PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prisco rips BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
One is confidence in a person's ability to perform his job while the other is a wish that isn't going to come true.

Actually, press conferences are one aspect of Belichick's job where he generally doesn't perform particularly well. As he's demonstrated on many occasions in more relaxed situations, this does not need to be the case.

Last edited:
A lot of the "crap" questions are of the sort that have to be asked. Furthermore, over time, the media tailors its questions to things they think might actually get answers.

Parcells, whom you mention, was a head coach of this team during a Super Bowl season. He was generally more forthcoming with his answers, and the world didn't come to an end.

The questions are crap. They're closed questions designed to generate specific soundbites to add colour to stories that are pretty much already written. It's similar to a lawyer questioning a witness in court. Technically he's asking questions, but they're obviously leading to a direction the lawyer has pre-determined. As for the media tailoring questions to avoid getting ignored, I don't think that sounds like something a good reporter would do.

Parcells was a much different coach. I'm not saying BB's way is the best way, but I wouldn't want him to imitate anyone else, and it's clearly a part of him. I don't think it would make his life, or our team, any better if he opened up to the media more so I am okay with it.

Mike Reiss didn't like Belichick not being there for breakfast either.

Bill Belichick's absence from coaches breakfast at NFL meetings was insult to his peers - espnBoston

Bruce Allen from BostonSportMediaWatch and Patriots Daily has an eloquent response to Reiss with comment #9.

I think Brucie is on target..."If Belichick is snubbing someone, I suspect it might be the league, and specifically Roger Goodell. It's my opinion that there is a ton of behind-the-scenes animosity there, both from how things were handled in 2007, to Goodell's comments to Peter King prior to this year's Super Bowl. Belichick seems like he doesn't want to do a single thing he isn't required to do in these situations, and this was an example. He came down and talked later. On his own schedule."

I think there's LOTS of animosity from BB towards Goodell. I don't blame Bill a bit.

neither do I and if so, my respect for Bill has just taken another quantum leap...this fumbling, bumbling,empty headed cat's paw deserves nothing but derision from the Patriots,BB and fans of the team. Until he's removed and sinks into obscurity,as he deserves,I will never be satisfied.

Bravo, Gentlemen.

I, for one, am pretty much full of BB's nearly compulsive resistance to any meaningful comments. What secrets are there to give away - everybody in this league knows everybody else inside and out. Now, keeping mum on a specific game plan, sure that makes sense. But BB's "I did, I'll do what's best for the team" routine is bothersome.

I'm a fan all year. And yes I'd like to hear what the coach is really thinking at least once in a while. The part that makes me mad is that BB isn't some kind of nervous savant that can only deal with coaching, coaching , coaching, or else end up in a nursing home because he tried to be polite to reporters. BB knows exactly what he's doing all the time, he 's decided to be purposefully aloof and detached when dealing with the media 99% of the time.

It bugs me because BB must also realize that by dissing reporters he's also dissing fans to some degree. Like it or not, part of being a NFL HC is handling the press, and the press is there because millions of people are reading their stuff not because reporters like to get a good chuckle by asking Bill questions they know he won't answer.

(And don't give me the -hey winning is all that's matters - reply because they haven't won a SB in 6 years and they're 5-5 in playoff games since then, and 0-3 in their last 3 post season games). But I love BB as much as any Patriots fan out there, and that, more than any reason, is why he ought to give in a little and talk to us.

switch to being a Jets fan...problem solved

NICE!!
jester.gif

I respect your opinion, but I certainly don't agree with it.

First off, I HATE when people say the press is an extension of the fans. It's not true, they are for themselves. You play by there rules and you by in large get favorable coverage. If you don't? Well, then they use their position to turn public sentiment against you. Selective journalism.

Allot of these "professionals" spend plenty of time building relationships, but if the moment calls for it, they will twist the knife in your back in the name of advancing a story. So, cry me a river with that BB be nice to the media garbage. In my opinion he treats them with the type of contempt they should be treated with.

Now, your last point, I don't respect your opinion. Very elitist fan attitude. The truth for those who have perspective would be very proud of the fact that our team is in CONSTANT contention. Despite not only a roster overhaul, but also a coaching, scouting, and front office overhaul as well. All this would cripple most organizations, while we just keep trucking along as the envy of the NFL. And in case your not paying attention, the future looks very, very bright.

But by all means, poo poo the minor bumps in the road now. In 10 years we could easily slip back to mediocrity, and I'll think back on these years as a fan very fondly, while feeling sorry for guys like you.

That entire post was magnificent!! :rocker:

People are losing their minds over a guy sleeping in.

It's only a matter of time before it becomes snoozegate or alarmgate. What exactly does Prisco want?

The commissioner to step in and investigate and take away a 1st round pick for nothing? Like that would ever hap...oh...

Go work on the CBA Goodell. Stay far, far away you mother****ing ****sucker.

I feel honor-bound to divulge: I actually LOL'd at that one!!
jester.gif

I wasn't necessarily just talking about the last few days, I mean in general.

And, fine, we can agree to disagree. Many of you are OK with how BB handles the 'press' - I'd like a little more meat. And it's because I'm slightly obsessed with all things Patriots that BB's silent treatment leaves me wanting to begin with. I like reading articles about the Pats, the more the merrier, and if they'd include a few more gems from the lips of BB that would only make my reading more enjoyable.

He wasn't signed to make your reading more enjoyable except as a ancillary benefit of building a organization with a .716 regular season winning percentage spanning over a decade and a .737 post season winning percentage including 4 trips to the SB and 3 rings.

If something else floats your boat, you're probably better served rooting for a team whose HC is better suited to flapping his lips about winning than actually winning anything.

NICE!!
jester.gif

BBB, your position is well stated, and all, and I respect that...

But Coach Bill is clearly paid to coach, not to entertain you.

And, as Brother Mo put it, he is WITHOUT PEER in that regard.

Rooting for this team is privilege without equal.

Do I wish Coach Bill came over my house 3 nights a week to have a brew or two and enlighten me about all the finer points of this Great Game, and his Vision for the Patriots' future??

Sure.

That'd be swell.

But considering that anything with "meat" ~ as you put it ~ that he divulges about his coaching philosophy, his opinions of players, et cetera, is detrimental to our competitive advantage...and considering that all the rich, seething CONTEMPT that the posters in this thread have expressed for both the writing "profession" and for the vile, despicable, gutless, FILTH that is Roger Goodell is ~ without exception ~ completely JUSTIFIED...I find your decision to complain about Coach Bill's wholey justifiable and rather amusing decision to blow those chumps off...UNFATHOMABLE.

Dear Jet fan,

In case you missed it Belichick said what he thought about the proposed rule change about kick offs. I guess you missed the "once in a while" opening up. Here it is: New England Patriots: Bill Belichick Discusses New Kickoff Rule | Bleacher Report
That is one of several. Of course you missed this "once in a while" despite all the reporters pictured because it did not fit with what you already decided.

Let me fill you in on his real answers to the most pertinent questions:

Q: Will you trade up or down in the draft?
A: We will explore all options as the draft happens.

Q: Do you think the Patriots will go back to the Super Bowl this year?
A: Yes, but so do 31 other coaches about their own teams.

Q: How many ways can I ask variations of these questions?
A: As many as you like, but I'd rather be trimming my nails than wasting my time repeating myself so you can write 500 columns on the same thing.

I'm sorry his not wanting to answer the same question over and over again for your amusement flusters you.

It must be the off season. "Belichick eats puppies and drinks unicorn blood" is news.

Second LOL of this thread!! I LOVE this thread!!
jester.gif

Actually, press conferences are one aspect of Belichick's job where he generally doesn't perform particularly well. As he's demonstrated on many occasions in more relaxed situations, this does not need to be the case.

Firstly, nobody says "In Bill we trust" with regards to his press conferences.

Next, it does not need to be the case but it is.

Jeez, a guy wants to sleep in with 3 hookers and 7 grams of smack now and then and he gets villified. Relax people.

My point was inarguable. History has shown it, time and again. You concede the point even in your assertion otherwise:
I did not concede anything because you are saying he could be much more forth coming and I stated Sure I would guess there are somethings he could tell us that wouldnt effect anything but I dont think he could be much more forth coming and if you think he could be much more forth coming please give examples of what you would like him to talk about.

Your point is only inarguable that he could be more forth coming sure anyone could The President could have told the public the details of missions overseas but at what cost.

Converted pats fan gave some examples:

I want to know his thoughts on the Seymour deal looking back
- I would like to know his thoughts on this too but dont you think that if told us his thinking on trades it might have an effect on his next trade as other coaches would gain insight into his thoughts on a trade.

or what he really thinks of Roger Goodell
- I would imagine he could get in trouble for telling us what he really thinks.

or who the worst CB in the league is
- I would rather him not say who it is and just have Brady quitely pick on him all day when they play him.

or the players he hated the most
- Yup because nothing says come play for me like blasting former players that he coached

or what he really thinks of Parcells
- This one I think he has actually talked about many times and whether you chose to believe its "what he really thinks" is up to you.

Last edited:
He wouldn’t feed that breakfast to his damn dogs.

Lol:p

He could be more forthcoming and Irina Shayk could show up at my house naked tonight and tell me she loves me but I doubt either happens.

I did not concede anything because you are saying he could be much more forth coming and I stated Sure I would guess there are somethings he could tell us that wouldnt effect anything but I dont think he could be much more forth coming and if you think he could be much more forth coming please give examples of what you would like him to talk about.

Your point is only inarguable that he could be more forth coming sure anyone could The President could have told the public the details of missions overseas but at what cost.

Again, history has shown your claim to be wrong. Hell, again, recent history (Jets v. Patriots) has shown your claim to be wrong.

Firstly, nobody says "In Bill we trust" with regards to his press conferences.

Actually, if you even read this thread, it's been said in different words, with someone referring to the Super Bowls and the like as the justification for buying into it.

Next, it does not need to be the case but it is.

This I agree with.

Again, history has shown your claim to be wrong. Hell, again, recent history (Jets v. Patriots) has shown your claim to be wrong.

Not sure exactly what your point is in bringing a Jets V. Patriots match up into the discussion.

Is it that Rex talks alot and BB doesnt?

Because that is a pretty lame argument that can easily be debunked by the fact that Ryan has not won a SB as a HC and one could argue that maybe something said in a press conference could have had an impact be it a small piece of strategy Rex may have divulged or just a motivator.

Example being Mike Tomlins post game speech to his team after they beat the Jets. Where he said something to the effect of next time they play us it will be personal.
Something that was obviously directed at the comments made by the Jets about the games vs Pats and Colts being personal and then not saying the same about the Steelers before their game.

These sorts of things that are said may or may not have a huge effect on the games. But bottom line is the more you say the more chances you have at divulging strategy and giving the opponents motivation. You cant argue that by BB saying less that he is less likely to give somthing to an opponent that will be used against him.

You can point to as much history of people talking much more than BB and had success but that doesnt mean that they couldnt have been more successful if they shut up and it certainly doesnt discredit that You cant argue that by BB saying less that he is less likely to give somthing to an opponent that will be used against him.

Not sure exactly what your point is in bringing a Jets V. Patriots match up into the discussion.

Is it that Rex talks alot and BB doesnt?

Because that is a pretty lame argument that can easily be debunked by the fact that Ryan has not won a SB as a HC and one could argue that maybe something said in a press conference could have had an impact be it a small piece of strategy Rex may have divulged or just a motivator.

No, it really isn't a lame argument, and it really can't be debunked, given that Rex has taken his team deeper into the playoffs both of his seasons as the Jets head coach.

And your argument about the other people is ridiculous. One could use the exact same argument with regards to Belichick, merely by flipping your "could have won more with less talking" to "could have won more with more talking" and be just as reasonable.

As a matter of fact, one could point to BB's handling of the spying issues during SB week as an example of when more talk might well have been a positive for his team. Whether it's the case or not, it's certainly an argument that could be fairly made.

Last edited:
No, it really isn't a lame argument, and it really can't be debunked, given that Rex has taken his team deeper into the playoffs both of his seasons as the Jets head coach.

The Fact the Jets beat the patriots has no credence to this debate because it is one game.

Sure he went deeper the last 2 years again small sample but he didnt win the SB so how does that prove his approach is better than a man who has won 3 and been to another using his approach?

And I like how you ignored the Tomlin quote where he used something Rex said against the Jets.

Couple things:

--On this breakfast, has anyone provided context? Meaning, does every coach go every year? Do they hold this thing every year? Has Belichick gone before? I saw Reiss wrote about it, which seemed strange. It's so trivial.

--On Belichick's demeanor in press conferences, it's clearly been pretty effective. It gives potentially negative stories no oxygen, and generally gets the team on the same page. He has on occasion broken from his typical M.O., but not often. He probably could sometimes to his benefit, but on balance, his way has been effective.

I think you could argue the Jet's relative success in the playoffs the past couple years has been in spite of Ryan's talk, rather then because of it (or it's at least neutral.) It's definitely doubtful his approach will last as long as Belichick's has.

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, one could point to BB's handling of the spying issues during SB week as an example of when more talk might well have been a positive for his team. Whether it's the case or not, it's certainly an argument that could be fairly made.

I dont think there is much he really could have said as I doubt he had many facts about it. Not sure what he was supposed to say on the subject considering it was an article about an alledged tape that turned out to be BS.

Ahhh, never mind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes