PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

10 Patriots who might not be around for the 2021 season

I like curran but this yr he has been all about advocating for brady in every article instead of being balanced. It has become quite irritating.
It was like that when Bledsoe was traded. He was the source for a few writers and they were anti-Brady for the longest time because of it.

First, let's stop with all the 'Edelman to another team' talk.
I wouldn't be surprised to see BB keep him for leadership purposes. And don't forget earlier this season he was on fire. But he shall not pass!

I actually hope most of the opt-outs don't come back. I'm not sure HT will be mobile after a year on the shelf, but he'd be the only one I'd like to see - and move to full time DE. Because our young guys are starting to show. T. Hall specifically, with Uche & Jennings could become a good LB core with Wino & Bentley filling roles.
  • The FA's we need to keep are Andrews, Jackson and the 4 B's - Butler, Burkhead, Byrd, Bryant.
  • While I like Guy and Thuney - they're going to cost too much. I'd like to see Onwenu go back to Guard and lock that position down. Cowart and Butler are starting to establish, and with a legit NT type, could hold it down.
  • Rex had his best season with us, and the major risk is - he's always hurt. But, still better than White this year.
  • Byrd has shown he fits in this offense. Sadly, Cam couldn't throw past 10 yards so we never got to use him.
  • Bryant flashed some value, and with Gilmore and JMac presumed gone, he could compete for time (with another #2 CB in FA or Draft)

Remember when Curran speculated that Brady might miss the 2009 season because of a setback or infection in his ACL recovery? When it was announced Brady would be fine and ready for camp, someone from here emailed Curran about it and Curran replied back with just "FU."
So you are saying Curran throws a lot of ish at the wall and waits to see what sticks?

I suppose thats better than the "completely make siht up to stir the pot" espn does...

What this defense needs is enforcers tough guys who like to hit and have a mean steak.
This is what I wanted to see out of Dugger to justify him getting picked in the 2nd round. He needs to be more of a pest in the running/passing game over the middle. He hasn't had one tackle that stands out that he can lay the lumber as advertised coming out of the draft. In fact, he hasn't had one play that "wow's" you.

Terez Hall can hit, but that's it as he's terrible in space.

JC Jackson has got torched by a few WRS but can make plays on the ball I’m torn on both his salary and trade value.
Yeah he's not ready to take on the big boys yet, buts he's a very solid #2.

And I am telling you that Braxton Berrios is not a free agent next year so it doesn't matter. What you are doing is using 20/20 hindsight to find a guy who outperformed Harry this past year for less money. Then when you find an example (and I am sure there are others), you talk about how "easy" it would be to replace Harry.

Now tell me who is going to be a free agent this coming offseason that would improve on the position in 2021 for less money. That part is not quite so easy.
You answered your own question for 2020 since Berrios was already on the NE roster. The Pats found him in the 6th round. Gee, where are they going to find another Berrios?

Somehow you believe its going to take a great deal of effort to replace Harry so lets keep him because he is inexpensive.

Im here to tell you that there's plenty of other options out there at WR.

Curran says it’s Gilmore, Hightower, Cannon, Hoyer, Guy, McDaniels(!), Thuney, Cam, Burkhead, Harry

For McDaniels only if a coaching opportunity comes along IMO. not sure if it will
The team is crap even with half the players on the OP list playing well this year.
Remove them and the roster gets that much worse.
This rebuild will take years

Yeah I thought that Higgins would've made a nice little signing this offseason...Would've beat the bejeezus out of the Hastings/Ross/Zuber/etc crap-fest we had in TC...In fact I would Never have drafted Mal Mitchell in 2016 while Higgins was still available...and he wasn't selected until near the end of the 5th round!

The team is crap even with half the players on the OP list playing well this year.
Remove them and the roster gets that much worse.
This rebuild will take years
Get a real NFL QB and a real NFL passing game and that will go a long way toward improvement.

Last edited:
Just curious when opt out players may make public if they are returning/retiring. Also, I think free agency starts in March so we should have an idea then who may stay or be released ?

You answered your own question for 2020 since Berrios was already on the NE roster. The Pats found him in the 6th round. Gee, where are they going to find another Berrios?

Somehow you believe its going to take a great deal of effort to replace Harry so lets keep him because he is inexpensive.

We need three WR's to add to Meyer and Gunner.

Edelman & Jason McCourty - agreed; Hightower & Devin McCourty - not yet...Those two are/were still playing at a starter on a Contender level, and while their cap hits are high we have Nobody in the building to replace them...

I agree they still have something in the tank. I just see them the way the Celtics used to look at Isaiah Thomas. It was like.......yes, we like love what you are doing now but despite how much heart, effort, and skill you demonstrate, we know that you are NOT part of the rebuilding plan. Our goal is start getting younger now and have the youth play through some growing pains.

Of course that's just my opinion and I certainly don't claim to be an expert.

I think we resign 5 guys:

folk
Bethel
Andrews
Guy
Ferentz

everybody else rolls out out town, but 4 comp picks come back,

thuney - 3rd
Butler - 4th
White - 6th
Wise -7th

everybody else rolls out out town, but 4 comp picks come back,

thuney - 3rd
Butler - 4th
White - 6th
Wise -7th
not if the pats want to sign anybode from FA for more than vet minimum, if they can't sign thuney they better try to tag and trade him for a 3rd or 4th instead of losing him for nothing, because the pats will for sure aquire players in that range from FA which will offset thuneys departure

Hopefully, a mod will see fit to sticky this thread so that we don't have to keep searching for it if it goes off the top page and that the 2020/2021 thread will be locked.

NOTE: I will update the thread with any special roster rules (Opt Outs , IR Change) the league chooses to implement. Something tells me that the league may permanently change the IR rules.

NOTE: OTC has not updated their page with the Patriots Futures Signings as of the morning of 1/6.

Tracking the 2021/2022 Patriots Roster Moves:

OFFENSE: (28)
QB: (2)

Jarrett Stidham -
Jake Dolegala - Futures deal 1/4 -

RB/FB: (5/0)
Sony Michel - RB
Brandon Bolden - RB
Damien Harris - RB
Dan Vitale - FB/TE -
JJ Taylor - RB -

WR (8/)
Julian Edelman - WR -
Gunner Olszweski - WR -
Jakobi Meyers - WR -
N'Keal Harry - WR -
Isaiah Zuber - WR- Futures Deal 1/4
Marqise Lee - WR -
Kristian Wilkerson - WR - Future Deal 1/4
Devin Smith - WR - Future Deal 1/4

TE: (4/)
Ryan Izzo - TE
Matt LaCosse - TE -
Devin Asiasi - TE -
Dalton Keene - TE -

OL: (9/)
Marcus Cannon - OT -
Shaq Mason - OG -
Korey Cunningham - OT
Isaiah Wynn- OT -
Yodny Cajuste - OT -
Najee Toran -OG -
Michael Onwenu - G -
Justin Herron - G -
Ross Reynolds - OG - Futures Deal 1/4

DEFENSE: (22)

DL/DT/NT: (5/)

Byron Cowart - DT -
Beau Allen - NT -
Bill Murray - DT - Futures Deal 1/4
Michael Barnett - DL -
Akeem Spence - DL -

DE: (2/)
Tasshon Bower
Nick Thurman - Futures Deal 1/4

EDGE: (1)
Chase Winovich - DE -

LB: (5/0)
Dont'a Hightower - LB -
Ja'Whaun Bentley -LB -
Terez Hall -
Josh Uche - LB -
Anfernee Jennings - LB -

CB: (3/)
Stephon Gilmore -
Jonathan Jones -
D'Angelo Ross - Future Deal 1/4

S: (6/0)
Devin McCourty - S -
Patrick Chung - S -
Adrian Phillips - S-
Kyle Dugger - S -
JoeJuan Williams - S -
Myles Bryant -

SPECIAL TEAMS: (6/)
Joe Cardona - LS
Jacob Bailey - P -
Brandon King - LB -
Matt Slater - Re-signed 3/13
Justin Rohrwasser - K - Future Deal 1/4
Roberto Aguayo - K - Future Deal 1/4

Free Agents (Possibly eligible for Comp Picks):
Cam Newton
Brian Hoyer
Rex Burkhead
James White
Damiere Byrd
Dontae Moncrief
Joe Thuney
David Andrews
Jermaine Eleumenor
James Ferentz
Marcus Martin
Lawrence Guy
Adam Butler
Carl Davis
John Simon
Shilique Calhoun
Dietrich Wise
Brandon Copeland
Jason McCourtey
Nick Folk
Justin Bethel
Cody Davis
Terrence Brooks

RFA:
Dee Virgin
JC Jackson

ERFA:
Michael Jackson
Cassh Maluia
Rashod Berry
Jakob Johnson
Quincy Adeboyejo

SFA: (Patriots declined tender)
Caleb Benonoch
Isaiah Mack
Jake Burt
Michael Pickney

2022 Draft Picks:
Brutal looking at our FA’s list. We really don’t have THAT much money.

It looks brutal at first glance, but it really isn't. Every team every year enters free agency with about twenty free agents.

In terms of money, it's all relative. The Patriots actually have one of the largest amounts of cap space.

Check out this list from the link below in terms of amount of available cap space, as well as number of players under contract for all 32 teams. Even when adjusting for players signed to futures contracts (playoff teams can't do that until their season is over), compared to most of the other clubs the Patriots are actually in good shape.

Worst 2021 Cap Position
  1. Saints - (-$99 million)
  2. Eagles - (-$74 million)
  3. Falcons (-$32 million)
  4. Packers (-$24 million)
  5. Steelers ($22 million)
  6. Rams (-$21 million)
  7. Texans (-$20 million)
  8. Raiders (-$17 million)
  9. Chiefs (-$16 million)
  10. Vikings (-$14 million)
Best 2021 Cap Position
  1. Jaguars +$77 million
  2. Jete +$63 million
  3. Colts +61 million
  4. Patriots +$59 million
  5. Washington +$41 million

(For the numbers below I removed ten from each of the non-playoff teams, to account for players that they have just signed to futures contracts.)

Number of Players Under Contract
  • 52 - Giants, Cowboys, Eagles
  • 49 - Washington, Broncos
  • 47 - Jaguars, Patriots
  • 46 - Vikings, Saints
  • 45 - Chargers, Rams
  • 44 - Colts, Dolphins, Packers
  • 43 - Panthers, Cardinals
  • 42 - Bills, Texans, Falcons
  • 41 - Raiders, Ravens
  • 39 - 49ers
  • 38 - Bengals
  • 36 - Lions, Chiefs
  • 35 - Browns, Seahawks, Bears, Steelers
  • 33 - Titans
  • 31 - Ravens
  • 30 - Buccaneers

200.gif

Got a lot of work to do. Let’s get to it

Hardly brutal. Who are the absolute must keep people here? The only top-end FA is Thuney. Guy, Butler, White, Andrews, Bethel and some others are all good players, but the only bank-breaker is Thuney. I don't want to use the term JAG because it's insuting and anyone on that list is a thousand times better than I could ever be, but are there really a bunch of players on this list that couldn't be replaced with younger and cheaper talent?

Cam Newton - gone
Brian Hoyer - gone
Rex Burkhead - gone unless he takes an incentive-laden deal...and if he's even ready to play before the season starts (shadow roster?)
James White - gone if someone pays him. Michel and Taylor need to slip into this role.
Damiere Byrd - meh
Dontae Moncrief - Special teamer, so if cheap, maybe
Joe Thuney - Interesting...you want to keep him but at what price?
David Andrews - Cheaper than Thuney, but same problem.
Jermaine Eleumenor - Won't be expensive if they want to keep him.
James Ferentz - Cheap if there's room for him
Marcus Martin - same as above...really liked this pick-up, though. He was once highly rated.
Lawrence Guy - Keep him or Butler or both if at all possible.
Adam Butler - see above
Carl Davis - cheap if you want him
John Simon - probably gone. Looked toasted this year.
Shilique Calhoun - same as above
Dietrich Wise - hard to find a spot for him, I fear
Brandon Copeland - gone
Jason McCourtey - probably retiring.
Nick Folk - shrug
Justin Bethel - like to keep him around, but he won't be that expensive
Cody Davis - no idea
Terrence Brooks - gone unless cheap. Adrian Phillips and Kyle Dugger are ready to rumble.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back