PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick wanted Jakobi. Was convinced out of it by the new guys picking players

For years we’ve been told Bill was the GM and decision maker. And Kraft stayed out of it.

Now that it’s been a disaster it never was him? It was all Kraft?
No one said it was all Kraft.

Kraft came out publically in 2020 and said they were going to rely more on scouting/personnel office in draft decisions.

I was against taking Juju over Jakobi. I laid out why. I went back to that thread from March a month ago and my posts showed I was against it. Very few were. I wasn't as against it as Jlboot who correctly assessed the problem, because I allowed there may be an improvement in YAC.

I'm reading that thread right now and it's a howl. Some of the biggest anti-Belichick posters here were not only wildly in favor of jettisoning Meyers and signing JuJu, but they were claiming that it was a move that came from B'oB and the personnel people. They said BB would not go for a guy like JuJu over Meyers, he doesn't like flashy guys like that,

How right they were!!!! Hypocritical, but right!!!!
Lol are you surprised? None will ever own up or admit it though.

When it’s potentially positive ‘can’t be BB’
When it’s confirmed negative ‘must’ve been BB’

Clowns.

What was your stance on this when it happened? I know a lot of us on here were questioning it but were told by the “in Bill we trust” crowd we didn’t know what we were talking about.
What was your stance, by the way?

BB was paid handsomely to take accountability. He probably had to sign something saying he'd continue to do just that in order to receive his 2024 salary.
BBs gone now. Let's see what Mayo has to deal with huh?
Belichick doesn’t have to agree to anything to get 2024 salary, he was under a contract and like every other nfl hc contract it was guaranteed.

Belichick is to blame for the inability to build a competent offense, as Howe puts it.

But I'd say it's not for lack of trying. 16 picks on offense since this draft in the article, 11 on defense. A bunch of FA WRs (4) signed to decent contracts. 3 TEs to decent-sized contracts. 6 picks on the interior OL.

And it wasn't a competent offense. Because of the OCs. Because of the players themselves (though Jonnu is doing just fine elsewhere). Because of the QB. Whatever.

The concern is how do we build a competent offense while throwing all these resources at building it (there have been a lot of resources expended).

This is more of a draft question, but I truly doubt LSU'd Daniels is going to succeed in the NFL, but we may have this same ("QB is the face of the franchise mentality") and we may take him with our #3 pick (which will be disastrous, IMO).
Talent evaluation is a concern and needs to be addressed this off-season

Btw I think this articles popping up now must be written by Andy

Let’s keep a running tally of the reports:

Bill’s Decisions
-Every decision that worked

Patriots Org Decisions Overruling Bill
-Every decision that didn’t work

Talent evaluation is a concern and needs to be addressed this off-season

Btw I think this articles popping up now must be written by Andy
Ironically your comment essentially says I have been correct all along and the proof is rolling in

Say Belichick did have inside info from Saban that was a red flag that he didn’t want Jones and then he gave into his staff because they really liked him, that is damning to Belichick. If he knew there was a major red flag and he had final say, but he deferred to his staff in the sake of being more collaborative, that is an asinine move. My guess that isn’t the case.

If Belichick did not want Jones, my guess is he felt that there wasn’t much difference between the first round QBs and Davis Mills and he didn’t want to spend a high pick on a QB.

I just don’t think he believes in drafting a QB in the first round. He got Brady in the sixth. He got Garoppolo in the second. Cassel was undrafted. He believes he can win a Super Bowl with a top 10-15 QB according to past coaches who worked with him.

But Belichick cannot go 2 1/2 decades of having final say on personnel decisions and then try to blame others on the team’s bad choices at the end of the run. This all seems like him and his side trying to deflect blame from himself.

Next thing we will hear is Riley Reif was Kraft‘s idea even though Reif and Belichick share an agent and no one wanted Reif because he was done.

When Brady left, there were rumors leaked to the press that Belichick didn’t want Sanu and Belichick traded for him because Brady wanted him.

Ironically your comment essentially says I have been correct all along and the proof is rolling in
you think they are all true?

View attachment 55899

The point of posting this isn't so much to rehash what could've been when Belichick is gone. After all, the buck stops with Belichick. He was the one who made the final decision. It's more to look at the future. We now have a new wave of analytic people running the team, and they will look at JuJu's superior numbers. Meyers was a prototypical Belichick WR: not fast, but he excelled at finding space, and he put his body on the line. Tough guy.

(By the way: Is it absolutely known that Belichick was the one watching Baylor games on tape 3 years ago?)
If this is true then the entire front office should also be cleaned out. What's the point of keeping Wolf/Groh if they are making awful recommendations like JJ Schuster-Smith?

Let’s keep a running tally of the reports:

Bill’s Decisions
-Every decision that worked

Patriots Org Decisions Overruling Bill
-Every decision that didn’t work
To me, honestly, this reeks of ownership trying to paint the BB coaching staff as more dysfunctional that it really was

We all know that BB, in the last 5 years or so, has been terrible. Now they are just kicking a dead fired horse

Say Belichick did have inside info from Saban that was a red flag that he didn’t want Jones and then he gave into his staff because they really liked him, that is damning to Belichick. If he knew there was a major red flag and he had final say, but he deferred to his staff in the sake of being more collaborative, that is an asinine move. My guess that isn’t the case.

If Belichick did not want Jones, my guess is he felt that there wasn’t much difference between the first round QBs and Davis Mills and he didn’t want to spend a high pick on a QB.

I just don’t think he believes in drafting a QB in the first round. He got Brady in the sixth. He got Garoppolo in the second. Cassel was undrafted. He believes he can win a Super Bowl with a top 10-15 QB according to past coaches who worked with him.

But Belichick cannot go 2 1/2 decades of having final say on personnel decisions and then try to blame others on the team’s bad choices at the end of the run. This all seems like him and his side trying to deflect blame from himself.

Next thing we will hear is Riley Reif was Kraft‘s idea even though Reif and Belichick share an agent and no one wanted Reif because he was done.

When Brady left, there were rumors leaked to the press that Belichick didn’t want Sanu and Belichick traded for him because Brady wanted him.
Prior to that draft Robert Kraft publicly said “we need to change how we do this”.
We don’t know what change Kraft demanded.

For years we’ve been told Bill was the GM and decision maker. And Kraft stayed out of it.

Now that it’s been a disaster it never was him? It was all Kraft?

This not true. We have not been told BB was the GM and decision maker by anyone who knows anything.

It is PatsFans posters that keep saying this even though Kraft keeps saying otherwise. If we can not believe what Kraft says publicly, what can we believe? Kraft has always said that BB did not originally have complete decision making until about 2005/6 and has not had final say since 2020. But the BB Bashers keep saying it was all BB's decisions and all BB's fault.

So at this point BB didn't want

Mac Jones
Sanu
Smith-Schuster

So basically BB was forced into every GM blunder he made in the last 5 years pretty much?

No just the personnel decisions since 2020 when R Kraft said the personnel decisions were not going to be made solely by BB anymore. You do not believe R Kraft when he makes a public statement, or you chose to ignore the statements that do not support your BB hate?

To be clear, I'm not excusing anyone, but neither do I think this team is nearly as bad as many here believe. Everything that could go wrong this year, went wrong, starting with an offensive line that lost the coach a month in and didn't have the starters (after two of the hoped=for starters were lost for the year) out there until a couple of months in, and only sporadically thereafter. Couple that with Mac melting and Zappe being less that serviceable, and can you really be surprised by the outcome.

They've got a few holes to fill, but this team can turn around fast - the defense is right there without an addition next year.

But, and I'll say it again, drafting for the future and drafting to find pieces for the present aren't the same thing, including trading away picks to try to fill a thick roster with vets who can make immediate impact. We saw it over and over again 14-19.
Win-now mode and build-mode are two different things. Still doesn't mean I like the drafting. I don't and didn't. I said "okay" when I read about Harry but was shocked it wasn't Deebo or AJ - heck, when I read the new report of how those two were joking around and traveling together, they should have taken one and traded up to get the other one, too!

But saying picking last in a round ISN'T and excuse. It's simple truth. A player coming out with great production in an A program and an expectation of can't miss doesn't last until 28, let alone 32. The Bucs had something like four stars picked in the top 10 when Brady got there. It matters. It absolutely matters. The % of players who ever become something special drops precipitously when you get into the last part of the first and thereafter.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back