PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo calls out BB for Mac Jones failures

There is no pressure on Mayo for anything. He’s a rookie HC inheriting a lousy football team that his predecessor built.
Yes, agree thou it was tongue in cheek, but no pressure would be a stretch. He’s following a legend. His boss has one foot in the grave, and would die a happier man if he had just one more ring…. It would be akin to saying there was no pressure on Mac when he came. I also agree the team isn’t stellar, but that defense was above avg, incredibly high draft picks… and lots of cash to burn. Sounds like he’s exactly the guy Kraft wanted, so ya … the pressure will be intense.

There is no pressure on Mayo for anything. He’s a rookie HC inheriting a lousy football team that his predecessor built.
By definition, being an NFL coach is a high pressure job under any circumstances. Add the fact that he has a limited time to turn things around to your list and Mayo's is under a lot of pressure.

There has to be some pressure. He already coached here and the D is solid, returning their 2 best players (Barmore is just ahead of CG) from injury. He retained a bunch of coaches on that side of the ball.
The team is so lousy that they resigned a bunch of their own free agents. We all know the problem is on Offense, where they hired a new veteran staff but failed (a big miss here but reasonable considering our QB/LT situation) to get a veteran free agent WR (a No.2 would have appeased the board...could still happen but doubtful), which they need badly. There really weren't good long term options for LT. No one wanted to come here either by the looks of it. No cash burned on outsiders.
So the draft is the only thing left and we will struggle again this year on offense unless The Drake turns into a Marino-type his first season. Brissett will not move the needle enough but he knows what he's doing. We need a solid LT and a go-to WR. Doubt it if Pats land both in the draft (it could be one or the other). Have to wait until 2025 when the new QB will take over but we have to acquire the other 2 positions mentioned. Then the pressure will be on. It has to and it will come from this board and the media (who cares), even from Mayo supporters.

After Belichick has a much needed vacation away from the grind of the NFL he will be recharged and ready to accept one of the numerous offers to HC/GM an NFL team again.
No NFL team is offering Belichick a HC/GM role. Not one. The only offer he received was a DC position with the 49ers.

More bologna and chips for other people.
Exactly.

Is that why Thunder kicked Pom Pom Pete to curb after 3 seasons. He lasted as long as Corky Mac Jones another Kraft success story.
But you spent weeks and dozens of posts telling everyone Mac would be QB1 starting Wk 1 this season. What happened? Don't you get tired of being wrong all the time? Apparently not.

Carrol took over Parcells Super Bowl team and won 1 post season game. His players coaching style was a joke.
That's 1 more post season game than Bill (0) in his last 4 seasons. Carroll didn't have a losing season in his 3 years. Bill had 3 losing seasons in 4 years.

Here’s the thing. Mayo’s now drawn the line. If whoever we draft doesn’t develop, 100% will he be held accountable and summarily fired.
I honestly believe mayo would have to absolutely blow it as a HC to be fired. I believe he's been given alot of room to grow as a HC.. the organization knows we are starting anew with a QB and will do everything to correctly develop him.

Difference here is it's not one sole person having so much control.

I agree, I said in a separate post that Mayo has alot of room to grow. The organization I believe has learned from it's past miscues. Drafting and correctly developing the QB is the mission. I have absolutely 0 worries on the other side of the ball. We have ready-made defense to compete. If the offense is middling at best I'd like our chances this season. Had his legendary predecessor correctly developed the QB we'd be in great shape.

Reactions: sb1
After Belichick has a much needed vacation away from the grind of the NFL he will be recharged and ready to accept one of the numerous offers to HC/GM an NFL team again.
Bill is done. He's too old at this point. Also, he'll want control and probably won't be able to build a strong staff.
Is that why Thunder kicked Pom Pom Pete to curb after 3 seasons. He lasted as long as Corky Mac Jones another Kraft success story.

Carrol took over Parcells Super Bowl team and won 1 post season game. His players coaching style was a joke. Playing shirts and skins B Ball with the players post practice. Dew Bledsoe jumped into a mosh pit and injured someone. Pom Pom posed for Thunder in the Pats Pro Shop catalog modeling the latest in fashion.
Carroll wasn't the problem and he proved that with his stint at USC and Seattle. They would've easily been the #2 seed in 1997 had they been healthy. 1998 was the start when teams were catching and/or surpassing the Pats. Flutie joining the Bills gave them serious problems. Martin haunted the Pats since joining the Jets. The Dolphins were once again giving them problems. Bledsoe injuring his finger derailed the season. By 1999, the team was deteriorating beginning with the Robert Edwards injury. Grier had some horrendous drafts and personnel decisions like letting Sam Gash go, letting Jimmy Hitchcock go because of the Chris Canty selection, letting Willie Clay go in favor of Chris Carter and Rucci/Lane extensions.

Bob was just embarrassed with how the situation unfolded with Parcells, getting poison pilled with Martin, Martin running all over the Pats, and going 1-4 against Parcells' Jets from 1997-1999. Bob needed to blame someone.

No NFL team is offering Belichick a HC/GM role. Not one. The only offer he received was a DC position with the 49ers.

Exactly.

But you spent weeks and dozens of posts telling everyone Mac would be QB1 starting Wk 1 this season. What happened? Don't you get tired of being wrong all the time? Apparently not.

That's 1 more post season game than Bill (0) in his last 4 seasons. Carroll didn't have a losing season in his 3 years. Bill had 3 losing seasons in 4 years.
Agreed 100%. Bill is done. He's not coaching anymore. He's dedicated his life to the sport. His legacy is cemented in history. I just wish he could have won without Brady.

I hate all the bill backstabbing. but is there any doubt that the way they handled mac jones was wrong? now maybe he would've been trash on his own doing. BUT

3 OC's in 3 years, (one being a DC who never coached offense) and giving that player mid-average receivers isn't exactly the best way to nurture a young QB.

problem is, our next QB while they may have an actual OC (jury is up how good he is/will be) has no wide receivers to throw to either. So makes you question, does Bill not value receivers, or is kraft too cheap to pay for a top one.

Bill is done. He's too old at this point. Also, he'll want control and probably won't be able to build a strong staff.
BB will absolutely coach again in the NFL.

Patricia, Judge, Steve B, Belichick would have no problem building a front office and staff.
Carroll wasn't the problem and he proved that with his stint at USC and Seattle.
If Carrol was not part of the USC problem then why did the NCAA find that USC showed a lack of institutional control. Petey was part of the institution at the grassroots level.

Carrol lost the SB to NE by way of the most idiotic call in SB history. Furthermore, Seattle won by defense and Carrol did not build or call the Seattle defense.
They would've easily been the #2 seed in 1997 had they been healthy. 1998 was the start when teams were catching and/or surpassing the Pats. Flutie joining the Bills gave them serious problems. Martin haunted the Pats since joining the Jets. The Dolphins were once again giving them problems. Bledsoe injuring his finger derailed the season. By 1999, the team was deteriorating beginning with the Robert Edwards injury. Grier had some horrendous drafts and personnel decisions like letting Sam Gash go, letting Jimmy Hitchcock go because of the Chris Canty selection, letting Willie Clay go in favor of Chris Carter and Rucci/Lane extensions.
Pom Pom Pete won 10 Pats games in 97, won 9 games in 98 and won 8 games in 99. Kraft saw the writing on the wall that the ship was going down. Parcells was a disciplinarian like BB and Carrol and Mayo are not.

You want to talk about injuries? BB lost 3 of the best players on his 2023 defense (Judon, Marcus Jones and Rodriguez) and the Pats defense was still the strength of the team.
Bob was just embarrassed with how the situation unfolded with Parcells, getting poison pilled with Martin, Martin running all over the Pats, and going 1-4 against Parcells' Jets from 1997-1999. Bob needed to blame someone.
Just like today.

Kraft could have fired BB and kept Brady but he did not have the balls. BB told Kraft that Brady was done? HAHA what a BS reason after Brady and the Pats just won 12 games. Kraft was on his booster seat watching it all and Brady showed no signs of decline whatsoever. Kraft was shocked that Brady won the Super Bowl in Tampa on a team with Mike Evans and Chris Godwin? I wasn't and Kraft owns the team.

The beauty of how Kraft has structured the team now is that there are lots of options to cast blame. BB was 1 stop shopping.

I hate all the bill backstabbing. but is there any doubt that the way they handled mac jones was wrong? now maybe he would've been trash on his own doing. BUT

3 OC's in 3 years, (one being a DC who never coached offense) and giving that player mid-average receivers isn't exactly the best way to nurture a young QB.

problem is, our next QB while they may have an actual OC (jury is up how good he is/will be) has no wide receivers to throw to either. So makes you question, does Bill not value receivers, or is kraft too cheap to pay for a top one.
I believe Bill was under the impression that Mac could elevate in a way Brady did the guys around him. Mac played with a lot of confidence his rookie season.

As I've said in many post the un-doing was in 2022 , basically the entire team never bought in to what was done to the offense.

This season with no QB it was hard to convince guys to sign here however I do commend the team for doing something hardly ever done under Bill is Giving guys 2nd contracts. If teams take care of thier own guys that does wonders for the culture going forward.

BB will have his pick of jobs in 2025. Jerry Jones will offer him the keys to the city when McCarthy chokes again.
Your man Thunder is already talking "Playoffs" with his new cast of minions and yes men. Corky was another another top 5 pick for the 3 year rebuild that you have been crowing about since the Mayo was hired. Evidently this team is going straight to top year 1 now that all the Pats problems were solved by firing Belichick.
Is that why Petey was fired? Such a great NFL HC went to lick his wounds at the college ranks.

Bill is done. He's too old at this point.
Agree and this is why:

In the last decade, the players coming into the locker room are different," Kraft said as he sat alongside Raiders wide receiver Davante Adams. "So how you relate to them, how you connect ... I think [Mayo] can relate to young people today."

Adams, entering his 11th NFL season, agreed with the overall point, saying: "In order for the team to realize and fulfill their full potential, you need somebody they're willing to play for. You're seeing a difference [from when I came into the league] ... the way you talk to them, the verbiage or understanding you approach them with; when you have guys that have lived it a little bit [as players] you can unlock a little bit of something with a few players."

The players (incl. many ex-Pats) have been saying this for years. The owners also recognize this. That's why you're seeing a transition to younger coaches. Bill and Pete were the last of a dying breed (>70 yo HCs).

BB will absolutely coach again in the NFL.

Patricia, Judge, Steve B, Belichick would have no problem building a front office and staff.
Not happening at his age. Both Patricia and Judge continue to get their reputations tarnished. Eagles just showed Patricia the door. If Bill is willing to play with others and not want full control, he'd have a better shot with a team that continues to choke like the Cowboys and Bills.
If Carrol was not part of the USC problem then why did the NCAA find that USC showed a lack of institutional control. Petey was part of the institution at the grassroots level.
USC football was declining big time and took a back seat to UCLA in the mid to late 90's until Carroll arrived. They won 2 national titles and went to 3 Championship games under him. Media and fans loved him and the players were rock stars. It was like having a pro team in LA. No USC fans were mad at him until he bailed on them before the punishments came down.
Carrol lost the SB to NE by way of the most idiotic call in SB history. Furthermore, Seattle won by defense and Carrol did not build or call the Seattle defense.
Can't defend that.
Pom Pom Pete won 10 Pats games in 97, won 9 games in 98 and won 8 games in 99. Kraft saw the writing on the wall that the ship was going down. Parcells was a disciplinarian like BB and Carrol and Mayo are not.
You're ignoring what led to that. It doesn't matter what coaching style you have when you have major injuries on your team. Pats had no depth at the positions they had injuries which wasn't exactly unusual during that era.
You want to talk about injuries? BB lost 3 of the best players on his 2023 defense (Judon, Marcus Jones and Rodriguez) and the Pats defense was still the strength of the team.
They still only 4 games last year so not sure how that supports your rebuttal above. Marcus Jones should not be on this list as he's returner. Rodriguez must be new. Never heard of him....yes, I know who you're talking about.
Kraft could have fired BB and kept Brady but he did not have the balls. BB told Kraft that Brady was done? HAHA what a BS reason after Brady and the Pats just won 12 games. Kraft was on his booster seat watching it all and Brady showed no signs of decline whatsoever. Kraft was shocked that Brady won the Super Bowl in Tampa on a team with Mike Evans and Chris Godwin? I wasn't and Kraft owns the team.
Kraft had to cut the cord after everything that had transpired starting with Brady.

Agree and this is why:

In the last decade, the players coming into the locker room are different," Kraft said as he sat alongside Raiders wide receiver Davante Adams. "So how you relate to them, how you connect ... I think [Mayo] can relate to young people today."

Adams, entering his 11th NFL season, agreed with the overall point, saying: "In order for the team to realize and fulfill their full potential, you need somebody they're willing to play for. You're seeing a difference [from when I came into the league] ... the way you talk to them, the verbiage or understanding you approach them with; when you have guys that have lived it a little bit [as players] you can unlock a little bit of something with a few players."

The players (incl. many ex-Pats) have been saying this for years. The owners also recognize this. That's why you're seeing a transition to younger coaches. Bill and Pete were the last of a dying breed (>70 yo HCs).
I think more of Bill's downfall was his personnel moves starting with Tom Brady. This was a time as an Owner you interfere and sign the player to what he wants as what Kraft mentioned to the media during his damage control tour. This would've been Bill's first year without Tom and probably would've surpassed Shula in wins. On the other hand, we're hearing from Hoyer that Tom warned him that he may be playing hinting that Tom was going to sit out the season because he wanted to rework his contract to become a FA after 2019. Was this because he didn't get what he wanted, or did he just want out regardless?

On the other hand, we're hearing from Hoyer that Tom warned him that he may be playing hinting that Tom was going to sit out the season because he wanted to rework his contract to become a FA after 2019. Was this because he didn't get what he wanted, or did he just want out regardless?
The docu-series makes it pretty clear Tom wasn't signing another contract "period." It wasn't about the money or the years, it was the way Belichick was treating him. Both Gronk and Tom had enough of Bill's ****. Bill thought he could win with D and an avg QB. Bill was already losing the locker room in his late 60s. He done lost it in his 70s. He's cooked. No young player is going to want to deal with his tone deaf autocratic bull ****. He needs to retire and get into tv, write a book, get a cameo in a movie, enjoy life. Whatever.

Agree and this is why:

It sounds good, but if a team is on the verge of a Super Bowl run like the Cowboys and they come up short one more time, the players will galdly play for Bill to increase thier chance of getting a ring. Will they play 3 or 4 years for Bill? Probably not, but two years? Yup two years to make a run will be tolerable for the players on the edge of a SB ring.

Triumph is right, even though you hate that. He is talking about 1 year, or 2 years maximum. The players will work with Bill. Bill is still very good at game planning, teaching fundamentals, etc. For a year it is fun to be coached hard and greatly improve your skills.

It sounds good, but if a team is on the verge of a Super Bowl run like the Cowboys and they come up short one more time, the players will galdly play for Bill to increase thier chance of getting a ring. Will they play 3 or 4 years for Bill? Probably not, but two years? Yup two years to make a run will be tolerable for the players on the edge of a SB ring.

Triumph is right, even though you hate that. He is talking about 1 year, or 2 years maximum. The players will work with Bill. Bill is still very good at game planning, teaching fundamentals, etc. For a year it is fun to be coached hard and greatly improve your skills.
Maybe. We'll see.

I believe Bill was under the impression that Mac could elevate in a way Brady did the guys around him. Mac played with a lot of confidence his rookie season.

As I've said in many post the un-doing was in 2022 , basically the entire team never bought in to what was done to the offense.

This season with no QB it was hard to convince guys to sign here however I do commend the team for doing something hardly ever done under Bill is Giving guys 2nd contracts. If teams take care of thier own guys that does wonders for the culture going forward.

In the end if was Bill's hubris. it started with benching Malcolm butler. then trying to trade Gronkowski to detroit which means New England only has 5 super bowls......either way, asking a 2nd year player to elevate average talent is just poor coaching/management. and the idea that it worked with Brady is I see that alot on this board and I feel its abit of revisionist history.

the supposed "decline" that bill saw in Brady in 2018 and 2019 was in large part because Bill left him out to dry. He did the best he could being the GOAT and McDaniels put on a coaching clinic in 2018 to save the season after the loss against pittsburgh. but no one can argue the results of going from 25tds in 2019 struggling to 40 and winning a super bowl with better talent in 2020.

I do somewhat agree that patriots are not a destination for guys to sign right now. new coach, no QB, very much a team in limbo. Now maybe that changes in a year we will see. can only hope.

Mayo needs to cool it with talking to the media. It’s not doing him or the team any favors.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back