PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Draft Prospect Thread

I remember watchin some Michael Lombardi interview where he stated that James White looked like Ladain Tomlison in some practices when they evaluated him. Then he said that that look vanished. i am hyped about Mccafrey too, but we will see what plans BB&co have.

Which is weird because Mayo said multiple times on the Ex Pats podcast (with Koppen and Girardi) that White was "pooh" and completely useless during his time with the Pats, especially early on.

I agree on posters overrating White abit. He had a great SB, and he's always been a sure thing receiving, but rushing (minus SB) he's been blahh. We almost give away our plans when White is in (pass) vs Blount (run)

Personally, I think his relative "success" breaking a handful of tackles at the end of the SB had a lot to do with Atlanta being totally gassed. He improved his play considerably compared to last year but I agree that he is somewhat the diametrical opposite of Blount and often gives away the pass as much as Blount the run.

Which is weird because Mayo said multiple times on the Ex Pats podcast (with Koppen and Girardi) that White was "pooh" and completely useless during his time with the Pats, especially early on.

I believe the story was that they loved White in early training camp before the pads came on. Then they came on and he couldn't do much through the contact.

Very consistent with Mayo's opinion, and pretty much everyone's opinion on this site at the time. To think that man is the one who shed three tackles to win the Super Bowl -- White deserves all the credit in the world for working on that aspect of his game to make himself NFL-competent.

Edit: found it, Pats Pulpit has the transcript: Michael Lombardi talks Belichick, Garoppolo, and laughing at Colts
“Well, when we first drafted James White, he had a LaDainian Tomlinson look to him in practice, in the first couple practices without pads. And when the pads came on, he didn’t run with any power or advance the ball. One thing for running backs, space runs are easy, you’re out there in space, you run. But you got to make yards after contact. That’s the key back. And James wasn’t able to do that early in his career [and] why he was inactive so much.

“And then lately, he’s been more pass receiver than runner and I thought there’s been flashes of times- the Redskin game he made a couple of plays- but there’s been times- the Miami game, the last game of the year, he catches a slant and he doesn’t score on it, but he runs it down to the one yard line, there have been flashes of it. I thought on Sunday against Arizona there was, and I think they’ll need him to do that. They need D.J. Foster, the rookie from Arizona State, to give them some explosive plays, too. He’s a lot like James White- receiver/runner.”

Personally, I think his relative "success" breaking a handful of tackles at the end of the SB had a lot to do with Atlanta being totally gassed. He improved his play considerably compared to last year but I agree that he is somewhat the diametrical opposite of Blount and often gives away the pass as much as Blount the run.

If nothing else, come next year, white will get huge attention every time he is on the field. Could open things up for the other receivers but will especially for any tight end in the deep seam.

If nothing else, come next year, white will get huge attention every time he is on the field. Could open things up for the other receivers but will especially for any tight end in the deep seam.

Don't want to nitpick but I don't see it. White is not a chesspiece that gets special attention like Gronk or Edelman (or maybe Floyd if he stays). There are only so many players you can afford to focus on and White is definitely not one of them. Now, Dion with a full offseason on the field instead on operating tables and training rooms could be a different story.

Wow:

After the combine we may have a Big 3 at TE in the draft

Wow:

After the combine we may have a Big 3 at TE in the draft

Well that would be the funniest draft pick in history.

Seriously, can we just get on to the combine already? 1st round buzz on a Div2 TE? There have been 3 1st round TEs in the last 5 years, and we are going to get 3 in this draft??

He will legit have to run 4.4-4.5 at 6'7 275 with oven mitts for hands for any of this to be reality. He can have every tool, but we are talking a ridiculous jump from his competition to even a power 5 school, let alone the NFL.

And I was an early champion of his! Draft season is in full on squirrelly-mode. I don't want to start loathing prospects because of stupid hype.

Is it just me . or McMillan has Hightower written all over him?

Raekwon McMillan vs Clemson (2016) | Draft Breakdown

Its a great clip to watch. The focus is on McM of course but there are great plays of some other binkies here like Conely, Gallman, Hooker of course, also Leggett shows his blocking skills on McM towards the end..

While Hooker is unrealistic . I wouldn't mind to see McMillan (possibly w #64), Leggett (#96) and Gallman (#103) going for Pats. Add DeM Walker, Basham or Harris with #32 and we can just keep JG.

Actually I wouldn't mind McMillan at #32 (and prefer him to Reddick f.e.) especially if long-term is not made w High.

Its a great clip to watch. The focus is on McM of course but there are great plays of some other binkies here like Conely, Gallman, Hooker of course, also Leggett shows his blocking skills on McM towards the end..

While Hooker is unrealistic . I wouldn't mind to see McMillan (possibly w #64), Leggett (#96) and Gallman (#103) going for Pats. Add DeM Walker, Basham or Harris with #32 and we can just keep JG.

Actually I wouldn't mind McMillan at #32 (and prefer him to Reddick f.e.) especially if long-term is not made w High.
I Love McMillan, 64 is unrealistic though. And honestly beckwith reminds me more of Hightower than McMillan does

If McMillan runs well at the combine and/or pro day, I would not be surprised to see bb pick him at #32.

If he runs 4.9 plus, then he will be available at #64.

Billy Brown of Div II Shepherd is a name I've heard about a couple of times today. He's a 6-5, 250lb WR projected to play TE in the NFL. He's reportedly a 4.5/4.6 guy.

Tape is decent although he looks to be quite the project if he does get turned into a TE. As a 6/7 round guy though?

I Love McMillan, 64 is unrealistic though. And honestly beckwith reminds me more of Hightower than McMillan does

I really don't understand the Beckwith hype or High comparisons. Of course I can see athletic talent but little of football talent unfortunately. The two full games on Draft Breakdown show he has great speed, also lateral, to make occasional great plays but thats about all. On the other hand he gets easily overpowered, can't shed blocks, is hesitant, shows poor instincts and above all misses so many clear tackles.

Kendell Beckwith vs Wisconsin (2016) | Draft Breakdown

Id be happy to hear how that can translate in a good NFL LB.

...While Hooker is unrealistic, I wouldn't mind to see McMillan (possibly w #64), Leggett (#96) and Gallman (#103) going for Pats. Add DeM Walker, Basham or Harris with #32 and we can just keep JG.

McMillan at 32? I don't see it. I really don't see DeMarcus Walker or Tarell Basham at 32 either. Charlie Harris maybe…what I do see unfortunately is Bill taking Ryan Anderson at 32 if Hightower leaves.

I really don't understand the Beckwith hype or High comparisons. Of course I can see athletic talent but little of football talent unfortunately. The two full games on Draft Breakdown show he has great speed, also lateral, to make occasional great plays but thats about all. On the other hand he gets easily overpowered, can't shed blocks, is hesitant, shows poor instincts and above all misses so many clear tackles.

Kendell Beckwith vs Wisconsin (2016) | Draft Breakdown

Id be happy to hear how that can translate in a good NFL LB.

I dont agree with the bolded part. Thats why I think he can be good

McMillan at 32? I don't see it. I really don't see DeMarcus Walker or Tarell Basham at 32 either. Charlie Harris maybe…what I do see unfortunately is Bill taking Ryan Anderson at 32 if Hightower leaves.

Just curious why you don't like Anderson at 32. While not my first choice, he has a ton of the skills we look for in a LB. Very similar player to Ninkovich or Hightower.

I want more explosive athleticism out of my 1st-round pick (even the last one of the 1st round) if he isn't an OLman or DT (or QB).
I would be OK with Anderson…at 64…if Hightower leaves...

Last edited:

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back