PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick wanted Jakobi. Was convinced out of it by the new guys picking players

I agree on Daniels. I really wouldn't mind just taking Harrison this year or trading up if you really believe in someone else.
It appears to me, that we are in the same position that we were in the year we took Mac. We took him because we were deficient at QB. I have no problem taking a QB in the 1st round (even in the top 3), but to take one that won't have a legit chance to be a franchise QB would be no better than when we took Mac. It would be even worse, as we would be taking one much higher in the draft. Unless that QB can legitimately be "The Guy", it would be better to take a "Blue Chipper" at WR or LT (as we have needs for both). A QB can be had in the next draft or two (as we'll probably be drafting high for the next 2 seasons).

What was your stance on this when it happened? I know a lot of us on here were questioning it but were told by the “in Bill we trust” crowd we didn’t know what we were talking about.
I was against taking Juju over Jakobi. I laid out why. I went back to that thread from March a month ago and my posts showed I was against it. Very few were. I wasn't as against it as Jlboot who correctly assessed the problem, because I allowed there may be an improvement in YAC.

I'm reading that thread right now and it's a howl. Some of the biggest anti-Belichick posters here were not only wildly in favor of jettisoning Meyers and signing JuJu, but they were claiming that it was a move that came from B'oB and the personnel people. They said BB would not go for a guy like JuJu over Meyers, he doesn't like flashy guys like that,

How right they were!!!! Hypocritical, but right!!!!

Last edited:
hasn't been that way in 24 years now people think that is the case?
If Groh and/or Wolf were not personally on-board with the Cole Strange/Tyquan Thornton fiasco, but had to go along with it because BB rejected their recommendations and they had to stand behind BB, then that's one thing. But if they were totally on-board and recommended the aforementioned Strange/Thornton fiasco etc., then that concerns me that they're still going to be overseeing the draft/personnel matters.

Belichick is to blame for the inability to build a competent offense, as Howe puts it.

But I'd say it's not for lack of trying. 16 picks on offense since this draft in the article, 11 on defense. A bunch of FA WRs (4) signed to decent contracts. 3 TEs to decent-sized contracts. 6 picks on the interior OL.

And it wasn't a competent offense. Because of the OCs. Because of the players themselves (though Jonnu is doing just fine elsewhere). Because of the QB. Whatever.

The concern is how do we build a competent offense while throwing all these resources at building it (there have been a lot of resources expended).

This is more of a draft question, but I truly doubt LSU'd Daniels is going to succeed in the NFL, but we may have this same ("QB is the face of the franchise mentality") and we may take him with our #3 pick (which will be disastrous, IMO).
I was liking Daniels at first. But lost my zest for him
Taking a harder look at Maye. If we even have a chance at him
Do not like any of the other QB’s in the 1st round
Take MHJ if available or LT with a small trade down
Im trending more to the LT (Alt). You know you will have him 10 plus years
We cannot bust here at 3

We know the Krafts and possibly Mayo leaked information as a trial ballon
This is a house of cards. they will have the longest fall
I must admit that I'm getting some Rod Rust Era vibes about what the next season or two might be. I really do hope that I'm wrong.

I must admit that I'm getting some Rod Rust Era vibes about what the next season or two might be. I really do hope that I'm wrong.
Funny you say that
A few weeks ago I was commenting with Tunescribe and mentioned the same thing.
I hope not but the scars from the past that only some of us witnessed run deep

I agree the Krafts were in the wrong passive-aggressively meddling with the your Great Leader’s efforts. Instead, they should have fired their success and power drunk Frankenstein years ago.

It has been a very good week! Post all the rants you want about the Krafts and all the other traitors to your Glorious Leader. Rehash it every day for the rest of your lives, but Ding Dong Bill is gone, and he’s not coming back.

I really hope I’m wrong in thinking the Krafts are getting rid of Bill so they can play GM.
I don’t think they want to play GM I think they want the people they are paying to draft and scout to play GM and not have someone who is overruling them and getting in the way:

This is a classic case of the manager got in the way of the workers doing their job and the owner had to fire the manager or decide everyone else was just crap

If Groh and/or Wolf were not personally on-board with the Cole Strange/Tyquan Thornton fiasco, but had to go along with it because BB rejected their recommendations and they had to stand behind BB, then that's one thing. But if they were totally on-board and recommended the aforementioned Strange/Thornton fiasco etc., then that concerns me that they're still going to be overseeing the draft/personnel matters.
I don't think that's the case. Way too many rumors fueled by agendas out there now.

I don't think that's the case. Way too many rumors fueled by agendas out there now.
I hope that you're right. As with most things, only time will tell fact from fiction, reality from speculation.

That draft was very unbelichick-like compared to all of his drafting history.

We cannot bust here at 3
Caleb Williams is going to be a star in this league, but I'd settle for Maye

We cannot bust here at 3
I do not think you can trade down to get Alt. If you want him, probably have to take him at 3.

Last edited:
Caleb Williams is a bit of a risk no doubt, because of his personality.
However he has unique talents unlike any other qb in the draft.
I think he is a boom/bust type of player, nothing in between.
If he pans out, he could be great...like top 5 great.

That inept drafting over a quarter century won 6 Super Bowls and 17 division titles. But ok.
Right, the most success ever was apparently ineptitude to the fellowship of the miserable.

Caleb Williams is a bit of a risk no doubt, because of his personality.
However he has unique talents unlike any other qb in the draft.
I think he is a boom/bust type of player, nothing in between.
If he pans out, he could be great...like top 5 great.
Caleb is someone that is either going to bust and everyone will say it was obvious and can't believe people fell for it or he's going to be a stud and everyone will say that everyone overthought it like with Lamar.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back