PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Discussion on Jerod Mayo candidacy as HC

I think it's also possible that we may be in for more than one coaching and QB cycle as they figure this out. It's rare it all works out on the first try, so I feel like we might want to buckle up for some frustration ahead. This isn't going to be as smooth as I think most of us hope and given what we've seen around the league (and obviously, even here), I think we're in for a bumpy ride.
Richard Sherman said exactly that on the tv show with Skip, the next guy after greatness is always going to get fired so the next guy will be in a vulcanic seat from day one no matter what

Last edited:
Richard Sherman said exactly that on the tv show with Skip, the next guy after greatness is always going to get fired so the next guy will be in a vulcanic seat from day one no matter what

True. Also true: The next guy after a failed coach is also almost always going to get fired.

True. Also true: The next guy after a failed coach is also almost always going to get fired.
Looking at this not sure how many good coaches would want to come here.

No talent on two sides ( offense, ST) and ageing defense with complete rebuild .

I think mayo would possibly be the only option.

No talent on two sides ( offense, ST) and ageing defense with complete rebuild .

They have to nail the next draft and free agent signings no matter who is coach. If they don't it could be a long time to get back into contention, if they nail it, we could be back competing fairly quickly. As far as the next coach following greatness, Pittsburgh has done ok changing coaches, Dallas did ok after Landry, San Fran did ok after Walsh.

If Mayo is the HC, who is the staff around him?
Has he been meeting up with possible coordinators behind closed doors?
Or are we looking at a situation where we are scraping for a coaching staff and run it back with Mcdaniels or Obrein as OC?

I do not know if it has been said and I thought it best not to start a thread on it.
If Jerod Mayo ...should Bill leave ... does not become the new head coach it will set the team back years.

A black man who has much respect from the players ... replaced by some white ass unproven or retread coach.

BOOM !!!

Mayo has worked hard for it and deserves it ... he will reclaim the locker room he has been loyal.
Inexperienced ...sure ... but hire an experienced offensive minded assistant coach for him ... is what the team needs.
It's not that he deserves it because he is a black man .... he deserves it because he has earned it.
Throw in a veteran backup QB to lead the locker room .... this is not difficult.

There is no other candidate on this team ... Joe Judge throw him in the dumpster.
So what if Mayo played for and coached for Belichick .... what is he some idiot without his own thoughts?

There so I have said it if nobody else has .... Kraft and sponsors keep the brand ... Mayo gets what he deserves.
The players get what they deserve ... team gets a respected leader ... will take a few years but that would happen anyways.
Also ... who knows with another great draft like 2023 and decent cap room ... the team is right back in it.

Disclaimer ... a hypothetical scenario if Belichick moves on.

Last edited:
Mayo is a fine choice and choosing him wouldn't be disruptive.

This Mayo's time. If he doesn't get the HC job, it is reasonable that he goes elsewhere, either as a HC or as a DC with strong prospects to be a HC in the future.

Consider what defensive coaches will be left when both Belichick and Mayo are done poaching.

The Defense could be top 5, but it is a bit much to expect that if the coaching staff is almost all gone.
=============
I'm fine with whoever the GM and HC want for OC. H could be Josh; he could be BOB; he could be someone else.
============
The new leaf required is at GM.

Mayo is a fine choice and choosing him wouldn't be disruptive.

This Mayo's time. If he doesn't get the HC job, it is reasonable that he goes elsewhere, either as a HC or as a DC with strong prospects to be a HC in the future.

Consider what defensive coaches will be left when both Belichick and Mayo are done poaching.

The Defense could be top 5, but it is a bit much to expect that if the coaching staff is almost all gone.
=============
I'm fine with whoever the GM and HC want for OC. H could be Josh; he could be BOB; he could be someone else.
============
The new leaf required is at GM.
We don’t know this, but it’s reasonable to think that if Bill was extended through 2024 that many of the assistant coaches also have contracts that go beyond this season. I even heard a report O’Brien is signed through 2025. If that’s the case, Bill could only poach current Patriots coaches for the OC and DC positions with his new team without the Patriots consent.

Of course, this could be an unofficial part of discussions about compensation like the Jets allowing Pioli and Weis to leave with Bill to the Patriots were in 2000.

Why would Josh McDaniels be inclined to follow Bill to his next team? He left his family behind in Massachusetts when coaching the Raiders. Why would he leave them behind again to accept a position when every dollar he earns at the new team would offset dollar for dollar the 4 years $11 m a year still owed to him by the Raiders? Separate from your family and work ridiculous hours for nothing more monetarily than what he could earn sitting home and collecting his Raider guarantees.

I do not know if it has been said and I thought it best not to start a thread on it.
If Jerod Mayo ...should Bill leave ... does not become the new head coach it will set the team back years.

A black man who has much respect from the players ... replaced by some white ass unproven or retread coach.

I am curious about the reason behind this choice of words bolded above.

BOOM !!!

Mayo has worked hard for it and deserves it ... he will reclaim the locker room he has been loyal.
Inexperienced ...sure ... but hire an experienced offensive minded assistant coach for him ... is what the team needs.
It's not that he deserves it because he is a black man .... he deserves it because he has earned it.
Throw in a veteran backup QB to lead the locker room .... this is not difficult.

There is no other candidate on this team ... Joe Judge throw him in the dumpster.
So what if Mayo played for and coached for Belichick .... what is he some idiot without his own thoughts?

There so I have said it if nobody else has .... Kraft and sponsors keep the brand ... Mayo gets what he deserves.
The players get what they deserve ... team gets a respected leader ... will take a few years but that would happen anyways.
Also ... who knows with another great draft like 2023 and decent cap room ... the team is right back in it.

I'm still unclear on what, exactly, Jerod Mayo has done to EARN a head coaching job -- it's not obvious from his brief career as an assistant. His experience comprises one sentence on the team's website: "Jerod Mayo began his coaching career as inside linebackers coach with the New England Patriots in 2019." He has not been a coordinator, at least not officially, although it's assumed he co-coordinates the defense with Steve Belichick. Otherwise we have anecdotes from Bob Kraft and others praising Mayo's reputation as motivational leader and CEO-type organizer, which sound great but that's about it.

Maybe it's just me, but I would hope for more from an in-house candidate in terms of experience and qualifications to be considered head coach heir apparent. Especially if passing him over presumably "would set the team back years," which I very much doubt. I'd consider a predecessor like Brian Flores more highly qualified re. what he has accomplished.

Beyond the Rooney Rule I have no idea how much emphasis race should receive in selecting a head coach. On one hand you call Mayo a black man who has much respect from the players. On the other hand, you say he shouldn't get the job simply because of his race. Ideally, race shouldn't factor into who ultimately gets the job -- it should come down to demonstrated capabilities. In Mayo's case, the latter is murky at best to the outside observer. The more I think about it, the more skeptical I get about Mayo being qualified to run a team sans a longer track record at least as coordinator somewhere.

Last edited:
I am curious about the reason behind this choice of words bolded above.

I'm still unclear on what, exactly, Jerod Mayo has done to EARN a head coaching job -- it's not obvious from his career as an assistant. His experience comprises one sentence on the team's website: "Jerod Mayo began his coaching career as inside linebackers coach with the New England Patriots in 2019." He has not been a coordinator, at least not officially, although it's assumed he co-coordinates the defense with Steve Belichick. Otherwise we have anecdotes from Bob Kraft and others praising Mayo's reputation as motivational leader and CEO-type organizer, which sound great but that's about it.

Maybe it's just me, but I would hope for more from an in-house candidate in terms of experience and qualifications to be considered head coach heir apparent. Especially if passing him over presumably "would set the team back years," which I very much doubt. I'd consider a predecessor like Brian Flores more highly qualified re. what he has accomplished.

Beyond the Rooney Rule I have no idea how much emphasis race should receive in selecting a head coach. On one hand you call Mayo a black man who has much respect from the players. On the other hand, you say he shouldn't get the job simply because of his race. Ideally, race shouldn't factor into who ultimately gets the job -- it should come down to demonstrated capabilities. In Mayo's case, the latter is murky at best to the outside observer. The more I think about it, the more skeptical I get about Mayo being qualified to run a team sans a longer track record at least as coordinator somewhere.

But think of all the fans here and across the land that will love him to pieces. That's good right?

I’m looking at Wes Welker or smith in Miami, Brian Johnson, or Kevin Patullo in Philly.
Ben Johnson in Detroit. Brian Griese in San Fran, Jim Harbaugh, before I’m looking at Mayo.

We need a offensive head coach.

An article from 14 months ago that more or less echoes the points in my post. OK, Mayo is considered well-liked, personable and knowledgeable about the game. BUT he is only 37 with very limited coaching experience/responsibility under his belt. What has he accomplished in terms of innovation and on-field success that qualifies him as candidate for head coach? There are plenty of assistants across the NFL boasting stronger resumes as coordinators or ex-head coaches.

Jerod Mayo can talk all he wants about his desire to lead a team. But the potential everyone believes he has is mostly anecdotal vs. tangible at this point, which may or may not be enough to entrust with leading a football operation. Seems to me he needs more seasoning.

Your "white ass" remark still begs an explanation.

I think people are putting far too much stock in what Curran has to say. Until I hear different from Kraft, I am under the assumption that Bill will be back next year.

BOOM !!!

Why would you bring race into it?

Mayo has only been coaching for 5 years. How has he earned the HC job? How has he earned it more than the many coaches out there who have been coaching longer, have been coordinators, and have had success?

I like Mayo but acting like he has earned the job and it would be an affront to hire someone else is crazy. He would be one of the least experienced HCs hired in the history of the league.

I think people are putting far too much stock in what Curran has to say. Until I hear different from Kraft, I am under the assumption that Bill will be back next year.
Agreed. Curran has turned into a rumor monger who has developed a skill the phrase things in a way that doesn’t say it’s from an inside source but lets people assume it is.
In this case it was “the conversations I had”. With who? His dog?
It that same statement he called the Saints and Redskins games “high profile” games that “his conversations” led him to believe were a breaking point. Who in the world would be considering those games high profile?

I’m looking at Wes Welker or smith in Miami, Brian Johnson, or Kevin Patullo in Philly.
Ben Johnson in Detroit. Brian Griese in San Fran, Jim Harbaugh, before I’m looking at Mayo.

We need an offensive head coach.
Wow.

An article from 14 months ago that more or less echoes the points in my post. OK, Mayo is considered well-liked, personable and knowledgeable about the game. BUT he is only 37 with very limited coaching experience/responsibility under his belt. What has he accomplished in terms of innovation and on-field success that qualifies him as candidate for head coach? There are plenty of assistants across the NFL boasting stronger resumes as coordinators or ex-head coaches.

Jerod Mayo can talk all he wants about his desire to lead a team. But the potential everyone believes he has is mostly anecdotal vs. tangible at this point, which may or may not be enough to entrust with leading a football operation. Seems to me he needs more seasoning.

Your "white ass" remark still begs an explanation.
If you need an explanation for 'white ass' that tells me you cannot comprehend the repercussions to begin with.
This thread is not about me ... so that's all I will say on that.

Take a look at Joe Mazzulla of the Celtics ... they surround him with veteran voices ... Mayo can get the same.
There have been many failed sharp knife coaches across all sports ...
Just some from our teams of the past ... McDaniels ... Patricia .... O'Brien .... where did it get them as head coaches?
Many ... most ... if not all of the best are/were in their day great leaders of men ... this is across all sports.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back