PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Something to ponder about BB.

PancakeBlockPaul

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
This may fall under the conspiracy theory category which I am not a fan of but it's something I have thought about a bit lately. MODs etc feel free to delete away if this violates anything...or anyone...

I think we know what kind of man BB is. He left the Jets by writing on a napkin. In most circles this would fall under very immature, unprofessional, and especially ****ish. We know how the pressers are also. We take it as him being himself/blunt etc. So what if he has some sort of axe to grind with the Team aka HandyBob and Sons? What if he intentionally ran the team into the ground, knowing he would be leaving? Do we really think he is that stubborn/old/whatever you want to call it to the point he will not adapt not one iota to help the team?

Maybe the whole Brady thing pissed him off to the point of him wanting to say **** you to the Krafts since they are the ones "supposedly" that wanted to offer Brady a year-to-year and thus pushed the man away.

I honestly cannot say I believe he did all this on a whim thinking he could do it all. Especially the hiring of FattMatt and Judge. With that experience, you know what you can and cannot do. If he was just trying to rehab their standing in the league, he could have hired them on as something else. Assistants for ****s sake. That move tells me he's saying **** it and **** you.

And not to make excuses for Mac but he has also intentionally not provided the support he should have. BB being in the league for so long, someone of that nature would NOT make the same idiotic mistakes. He isn't that dumb. Maybe full of himself, but does hiring those dolts and not bringing in any additional real talent set Mac up for success? It is straight-up neglect if not malicious. Sure, if he wanted out, he would get out...but why do that when he can scuttle the existing team and look like ****, that way the next guy coming in has to deal with a world of **** and that way everyone, media especially, can say "Oh BB did such a good job and now they're terrible that he's gone.". All the while forgetting what was done the last 4+ years of his teams. I'll get off my soapbox now. Trust me, I am not one to find a conspiracy in everything but this just reeks of something other than BB being inept after so many years. Or I will say, maybe he was inept the whole time...I'm not a Jets fan but the way he left leaves me to think he could do worse things. And trust me I am an IBWT tool.

Sorry for the rant...and a doozy for a first post.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone btw.

I think Bill wanted to have success after Brady to prove the dynasty was more about him/the system. I don't believe any of this was intentional. The last thing Bill wanted was for his seasons post-Brady to be a clown show especially since Brady won the SB in Tampa.

He’s not doing this on purpose as his legacy has taken a major hit. The national media continues to pile on how Bill was carried by Tom.

Bill’s biggest mistake was not riding into the sunset with Tom so a conversation like this would be hypothetical.

Last edited:
This may fall under the conspiracy theory category which I am not a fan of but it's something I have thought about a bit lately. MODs etc feel free to delete away if this violates anything...or anyone...

I think we know what kind of man BB is. He left the Jets by writing on a napkin. In most circles this would fall under very immature, unprofessional, and especially ****ish. We know how the pressers are also. We take it as him being himself/blunt etc. So what if he has some sort of axe to grind with the Team aka HandyBob and Sons? What if he intentionally ran the team into the ground, knowing he would be leaving? Do we really think he is that stubborn/old/whatever you want to call it to the point he will not adapt not one iota to help the team?

Maybe the whole Brady thing pissed him off to the point of him wanting to say **** you to the Krafts since they are the ones "supposedly" that wanted to offer Brady a year-to-year and thus pushed the man away.

I honestly cannot say I believe he did all this on a whim thinking he could do it all. Especially the hiring of FattMatt and Judge. With that experience, you know what you can and cannot do. If he was just trying to rehab their standing in the league, he could have hired them on as something else. Assistants for ****s sake. That move tells me he's saying **** it and **** you.

And not to make excuses for Mac but he has also intentionally not provided the support he should have. BB being in the league for so long, someone of that nature would NOT make the same idiotic mistakes. He isn't that dumb. Maybe full of himself, but does hiring those dolts and not bringing in any additional real talent set Mac up for success? It is straight-up neglect if not malicious. Sure, if he wanted out, he would get out...but why do that when he can scuttle the existing team and look like ****, that way the next guy coming in has to deal with a world of **** and that way everyone, media especially, can say "Oh BB did such a good job and now they're terrible that he's gone.". All the while forgetting what was done the last 4+ years of his teams. I'll get off my soapbox now. Trust me, I am not one to find a conspiracy in everything but this just reeks of something other than BB being inept after so many years. Or I will say, maybe he was inept the whole time...I'm not a Jets fan but the way he left leaves me to think he could do worse things. And trust me I am an IBWT tool.

Sorry for the rant...and a doozy for a first post.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone btw.

So your theory is BB tanking his own win % while urinating on his legacy is deliberate?

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

To believe this you would have to believe that.

1. Bill treating Brady like just another guy wasn't part of the problem that pushed him away, which by all accounts it was.

2. That Bill intentionally put a huge black mark on his legacy of "is very mediocre to outright bad without Brady" on his resume before sailing off into the sunset.

3. That Bill who has a history of recyling his own assistant coaches was above doing that in this situation and it was purely a spite move.

There's way too much cope in this to believe that Bill just hasn't stunk up the joint and there is some ulterior motive.

I truly hope you are right. Ornery and crochety maybe...sabotage I dono if he's capable.

Far more likely than some nefarious scheme at hand is the simple egotistical belief that his coaching abilities could turn any group of 53 into contenders.

First of all, that is an excellent first post. Are you sure that you haven't been in these parts before? ;-)

Secondly, my take is that...Bill is still a football savant who lives for the grind. He is still enjoying the job 24/7. Sure, the results have been so so since 2018...no doubt about that. But there have been good parts before this team cratered. If anything, we probably should have cratered in 2019 and rebooted in 2020 completely like we are about to do now 4 years later, IMO.

Been saying it for years...and even BB says the same... Coaches only coach. Players PLAY. Nobody controls what happens on the field more than the players. It might be fair for one to argue that BB has not
done his job lately...which is to place players in places where their talent is most utilized OR that he hasn't drafted/traded for players who are significantly contributing to the product on the field. IMO, Belichick is trying his best as a GM and leaning towards an economical decision making paradigm (e.g. Drafting 3-4 solid starters vs. rolling the dice on a possible once-in-a-generation prospect. See his comments on Dimtrioff drafting Julio Jones.)

The Patriots just need playmakers/elite athletes...and BB is capable of taking them back to the promised land, IMO.

So your theory is BB tanking his own win % while urinating on his legacy is deliberate?

Pettier things have been done really. What's the saying "cut off your nose to spite your face"? It's just some thinking I've been doing and did not think it could be true. Just wanted to hear others thoughts. So, much appreciated! =D

Far more likely than some nefarious scheme at hand is the simple egotistical belief that his coaching abilities could turn any group of 53 into contenders.

Hey now....ego can be the factor some nefarious scheme is hatched. >=D But I think you are right. All of you. =)

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

Well, you are what your record says you are. If not deliberate, then it leads one to believe HE is the stupid one by not getting with the times and how things are done. Or senile. Your choice.

I think we know what kind of man BB is. He left the Jets by writing on a napkin. In most circles this would fall under very immature, unprofessional, and especially ****ish. We know how the pressers are also. We take it as him being himself/blunt etc.
Or maybe he’s on the spectrum. No agenda. He’s just neurodivergent. Or as some would prefer to call him a genius, a savant etc.

On the topic of if he’s doing this on purpose, that’s how we know how bad it’s gotten. The cracks have always been there. Difference is they were contained but now they’ve spread and the water is bursting through. This season has been so bad that we have to rationalize it in any way with whatever stories we possibly can. This can’t just be a terrible football team that couldn’t afford injuries being plagued by them…can it?

The premise is wrong. What he did to the Jets wasn't as immature as you interpreted it.

Belichick was offered the Raiders coaching job in 1999. He decided not to take it when the Jets told him it was a bad situation and that he'd be taking over for Parcells. So he stuck around in New Jersey, was given a huge raise on par with head coaches. When Parcells stepped down, Belichick decided to go with the Patriots instead. He was in no way obligated to take the Jets head coaching job. When Parcells left the Patriots, the Patriots actually tried to get Belichick to stay in 1997. News reporters camped out in front of Foxboro Stadium and saw that Belichick spent 4 hours talking to Kraft in a car in the parking lot. The plan to have him eventually coach the Patriots was hatched in that car. Why? Because Kraft saw what Belichick had done for the team when he was hired in 1996.

When Parcells found out Belichick's plans, he quickly elevated him to head coach. When Belichick was apprised of this, he immediately resigned on the spot. Within minutes.

If he wanted to sabotage the team to spite the Krafts, I would think he would have traded most of future draft picks for players in their prime, signed them to long term, back loaded extensions, claimed the all time wins total and try to add a SB or two without Brady, and retired just as the players left their primes and the big cap hits started to take effect.

Prior to the season, I was hopeful that the defense would be dominant and force a lot of turnovers and the offense could capitalize enough that they’d be very competitive. I don’t think he anticipated the many injuries on D and their lack of turnovers and the offense continuing to regress.

The premise is wrong. What he did to the Jets wasn't as immature as you interpreted it.

Belichick was offered the Raiders coaching job in 1999. He decided not to take it when the Jets told him it was a bad situation and that he'd be taking over for Parcells. So he stuck around in New Jersey, was given a huge raise on par with head coaches. When Parcells stepped down, Belichick decided to go with the Patriots instead. He was in no way obligated to take the Jets head coaching job. When Parcells left the Patriots, the Patriots actually tried to get Belichick to stay in 1997. News reporters camped out in front of Foxboro Stadium and saw that Belichick spent 4 hours talking to Kraft in a car in the parking lot. The plan to have him eventually coach the Patriots was hatched in that car. Why? Because Kraft saw what Belichick had done for the team when he was hired in 1996.

When Parcells found out Belichick's plans, he quickly elevated him to head coach. When Belichick was apprised of this, he immediately resigned on the spot. Within minutes.
From what I understand, Parcells would be BB's direct boss. Change in ownership somehow led to this. Where as originally, Bill was going to be in charge of mostly everything with the Jets. If Parcells had retired from everything to do with the Jets, not just Hc, and Hess was still the owner, I don't think he resigns. Jmo.

Kraft offered Bill the opportunity to be in charge. And Kraft would stay out of the way. The Patriots paid a big price. But it ultimately, along with Brady draft, led to Kraft's team being worth nearly 10 billion today. And a HOF spot for Kraft. Unbelievable legacy.

From what I understand, Parcells would be BB's direct boss. Change in ownership somehow led to this. Where as originally, Bill was going to be in charge of mostly everything with the Jets. If Parcells had retired from everything to do with the Jets, not just Hc, and Hess was still the owner, I don't think he resigns. Jmo.

Kraft offered Bill the opportunity to be in charge. And Kraft would stay out of the way. The Patriots paid a big price. But it ultimately, along with Brady draft, led to Kraft's team being worth nearly 10 billion today. And a HOF spot for Kraft. Unbelievable legacy.
I think he just really preferred Kraft and the Patriots.

He would have taken New Jersey if Carroll wasn't driving the team into the grave.

Awesome replies....much better than I thought this would come to. =D

There is no intention here. This absolute failure has to do with Bill just being an absolute failure as a GM the past 5-8 years.

Not drafting a pro bowl player in nearly a decade. Filling the roster with JAGS and never adjusting from his "cheap value" based system.

I think BB is the last one that would sabotage his own legacy, the issues is just that the past success built up an huge ego which doesn't allow to take the rigth decision. You think its you that will make mediocre players all pros, but without talent you cannot do much, I think he tries hard but also the changes in the game have impcated his possibility to have a bigger impact on the development of the players with reduced TC time and practices in general. So overall, he made a lot of bad draft choices plus the players did not develop as expected or up to their potential, leading to a very bad product in the end.

He probably also values position different than what the rest of the league does and in the end already under TB12 you could have seen that it was on the decline bcs of lack of talent, Brady looked poor on this team as well in the 2019 POs, its just a bad roster build with no real quality especially on the offensive side of the ball that leads to crappy football.

No one that is in the game does want intentionally to be fired or have a poor losing record, no one except for desperate fans and owner that want a high draft pick, but both in the end want to increase their chances of having generational talent and thus be relevant and successfull again, a GM or coach on the other hand is more likely to loose their job and want to avoid this bcs this high pick will be just a present for the next guy after you

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back