PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Stock up and stock down

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
If it was possible for Patricia to look more idiotic it was Bourne’s great game. They buried our best receiver on the depth chart last season.

I know Belichick doesn’t like to undercut his coaches, but allowing Patricia to blackball Bourne was criminal. It was obvious he was their best receiver and he had to watch the season from the sidelines because Patricia, Judge, or both had hairs across their asses.

Aaron Rogers and Jordan Love were both 1st rounders and sat multiple years.

Mahomes sat his rookie season. So did Bailey Zappe, and they are completely analogous.

Mac is playing much better. Look at the game last night in Philly, our defense is really improved. Keion White, LT junior in my opinion. A total game wrecker...

Totally agree with the first point. When Mac had two dynamic receivers in college, he was absolutely awesome.

Your second point is interesting and insightful, well put. BB is the greatest NFL coach of all time IMHO, and he is still among the best. One of his strengths has always been his adaptability, he adapts the game plan to the personnel instead of vice versa. However, as is typical for someone in his seventies who has enjoyed amazing success following a particular plan, I think he has become a little more set in his ways. As you correctly point out, with the transcendence of Brady at QB, BB as GM could mostly focus on the defense and assume the offense would still be a strength even with little draft capital devoted to the OL and WR. It worked for 6 Super Bowl rings.

...But now the Patriots have a young QB who surprise, surprise, is no Tom Brady. Other teams with a recent new first round QB in most cases immediately spend very high draft capital on WR and/or OL. As examples, Joe Burrow got Chase, Tua got Hill and Waddle, Lawrence got his buddy Etenne who has receiving skills, Zach Wilson got Garrett Wilson, etc., etc. With the exception of a bottom of the first round guard, Mac hasn't really had that same type of offensive draft help.

It will be interesting to see if BB adapts and if more attention is paid to the offense in next year's draft, with more attention paid to WR in particular. On the bright side, maybe Douglas and Boutte become so awesome a new WR isn't needed. ;)
To summarize:
Chase - Top 10 pick
Waddle - Top 10 pick
Wilson - Top 10 pick
Hill - Traded for a boatload of picks.
Jefferson - Went one pick before NE (Philly thought Reagor was the better choice)

When was the last time the Pats had a top 10 pick? And this board would go nuts if the Pats ever earned one. Just my opinion.

To summarize:
Chase - Top 10 pick
Waddle - Top 10 pick
Wilson - Top 10 pick
Hill - Traded for a boatload of picks.
Jefferson - Went one pick before NE (Philly thought Reagor was the better choice)

When was the last time the Pats had a top 10 pick? And this board would go nuts if the Pats ever earned one. Just my opinion.
I couldn’t agree more, the Pats simply haven’t had those type of top picks. I was only pointing out that Mac simply hasn’t had the type draft capital put into wide receivers that other top QB picks have.

And regarding the Hill trade by the Fins, between the boatload of picks and the sky high contract, plus his speed based game that may not age well, I thought the Fins trade for him was the type of mortgage-the-future trade that would bite them in the butt in the future. However, in retrospect I think I was wrong, not only has it galvanized their offense, Tua looks like a transformed QB, his confidence is sky high.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back