cut a clutch performer like Dola ?

Like the mediots, you need to learn the word "IF". No one has anointed Carr of anything yet. Most people are saying that, after 2 days, he's showing tremendous effort and, if it continues, it will make things hard for the Patriots. Preseason Games 3 and 4 will be tell tale games for Carr. As will padded practices.

IF Carr goes out and continues to wow people, more so than Tyms, Sudfeld, etc, the Patriots will be hard-pressed not to find a way to keep him. It may or may not be at the expense of Amendola. None of us know that and won't know that for another 6 weeks.

So, let's stop getting your knickers in a wad and let things play out. Or you can waste a whole lot of energy hemming and hawing about something you don't have a chance in hell of controlling..

after carefully studying first 2 days of TC i can safely say one thing:
#24 looks much better this yr . almost like a different player..
It's almost as if he switched bodies with someone . . . :eek:

It's hard to believe in 2009 the staff could have looked at JE11 and thought "we really need to keep this kid on the roster. After four seasons of hardly being on the offense, he'll turn into our #1, 100 reception guy."

They didn't. They kept him because he was the best PR they ever had.

Whoa. I'm hardly voting any vets off WR island, but a blanket statement that no rookie WR can make this roster regardless of what he does in camp?

For all of the camp binkies who ended up fading into memory, this fan community actually has a terrific record of spotting unheralded camp players who make it. It wasn't so long ago that the board was showing irrational exuberance about a super-nobody Division II CB, in a year when they'd just acquired Revis and Browner and the CB cupboard was totally full. Butler obviously had zero chance at a roster spot...until he earned one.

There is no way David Patten is making this team

So due to all the discussion here about him I decided to watch a little Austin Carr highlights from Northeastern.

On the whole to be frank I didn't finish particularly high on him but some good things and I think he has #2 potential but no higher.

Pros

Plays with a lot of grit.
Fights for the extra yard
Stronger than he looks.
Solid route runner.
Dependable hands
Has good speed running horizontally
Hard to bring down if you hit his center of gravity. Can recover well from it.

Best play: short seam pass.

Cons

Lacks elite speed
Lacks elite quickness
Not particularly well coordinated
Body control questionable.
Plays with too much force sometimes and it cost him his balance which cost him yards.
When hit somewhere other than center of gravity he moves very shaky and often the play ends.
Not great awareness of bounds and first down markers.
Has a habit of jumping when he doesn't have to which hurts his YAC.
Not the punishing run blocker he should be.

Worst play: A short pass in space with a guy in front of him. Doesn't have the jukes to make him miss.

Player comparison IMO: Eric Decker but less overall talent and size.

Umm..If you watched film of Northeastern, then how did you watch film of Austin Carr since he went to Northwestern?

Why do you claim that Carr should be a "punishing run blocker"? Because he can bench 16 times? There are so few good blocking receivers in the NFL. We've been lucky to have some in Floyd and Amendola..

He's 6'0 2/8" and 202 lbs..

You claim he lacks elite quickness yet he posted a 4.07 Shuttle, and a 6.70 3-cone. But those are better than Amendola (4.25/6.81) and Wes Welker (4.01/7.09) and only slightly slower than Edelman (3.92/6.62).

Most players, when hit somewhere other than the center of gravity, they move very shaky and the play ends.

I don't get the comparison to Eric Decker considering the following:
Eric Decker is 3 inches taller than Carr and weighs 15 lbs more.
Eric Decker was an excellent blocker coming out of college.
Eric Decker was compared to Jordy Nelson, Raymond Berry and Don Maynard when he was coming out of college.
Eric Decker lined up as the split end more often than not in college. Carr was lining up in the slot more often than not..
Decker came off a team that was run first, but still put up great receiving numbers because the QBs loved him. Carr's team was more of a balanced offense.

Far from it, this is the media trying to find something that resonates with fans to whine about. The sports stations are all over this crap when it is football season..why? because the Patriots give them no controversy. They have to manufacture this crap. Who the hell cares about what price said? Get over it.

Get over it?

I don't think you are paying attention at all.

TC Day 2 leftovers

-- Brady completed passes to James White (three), Brandin Cooks (two), Chris Hogan (two), Dion Lewis (one), Julian Edelman (one) and Rob Gronkowski (one).
-- Garoppolo completed passes to Rex Burkhead (three), Julian Edelman (two), Austin Carr (two), Dion Lewis (two), Dwayne Allen (one), Brandon Bolden (one) and Chris Hogan (one).
-- Brissett was 15 of 25 and completed passes to Austin Carr (six), Sam Cotton (two), Jacob Hollister (two), LeShun Daniels (one), Glenn Gronkowski (one), Devin Lucien (one), Tony Washington (one) and D.J. Foster (one)
-- Andrews snapped to Brady, Douglas to Garoppolo and Ferentz to Brissett.

O
-- Top plays: Garoppolo threaded passes on back-to-back plays to WR Austin Carr and TE Dwayne Allen near the back of the end zone. Both plays were great throws and contested catches in tight coverage.
-- RB Rex Burkhead: With quickness and good feel for coverage, Burkhead looks like he’ll be a factor in the pass game. Burkhead has had a real nice start to camp. He’s caught the ball very well and gotten reps as a returner, including kickoff return work on Friday.
-- Tony Garcia struggled in the final 11 on 11 drill when matched up against Caleb Kidder. Kidder put Garcia on skates and walked him right into Brissett’s lap, leading to a wobbly incompletion.

D
-- The defensive front line in many drills taking early reps included LDE Grissom, LDT Lawrence Guy, RDT Malcom Brown and RDE Flowers.
-- The second defensive line group at times included LDE Deatrich Wise Jr., DT Butler, DT Woodrow Hamilton and RDE Caleb Kidder
-- Even with Ealy back, Geneo Grissom continued to take reps at LDE opposite RDE Trey Flowers throughout the workout. Ealy actually didn’t do much during the practice.
-- Derek Rivers on one play showcased the ability to be a potential asset in coverage. Lined up against Rob Gronkowski, the rookie edge rusher put a good jam and re-direct on Gronk and stuck with him on a seam route from a trail technique, forcing Tom Brady to look elsewhere. This guy could be special once he adjusts to the speed of an NFL game.
-- It’s hard for a defensive lineman to show something when it’s shorts and jerseys, but Deatrich Wise showed the ability to be disruptive with a batted pass and pressured the QB twice.
-- DT Adam Butler batted down a Garoppolo pass in one drill.
-- Langi has taken more reps early in camp on the edge of the defensive formation than inside linebacker reps. More often than not the inside jobs are held by David Harris, Elandon Roberts or Freeny.
-- CB Cyrus Jones: Showed great coverage for much of the practice to the point that his constant presence annoyed WR Chris Hogan, who turned around after a catch and butted helmets with Jones. Jones swatted the ball away, punctuating the first semi-heated exchange of camp.
-- Jordan Richards had a solid day overall, intercepting a pass on Jimmy G, and sticking with most of the TEs and RBs he had to cover.

ST
--There was a lot of work on the kickoff team during special teams segment. The first group to cover the kicks, from left to right, consisted of Rowe, Brandon Bolden, James O’Shaughnessy, Slater, Nate Ebner, Jordan Richards, Jonathan Jones, Grissom, Brandon King and Coleman. The next group included Gilmore, Burkhead, Harvey Langi, Jason Thompson, Kyle Van Noy, Jonathan Freeny, Foster, Derek Rivers, Mike Gillislee and Cyrus Jones.

-- Injuries hit a couple players during the workout. Cody Hollister landed on his left shoulder while making a great catch on a poor Brissett thrown on the goal line. He came up with his left arm hanging limply to his side and was looked at by the medical staff before retreating to what appears to be the new blue medical evaluation tent at the far end of the field. Hollister did not return to the field.
David Jones appeared to suffer leg injury, pulling up a bit lame midway through practice. He was looked at by trainers on the sideline. He did not take any more practice reps the rest of the day, but watched the defensive back action from the field, including talking with safeties coach Steve Belichick. Jones had a noticeable limp as he walked off the field at the end of the day.
Devin Lucien was down the field at the end of the opportunity segment to close out practice. It appeared the wide receiver may have been dealing with a leg cramp and was assisted by the training staff.

-- The defensive backs wore padded mitts on their hands during the final period of practice. It’s a tactic to prevent holding the receivers during the play and is a bit more technologically advanced than wrapping their hands in towels, which had been the tactic in previous camps.

__
sources:
Day 2 Blogservations: Cornerbacks making plays
Practice report 07.28.07
Patriots 2017 Training Camp Day 2 Observation

Mea culpa....I profiled Austin Carr as 'a diminutive shifty white WR" and my stereotype was inaccurate and hurtful.

The profile I should have posted was:
1) Scrappy
2) High motor
3) Gamer
4) Sneaky athletic
5) Gritty
6) Winner
7) High ___ IQ
8) Good fundamentals
9) Plays the game the right way
10) Lunch pail guy
11) Heady and/or cerebral
12) Deceptive speed
13) Gym rat
14) Intangibles
15) Gets the most out of his abilities
16) Has a lot of heart
17) Grinder
18) Out-hustles
19) Someone you’d love your daughter to date

Your White Guy Code Word Power Rankings

I honestly don't get your hatred for this guy.

Also, the antipathy many here have for Malcolm Butler and Dion Lewis.

In NE, if you work hard, keep quiet and outperform expectations expect crap from the fans......o_O

I don't hate him at all. I'm just having fun with the JG vs GOAT stuff from the offseason. That's it.

I thought it was obvious as written. << ( Not being snarky) But I did disclaim "Just kidding" in my first Garropolite post.

FWIW: I have not said anything negative about Butler or Lewis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back