PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bourne is WR1

jdlboot14

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
It's time to just throw caution to the wind, and birth the hottest of takes on the public dais.

Why not Bourne as our WR1?
While Parker & JuJu come with the higher price tag, and the more established history of production, that means nothing in the "what are you now" NFL.
As all Patriot fans know, the "nobodies" or "underdogs" are the guys that become the heartbeat of THIS team.
Now, the facts - Bourne is faster and quicker than Parker & JuJu. Bourne has a cleaner injury history than both of those guys.
Bourne has shown more fight and passion in the preseason, while Parker & JuJu have been nearly invisible.
Parker can muscle over contested catches, and sideline comebacks, but is that a given? Is that an every game, every down, reliance?
JuJu has YAC ability, but that requires a burst to create space that we haven't seen yet. Certainly not on Saturday night.
Parker and JuJu are bigger guys that are prototypical possession (#2) receivers.
With Meyers gone, who else will be Mac's go-to WR? The answer was revealed in Green Bay - it's Bourne.
Time to just embrace it. He's earned the shot.

Tbh I am kind of on-board with you here. Juju will mostly be the slot/YAC guy (and probably Douglas a bit behind him too), and Parker going for contested catches, but Bourne is flexible and athletic enough to really do anything and he's very dynamic. I could definitely see him flourishing this year, especially if teams are focusing elsewhere. I don't know if he is "WR1" but he could be "1A" and ultimately the guy who has the most production. Plus it's obvious he has the most chemistry by far with Mac.

I’ve been saying that all year. So no argument here.

Bourne is more versatile than Parker, perhaps than Juju. Juju might be his competition at the moment. We’ll see how things shake out once the games start counting.

Long term I think the WR1 for the next several years will be Boutte, but he needs experience to polish his skills and build a body of work.

add Pop Douglas into the mix and by the end of the year I think the Patriots receivers will prove to have been greatly underestimated.

He's underrated. Hopefully whatever landed him in the dog house last year has been adjudicated (with Matt's departure).

He's underrated. Hopefully whatever landed him in the dog house last year has been adjudicated (with Matt's departure).

What landed Bourne in the dog house last year is currently running a tab at a Waffle House in Philthydelphia.

Bourne is good to go.

Bourne was tasked with getting Matt his food from the buffet and got him dry instead of wet. It was a problem.

What landed Bourne in the dog house last year is currently running a tab at a Waffle House in Philthydelphia.

Bourne is good to go.

On second thought, NO ONE should be in the dog house! That's a scary place!

Bourne has been the Patriots best WR for the last two years. It was criminal that Matt Patricia didn't see it that way and put him in the dog house. I also felt McDaniels under used him a lot and in many games didn't have Jones target him until the second half. I don't get the adversity to using him.

Fretting about the moniker "WR1" seems a colossal misuse of time given the QB's "checkdown" instincts and coach's conservative nature with Mac under center.
Personally, I'm betting on Pop Douglas to become the team's most important WR in the next couple years and Mac's ideal safety valve, one who hopefully excels in YAC.

According to Phil Perry, part of the reason for Bourne's being in the "doghouse" was initially he was pissed the Pats drafted Tyquan Thornton and traded for DeVante Parker. Then the training camp incident followed where he was telling reporters the "greatest" coach and the man "responsible for the Pats Super Bowl win in 2014" didn't know what he was doing on offense.

You can't disrespect greatness like that. Enter the doghouse young man.

Fretting about the moniker "WR1" seems a colossal misuse of time given the QB's "checkdown" instincts and coach's conservative nature with Mac under center.
Personally, I'm betting on Pop Douglas to become the team's most important WR in the next couple years and Mac's ideal safety valve, one who hopefully excels in YAC.
Totally agree. I'm not worried about having a convetional "number 1", and I'm not saying Bourne is on par with Adams, Jefferson, Chase, etc... But, on our team, the guy who deserves the targets and is most diverse and can create for himself is Bourne. I do agree about Pop - I've been banging the drum for a true slot since Edelman's knees fell off in 2020. Pop could become a huge part of this pass offense. But, not ready to declare him a #1.

It's time to just throw caution to the wind, and birth the hottest of takes on the public dais.

Why not Bourne as our WR1?
While Parker & JuJu come with the higher price tag, and the more established history of production, that means nothing in the "what are you now" NFL.
As all Patriot fans know, the "nobodies" or "underdogs" are the guys that become the heartbeat of THIS team.
Now, the facts - Bourne is faster and quicker than Parker & JuJu. Bourne has a cleaner injury history than both of those guys.
Bourne has shown more fight and passion in the preseason, while Parker & JuJu have been nearly invisible.
Parker can muscle over contested catches, and sideline comebacks, but is that a given? Is that an every game, every down, reliance?
JuJu has YAC ability, but that requires a burst to create space that we haven't seen yet. Certainly not on Saturday night.
Parker and JuJu are bigger guys that are prototypical possession (#2) receivers.
With Meyers gone, who else will be Mac's go-to WR? The answer was revealed in Green Bay - it's Bourne.
Time to just embrace it. He's earned the shot.
Bourne is the new Meyers.

He will be seeing a lot of targets.

That block Bourne made on the Stephenson run the other night definitely gave Belichick a chubby.

Bourne camp in 2024 is miles ahead of his doghouse of 2023.

Bourne has been our most talented receiver since he got here but between the Matty P pissing contest and some mental mistakes on the field he seemed to fall out of favor last year so it is good so see some positive buzz around him.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back