PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Practice Squad (and visits & workouts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, our backup STer, Grissom, is being paid as the 54th player. This is really good deal for the team and for Grissom. He can be activated when necessary, or not. There is no negative other than the use of a small amount of salary.

Also, we have some idea of the top half of food chain among PS players.

from Reiss

Patriots are known for paying practice-squad players more than the minimum as an incentive for them to stick with the club. That has continued this season, with defensive end Geneo Grissom given a base salary of $615,000, which is what he would have received if on the active roster. Consider that the minimum salary for practice-squad players, and what most earn across the NFL, is $122,400. The Patriots are also paying practice-squad players Willie Beavers ($255,000), Angelo Blackson ($255,000), D.J. Foster ($255,000) and Demarcus Ayers ($170,000) at an increased rate.

So, our backup STer, Grissom, is being paid as the 54th player. This is really good deal for the team and for Grissom. He can be activated when necessary, or not. There is no negative other than the use of a small amount of salary.

Also, we have some idea of the top half of food chain among PS players.

Not full though. Its also a demand thing.
The might (or not but I hope so) see Travis and D.Jones as more valuable than f.e. Beavers or Blackson esp. long-term . but no need (outside pressure) to pay them more at the moment.

Not full though. Its also a demand thing.
The might (or not but I hope so) see Travis and D.Jones as more valuable than f.e. Beavers or Blackson esp. long-term . but no need (outside pressure) to pay them more at the moment.

Blackson and Ayers are really intriguing to me.

Because I like thinking about shiny new toys.

(No worries. I'll be sooo over them by week-3!)

So, our backup STer, Grissom, is being paid as the 54th player. This is really good deal for the team and for Grissom. He can be activated when necessary, or not. There is no negative other than the use of a small amount of salary...
This is really Not a good deal for the team.

With only 4 draft picks left and our 3rd/4th round pick being tied up in the Rowe trade, I don't think they'd be willing to give up anymore of this years draft capitol. If anything else happens it will probably involve future picks or players.

Edit: This doesn't include the 2 potential 4th round compensatory picks.

Last edited:
If the 49ers were inclined to trade Navarro Bowman I'd be interested despite his checkered injury history.

Blackson and Ayers are really intriguing to me.

Because I like thinking about shiny new toys.

(No worries. I'll be sooo over them by week-3!)
In the highlight video, DeMarcus Ayers seems to play faster than his 4.70 40 speed, with good body control and acceleration (similar to Wes Welker).

If the 49ers were inclined to trade Navarro Bowman I'd be interested despite his checkered injury history.
With the big drop from ~$11 million in cap room to ~$5 million over the past few weeks after the cap started accounting for 70ish players instead of 51, it's worth noting that a player like Bowman wouldn't even fit under the cap right now without some kind of nontrivial cap-saving move.

With only 4 draft picks left and our 3rd/4th round pick being tied up in the Rowe trade, I don't think they'd be willing to give up anymore of this years draft capitol. If anything else happens it will probably involve future picks or players.

Edit: This doesn't include the 2 potential 4th round compensatory picks.
6 picks with no sevenths is fine. BTW, I expect that we'll get a 4th and 5th compensatory pick.

In the highlight video, DeMarcus Ayers seems to play faster than his 4.70 40 speed, with good body control and acceleration (similar to Wes Welker).

Welker didn't test well for long speed, either - a 4.65 40-yd at his pro day, according to nfldraftscout - although he apparently tested better than Ayers in agility - 4.01 shuttle, 7.01 3-cone versus Ayers' 4.35/7.30.

Even so, successful punt returning also seems to require an above average ability to anticipate the opening seam and to make an instantaneous decision.

Somebody with those #s isn't going to help this team do what it needs to do to win.

I agree that those agility testing numbers are significantly higher than those of most Pats offensive skill players, numbers that range from 3.81 (Cooks) to 4.34 (Mitchell) for the shuttle, and range from 6.62 (Edelman) to 7.05 (White) for the 3-cone.

OTOH, I don't think that it's entirely unreasonable to speculate, "maybe he plays faster than his numbers." Malcom Butler (4.62/40yd ... 4.27 shuttle ... 7.20 3-cone) certainly does. I attribute that to his elite ability to read and anticipate the action coming at him at game speed and to instantaneously react (most of the time) correctly.

So, it seems possible that Ayers could possess a similar ability to read and react to punt coverage coming at him to the degree that it more than compensates for his (tested) lack of speed and agility. The obvious caveat being that this still may not enable him to understand pass routes and sight adjustments and be in sync with Brady (a whole different ballgame, if you'll pardon the pun).

And then, too, it's difficult to believe that BB would spend a 53-man roster spot on a player who's only good for returning punts/kicks.

See?! The bloom is off the Ayer's "rose" for me already!

strange that Rekhow is available . some boards even had him drafted..

Foster is a big PS loss also in terms of scout team (RB/WR out&slot/KR)..

From the visits best player would probably be ex DET OLB Antwione Williams unless they have enough versatile LBs that are slow and can't cover. But he did have PD and 4 tackles against NE few weeks ago so it wouldn't be a surprise.. (and yes, despite size he does have S experience..)

Williams has a ton of tools to work with as he lined up all over Georgia Southern's defense, including safety. The Lion's will like his range vs the run but he's a two down player until he's more comfortable in coverage. --Mark Dulgerian

OLB Nicholas Grigsby on the other hand is very quick and fast and lighter of course with little else known.

Two guys that are possibly interesting re future are “Dola clone“ WR Marks and big, blocking&receiving productive TE from small school O'Malley.

@RB

RB/KR Dalton Crossan, you know - the lacrosse player and NE official pre-draft visit, was waived w inj. settlement 3 weeks ago

The other pre-draft contact still out there is Jahad Thomas and is in DJ Foster category (undersized, quick, receiver, returner).

Interesting rookie FAs are FBs Sam Rogers and Freddie Stevenson

Matt Jones clears waivers if they are in LGB reclamation mood..
Troymaine Pope out there as well

not much PS RB around..

@RB

RB/KR Dalton Crossan, you know - the lacrosse player and NE official pre-draft visit, was waived w inj. settlement 3 weeks ago

The other pre-draft contact still out there is Jahad Thomas and is in DJ Foster category (undersized, quick, receiver, returner).

Interesting rookie FAs are FBs Sam Rogers and Freddie Stevenson

Matt Jones clears waivers if they are in LGB reclamation mood..
Troymaine Pope out there as well

not much PS RB around..
Aside from keeping their emergency lists updated, I don't know if they'll be looking at available RBs as hard as they might be (or at least should be) looking at those players available at other positions, such as Big WR, Pass-Rusher, Coverage LB, and even backup LG/LT.

Somebody with those #s isn't going to help this team do what it needs to do to win.

More than likely you are right. He appears to be ****y, tough, balanced PR/Slot WR. The kind that does not have the measurables but has the toughness to succeed e.g. Jarvis Landry....

Aside from keeping their emergency lists updated, I don't know if they'll be looking at available RBs as hard as they might be (or at least should be) looking at those players available at other positions, such as Big WR, Pass-Rusher, Coverage LB, and even backup LG/LT.

Speaking of big WRs Lombardi was very high on Bug Howard now FA..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST