PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If it’s Jerod Mayo is the successor then just bring bill back

Tired Ariana Grande GIF by NETFLIX

Hating on Mayo already. What the actual F.
WTF is with that? For all we know Mayo could turn out to be the best decision, the worst or anything in between. He may not even become the HC.

It's not so hard but you need a little luck and Good Scouting. Everytime the Patriots missed on a WR others Teams do well that Harry year was a Good Year to Draft a WR and we took the guy who was the Worse fit. Some Teams hit on Third Round WR in that very Draft. That said we have Gonzo...Penix Jr. or Nix could fill that QB void one player at a time.
Your chances of finding a good WR were smaller than your chances of finding a bust in the first 2 rounds of that great WR draft you're talking about.

4 stud WRs, 5 busts taken in the first 2 rounds.

I think Penix and Nix are going to be busts.

Your chances of finding a good WR were smaller than your chances of finding a bust in the first 2 rounds of that great WR draft you're talking about.

That's your opinion most people I talk to like those Two the most for us. I am now leaning towards Penix Jr.

In Mac Jones' first season here he looked decent but doesn't even look like the same QB now. And the magic question is why has Jones regressed to the point he has? Who can we blame for that?
The National Media is blaming Bill for Mac's decline because of musical chairs of coaches and lack of building around him. Bill should take a lot of blame, but Mac is the same QB he was in 2021. He was protected a lot with the effectiveness of the ground game and beating up on bad teams. However, Mac and the Pats are pretty bad when they face competition .500 and above as it's becoming an automatic loss. Bill/Mac and the Pats are a whopping 5-18 against teams .500 and above.

The National Media is blaming Bill for Mac's decline because of musical chairs of coaches and lack of building around him. Bill should take a lot of blame, but Mac is the same QB he was in 2021. He was protected a lot with the effectiveness of the ground game and beating up on bad teams. However, Mac and the Pats are pretty bad when they face competition .500 and above as it's becoming an automatic loss. Bill/Mac and the Pats are a whopping 5-18 against teams .500 and above.
A young stud QB fixes a lot of ills.

Maye, Williams, McCarthy, Daniels Nix .
Any of those 5 have me excited for the future.
I think if Bill stays Mcdaniels has to come back.

I’m going to say I think Ben Johnson is the coaching Prize this year and if moving on from Bill should be the guy we are looking at.

If we are going with a defensive minded head coach this would be my vote.

If the new OC has any success, he will get snatched up quickly by a team seeking an offensive minded HC.
It's the way of the league these days.
A team with a quality QB and ambitions of success should want to create long term continuity/synergy on offense and not have to replace OCs every other year.

Link======>>>

NFL teams with offensive-minded head coaches are more likely to succeed​

I hear you, but that’s also why they could solve that by making more of an effort to do a better job continuity-wise. They didn’t even really seem to have much of a in-house plan if/when McDaniels left…the Patricia decision notwithstanding. Albeit, he took one of those candidates with him IIRC, but that might not have happened had an opportunity been there for him to ascend.

some here voiced that opinion last season, but they were rightfully labeled as trolls, pink hats, and haters for failing to genuflect properly.
If someone says the sun will die tomorrow, and we make fun of him for being a psychopath, and the sun dies tomorrow, we were still right for calling him a psychopath

Mayo is in a weird position. He dropped a HC interview to come back to the Pats without a title (sharing responsibilities with Steve) and now the rumor is running rampant that Bill is on the hot seat. If Bill is let go, I would hope for Mayo's sake that Kraft keeps him and promotes him officially to DC. Carroll kept Scarrnechia from Parcells staff, but coached special teams from 1997-1998 and back to OL in 1999. It would turn out to be an idiotic business decision by Mayo if he ends up not staying with the Pats and has a lateral move coaching LB's somewhere else in the league.

With that said, the Pats need a reset in front office, coaches, uniforms and how they interact with fans (they've always been behind on the times).
Mayo can probably get a DC job somewhere else. The problem is that Belichick being on the hot seat is going to mean that any succession plans become irrelevant. Also with a new HC, Kraft isn't going to force assistant coaches on him because of the past, it's a sure way to create conflict down the line. The new HC is going to be able to pick his staff.

If Mayo is the next HC I'm hoping that he learned a lot under Bill but I don't think he'll be a carbon copy, as some here think. I'm hoping that he learned from some of Bill's mistakes and will operate in his own way. Being an ex player could also help.

WTF is with that? For all we know Mayo could turn out to be the best decision, the worst or anything in between. He may not even become the HC.
I think the point is just the lack of benefit of the doubt. People are sort of making assumptions without anything really to back it up, primarily out of dislike for Bill. Which isn't exactly fair to Mayo.

I want Bill to stay, with an independent GM brought in, and celebrate his toppling of Shula’s coaching victory record.

The key is a GM who’s not a suck-up toady. Esp when draft time comes around in April.
Maybe it's nostalgia, but I was thinking along that line.
I don't think he would go for it, but I would take away his GM responsibilities completely. Give him the chance to be just a coach. Maybe we owe him that option.
I didn't want to admit it, but his drafting has completely sucked lately and he has way overpaid for for crappy retread offensive players.

The concerning thing is...the one thing I was proudest of with former Pats teams, was how buttoned up they were compared to to the rest.
Now they are an undisciplined mess, just like all the teams we used to make fun of. That's on BB.

Yeah I want neither.

I’d consider Daniels in the teens if we can trade back up.

He may be gone.

Underclass decisions will heavily influence this QB draft

Yeah I want neither.

I’d consider Daniels in the teens if we can trade back up.

He may be gone.

Underclass decisions will heavily influence this QB draft
Penix scares me.
I’d take McCarthy or Daniels over him.

I think it would be a better decision to go with HC who has had more of a resume instead of a brand new one tbh. Mayo might be a great coach, but he has to succeed the greatest coach of all time. The pressure is immense for that alone. Any rookie mistake he makes, and it's going to be "well, Belichick wouldn't have done that". That feels like a situation where he is being set up to fail to me

The Patriot Way is over it can be summed up by saying your team leader was the best player and the hardest worker in the sport and that rubbed off on younger guys. Now younger guys are just younger guys and likely most cannot relate to BBs style.

Getting past the fact that Mayo has never made a coordinator level or executive football decision.................
Actually I can't get past this reality
So
For starters.....
I certainly expect a Mayo Administration to gut the likes of Cam Achord.......but what about his former teammates?
Would Mayo have the intestinal fortitude to fire current coaching failures Troy Brown and Adrian Klemm.....both former brothers in arms?

OIP.3wrg6wGZpFm0kW61NYpsDQHaIp

One thing that gives me hope of a Mayo head coach is that a lot of people who cover the team say that Mayo and Belichick do have some very different philosophies on football in a lot areas. Hopefully that means that Mayo can bring the best of Belichick and infuse some much needed modernization to his philosophy.

There is still a lot of what Bill has believed in over 50 years of coaching that is still relevant and sound coaching philosophies. Maybe Mayo can just infuse what is necessary to be successful in today's NFL into those philosophies.

I still think he needs to pair with a really good and innovative OC for him to ever be successful. I just don't know if he knows enough on that side of the ball to be hand holding an OC.

I like Mayo and if there was a way for the next coach to retain him as DC I wouldn't be too mad about it but for all his faults Bill can still scheme up a defense week to week. So why would we get rid of a defensive minded head coach for a defensive minded head coach without 20 years of experience? This is why I want to go with an offensive guy to pair with a rookie QB and let them work together for the long haul.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back