PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Practice Squad (and visits & workouts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Braverman was worked out by Pats in 16 and they've seen him in joint practices with Chicago so they know a lot about his skillset.

Andy mentioned something about an injury settlement with Chicago? Not sure how that works? Can Andy or someone explain how that effects the signing process?

Checked a couple different sources for Bears transactions. Both show Braverman as "waived" and only QB Connor Shaw as "waived/injured".

Lucien in Indy gross

giphy.gif

Braverman is an example of the reason why I wasn't so concerned about losing Austin Carr (who apparently is 6'1" despite being viewed as a short slot guy). Every year in the draft there seems to be a guy like this - Braverman was last year's guy, someone I was very intrigued about at the time.

Looks like he was cut by the Bears last year, went to their practice squad, made the active roster around Thanksgiving, and then was cut again at cutdown and wasn't signed to their PS this year.

So the interesting question is if he's just one of those generic guys who doesn't have the exceptional quickness that separated Brown, Welker, Edelman and Amendola from the rest, or if the Bears brain trust just isn't using the guy properly. Given that he hasn't been signed by the Pats yet, I'm leaning towards the former.

Carr: 6002/200
... 4.62/40, 1.60/10y .. 16 reps .. 33.5 vert/116 long .. 4.07 ss/6.70 3c
Braveman: 5097/195
... 4.53/40, 1.59/10y .. 10 reps .. 28.5 vert/112 long .. 4.16 ss/6.88 3c

WRT testing numbers, out of this crop of WR tryouts:

Tevaun Smith: 6003/205
... 4.41/40, 1.51/10y .. 13 reps .. 38 vert/122 long .. 4.27 ss/6.68 3c

Smith was signed as a UDFA out of Iowa by Indy in 2016. Born and bred in Toronto, he was also selected with the 8th (last) pick of the 1st Round of the CFL Draft by Edmonton (FWIW).

In his last three seasons at Iowa, he racked up 99 receptions for 1470 yards and 7 TDs.

Spent 2016 mostly on the Indy PS (active 2 games, no stats).

He was Waived/injured (groin) by Indy on August 9th of this year, and released with a settlement on August 16th.

Braverman is an example of the reason why I wasn't so concerned about losing Austin Carr (who apparently is 6'1" despite being viewed as a short slot guy). Every year in the draft there seems to be a guy like this - Braverman was last year's guy, someone I was very intrigued about at the time.

Looks like he was cut by the Bears last year, went to their practice squad, made the active roster around Thanksgiving, and then was cut again at cutdown and wasn't signed to their PS this year.

So the interesting question is if he's just one of those generic guys who doesn't have the exceptional quickness that separated Brown, Welker, Edelman and Amendola from the rest, or if the Bears brain trust just isn't using the guy properly. Given that he hasn't been signed by the Pats yet, I'm leaning towards the former.
Unlike Carr, whom I'm VERY high on, Braverman has good speed (4.47) and quickness (6.86 3 cone).

The overwhelming likelihood is that none of these guys - Carr, Braverman, etc. - will ever amount to anything. Some of you see any old undrafted white receiver and a wet spot immediately materializes on your pants.

The overwhelming likelihood is that none of these guys - Carr, Braverman, etc. - will ever amount to anything. Some of you see any old undrafted white receiver and a wet spot immediately materializes on your pants.

But, underwear Olympics!

Interesting . they give him a raise . next week they waive him

Here is the week 3 list of players that the Patriots brought in for a visit/workout:

Mike Reiss‏Verified account @MikeReiss
Patriots had WR River Cracraft, WR Kenny Lawler, DB Robert Nelson, WR Nelson Spruce and DE Jonathan Woodard in for free-agent workouts.

5:11 PM - Sep 18, 2017

If I am not mistaken, this is a list of the players that the Patriots have brought in for a visit and/or workout since they were required to report that information to the NFL, after the roster cut down to 53 players:

9/5, Prior to Week 1:
CB Jarrell Carter
CB Cody Riggs
CB Channing Stribling
CB Jomal Wiltz
TE Alex Ellis

9/8, Prior to Week 1:
QB Matt Barkley
QB Matt McGloin
QB David Fales
WR Gabe Marks
WR Jordan Payton
WR Marquess Wilson

9/11 and 9/13, Prior to Week 2:
LS Taybor Pepper
P Austin Rehkow
QB Mitch Leidner
WR Daniel Braverman
WR Tevaun Smith
WR Jahad Thomas
WR Bryan Walters

9/18, Prior to Week 3:
CB/FS Robert Nelson
DE Datone Jones
DE Jonathan Woodard
WR River Cracraft
WR Kenny Lawler
WR Nelson Spruce

Chargers just cut Geremy Davis. He's worth bringing in for the practice squad. Big guy with excellent hands, runs good routes, can't get separation, but excellent at positioning his body.

If I am not mistaken, this is a list of the players that the Patriots have brought in for a visit and/or workout since they were required to report that information to the NFL, after the roster cut down to 53 players:

9/5, Prior to Week 1:
CB Jarrell Carter
CB Cody Riggs
CB Channing Stribling
CB Jomal Wiltz
TE Alex Ellis

9/8, Prior to Week 1:
QB Matt Barkley
QB Matt McGloin
QB David Fales
WR Gabe Marks
WR Jordan Payton
WR Marquess Wilson

9/11 and 9/13, Prior to Week 2:
LS Taybor Pepper
P Austin Rehkow
QB Mitch Leidner
WR Daniel Braverman
WR Tevaun Smith
WR Jahad Thomas
WR Bryan Walters

9/18, Prior to Week 3:
CB/FS Robert Nelson
DE Datone Jones
DE Jonathan Woodard
WR River Cracraft
WR Kenny Lawler
WR Nelson Spruce

Thanks! I brought the original post up to date through 9/13 a couple days ago. I'll try to add these new tryouts later today, though I may wait to see who fills the 10th spot on the PS.

I'm really surprise signed somebody yet. They still have a PS spot open, AND they need WRs and DLinemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots