PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2017 Draft Prospect Thread

Today I stumbled across Dallas Lloyd.

Versatile SS/LB hybrid from Stanford (6’2, 213, 4.6) who had a great Sun Bowl but is not invited to combine. Former QB.
__

From Ryan Wooden'a AII 22 mock:

Pick No. 242: Dallas Lloyd (S, Stanford)
There will always be a place for a smart (Stanford-educated, David Shaw-coached) kid who can potentially play at multiple levels of the defense (like Harvey-Clemons, he could drop down to linebacker) and is a valuable special teams contributor on Bill Belichick’s roster.

From Cody Williams' Dallas mock:

Dallas Lloyd out of Stanford might be a steal in the seventh round, but will at least be a serviceable backup. Lloyd shined in the Sun Bowl for the Cardinal as he came up with a monstrous pick-six that really changed the game while he was also able to make plays in the passing game and coming up against the run.

Lloyd isn’t the greatest athlete in the world and his coverage abilities are far from being elite. However, he’s a sure tackler in the open field and has a nose for the ball whenever it’s thrown in his direction. Again, there is limited upside when it comes to a player like Lloyd, but he has shown enough for teams to believe that he can have a role at least on special teams and potentially in spot work in the secondary.

___

here a nice interview with him:
NFL Draft Q&A: Stanford safety Dallas Lloyd

He's a bad fumbler though. I fumble every 70 touches or so. By comparison, McCaffrey is about 1 every 240 touches.

Ouch. I'll watch McCaffrey next. Cook came off to me as a speed demon with questionable vision and a mess in pass pro. Foreman was dissappointing. Where was the moving the chains/trucking ability...

Manx what's your take on Fournette? I know you've listed your highest upside prospects as Garrett, Hooker, Lattimore, Adams, Thomas, and Njoku. Do you see him as the next great RB worth taking at potentially pick 12 or no?

He might have the best size/speed/acceleration combo at the position this century. Can't really get a feel for his vision/elusiveness because those traits are so good. He's also best in I-formation so he'd be better suited in a power run scheme like the Pats. Still unsure of him.

I almost wasn't going to bother looking at the top RBs but there was a time when BB invested heavily in the run game. He traded for/paid Dillon & drafted Maroney 21st overall. Wouldn't put it past him with Brady looking to sign longterm at age 40.

Ouch. I'll watch McCaffrey next. Cook came off to me as a speed demon with questionable vision and a mess in pass pro. Foreman was dissappointing. Where was the moving the chains/trucking ability...

Manx what's your take on Fournette? I know you've listed your highest upside prospects as Garrett, Hooker, Lattimore, Adams, Thomas, and Njoku. Do you see him as the next great RB worth taking at potentially pick 12 or no?

He might have the best size/speed/acceleration combo at the position this century. Can't really get a feel for his vision/elusiveness because those traits are so good. He's also best in I-formation so he'd be better suited in a power run scheme like the Pats. Still unsure of him.

I almost wasn't going to bother looking at the top RBs but there was a time when BB invested heavily in the run game. He traded for/paid Dillon & drafted Maroney 21st overall. Wouldn't put it past him with Brady looking to sign longterm at age 40.

I haven't studied him too hard because I just don't see BB going there. I like what I have seen, but he'll need a good OL. Personally I preferred Todd Gurley coming out. I don't see enough explosion or elusiveness like you. But stick him behind Dallas' line and he'd be a beast.

I haven't studied him too hard because I just don't see BB going there. I like what I have seen, but he'll need a good OL. Personally I preferred Todd Gurley coming out. I don't see enough explosion or elusiveness like you. But stick him behind Dallas' line and he'd be a beast.
Manx your thought on McCaffrey? I know that you posted last year about him. I am hyper excited about him. Actually if i think him in our offense,damn. But on the other hand, the last White run in SB...

Manx your thought on McCaffrey? I know that you posted last year about him. I am hyper excited about him. Actually if i think him in our offense,damn. But on the other hand, the last White run in SB...

In terms of whether we'd draft him, that's a tough one because of White and Lewis although both are free agents at the end of this year as things as stand. But as a prospect, I love him. Doesn't fumble, runs excellent routes (could arguably be an Amendola replacement), very patient runner, has amazing balance and is an outstanding returner. Aside from the fact that he's 195-200lb, I struggle to find anything wrong with him. He's a swiss army knife that BB/McDaniels would love to have. Trouble is, so are White and Lewis.

Elflein is a Swiss Army knife......would love to see what Scar can do with him.....can fill 3 spots on OL...

I really like him as well. Instant upgrade over mason as a pass protector, but not nearly the mobile mauler mason is.

At center, he is an instant upgrade over Andrews as far as run blocking and pass protection, but not nearly as good at protection and line calls.

Plus we already have karras as the backup.

As far as o line goes, I think bb takes a tackle.

I agree...I think he needs, at a minimum, a replacement for Vollmer.....

No idea if mentioned already, but Kareem Hunt (RB, Toledo) is someone I like a lot.

He looked great at the Senior Bowl and perhaps the best quality about him (and one Belichick will love) is that he only had 1 fumble (not lost) in 830 career touches in college. 4 seasons.

I'm hoping he's still available in the 3rd or 4th.

Samaje Perine (RB) is interesting as well.

Also, I haven't seen much of Leonard Fournette until now. Wow, the guy is a beast.

He seems like a sure thing at RB and would undoubtedly help extend Brady's career.

Unfortunately the odds of the Pats drafting him at #12 (if they even get that pick from Cleveland) aren't too high.

For some reason, I have a strong feeling that Aaron Jones (RB) and Hayden Plinke (TE), both of UTEP, are potential Patriots. I base this on nothing but the same feeling I had with Dan Klecko.

In terms of whether we'd draft him, that's a tough one because of White and Lewis although both are free agents at the end of this year as things as stand. But as a prospect, I love him. Doesn't fumble, runs excellent routes (could arguably be an Amendola replacement), very patient runner, has amazing balance and is an outstanding returner. Aside from the fact that he's 195-200lb, I struggle to find anything wrong with him. He's a swiss army knife that BB/McDaniels would love to have. Trouble is, so are White and Lewis.
This MCcaffrey dude is sick. What if Dion never goes back to 2015 play? Can we keep this year 3 RBs White, Lewis Mccafrey and no Bolden? One of those 3 should be replacement for Bolden on STs.

Also, I haven't seen much of Leonard Fournette until now. Wow, the guy is a beast.

He seems like a sure thing at RB and would undoubtedly help extend Brady's career.

Unfortunately the odds of the Pats drafting him at #12 (if they even get that pick from Cleveland) aren't too high.

Fournette was even more impressive last year. This year he was largely hampered by an injury (ankle, I think). The one thing that gives me pause is that he struggled mightily against Alabama two years in a row. They have the most NFL-style defense in college football, and they just stayed true to gap assignments and forced him outside continually. He had little room to run, and put up something like 30 yards each time. I worry that without build up speed, he struggles to create. Now, in the open field he's absolutely monstrous.

If he went to Dallas, he might break every rush record in existence (barring injury). Here, however, I'm not sure he would have the same running lanes, and I don't know that he would be as useful in our schemes as someone like Hunt, whom you mentioned earlier. Sign me up for Hunt, McGuire, or Hill in the mid-late rounds.

I'll put money on McCaffrey and cook having better careers than fournette

As things stand now #32 might not even be enough for him.
If Pats stay with current top picks (no trades in or out) and McCaffrey falls to #32 and Pats pick him . it becomes very difficult to draft very good ED/DL and squeeze in some other possible needs like LB, TE, S, possibly OT..

Let's not forget that Pats kept DJ Foster on the 53 all year and barely used him . which might mean they have something similar on board already.

I can only confirm what reamer mentioned: watching him on tape of full games against top D's is quite a different experience then highlights.

Don't get me wrong, Id love to have him here, just not at #32 with current picks.

There's little doubt where he'd like to go though..

Last edited:
I can't see BB picking a RB in the first round........he seems to find value in later rounds....DB,DL,LB,OL,TE will be his first 5 picks IMHO......not in any particular order...

I've mentioned Holsey before, but I just came across this highlight video and figured I'd share. Strong 2nd rounder as far as I'm concerned, and could make a push for a 1st round grade from me if he tests well, but CBS doesn't even have him in the top 300. Crazy. I know he has some injury concerns, but he seems to have overcome them and has played very well this year. Most sites don't have him in their 7 round mock drafts, or even on their big boards. I've watched a number of his games, and I feel strongly that he'll be a good player (not a star, but a solid starter). I'd take him from the 3rd onward, and earlier if his stock rises.

346 Joshua Holsey CB 40 Auburn rSr 5-11 195 7-FA

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes