PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Stock up, stock down: week 2

203Pat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Just a disappointing game and one that will come back to haunt us down the stretch if we do get this thing turned around. I'll be honest, I have a hard time coming up with too many guys who played really well.

Stock up:

Christian Gonzalez. Played pretty well overall and that INT was a great play and he showed off the athleticism we have been hearing about. That really looked like a veteran McCourty type centerfield INT where he drifted towards Tyreek and just out jumped and outmuscled him. Second game in a row he played 100% of the snaps and with the depth at corner right now we needed every one of them.

Matt Judon or Ju-DON as that dope Cris Collinsworth says had another timely sack and just continues to be a force as a pass rusher. Didn't love having him dropping back in coverage but I get the general concept of what they were trying to do on defense.

Kyle Dugger. I know he got beat on the short TD by Hill but overall he had a solid game. He didn't get fooled on that jet sweep play to Waddle and blew it up in the backfield and had the PBU on third down. He also recovered the blocked field goal as well. I really hope we pay this guy at some point.

Stock down:

The offensive line. Just a mess. Trent Brown was out but the two guards were back and they looked just as bad as they did last week, maybe even worse. Strange looked lost multiple times and David Andrews flat out whiffed on that Zeke run and had some other miscues as well. Mac had no time to throw and they didn't really open any holes in the running game. This offensive line was the biggest question mark all summer and no questions have been answered yet. Free rushers in the passing game and guys getting blown up in the run game. Just flat out bad.

The offense as a whole. Just no explosion, no one who can win a man on man matchup, and an inability to score points. I don’t think Mac played particularly poorly and what truly worries me is that this is about what everyone on offense is. Just a bunch of guys who flat out aren't better than the guys they're lined up across from. Devante Parker made a play or tow but also got outmuscled on that third down drop and got out muscled on that interception by Xavier Howard. I don't know what Parker was doing there. He has Xavien Howard by a couple inches and 15-20 LBs and just got bullied out of bounds and out jumped for the pick. It was a poorly thrown ball but Parker can't let that be picked there. Overall just the same old, same old. Sloppy play and bad penalties. We get into any sort of rhythm and one bad play completely derails the whole thing. A holding call or a sack and the drive is dead in the water almost every time. This team was in a shootout last week and we couldn't seem to get anything going against a defense that really isn't that good.

Bill Belichick. Still no answer for Tua. 0-5 when Tua starts. The soft zones didn't work, and the blitzing doesn't seem to work. Bill just doesn't have an answer for a guy, who honestly, is no world beater. Aside from Tua why the hell do we have to play this antiquated game of "rookie fumbles he vanishes"? We don't have that luxury anymore. The only guy on offense with any sort of juice tonight was Pop Douglas and he fumbles and didn't see the field on offense again. Same thing happened to Rhmondre a couple years ago in Miami. He fumbled then vanished for weeks. Bill needs to put his best players on the field. I will live with the growing pains of rookies if they offer upside. I also don't know what the hell we were doing before the half? We got an extra 5 yards on the Dolphins penalty and then we just run with Zeke and seemed to be happy with a field goal. We need to keep our foot on the gas and not settle for 3. I also don't love the challenge (or Bill's little histrionics). Whomever told him to throw that flag should have checked the camera angles first because there was no clear evidence to overturn that one. Bill's coaching is our only real advantage on any given week and he needs to be better.

Jalani Tavai. This could go to Bill as well but how many times are we going to watch a guy run by him before he gets off the field. He has a role but against a team with speed like Miami's he is a completely liability. He got walled off on the edge on that TD run by Mostert and just seemed to get beaten to the edge repeatedly. Tavai has a role and is fine in that role but this wasn't it. This had shades of JuWhan Bentley in 2020. A solid player who was asked to do too much.

The run defense. They let Raheem Mostert run all over them. 121 yards and 2 TD's with a 40 something yarder completely untouched. Their RB's seemed to get at least 5 every time they touched the ball. Why do we employ guys like Godchaux, and Tavai to still get gashed against JAG RBs behind average offensive lines?

Just want to put this somewhere--stock down, instant replay. I'd be in favor of getting rid of it. There's no freaking rhyme or reason to the "clear and obvious" standard. The second you have to squint and agonize over a play, that's it. Let it stand. I thought replay was supposed to for when everyone goes, oh no! screwed that one up! Let's reverse it! But now it's something else completely. No chance that last play should have been overturned. I get that the Pats probably would have blown it anyway, but gtfo with that stuff

Just want to put this somewhere--stock down, instant replay. I'd be in favor of getting rid of it. There's no freaking rhyme or reason to the "clear and obvious" standard. The second you have to squint and agonize over a play, that's it. Let it stand. I thought replay was supposed to for when everyone goes, oh no! screwed that one up! Let's reverse it! But now it's something else completely. No chance that last play should have been overturned. I get that the Pats probably would have blown it anyway, but gtfo with that stuff
I agree. I know the refs are pretty bad but there have been multiple times where even with instant replay the call still ends up wrong. You see it first hand with how often the TV network's in house former ref says what will happen then 30 seconds later the referee crew at the game makes a different determination. Just be done with it altogether. It slows the game down and it is far from a perfect solution as is.

Agree with your takes

I would add

Stock up
Ryland - made his first field goals , this should boost his confidence
Schooler- great FG block

Stock down
Cole Strange - no comment necessary

Agree with your takes

I would add

Stock up
Ryland - made his first field goals , this should boost his confidence
Schooler- great FG block

Stock down
Cole Strange - no comment necessary
I agree. Good to see Ryland get his feet wet and I am just waiting for the league to outlaw Schooler's block technique within the week.

Just a disappointing game and one that will come back to haunt us down the stretch if we do get this thing turned around. I'll be honest, I have a hard time coming up with too many guys who played really well.

Stock up:

Christian Gonzalez. Played pretty well overall and that INT was a great play and he showed off the athleticism we have been hearing about. That really looked like a veteran McCourty type centerfield INT where he drifted towards Tyreek and just out jumped and outmuscled him. Second game in a row he played 100% of the snaps and with the depth at corner right now we needed every one of them.

Matt Judon or Ju-DON as that dope Cris Collinsworth says had another timely sack and just continues to be a force as a pass rusher. Didn't love having him dropping back in coverage but I get the general concept of what they were trying to do on defense.

Kyle Dugger. I know he got beat on the short TD by Hill but overall he had a solid game. He didn't get fooled on that jet sweep play to Waddle and blew it up in the backfield and had the PBU on third down. He also recovered the blocked field goal as well. I really hope we pay this guy at some point.

Stock down:

The offensive line. Just a mess. Trent Brown was out but the two guards were back and they looked just as bad as they did last week, maybe even worse. Strange looked lost multiple times and David Andrews flat out whiffed on that Zeke run and had some other miscues as well. Mac had no time to throw and they didn't really open any holes in the running game. This offensive line was the biggest question mark all summer and no questions have been answered yet. Free rushers in the passing game and guys getting blown up in the run game. Just flat out bad.

The offense as a whole. Just no explosion, no one who can win a man on man matchup, and an inability to score points. I don’t think Mac played particularly poorly and what truly worries me is that this is about what everyone on offense is. Just a bunch of guys who flat out aren't better than the guys they're lined up across from. Devante Parker made a play or tow but also got outmuscled on that third down drop and got out muscled on that interception by Xavier Howard. I don't know what Parker was doing there. He has Xavien Howard by a couple inches and 15-20 LBs and just got bullied out of bounds and out jumped for the pick. It was a poorly thrown ball but Parker can't let that be picked there. Overall just the same old, same old. Sloppy play and bad penalties. We get into any sort of rhythm and one bad play completely derails the whole thing. A holding call or a sack and the drive is dead in the water almost every time. This team was in a shootout last week and we couldn't seem to get anything going against a defense that really isn't that good.

Bill Belichick. Still no answer for Tua. 0-5 when Tua starts. The soft zones didn't work, and the blitzing doesn't seem to work. Bill just doesn't have an answer for a guy, who honestly, is no world beater. Aside from Tua why the hell do we have to play this antiquated game of "rookie fumbles he vanishes"? We don't have that luxury anymore. The only guy on offense with any sort of juice tonight was Pop Douglas and he fumbles and didn't see the field on offense again. Same thing happened to Rhmondre a couple years ago in Miami. He fumbled then vanished for weeks. Bill needs to put his best players on the field. I will live with the growing pains of rookies if they offer upside. I also don't know what the hell we were doing before the half? We got an extra 5 yards on the Dolphins penalty and then we just run with Zeke and seemed to be happy with a field goal. We need to keep our foot on the gas and not settle for 3. I also don't love the challenge (or Bill's little histrionics). Whomever told him to throw that flag should have checked the camera angles first because there was no clear evidence to overturn that one. Bill's coaching is our only real advantage on any given week and he needs to be better.

Jalani Tavai. This could go to Bill as well but how many times are we going to watch a guy run by him before he gets off the field. He has a role but against a team with speed like Miami's he is a completely liability. He got walled off on the edge on that TD run by Mostert and just seemed to get beaten to the edge repeatedly. Tavai has a role and is fine in that role but this wasn't it. This had shades of JuWhan Bentley in 2020. A solid player who was asked to do too much.

The run defense. They let Raheem Mostert run all over them. 121 yards and 2 TD's with a 40 something yarder completely untouched. Their RB's seemed to get at least 5 every time they touched the ball. Why do we employ guys like Godchaux, and Tavai to still get gashed against JAG RBs behind average offensive lines?

Two sake ngiris, a rainbow roll, and u-DON noodles thanks.

defensive gameplan wasn't the issue yesterday......they gameplanned correctly, injuries hurt.......execution tackling wise wasn't always the best

you can't generate much pressure when a guy is getting the ball out in 1.5 seconds, and all the yardage is YAC......the 3 safety shell was a decent gameplan, it just struggled a little with corner attrition......but they held that offense in check in the 2nd half for the most part, they threw for under 250, and one short drive for points hurt......you knew with that gameplan miami was going to get yards on the ground, that was part of it.......give them a couple healthy Joneses and that gameplan was solid

Aside from Tua why the hell do we have to play this antiquated game of "rookie fumbles he vanishes"? We don't have that luxury anymore. The only guy on offense with any sort of juice tonight was Pop Douglas and he fumbles and didn't see the field on offense again. Same thing happened to Rhmondre a couple years ago in Miami. He fumbled then vanished for weeks. Bill needs to put his best players on the field. I will live with the growing pains of rookies if they offer upside.
Totally agree. Reminded me of him holding Butler out during the Eagles Super Bowl despite the fact that nothing else was working. Bill's got his way and there sure doesn't seem to be any flexibility in adjusting for the situation at hand.

I don't know. I like it when it works out in our favor.

Stock up:

Gonzalez. Played a lot better than week 1.

Judon. Why did Chris Collinsworth say his name so weird?

Schooler. Blocked field goal and got into the kicker’s head late in the game.

Douglas. Aside from the fumble, he showed on a couple plays his YAC ability, something the offense desperately needs.

Ryland. His Welcome to the NFL moment was kicking a 49 yard field goal and made it.

Barringer. 3 of 4 punts were inside the 20.

Stock down:

Too many to name.

Offense. They look like a lightweight fighting a heavyweight.

Mac Jones. He is what he is, but his supporting cast are awful.

Bill O’Brien. Very generic play design and running screens to slow players getting popped on most plays. Isn’t doing a very good job designing plays around Mac’s limitations.

Rham. I’ve got a bad feeling this guy is going to be dependent on the O-line. He’s dead to rights like Michel when the blocking isn’t there.

O-line. They are what I thought they were. Fangio brought the heat late in the game and they couldn’t hold up.

WR’s. they are what I thought they were.

Schuster. Yikes!

Bill Belichick the GM. He’s making his coaching job more difficult with the way he’s building this team.

Bill the Coach. He’s becoming more animated on the sidelines as things aren’t going his way. Meanwhile, McDaniel is pretty calm or silent on the opposite sideline how Bill used to be. Putting Douglas on a timeout for getting striped from behind early is going to do more harm than good. This won’t work if they continue to lose. He’s now 0-5 against Tua and 10-22 against teams .500 and above since 2020.

Said it in the GDT. It's painful seeing how much we have to scratch and claw and fight to score points. It's like a chore...

Said it in the GDT. It's painful seeing how much we have to scratch and claw and fight to score points. It's like a chore...
This. If we have a 15 play scoring drive almost every play has to produce some positive yards. We basically need to run 15 plays in a row flawlessly because if one play loses yards, whether through penalty, a sack, etc, the whole drive stalls.

Could write a novel about the piss poor offensive showing last night, turned off TV after the Jones Int. (never do that)... but what really burns by butt is the neverending yakking of Collingsworth, his voice makes me not like the NFL any more.. along with his gentle ball washing of all things Miami.

The root cause is the ref's lives get impacted if/when they make a wrong call. Things like getting playoff games and promotions ($$$) depend on them getting calls right. Thus we don't get the intended "clear and obvious" standard, we get the JFK Zepruder film kind of review.

Personally I think there should be a time limit on reviews. That goes against the whole "don't you want the right call" crowd, but as we see we still don't get the call right.

To me a time limit would enforce the "clear and obvious" standard and also make the product more entertaining. People are still gonna be butt hurt and blame the refs regardless.

The problem is the refs have a union and they like how things are done. If you move too fast then they get pissed off and strike and we've see that's a win for them. Therefore we only slowly can make changes.

It has been like this since 2019 and only seems to get worse.

Dugger was ridiculous yesterday. Saved a TD with his reaction time to turn around after fake blitzing on third down, blew up a screen to Waddle that was perfectly bloked otherwise. Just those two plays massively impacted the score.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back