PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Practice Squad (and visits & workouts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cam Johnson, 6034/268, pick #237 from Virginia by SFO in the 2012 draft.
... 4.81/40, 1.61/10yd .. 16 reps .. 35 vert/115 lj .. 4.38 ss/7.20 3c

Nice numbers for a guy his size. Has played mostly at OLB in various 3-4 defenses.

2012 - Only active 2 games (11 snaps) as a rookie with SFO (Fangio was DC). RJF's last season in SFO, btw.

2013 - Traded by SFO to INDY during cutdowns (RJF was also signed with Indy in 2013, coincidentally). Active for 12 games, 102 D-snaps + 246 ST snaps. Recorded 7 TT. (Manusky was DC). The Pats may have seen Johnson in the Divisional round of the playoffs that season, probably on ST (he recorded one tackle that game).
2014 - Still in Indy, but tore his triceps in wk-1 and spent the season on IR.

2015 - Waived by INDY in cutdowns; signed to CLE PS. Promoted for season finale v. the Steelers (shockingly, the Browns lost); played 50% of the D-snaps at OLB (3 tackles) in that game. (Jim O'Neil was DC.)
2016 - Waived by CLE in cutdowns; signed to ARZ PS on Sep-27.

Ended up playing 12 games (9 starts) at OLB with CLE last season (after being poached off the ARZ PS on Oct-1, just a couple days after ARZ signed him):
... 350 D-snaps primarily as the 5th man in a rotation (+89 ST snaps)
... 29 TT .. 3 sacks .. 2 FF .. 1 PD
(Ray Horton, DC).

Waived again by CLE during cutdowns this season and has been on the tryout/workout circuit since, AFAIK.
With Wise hurting I wonder if there is more to this casual workout.

With Wise hurting I wonder if there is more to this casual workout.

Might be. Johnson sees like he may be a more effective scrimmage player than Grissom. With the LB corps being pretty thin, even without injuries, bolstering the DL edge could certainly help (probably more than Freeny).

WRT Wise - he participated in practice today. Although it was only a walkthru, injured guys who clearly have no chance to play the next game don't typically participate in walkthrus.

Might be. Johnson sees like he may be a more effective scrimmage player than Grissom. With the LB corps being pretty thin, even without injuries, bolstering the DL edge could certainly help (probably more than Freeny).

WRT Wise - he participated in practice today. Although it was only a walkthru, injured guys who clearly have no chance to play the next game don't typically participate in walkthrus.
Yea I saw that about Wise. Howe says hes fine.

FWIW ...

IIRC, the Pats gave him a workout before he signed with the Rams in 2014.

He had a decent season last year. Went to a crappy team this season. Doesn't bill love Rutgers players. Big target.

No spot for him on the roster, though.

Unless ...

"Hey! Dorsett! Go clock that Miami guy OB after the whistle. And do it hard enough to get a suspension."

FWIW ...

IIRC, the Pats gave him a workout before he signed with the Rams in 2014.

He limited in practice with an injury to his knee which might be why the released.

I also suggest to read the other thread Kohn linked to in one of his tweets where he tells a story about Gruden.. interesting stuff..

Just read that and came back here to see you recommended it. Sounds like Gruden gets so many chances at least partially because he's a good dude.

Just read that and came back here to see you recommended it. Sounds like Gruden gets so many chances at least partially because he's a good dude.

Reading that story, it makes me think that Gruden's broadcasting style on MNF is identical to him coaching style. Grinding but overwhelmingly positive and supportive. No wonder his players love him. Always seemed like Belichick loved dealing with him too.

Reading that story, it makes me think that Gruden's broadcasting style on MNF is identical to him coaching style. Grinding but overwhelmingly positive and supportive. No wonder his players love him. Always seemed like Belichick loved dealing with him too.

I think Lombardi said in this weeks GM Street (correct me if it was another podcast) that Gruden actually is almost the opposite of his TV persona (pretty negative about players, sometime kneejerk wants to cut people) and that's why it is very challenging to be a GM for him.

Interesting to hear so many contrasting things...

I think Lombardi said in this weeks GM Street (correct me if it was another podcast) that Gruden actually is almost the opposite of his TV persona (pretty negative about players, sometime kneejerk wants to cut people) and that's why it is very challenging to be a GM for him.

Interesting to hear so many contrasting things...

I suppose, like most humans do, he treats different people differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back