PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Practice Squad (and visits & workouts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That type of quickness, yet he was released from the Texans practice squad. Have to assume it's just not translating.

Also, given that Reiss is speculating that Grissom is being promoted, I wonder what the corresponding roster move is? Sadly I'm afraid it might be Burkhead being placed on IR with broken ribs that were originally thought to be bruised last week. We'll see....

Or Valentine??? maybe?

About time we brought in McCarron. I was pounding the table for him as an Edelman understudy. He can return punts, and his short area quickness is unreal on routes with multiple breaks.

Wow, nice speed and quickness. Also, though only 5'9", had a 40 inch vertical

I guess our WRs are healthy enough to play this weekend, with McCarron only being signed to the practice squad.

That type of quickness, yet he was released from the Texans practice squad. Have to assume it's just not translating.

Also, given that Reiss is speculating that Grissom is being promoted, I wonder what the corresponding roster move is? Sadly I'm afraid it might be Burkhead being placed on IR with broken ribs that were originally thought to be bruised last week. We'll see....
If Burkhead goes on IR, He may be done for the year, since Mitchell and McClellin are already on there. Let's hope that's not the case. If it is the case, nice knowing ya Burkhead, since he only signed a 1 year contract.

Wow, nice speed and quickness. Also, though only 5'9", had a 40 inch vertical

I guess our WRs are healthy enough to play this weekend, with McCarron only being signed to the practice squad.

???
You think that McCarran is ready to be on the 53? How well does he know our system? If we needed a WR, there are a couple already on the PS.

???
You think that McCarran is ready to be on the 53? How well does he know our system? If we needed a WR, there are a couple already on the PS.
He comes from a system that is almost identical to the Pat's system. If he came from any other system I'd agree.

If Burkhead goes on IR, He may be done for the year, since Mitchell and McClellin are already on there. Let's hope that's not the case. If it is the case, nice knowing ya Burkhead, since he only signed a 1 year contract.

Well, it could be that they think Mitchell or McClellin won't be ready to come back this year either. Depends on who is healthier, has more value at the position, etc. We'll see.

He comes from a system that is almost identical to the Pat's system. If he came from any other system I'd agree.

Sadly, that's exactly the reason why I'm concerned about McCarron. If there's anyone other than BB /McD who can figure out how to use him to his strengths, it's BoB. And yet with the Texans' wide receiver issues, he was cut from their practice squad. Makes me think he's a long way from making an NFL impact, and that the Texans themselves question if he ever will.

And that's not unusual for these types of guys. Took Welker and Amendola a few years to learn enough to make a 53 man roster.

About time we brought in McCarron. I was pounding the table for him as an Edelman understudy. He can return punts, and his short area quickness is unreal on routes with multiple breaks.
I'm definitely intrigued! But why hasn't his skills translated over yet?

I know Edelman needed a couple of seasons to become who he is.... maybe McCarron is still a project. Is there a chance he can crack the roster and make contributions this year?

Sadly, that's exactly the reason why I'm concerned about McCarron. If there's anyone other than BB /McD who can figure out how to use him to his strengths, it's BoB. And yet with the Texans' wide receiver issues, he was cut from their practice squad. Makes me think he's a long way from making an NFL impact, and that the Texans themselves question if he ever wil

Right.... not to mention New England's playbook is super-complicated, and the post-snap adjustments that Brady expects of his WRs is a lot to ask of a rookie.

But he definately has the right tools to thrive here if he can figure it out

busy day for Pats did not stop . the new QB is in..

interesting choice

Heinicke, 24, wound up signing on with the Vikings as an undrafted free agent out of Old Dominion back in May of 2015. He managed to make the 53-man roster during his rookie season but wasn’t active for a single game.

Unfortunately, the Vikings elected to waive Heinicke with an injury designation coming out of the preseason and he later reverted to their injured reserve list. Minnesota waived him with an injury settlement a few weeks ago.

busy day for Pats did not stop . the new QB is in..

interesting choice

Heinicke, 24, wound up signing on with the Vikings as an undrafted free agent out of Old Dominion back in May of 2015. He managed to make the 53-man roster during his rookie season but wasn’t active for a single game.

Unfortunately, the Vikings elected to waive Heinicke with an injury designation coming out of the preseason and he later reverted to their injured reserve list. Minnesota waived him with an injury settlement a few weeks ago.

From wiki:

"In 2012, Heinicke led the Monarchs to an 11–2 record, losing in the playoffs quarterfinals to Georgia Southern. That year, Heinicke passed for an FCS-record 5076 yards, 44 touchdowns, and 14 interceptions. He ran for 470 yards and 11 touchdowns. He additionally punted 11 times for 475 yards. On September 22, 2012, against New Hampshire, Heinicke passed for a Division I-record 730 yards and threw five touchdowns. In 2012, Heinicke was awarded All-American honors, CAA Offensive Player of the Year, and the Walter Payton Award.[1] Old Dominion finished ranked #6 in the FCS."

We just found our future emergency punter. Hold record for longest punt in Old Dom history (61 yards). Interesting player. 4.62 in the 40. Killed it as a soph then solid as a junior during their first year in Conference USA but had a down senior year.

Well, it could be that they think Mitchell or McClellin won't be ready to come back this year either. Depends on who is healthier, has more value at the position, etc. We'll see.

Sadly, that's exactly the reason why I'm concerned about McCarron. If there's anyone other than BB /McD who can figure out how to use him to his strengths, it's BoB. And yet with the Texans' wide receiver issues, he was cut from their practice squad. Makes me think he's a long way from making an NFL impact, and that the Texans themselves question if he ever will.

And that's not unusual for these types of guys. Took Welker and Amendola a few years to learn enough to make a 53 man roster.

Welker was originally signed by the Chargers as a UDFA in 2004, made the 53 out of Camp, but was waived after week-1. After clearing waivers, Welker chose the 'Fins over the Chargers' PS offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes