PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Draft Prospect Thread

You can try to rationalzie away as much as you want, under the current regime there won't be anyone on the team that has anything to do with violence against women.

Agree with it or disagree all you want, it won't happen.

I suppose you're right. It just seems a bit extreme. Only the Sith deal in absolutes.

I suppose you're right. It just seems a bit extreme. Only the Sith deal in absolutes.

In a fantasy world far, far away maybe :)

Whether we agree with those moral stances or not at the very least the Patriots front office is prepared to stand for something and isn't just ducking for PR purposes. On some level being able to play in the NFL is a big privilege and I don't see why we can't have higher expectations out of those that are let in.

You gotta have a code..

Whether we agree with those moral stances or not at the very least the Patriots front office is prepared to stand for something and isn't just ducking for PR purposes. On some level being able to play in the NFL is a big privilege and I don't see why we can't have higher expectations out of those that are let in.

You gotta have a code..

Yeah, the only time to relax your moral code is when it comes to choosing a commissioner . . . or extorting tax dollars from cities for new stadiums with threats of moving the team . . . or dealing with inconvenient studies on concussions from repetitive head trauma . . .

Watched tape of the big dt from Oklahoma state and thought he might be similar to Valentine as a fourth or fifth round pick.

Any thoughts on OT roderick johnson from fsu? Likely to draft a tackle in this draft.

You gotta have a code..

In fairness (and I almost forgot about this), LeGarrette Blount was suspended for a season at Oregon for punching someone in the jaw. He turned out fine and barely anyone remembers it.

Any thoughts on OT roderick johnson from fsu? Likely to draft a tackle in this draft.
Yes and he's gonna fly up the board after combine. He's at 1 rounder all the way, simulary to Jack Conklin and Taylor Decker. Both picked last year by former Pats people, so he's very high on my board.

I'm making my way down the RBs. I'll watch him and Hill in more detail next.

A player that is near binky level and can do what your looking for is Clemson RB Wayne Gallman. A complete RB that finishes runs, is good in short yardage, and has good ball security. He just looks like he knows what he's doing:

He's not the fastest guy and will need to get used to running under singleback & I-formation as well as improve pass blocking but he's a natural runner/all-around RB. Currently my third RB after Fournette/McCaffrey.

-------------------------------
McCaffrey's route running is absurd for a RB. I agree with @manxman2601 that he could replace Amendola. Patient, runs with power, doesn't fumble, etc. Shame we have Lewis/White but he's a beast. Definitely a potential BPA pick and could play with those two anyway in 2017.

i just don't see using a #1 on a Amendola replacement.

Good news in more ways than one..

I don't usually tag a "binky" but here I go. Saw him in 2014 and thought he was a beast, big, fast. In 2016 he came back from an MCL and Hodgkins Lymphoma and looked just as good. We could corner the market on Hodgkins Lymphoma players. Not meant to be unny.

I want more explosive athleticism out of my 1st-round pick (even the last one of the 1st round) if he isn't an OLman or DT (or QB).
I would be OK with Anderson…at 64…if Hightower leaves...
Ok with Anderson even if High stays

Yeah, the only time to relax your moral code is when it comes to choosing a commissioner . . . or extorting tax dollars from cities for new stadiums with threats of moving the team . . . or dealing with inconvenient studies on concussions from repetitive head trauma . . .

I don't disagree with what you are saying but also don't see how any of this is connecteed to having an organizational stance against violence (or other issues).

In fairness (and I almost forgot about this), LeGarrette Blount was suspended for a season at Oregon for punching someone in the jaw. He turned out fine and barely anyone remembers it.

He punched a player on another team on the field. I don't see how you can compare this in any way to another player punching a female student in a fast food store. Those two things are universes apart.

Anyone think we will draft a QB in the later rounds? Would you gamble on a guy like chad kelly with his off the field problems. Coming off a knee injury.

He punched a player on another team on the field. I don't see how you can compare this in any way to another player punching a female student in a fast food store. Those two things are universes apart.

now you're just being sexist.;)

Watched tape of the big dt from Oklahoma state and thought he might be similar to Valentine as a fourth or fifth round pick.
Vincent Taylor? In such a deep DL draft, I wouldn't use even a 7th-rounder on him (just like I wouldn't have used even a 7th-rounder on Valentine, and still wouldn't).

Anyone think we will draft a QB in the later rounds? Would you gamble on a guy like chad kelly with his off the field problems. Coming off a knee injury.
I liked Davis Webb but he will likely be gone before we would commit to another QB. I believe we will draft one and I would consider Phil Nelson from East Carolina. Someone had to throw the ball to Zay Jones.

Anyone think we will draft a QB in the later rounds? Would you gamble on a guy like chad kelly with his off the field problems? Coming off a knee injury.
Only as a UDFA. I don't see any QBs who would be worthy of a draft pick this year.

From what I've heard on podcasts, Kelly has a strong sense of entitlement. Doesn't sound very Patriot-y.

I'm not really a fan of Dont'a Foreman personally but this is an interesting take by PFF on accusations that he isn't a good pass blocker. I know some people have concerns about PFF, but they do watch every play:

While one scout’s opinion is like a star amongst the galaxy, it’s always notable to hear various viewpoints during draft season. A recent comment raised a few eyebrows around the PFF offices, as one league source apparently referred to Texas running back D’Onta Foreman’s blocking skills as “awful.” Rotoworld has that comment and other player notes on Foreman, but we checked in with our top running back analyst, Matt Claassen, to get his more level-headed view on the matter. Here’s what Claassen had to say about Foreman:

“Foreman did not give up a sack, and rarely allowed any pressure in 2016, but Texas does run an offense that limits how often running backs have to pick up defenders in pass protection. Foreman carried out a lot of play-action fakes and run-pass option plays, and stayed in on quick passes that led to him not having to engage with a defender on the vast majority of his snaps in pass protection.

When he did have the opportunity to pick up a defender one-on-one, he seemed to go low for a cut block more often than other backs, despite his bigger frame. I’m not sure whether that is due to coaching or preference, but he generally did well with those. When he took on defenders up high, there were times where he tried to just throw a shoulder into the pass-rusher and duck his head, instead of properly engaging and keeping the rusher in front of him. That will be an area where he will need to improve. Based on his tape, however, categorizing him as untested may be more accurate.

That said, there are not many colleges that utilize running backs in pass protection the same way the NFL does anymore, and even fewer that are actually successful at it. Pass protection is typically the biggest adjustment for running backs transitioning from college to the NFL, and Foreman, along with the majority of the backs in the draft class, won’t be an exception.”

I realise this is quoted in full but it was difficult to parse so aplogies to the mods.

Can Texas RB D’Onta Foreman pass protect? | PFF

I don't know if he really counts as a prospect . but in BB world he just might..

And there were two articles about this former lacrosse RB Dalton Crossan recently
(plus he was scouted/interviewed by the Pats for what is worth) so here he is:

Jim McBride: This former UNH star isn’t into the Chris Hogan comparisons. He just wants to make an NFL roster. - The Boston Globe

Could Dalton Crossan be the next Chris Hogan? | FOX Sports
___

Quite funny interview here.
NFL Draft Diamonds Prospect Interview: Dalton Crossan, RB, University of New Hampshire

The did sort of put it in his mouth but he certainly doesn't sell himself short:

If you could compare your play to one player in the NFL who would it be and why?
-- I would say I am a bigger version of Danny Woodhead, or a Julian Edelman who can also run the ball out of the backfield.

Then again he did struggle with:

What was the hardest college class you ever had to take?
-- Accounting

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back