PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prisco rips BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is old news, but i stumbled on this from another site:

Ed: Tomlin Endorsed Belichick's Classless Move

The only reason I felt compelled to post it here (besides the hilarious comments from hopless Steeler fans) was my disappointment in seeing that Mike Reiss' opinion piece on Belichick was actually a contrived story where he apparently went table to table to GATHER opinion on the subject, not an opinion that was openly shared with him (as he tries to paint the story, and continues to defend going forward).

Now, I'm not mad at Mike for writing a negative piece on Belichick, more than I'm upset that he was dishonest in his take that it was public opinion that his peers were upset he wasn't present and not just a media backlash. When this story makes it seem that it was the media soliciting a negative opinion from coaches to use as a story.

Still like him as a journalist, but very disappointed in how disingenuous he's been on how the opinion piece was crafted.

Mike Tomlin's quote to Mike's agenda driven question was great though:

“I’m sure he’s not losing any sleep over the fact it’s bothering you,’’ Tomlin told Reiss.

I hope Belichick WAS saying FU to the media. Most of them deserve it... Especially Prisco!

I hope he gets face cancer and dies.

The only reason I felt compelled to post it here (besides the hilarious comments from hopless Steeler fans) was my disappointment in seeing that Mike Reiss' opinion piece on Belichick was actually a contrived story where he apparently went table to table to GATHER opinion on the subject, not an opinion that was openly shared with him (as he tries to paint the story, and continues to defend going forward).

Now, I'm not mad at Mike for writing a negative piece on Belichick, more than I'm upset that he was dishonest in his take that it was public opinion that his peers were upset he wasn't present and not just a media backlash. When this story makes it seem that it was the media soliciting a negative opinion from coaches to use as a story.

Still like him as a journalist, but very disappointed in how disingenuous he's been on how the opinion piece was crafted.

“I’m sure he’s not losing any sleep over the fact it’s bothering you,’’ Tomlin told Reiss.

It was a strange, uncharacteristic piece from Reiss. I wonder if he didn't think it was a good way to counter the rap that he's typically too easy on Belichick. Lame.

That link provides a decent example on how sports reporters shift public opinion. Reiss apparently had already formed an opinion, and went searching for quotes to become his evidence. Considering he's typically the least opinionated sports reporter I can think of, I can just imagine what other media members there were thinking.

Then you look at the article by the Pittsburgh writer. The headline uses the words "Belichick's classless move" and the column itself includes a phrase about Belichick "cheating the Steelers". I expect that type of thing to be written by a fan on a message board or on a blog, but by a professional journalist? Maybe newspapers have lost so much market share to amateur blogs and message boards that they now feel compelled to mimic them.

Aside from a fuzzy blurring of the line between reporting and an editorial opinion, it appears to be quite obvious to me that the people that were most upset were the reporters and not the other coaches.

That link provides a decent example on how sports reporters shift public opinion. Reiss apparently had already formed an opinion, and went searching for quotes to become his evidence. Considering he's typically the least opinionated sports reporter I can think of, I can just imagine what other media members there were thinking.

Then you look at the article by the Pittsburgh writer. The headline uses the words "Belichick's classless move" and the column itself includes a phrase about Belichick "cheating the Steelers". I expect that type of thing to be written by a fan on a message board or on a blog, but by a professional journalist? Maybe newspapers have lost so much market share to amateur blogs and message boards that they now feel compelled to mimic them.

Aside from a fuzzy blurring of the line between reporting and an editorial opinion, it appears to be quite obvious to me that the people that were most upset were the reporters and not the other coaches.

Ed Bouchette is an idiot and has a long history of stupid bias against the Patriots, but in fairness he doesn't choose the headline, the editor does.

Correct JMT57, that was the point I was trying to make by posting that.

I just wish Mike was up front about how it was the media that was upset, and holding a grudge about this, I would at least respect his candor, even if it shows the bias.

But don't try to drudge up public support for your position by MAKING the story a disrespect for his peers angle that THEY created.

I'm not doubting some of Belichick's peers were put off by his no show, but would they have even noticed if they weren't constantly reminded by the media? And to further that point, it sounds like Mike was asking the question and LEADING them to that answer, which is, like I said before, disingenuous to his audience.

Look I get it. He blew off a media event, the media is pissed. No problem. But don't try to drum up drama somewhere else because YOUR upset.

Unfortunately it's becoming easier to rip Belichick, Brady, et al., considering their recent playoff performances.... :mad:
Win a playoff game next year, and it'll shut up the mediots for awhile...

I really think ESPN is getting to Mike and making him do these things whether directly from his editors assigning him to do it or if it is just second hand from working for them he know starts to work like them. I dont think he did this stuff much with the local papers.

steeler fans are delusional, just like their players.

I really think ESPN is getting to Mike and making him do these things whether directly from his editors assigning him to do it or if it is just second hand from working for them he know starts to work like them. ..

Exactly! Lie down with dogs... (apology to my clean, flealess pooches)

That was an interesting read :rolleyes: . What I don't get is, I have met a TON of Steeler fans in my military career...the number of people from Pennsylvania I run into greatly exceeds the number of people from any other state (my theory is that PA is so crappy everyone wants out ;) ), and they are almost all Steeler fans. And they are an overwhelmingly positive fanbase; sure they'll make some anti Patriots comments in jest, but will quickly acknowledge their respect for the team even if they don't love the Brady/Belichick approach.

My point is, the message board after that Gazette editorial was some of the dumbest, crybaby comments I have ever seen. Are they just internet tough guys, or is that the attitude of the majority of Steeler fans and I am just not running into those types?

That was an interesting read :rolleyes: . What I don't get is, I have met a TON of Steeler fans in my military career...the number of people from Pennsylvania I run into greatly exceeds the number of people from any other state (my theory is that PA is so crappy everyone wants out ;) ), and they are almost all Steeler fans. And they are an overwhelmingly positive fanbase; sure they'll make some anti Patriots comments in jest, but will quickly acknowledge their respect for the team even if they don't love the Brady/Belichick approach.

My point is, the message board after that Gazette editorial was some of the dumbest, crybaby comments I have ever seen. Are they just internet tough guys, or is that the attitude of the majority of Steeler fans and I am just not running into those types?

For the local sports media here in Pittsburgh, "Spygate" is a bread and circuses thing. It keeps them in a frenzy. You should see how confused that certain portion of the fanbase becomes when you point out to them that BB was never in a position to tape before the 2001 AFCCG so "Spygate" is rather bogus.

Besides, why would the other coaches be mad if BB skipped a VOLUNTARY event for the sole purpose of irritating the press?

How many of these coaches really like these guys, anyway?

For the local sports media here in Pittsburgh, "Spygate" is a bread and circuses thing. It keeps them in a frenzy. You should see how confused that certain portion of the fanbase becomes when you point out to them that BB was never in a position to tape before the 2001 AFCCG so "Spygate" is rather bogus.

Besides, why would the other coaches be mad if BB skipped a VOLUNTARY event for the sole purpose of irritating the press?

How many of these coaches really like these guys, anyway?

Au contraire

I sincerely believe that BB did this primarily to irritate the piss outa Roger Goodell whom he hates with a passion as a suit who cares nothing for the NFL legacy. Irritating the press was a nice side benefit.

This whole arrogant thing is a bunch of baloney. It dates back to a morning whine by Dennis and Callahan when they could not find anything bad to say about BB so they dreamed up the arrogant moniker. Totally without basis in fact.

The reason he did not attend the media breakfast is ... well ... because of the media. The reason he says very little to them is because anything he says will be critiqued on every miniscule detail by the deluxe DB nozzles such as D & C or Felger or Borges. D & C spend most of their mornings picking apart what other say. BB is not going to play into their hands.

I applaud how he treats the press. Screw them; they are certainly out to screw him.

This whole arrogant thing is a bunch of baloney. It dates back to a morning whine by Dennis and Callahan when they could not find anything bad to say about BB so they dreamed up the arrogant moniker. Totally without basis in fact.

The reason he did not attend the media breakfast is ... well ... because of the media. The reason he says very little to them is because anything he says will be critiqued on every miniscule detail by the deluxe DB nozzles such as D & C or Felger or Borges. D & C spend most of their mornings picking apart what other say. BB is not going to play into their hands.

I applaud how he treats the press. Screw them; they are certainly out to screw him.

OK got it now...

D&C BAD
Felger now GOOD
Hard to keep up

If your company had a function that wasn't mandatory to attend, a function that's not necessarily something you would like to take personal time out off, but you and all your colleagues with the exception of one do attend because it reflects well on you as employees, how would you feel about that one colleague who skips it?

If your company had a function that wasn't mandatory to attend, a function that's not necessarily something you would like to take personal time out off, but you and all your colleagues with the exception of one do attend because it reflects well on you as employees, how would you feel about that one colleague who skips it?
I'd think it's going to help me out come annual review time when pay increases are decided, or when there's an opening for a promotion that the two of us are both applying for.

I don't mind the guy that pushes the envelope on when he arrives, his lunch hour, how quickly he leaves, or any other extra effort because he simply makes me look better. On the other hand if he gets away with it because he's my manager's weekend golf partner, or we work together and our team/department gets scrutinized and is paid bonuses collectively ... then I'm going to let him know in no uncertain terms how I feel.

...and so...the beating of the dead horse into a bloody pool with rivulets running into the gutter continues....stay tuned when next week our intrepid head coach fails to throw his raincoat over a puddle on the sidewalk for 89 year old Philomena Baggadonuts...who subsequently gets her FEET wet and sends Rex Ryan and throngs of bellowing Jets fans into a frenzy...

That he had the courage of his convictions? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case