PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Training Camp - Day 2 (7/28/17)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa. I'm hardly voting any vets off WR island, but a blanket statement that no rookie WR can make this roster regardless of what he does in camp?

For all of the camp binkies who ended up fading into memory, this fan community actually has a terrific record of spotting unheralded camp players who make it. It wasn't so long ago that the board was showing irrational exuberance about a super-nobody Division II CB, in a year when they'd just acquired Revis and Browner and the CB cupboard was totally full. Butler obviously had zero chance at a roster spot...until he earned one.

You are comparing apples to oranges. The CB depth chart we had 2014 is not even close to the quality we have in out current top5 WR group. You had on top Revis, Browner*, Ryan who were essentially safe and below that a group of Arrington, Dennard, Shamiel Gray, Dax Swanson and Butler. With the WR this year it is an entirely different situation.

You are comparing apples to oranges. The CB depth chart we had 2014 is not even close to the quality we have in out current top5 WR group. You had on top Revis, Browner*, Ryan who were essentially safe and below that a group of Arrington, Dennard, Shamiel Gray, Dax Swanson and Butler. With the WR this year it is an entirely different situation.
I agree that it may be too broad of a statement to make for a Belichick coached team in the month of July, but I also think you're right that it's going to be hard to get 6 pure WRs on the 53 man roster.

The wildcard as always, will be injuries. One WR goes down or even starts on PUP and Carr's chances improve dramatically; otherwise, he's got one hell of an uphill climb.

Now go watch the Northwestern highlights and tell us what you think :)

Well what can i say. Mistakes happen. I meant Northwestern :p I know some pople don't agree 100% but that was the impression of the film I saw. I tend to go by film and not combines. Those numbers can be useful but I am more of a tape guy. I am fine if other people have different opinions. Of course I want ever Patriots player to do well and players in general to do well. The more stars the better the NFL is.

Speaking of...found this incredible tidbit from a Facebook page from a guy who was at camp today...so grain of salt...
Interesting.

Looks like Cy has a bad case of the rabbit ears

Buckley's take on pretty much everything rings as a lot more of a leader's words than that garbage Pedroia was spouting.
Leader Pedroia was giggling on the couch next to Price when the story hit TV .
Leader Pedroia offered this beauty yesterday..."I’m sure he’s going to have a conversation with Eck whenever he sees him –– he hasn’t seen him since that."

Funny thing....everybody in the organization has managed to find Eck except Price and Farrell

Poser Pedroia is far more accurate

Last edited:
I agree that it may be too broad of a statement to make for a Belichick coached team in the month of July, but I also think you're right that it's going to be hard to get 6 pure WRs on the 53 man roster.

The wildcard as always, will be injuries. One WR goes down or even starts on PUP and Carr's chances improve dramatically; otherwise, he's got one hell of an uphill climb.

And the odds of an injury sidelining one of the top five for a few games are actually pretty good, either coming out of camp or during the season (with Carr coming off the PS).

The bigger question at that point will be about matchups in the upcoming games after said injury. The coaches may choose to use White and Lewis in the passing game to make up for the absence of one of the top five, and have another defensive player on the active roster, over promoting Carr from the PS.

And the odds of an injury sidelining one of the top five for a few games are actually pretty good, either coming out of camp or during the season (with Carr coming off the PS).

The bigger question at that point will be about matchups in the upcoming games after said injury. The coaches may choose to use White and Lewis in the passing game to make up for the absence of one of the top five, and have another defensive player on the active roster, over promoting Carr from the PS.

Now see, that is the downside of the NFL* leaving the Pats alone and not suspending anyone this season.

It used to be that the Pats could count on a temporary roster spot or two, to keep a couple of players at the last cuts.

:rolleyes:

FWIW, the roster lists both at 6'1", and Carr at 195 vs. Mitchell's 200.

Unless Mitchell miraculously grew over the past year, he was 5'11 5/8 at the combine
Carr is 6'0 2/8".

So there is a good 5/8" difference between the two.

First, we've got to get him to the PS ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back