PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Practice Squad (and visits & workouts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patriots worked out the following:

Patriots worked out the following:

Expected CB and TE position would be considered.
Lombardi expects a QB too.

I liked Stribling as a low round/udfa option pre-draft.
Despite his lack of speed and inconsistency he looked like a playmaker.
Happy Bill's giving him a look.

PRACTICE SQUAD - Updated as of 9/5/17

OG Karras
OC Ferentz
OT/OG Willie Beavers (from MIN) - added 9/4/17
WR C. Hollister
WR/PR DeMarcus Ayers (from PIT) - added 9/4/17
RB Foster
DE/ST Grissom
DT/DE Angelo Blackson (from TEN) - added 9/4/17
SAF D. Jones
SAF/ST Travis

Removed:
LB/ST Bates - 9/4
DT Kilgo - 9/4

Its damn intriguing.

Its not like the guy was a bust or a UFA. 4th rd pick. He played 25% of the D snaps at TN. A few fans down there thought he was going to break out this year. This guy is an NFL caliber player. Decent rotational guy.

To your point they sure look like they want to play some serious 3-3-5.
And for whatever it's worth, in 2015 Bill himself attended Auburn's pro day, which among others included Angelo Blackson.
Maybe he was just in the neighborhood, who knows.

And needless to say, I am very, very happy with the signing of Willie Beavers to the PS.
Chances are, he won't amount to much if anything; but neither will Adrian the Waddle, and Beavers is younger and much more athletic. Let's see what Dante can mold from a superior pile of clay this time.

Too bad that Trevor Bates instead of the non-prospect Lil' Jimmy Ferentz had to be let go in order to make room for him.

And for whatever it's worth, in 2015 Bill himself attended Auburn's pro day, which among others included Angelo Blackson.
Maybe he was just in the neighborhood, who knows.
Yep and gotta think BB and Caserio had good intel from Jon Robinson (who cut him) which made them feel better about picking him up.

Like Lombardi said (and Brissett confirmed) for Pats QB screening process - they like to bring more QB prospects at the same time and see how they react..

I don't believe any of those three have any Practice Squad eligibility remaining. Another QB on the Practice Squad would make sense, for use on the scout team. With that in mind this is just due diligence, in case of emergency.

Note that the Pats attempted to sign Fales back in December of 2014:

Bears promote rookie QB David Fales to active roster

The Chicago Bears promoted rookie quarterback David Fales to the active roster from their practice squad on Saturday. The move, according to two league sources, came after the Patriots made a push to sign Fales.​

I don't believe any of those three have any Practice Squad eligibility remaining. Another QB on the Practice Squad would make sense, for use on the scout team. With that in mind this is just due diligence, in case of emergency.

Note that the Pats attempted to sign Fales back in December of 2014:

Bears promote rookie QB David Fales to active roster

The Chicago Bears promoted rookie quarterback David Fales to the active roster from their practice squad on Saturday. The move, according to two league sources, came after the Patriots made a push to sign Fales.​

agreed. shadow roster tryouts most likely (baring a shocker)

i put it here since we don't have a thread for these tryouts. last yr we included them in roster moves thread but being in the sticker section doesn't function as well for this sort of posts, discussions..

I don't know whether or not this has been previously posted, but ...

ADDED to the PS on Thursday, filling the spot that was vacated by promoting Karras to the Active Roster (to, in turn, fill the vacancy created when Malcolm Mitchell was moved to IR):

DB JOMAL WILTZ, 2017 UDFA from Iowa State who was originally signed by PHL. Wiltz had a tryout with NE on Tuesday (9/5/17) along with 3 other DBs and TE Alex Ellis.

Since the (very appropriate) change to the thread title has been made, I'll be updating the starter post to reflect that change and to list the current PS membership.

Also, DT Darius Kilgo has reportedly been signed to the JAX PS.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CURRENT Patriots PRACTICE SQUAD (as of 9/8/17):

Cody Hollister WR
D.J. Foster RB
Geneo Grissom st-DL/ED
David Jones SAF
Damarius Travis SAF
James Ferentz OC
DeMarcus Ayers WR/PR/KR
Angelo Blackson DT/DE
Willie Beavers OG/OT
Jomal Wiltz DB

You can add KR and ST to Wiltz. Kenny Moore “replacement“.

Marquess Wilson sounds familiar to me. Why is that?

Marquess Wilson sounds familiar to me. Why is that?

In the 2013 draft, Wilson (6025/195) was highly-regarded for his college stats, height and athletic testing numbers, including a 6.65 3-cone, but was rejected from most draft boards for quitting on his college team (Washington State) during his junior season after alleging "abuse" by the coaching staff.

The Bears took him at #236, but he never performed very well for them, posting an average catch rate of about 55%.

While with the Bears, Wilson broke his foot in a game in December 2015, broke it again in June 2016 and started the season on PUP. He was activated in November 2016, and broke the same foot for the 3rd time a month later.

The Jets picked him up this past June as an SFA, but cut him after their 3rd pre-season game.

from Reiss

Patriots are known for paying practice-squad players more than the minimum as an incentive for them to stick with the club. That has continued this season, with defensive end Geneo Grissom given a base salary of $615,000, which is what he would have received if on the active roster. Consider that the minimum salary for practice-squad players, and what most earn across the NFL, is $122,400. The Patriots are also paying practice-squad players Willie Beavers ($255,000), Angelo Blackson ($255,000), D.J. Foster ($255,000) and Demarcus Ayers ($170,000) at an increased rate.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes