PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why has Bill the GM been so poor the past decade?

I wonder how much of the problem is the front office brain drain reaching a tipping point.

Tom Dimitroff​
Scott Pioli​
Nick Caserio​
Ernie Adams​
Monti Ossenfort​
Dave Zeigler​

Perhaps after those deaprtures the replacements were of lower quality in terms of their competence, leading to BB not trusting their opinions as much as those predecessors. That is never a good thing, because the final decision is then being made based on less information and only one viewpoint.
If Bill stays, I predict Dimetroff, Robinson or Pioli return. Both Dimetroff and Robinson picked some very good players with the Falcons and Titans.

You cannot put what happened under Patricia in its own separate incident. Time is not broken up into distinct moments. It is a continuous flow. Mac went into last season still with McDaniels coaching fresh in his mind. Then he gets to 2022 with Patricia and O'Brien and it all starts to fall apart. Go back to last year and every analyst that looked at Patricia's schemes called them trash, simplistic, and incompetent.

That call Mac made to his college coaches was pure desperation. What Belichick did in hiring Patricia and O'Brien was UNPRECEDENTED. Coaches have trained on both sides of the ball, sure. But NEVER straight up as the highest position. Typically they would START as an assistant position coach, not the coordinator level.

Then there was this year which saw even more weapons, more blockers leave, along with the only receiver Mac could consistently trust. Right now, we have to move on from Mac because he's broken. But the guy responsible for breaking him is still in the building.

Nope according to the Bill crowd he can do no wrong. Those who analyze all 22 for a living are all wrong and spitting hot takes!

Patricia was so good as an OC he retired on a high note. Eagles making him a DC instead.

Maybe we can hire McDaniels to run the defense next year.

You make perfect sense. I'm 100%I'm agreeing. I'm always going to appreciate Bill and everything he's meant to this organization. However we cannot ignore where the team has gone the last 4 seasons. We were able for 19 seasons witness greatness at the QB position. There we big misses along the way as well as big hits in drafting too. However in this case ...the equalizer in Boston wasn't denzel.. it was the GOAT. With that guy Bill was able to experiment with the roster and it didn't matter becuase we were still able to go routinely 12-4 with the GOAT.

I can't ignore the statement of him saying he wants to only coach guys he likes, and wants to be around. Look at this roster. It's not even NFL caliber. Teams have better practice squads than we have a starting offense. But know this... this is what it took for total organizational change, it had to go down like this In order for Kraft to to so... ok.. I've seen enough.
Yeah, the I only want to coach guys I like mantra is an astounding attitude. Especially when he comes across as a man who doesn't like many people.

Brady added so much more to this team than any other QB. Unfortunately Bill and Bob didn't appreciate that even though he was right under their noses.

You cannot put what happened under Patricia in its own separate incident. Time is not broken up into distinct moments. It is a continuous flow. Mac went into last season still with McDaniels coaching fresh in his mind. Then he gets to 2022 with Patricia and O'Brien and it all starts to fall apart. Go back to last year and every analyst that looked at Patricia's schemes called them trash, simplistic, and incompetent.

That call Mac made to his college coaches was pure desperation. What Belichick did in hiring Patricia and O'Brien was UNPRECEDENTED. Coaches have trained on both sides of the ball, sure. But NEVER straight up as the highest position. Typically they would START as an assistant position coach, not the coordinator level.

Then there was this year which saw even more weapons, more blockers leave, along with the only receiver Mac could consistently trust. Right now, we have to move on from Mac because he's broken. But the guy responsible for breaking him is still in the building.
Patricia's schemes are working wonders for Philly since he took over. They went from 1st to 9th in the rankings in what seemed like overnight.

Most fans eyes have been opened up to the fact that Bill's "it's a player's game" quote was just hot air. His recent moves have shown him to actually think the opposite. Patricia and Judge are Exhibit's A and B and only wanting players he likes to coach is Exhibit C. He actually thought it was his coaching.

I get all the angst.
=============
The big HOWEVER is QB decisions.

not keeping Brady

Choosing and staying with Mac Jones

not securing a free agent QB to back up Jones (Zappe wasn't even on the 53; anyone could taken him for their #3)
=========
TO BE CLEAR
If Mac Jones turned out to be a top 10 QB (reasonable for a top 15 pick), we would likely have been in the playoffs in 2022 and 2023, and be look forward to a run deep into the playoffs in the next couple of years.
=====
THE OTHER HOPELESS GM DECISIONS
were to make Patricia OC and OL coach while having Judge as the QB coach. These decisions were simply negligent.
==============
AS AN ASIDE,

it was Belichick's COACHING failure to allow Patricia to continue to play Wynn at RT after that hadn't worked during the pre-season and early season. Wynn was actually an asset as a backup LG and perhaps backup LT. He was a travesty at RT. Let's see: Wynn or Onwenu. Let's check it out in the pre-season. Patricia chose Wynn and stayed with him. HEAD COACH Belichick refused to step in after this was such a failure.
Although Bill claims to be in a player's league he supports coaches more than players.

Although Bill claims to be in a player's league he supports coaches more than players.
Stephen A Smith summed it up the best. The GOAT at HC helped force the exit of the GOAT QB and the new England area hasn't forgotten that. We haven't!! I'm embracing change. The coaching staff and roster is filled with nothing but " guys he likes and wants to be around "

Guys like nick Caley, Brian Flores aren't ass kissers they spoke up for themselves when here.

If Bill stays, I predict Dimetroff, Robinson or Pioli return. Both Dimetroff and Robinson picked some very good players with the Falcons and Titans.
That's just it. "If bills stays" if so, those guys could absolutely come back however the issue at hand would be Bill still has final say!

each year these articles come out that give insight into bill as a GM the more I really feel he doesn't value offense at all.

its the only explanation you can have for hamstringing brady with a garbage offense at the end, pushing brady out the door "anyone can produce in our system", hiring patricia, wanting to keep patricia, not picking offense until the 4th - 6th round, refusing to let your OC pick his own staff...

its clear he for years took for granted having McDaniels control the offense and having Brady run it. instead of understanding "well maybe Josh is a good OC and brady is an amazing QB" he took it as "i'm amazing and my system made them" and his arrogance thought any bozo could coach his offense or play QB and it would look the same.

the sad thing is all this could've been avoided had bill made fairly simple decisions you or I could make.

1. last year replace mcDaniels with someone anyone who had experience coaching offense. and invest in WR/OL

2. this year let Bill O'brien pick his own staff, and try and address WR/OL. instead he hamstrung O'brien giving him patricias staff so he couldn't impelement what he wanted and gave the offense some jags and said make it work. it was just an FU to kraft for making him move on from fat Matt. yet in the end he screwed himself.

There isn't a link on it believe. Curran made mention of it. He stated that when here Caley was approached about calling the plays, but declined when he wouldn't be given the title of OC, Flores as he was here since 2004 Like pepper Johnson kept getting over looked for promotional opportunities but still stayed with the team.

There isn't a link on it believe. Curran made mention of it. He stated that when here Caley was approached about calling the plays, but declined when he wouldn't be given the title of OC, Flores as he was here since 2004 Like pepper Johnson kept getting over looked for promotional opportunities but still stayed with the team.
I like Curran but we'll see how his credibility is when Monday morning rolls around and if the Pats keep BB or not.

I like Curran but we'll see how his credibility is when Monday morning rolls around and if the Pats keep BB or not.
It's also reported Caley mentioned by Callahan in the herald report from last season as well. So we'll see exactly what Rk decided to do.. I think at this point I wouldn't be suprised if Bill stayed or left.

It's also reported Caley mentioned by Callahan in the herald report from last season as well. So we'll see exactly what Rk decided to do.. I think at this point I wouldn't be suprised if Bill stayed or left.
So it must be easy to find a link with all this reporting going on.

So it must be easy to find a link with all this reporting going on.
Yes I mentioned the herald report from last season Andrew Callahan. I'm trying to attach the link having an issue. Anyway if you get a chance you can check it out.

I don’t think Monday can possibly say anything about Curran’s credibility given that he’s playing both sides. No matter what happens, Curran on one day will be right and Curran on another day will be wrong.

each year these articles come out that give insight into bill as a GM the more I really feel he doesn't value offense at all.

its the only explanation you can have for hamstringing brady with a garbage offense at the end, pushing brady out the door "anyone can produce in our system", hiring patricia, wanting to keep patricia, not picking offense until the 4th - 6th round, refusing to let your OC pick his own staff...

its clear he for years took for granted having McDaniels control the offense and having Brady run it. instead of understanding "well maybe Josh is a good OC and brady is an amazing QB" he took it as "i'm amazing and my system made them" and his arrogance thought any bozo could coach his offense or play QB and it would look the same.

the sad thing is all this could've been avoided had bill made fairly simple decisions you or I could make.

1. last year replace mcDaniels with someone anyone who had experience coaching offense. and invest in WR/OL

2. this year let Bill O'brien pick his own staff, and try and address WR/OL. instead he hamstrung O'brien giving him patricias staff so he couldn't impelement what he wanted and gave the offense some jags and said make it work. it was just an FU to kraft for making him move on from fat Matt. yet in the end he screwed himself.
The winning masked things like this. The loosing exposed it. Bill was instrumental in the winning with the GOAT I'm always going to be thankful to Bill. People on here make it about a bill/Brady debate it's not that ended. It's focusing on where we are as an organization currently constructed. On replacing McDaniels as it was reported last year in the herald reports with Karen gurgregian nick caley during the 2022 off season was approached about taking over as play caller. He declined as he wouldn't be named OC. So that made it real easy for Bill to go to Patricia.

I don’t think Monday can possibly say anything about Curran’s credibility given that he’s playing both sides. No matter what happens, Curran on one day will be right and Curran on another day will be wrong.
With all the chaos surrounding the team right now I wouldn't be suprised either way if Bill stayed or he didn't. I can see either or happening. Either way it goes we aren't any closer to another Lombardi.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back