PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Going WAY outside the box on idea of how to handle BB situation (lacrosse?)[EDIT: Turns out BB Coaching Lacrosse has come up as recently as 2022....)

wheresmosi

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Okay, I am more and more of the opinion that IF (I know, I know, doubtful) they can get BB to not serve as GM, or at least let someone else take over offensive player selections, they should retain him as coach. I think it is more and more clear that the main problem is Jones, and whatever responsibility BB bears for that, there has been more than enough time for Jones to better than he is. That aside, IF there is a desire to move on from BB, the quesiton is, how to do it as elegantly as possible.
THis is definitely an "out there" trial balloon, but Robert Kraft has recently invested in bolstering the premier lacrosse league, and BB is known to love lacrosse, maybe even as much as football originally. He once said if he had not become a football coach, he would have likely wanted to coach lacrosse. Is there any way Kraft could somehow give BB a nice position, of whatever sort, in the league or on a team or whatever, that would allow him to take part in possibly being part of developing the profile of lacrosse, and thereby giving his legacy a new twist? Everyone would understand it was a way to land softly from losing the Pats job, but still, imagine if Tebow had succeeded in baseball, this certainly would have softened the critique of his pro football experience. BB will always be considered one of if not the greatest, but this would be a way to move on, in a way that was transparent but still allowed there to be an interesting twist to his legacy, especially if things really took off with the league. I am not sure what the role would be. While I doubt BB would be interesed in such a radical move, who knows, it might allow him to explore something he has always wished a little bit he could be more involved with.

Wow, I did not know about this, but interesting--apparently the idea has come up before:
If he had done that in, say, 2020, I don't think anyone would bat an eye. At this point, though, the reaction would be . . . let's say uncharitable.

If he had done that in, say, 2020, I don't think anyone would bat an eye. At this point, though, the reaction would be . . . let's say uncharitable.
It would be a transparent cheap fix, to be sure. It might look even more weak by attempting to downplay an insult by giving a false reward.

There is, however, another way to look at it. One could argue that obviously a firing is warranted, or at the very least could not be faulted. BUT that he deserves a chance to be handed something interesting and potentially future legacy building that other coaches fired would not get. Maybe we could comnbine things by letting BB remain coach, but convincing him to give up the GM stuff on the condition of getting some kind of lacrosse reward.

Nobody cares about Lacrosse except 16 year olds at private school.

I'm grateful for BB and all he has done, but running around with an inflatable mattress and placing it under every window he approaches isn't my thing. He's tough and CAN handle the truth...even if he doesn't agree with it. Kraft will have to make a decision and unpopular or not, that'll be that. Hell, BB may decide this **** is no longer what he signed up for and flip the world off while he baits a hook.

Nonsense. It's very popular in somewhat scattered areas across the country. Many footballers play it as their off-season sport, I believe. It's a great game to watch. It's baffling it is not more popular. I lived in central New York for a while: wrestling and lacrosse were the two biggest sports for the male high schoolers. This was in a farm community, not a preppy to be found there. Football was popular as well. but there was significantly more enthusiasm for the other two sports I have mentioned. I have worked in a private school. The biggies there: soccer and. - heaven help us - crew. The team had their own boathouse on a major river, and bunch of shells, all the way up to eights. They held their pinkies extended upwards as they rowed.

Last edited:
Bill is an utter failure as GM, obviously, and I think there is increasingly reason to think he has declined as a HC as well. Would anyone in their right mind claim this is a "well-coached team" over the past couple years or more? Surely not. I hope it can be done in a manner that takes cognizance of Bill's feelings and of the debt we owe him, but he has to go. We need to stop ****yfooting around this, so that we can efficently move on to rebuilding the team with a new GM in place and hopefully a HC who can get this team competitive in the current iteration of NFL football.

Bill is an utter failure as GM, obviously, and I think there is increasingly reason to think he has declined as a HC as well. Would anyone in their right mind claim this is a "well-coached team" over the past couple years or more? Surely not. I hope it can be done in a manner that takes cognizance of Bill's feelings and of the debt we owe him, but he has to go. We need to stop ****yfooting around this, so that we can efficently move on to rebuilding the team with a new GM in place and hopefully a HC who can get this team competitive in the current iteration of NFL football.
Absolutely agreed. His HC I'd unquestionably legendary. It's the other hat he wears and asked for. All teams have hits and misses that's why it's called a draft lottery. The hits are great .... but the misses set back an organization. Like many other franchises have experienced. We missed on Mac. I believe NE isn't for him. BBs coaching style isn't for everyone. I doubt BB chooses to stay around without having control as he does now. This team is ravaged with injuries, poor play at the skill positions, bad contracts, inconsistent play at the O line.. the most salvageable part of the team is on defense.

I doubt lacrosse would give him 25 million a season..
I guess it would be sort of a retirement gig/hobby for him. He sure doesn't actually need the dough. I am retired, and though I generally enjoy retirement, it is hard at times to replace your work with other activities, and it is essential to your sense of self and to retaining your congnitive acuity and enthusiasm for life that you get an alternative in place. My old man retired, gloried and gloated over having to do nothing whatever, and died a year later in his early 70's: happens all the time. My mother stayed connected to life and died last summer at 102. I keep my hand in by teaching adult ed stuff - writing mostly - at a local college. I guess you'll have to judge whether my cognitive acuity is up to snuff as a result.

I guess it would be sort of retirement gig/hobby for him. He sure doesn't actually need the dough. I am retired, and though I generally enjoy retirement, it is hard at times to replace your work with other activities, and it is essential to your sense of self and to retaining your congnitive acuity and enthusiasm for life that you get alternative in place. My old man retired, gloried and gloated over having to do nothing whatever, and died a year later: happens all the time. My mother stayed connected to life and died last summer at 102. I keep my hand in by teaching adult ed stuff - writing mostly - at a local college.

God bless your mother for her long life. Congratulations on you being retired. As of literally 15 to 17 years away for even looking at retirement LOL.. yeah as for BB seems as if his hobbies get In the way with his real life job. As hiring Mike pelligrino as DB coach with no defensive back pedigree. He's a former lacrosse player. When you have held so much power and autonomy as BB has had you feel as though you can keep the car out past curfew and dad won't say anything...

I used that in relation how RK has allowed BB to run his organization.

It’s one of the fastest growing youth sports in the US and has exploded in places like Mn, CO, AZ and CA, to name a few. Men’s and Women’s programs at D1, D2 and D3 have seen a combined add of over 500 programs in the past 15 years and it will be in the 2028 Olympics. And, most hockey programs recommend participating in lacrosse as a second sport.

So, clearly, more than 16 year olds care about the sport.

Nonsense. It's very popular in somewhat scattered areas across the country. Many footballers play it as their off-season sport, I believe. It's a great game to watch. It's baffling it is not more popular. I lived in central New York for a while: wrestling and lacrosse were the two biggest sports for the male high schoolers. This was in a farm community, not a preppy to be found there. Football was popular as well. but there was significantly more enthusiasm for the other two sports I have mentioned. I have worked in a private school. The biggies there: soccer and. - heaven help us - crew. The team had their own boathouse on a major river, and bunch of shells, all the way up to eights. They held their pinkies extended upwards as they rowed.
Right about upstate New York--remember Jim Brown at Syracuse! :)

Right about upstate New York--remember Jim Brown at Syracuse! :)
I do, actually. I even remember when Syracuse won the Lambert Cup (later the "Lambert-Meadowlands Trophy"), emblematic of being the best college team in the East. Syracuse won it often. Dartmouth College (an Ivy, of all things) and Syracuse were often in competition for it with one another for it. I was at Dartmouth in 1965, one of the years Dartmouth won it. It was, or seemed like, a big deal at the time. Now the award is defunct, and both Dartmouth and Syracuse are sunken in relative athletic obscurity. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Jim Brown was Syracuse '57, slightly (but not all THAT slightly, alas) before my time.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back