PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI.com: The Return of Patrick Pass, four cut: K. Smith, McClinton, Craig, Cuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
By now he has perfected the Romanian Dead lift.

What an amusing thread.

Belichick signs an ex-player to the 92 man squad and people go ballistic.

For the record, I don't think that Pass is making this team. Also, I would prefer Pass to Green-Ellis.

Well, I still want to see what he has left in the tank... but if he's healthy and his skills haven't eroded, his versatility certainly makes him that much more valuable than Green-Ellis - who I still think is a decent backup.

I'd say that anyone who isn't local and hasn't had a chance to hear the WEEI interviews with Belichick over the years doesn't fully appreciate all the kind words that Belichick has used towards Pass.

He really seems to love singling out the guys who most fans never see do the hard work that helps make plays develop (in fairness to the fans, it's pretty darn tough to see that on TV or even live) but get no recognition for it. The fact that he's a 7th round draft pick is just the icing on the cake for Belichick as well. He loves those "success" stories and likes to remind all UFAs and late round picks of the opportunity they have.

In the end, if Pass takes the utility man roster spot and beats out the likes of Green-Ellis and Edleman, why should we be shocked.

Is bringing back to compete for a special team spot really that different from bring back Banta-Cain?

Well, I still want to see what he has left in the tank... but if he's healthy and his skills haven't eroded, his versatility certainly makes him that much more valuable than Green-Ellis - who I still think is a decent backup.

I'd say that anyone who isn't local and hasn't had a chance to hear the WEEI interviews with Belichick over the years doesn't fully appreciate all the kind words that Belichick has used towards Pass.

He really seems to love singling out the guys who most fans never see do the hard work that helps make plays develop (in fairness to the fans, it's pretty darn tough to see that on TV or even live) but get no recognition for it. The fact that he's a 7th round draft pick is just the icing on the cake for Belichick as well. He loves those "success" stories and likes to remind all UFAs and late round picks of the opportunity they have.

Re: WEEI.com: The Return of Patrick Pass

Really? Sapp, Pinnock nd Southerland have all had better careers than Pass? Care to PROVE it? Because I'd bet they haven't. In fact, none of them have a SB ring. Pass has 3. And he was an integral part of those 3 teams.

Cecil Sapp hasn't done anything in his career. Neither has Pinnock. Southerland? You'r pulling names out of your arse there.

Southerland was just cut yesterday by the Jets. A rookie, undrafted fullback who has never played a game in the NFL who the Jets look at for a month and cut in June. Yet he is better than a 3-time Super Bowl winning fullback who was drafted 10 years ago and is still under an NFL contract and has played in 75 career NFL games and started 11 and 10 additional playoff games, starting 1? A guy who has over 1,000 yards from scrimmage in the NFL and was widely regarded as an excellent special teams player?

Yeah right. The guy is smoking something.

J D SAl

Add : BB was tripping over himself in praising Lynch last year, but didn't even chose him for the 53-man roster. Respect is great, but BB always makes decisions on logic.

Having said that - I agree with an earlier poster : 2005 Pass IS better than Green-Ellis... but what does 2009 Pass add ?

That's already been discussed:

He added that the last exhibition game, he and BB spoke prior to the game and both agreed that it wasn’t going to work and Lynch informed BB that he would retire.

But there is NO question he's an upgrade of Cuff, McClinton, Craig or KSmith and has a better chance at making the team than that quartet.....Nothing at all wrong with what they did...I just find it odd that he was out of football for 2 years (except 1 game) and they have brought him back...

I'm wondering if part of this signing is the modified wedge rule, which would make a player like Pass valuable on ST, if nothing else. It also certainly enhances his versatility quotient that he knows the offense pretty well, and is a decent receiver out of the backfield.

I thought Pass was able to carve out a nice career for himself for a while, and I've got no problem with him coming back and getting a look/see. It's just out of left field, that's all.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I like Pass and am glad he's back.

Why do you like him? Is it because he ran his mouth when Branch left? Or did you like how he used to lay the ball down on the field? He wont make the team I guarantee it.

PFT is reporting we just signed Marion Butts

I thought Pass was able to carve out a nice career for himself for a while, and I've got no problem with him coming back and getting a look/see. It's just out of left field, that's all.

Yeah, it's a backwards pass alright but we'll just have to trust that BB couldn't pass on picking him up given the previous discussed Pass scenarios (FB, ST return work). If anyone can pass along anymore enlightened info on Pass that would be great; we've had enough of the negative posters who always come here to pass Pass gas.

Why do you like him? Is it because he ran his mouth when Branch left? Or did you like how he used to lay the ball down on the field? He wont make the team I guarantee it.

No, those aren't the reasons.

But get drunk one night and take an underaged boy home...."
So, what you're saying is that signing a non-Pats Fans authorized guy to compete for one of the last 6-12 spots on the roster is the equivalent of pedophilia? Interesting perspective.

It seems to me they've just been through OTA and focused at least part of time (according to Reiss and others) working the backs through their role in the passing game. One possibility is that they want to see more competition from that perspective, and another possibility is with Evans having moved on, they want to go into a camp with a guy who has some experience at their position in their offense as well as special teams. At this point we can only guess, but those would be my guesses at this early juncture.

So they reach out to a guy who they know and who they're comfortable with, and Patriots Reign anecdotes aside, someone they have confidence in, and have him compete in July and August at the least. Maybe having him around and running through plays like they did this week will improve the team either directly or indirectly. Either he wins the fifth job by being in good condition physically and mentally, or his experience in the offense - particularly in running pass routes out of the backfield - will help the other backs during camp practices later this summer. Seems to me all teams and coaching staffs do stuff like this all the time.

In an event, we're talking about a marginal move. The :confused: and :mad: reactions we see from people at times like this are so ridiculously over the top it boggles the mind. Clearly, given the timing of the move, they didn't sign him to be a major part of their offense. They signed him to come in - best case scenario - and be part of the competition for the final few spots on their team.

Whether Patrick Pass is a favorite of yours or not (I'm neutral) shouldn't prohibit a reasonably intelligent person from putting these sorts of moves in their proper perspective.

thats because hes like you ,he comes than he goes, than he comes

thats because hes like you ,he comes than he goes, than he comes

If you're trying to bother me you're going to have to do much better than that, girlfirend.

So, what you're saying is that signing a non-Pats Fans authorized guy to compete for one of the last 6-12 spots on the roster is the equivalent of pedophilia? Interesting perspective.

It's just an old joke. Another variation on the punchline is "but you suck one .... and you're forever known as a ....sucker'"

Was that Brad Seely in Patriot Reign?

The expletives regarding Patrick Pass were from Charlie Weis in Patriot Reign.

Speaking of Charlie, way back in the Smithfield summer camp days when you could stand right on the sidelines as they practised, it was always hilarious to listen to Weis totally rag on the RBs as he put them thru drills. Funny, sarcastic and profane. I miss those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3