PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran is the Mouthpiece

It's just not enough. At 11, you're not getting Alt or the stud 3 WRs. At 23, you're effectively getting a 2nd round value. It's cheap.

The Dolphins when they traded with San Fran traded back up to #6 to get Waddle. So if they want to they can still move up.

Hell, if they think JJ McCarthy is as good or better than the QB at #3 (for example), they could trade with Minnesota and get three firsts and maybe more and then use the two firsts from this year to trade back up to get McCarthy and get the QB they want while picking up a first round pick in 2025 and possibly more. Or maybe McCarthy falls to 11 or at least low enough that they don't have to use the 23rd pick to move up.

Three number ones gives the Pats enough ammunition to get potentially 2-3 All Pros. The 23rd pick may be enough to trade with another team that has a top WR in the last year of their deal to make a trade. If the 49ers are able to re-sign Aiyuk or maybe Devonte Smith in Philly. Who knows?

If the Pats absolutely believe Maye or Daniels (which ever drops) is most likely be an elite QB, don't trade the pick. If they have doubts, take the boatload of picks in the trade. They will definitely cash in with picks if they do. But it all depends on how they view the top QBs.

The Dolphins when they traded with San Fran traded back up to #6 to get Waddle. So if they want to they can still move up.

Hell, if they think JJ McCarthy is as good or better than the QB at #3 (for example), they could trade with Minnesota and get three firsts and maybe more and then use the two firsts from this year to trade back up to get McCarthy and get the QB they want while picking up a first round pick in 2025 and possibly more. Or maybe McCarthy falls to 11 or at least low enough that they don't have to use the 23rd pick to move up.

Three number ones gives the Pats enough ammunition to get potentially 2-3 All Pros. The 23rd pick may be enough to trade with another team that has a top WR in the last year of their deal to make a trade. If the 49ers are able to re-sign Aiyuk or maybe Devonte Smith in Philly. Who knows?

If the Pats absolutely believe Maye or Daniels (which ever drops) is most likely be an elite QB, don't trade the pick. If they have doubts, take the boatload of picks in the trade. They will definitely cash in with picks if they do. But it all depends on how they view the top QBs.
The Phins ended up with an extra 1st round pick 2 years down the road after all of that, BUT they also already had a QB.

For me it's axiomatic there will be doubts about whoever you're going to take.

I remember the reviews of Mahomes in training camp. They were saying he was a bust becaue he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

It's a risk no matter what.

Mayo should talk less if he can't control himself and say less.

But I don't think he has much say in personnel either way.

Wolf will make the decisions and he'll have Mayo meet these kids beforehand just to see if they can get along.

The Phins ended up with an extra 1st round pick 2 years down the road after all of that, BUT they also already had a QB.

For me it's axiomatic there will be doubts about whoever you're going to take.

I remember the reviews of Mahomes in training camp. They were saying he was a bust becaue he couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.

It's a risk no matter what.

But the Patriots are nowhere near as close as the Dolphins were. And Tua was nothing special at all before he got Hill and Waddle. In fact, he was a below average QB. At the time of the trade, next to no one in Miami thought that Tua was the answer at QB.

Every pick is a risk. But you have significant concerns with a guy at #3, you are likely not going to get a QB worthy of the #3 pick. The number three pick should be viewed as sure shot All Pro caliber player. Whether he lives up to that expectation is another thing. That is why the 49ers were stupid because they traded up to get a QB, not a QB they were in love with. It was destined to fail.

But the Patriots are nowhere near as close as the Dolphins were. And Tua was nothing special at all before he got Hill and Waddle. In fact, he was a below average QB. At the time of the trade, next to no one in Miami thought that Tua was the answer at QB.

Every pick is a risk. But you have significant concerns with a guy at #3, you are likely not going to get a QB worthy of the #3 pick. The number three pick should be viewed as sure shot All Pro caliber player. Whether he lives up to that expectation is another thing. That is why the 49ers were stupid because they traded up to get a QB, not a QB they were in love with. It was destined to fail.
But Tua was going into his 2nd yr. Now, I was highly critical of Mac in yr 3, but even I after his first yr would not have advocated taking a QB. I know Belichick was already advocating they go elsewhere by that time.

If you look at Tua's pre-Tyreek #s, they're not that dissimilar to Mac's #s. 2 to 1 TD to INT. Around 90 rating, 65-67% completion rate.

I don't think we would've taken a QB in 2022 if we had a very high pick (of course, Pickett was the only QB that year). But imagine if Bryant Young was staring us right in the face that year, would we take him? No.

Now, here's the real discussion. You have Mac coming off rookie year. Do you take CJ Stroud? (Especially since Stroud was behind J Fields until his final yr at Ohio State).

The Vikings already gave up a 2nd rounder. What they have is not nearly enough for me.

I would only consider trading with the Giants or the Chargers (if indeed JJ McCarthy is going to Wash. at #2).
You'd turn down Justin Jefferson and 11 for 3? Really?

Listening to today’s Curran podcast. Phil Perry finally went off on Curran’s trade down take

Did he mention @Ian's Rourke take?
Lol, no. I’m in the car and I also just listened to it. Apparently, I’m the only one who thought to explore that island.

Last edited:
So Mayo is open to a trade, unless Daniels slides, or unless he takes Maye, or unless he takes McCarthy.

Remember this time last year when Levis was going to go #2 overall? It's stupid season. Agents are hyping their clients and throwing shade at other players, teams are throwing off scents, and bookkeepers are manipulating the lines. I won't read anything into anything.

Don't be surprised when Williams goes first, Daniel's second, Maye third, and don't be surprised when MvCarthy falls out of the top 10.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back