PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran is the Mouthpiece

He was a Day 2/Day 3 pick until the hype machine behind him fired up.
I cannot believe the hype associated with this guy. Someone is trying to play others for fools.

I think it's important to not bend ourselves into knots trying to interpret what Mayo is saying. He says more than Belichick did, but that doesn't mean it's all entirely accurate, OR that it's carefully crafted to send a particular message. Mayo is a talker. He's a personable guy who likely spends a lot of his time gabbing. For that reason, when he answers a question, he's probably speaking very much stream-of-consciousness style.

This is the problem with a 24 hour, 365 day sports news cycle, where you have 150 journalists whose ONLY job is covering this one team in this one sport... you end up with guys having to answer questions about what they're going to do four weeks before they have to do it, when they don't have all the information. So you get one of two response: The guy who says nothing, like Bill did, who everyone hates because he gives them nothing. Or the guy who speaks off the cuff, who everyone hates because they seem to be contradicting themselves or sending mixed messages.

I think we all need to chill a bit and not read the tea leaves of the draft a month before it happens.
Totally agree. I think he said "burning cash" totally off the cuff and it really didn't mean much at all. But it's been analyzed to death. It reminds of this political science course I took back when Russia was the Soviet Union and there was this whole Kremlinology science about who talked first, who sat next to whom. who sneezed, and all that kind of stuff.

We're probably over-doing it , but then again that's what sports forums do. It's fun to speculate as long as we don't take it too serious (in my view at least).

I’m already tired of listening to Mayo. But that’s ok- I couldn’t stand listening to Belichick, either- just for different reasons.

If he can win football games I really don’t care what he says.

The Vikings already gave up a 2nd rounder. What they have is not nearly enough for me.

I would only consider trading with the Giants or the Chargers (if indeed JJ McCarthy is going to Wash. at #2).

The Vikes have two first rounders in this draft. They would likely have to give both of them up and their first next year to get the #3 pick.

The Vikings already gave up a 2nd rounder. What they have is not nearly enough for me.

I would only consider trading with the Giants or the Chargers (if indeed JJ McCarthy is going to Wash. at #2).
That would be the dumbest thing to do.

1. You get minimal return.
2. You give other teams the chance to offer ARI & LAC "the bag" to move in front of the Pats for a QB.

If WAS is picking JJ at #2, Pats get to choose between 2 of the top QB prospects. Why would you give that up, to move down a couple of spots and risk losing out on your guy?

Yeah, I’m assuming you’re not being serious, and if you are, I can confirm this isn’t the case. I know Curran from way back when going back to the late 90s when he was with the projo and I was down there when I was with Rivals. He’s always been a good guy and we talk once in a great while, but that’s about it.

Nobody other than you guys ever reaches out to me about anything, and, save for a handful of people, it’s usually only when somebody’s irritated about something. :rolleyes:
The fact you went out of your way to deny this, speaks volumes.

Cousins, Why are we making this way too complicated. Yes it's a game of liars poker.If the Vikes wan to move up to pick #3 they can do so without issues unless the Pats whole FO needs to go work for Barnum Bailey.

1-Simple, Picks #11 and pick #23 and WR Justin Jefferson....done deal. The Vikes can't afford him and have $57.4mm in Dead money to account for because of Cousins etc. They are saying they are not trading JJ. B.S. Smokescreen. He'll be gone in 2025 anyway if they don't pay him a king's ransom. The Pats can afford at least one high profile roster add. They might as well get. him. Now the "tradees" have a QB in the system for five years and Vikes can Draft a WR in the later rounds easier than a QB. The Vikes might ba a QB away ..........and we have oogotz!.

2-JJ will be the tide that raises all boats in the QB room. He might even make Brissett look legit. If we Draft a Nix, Penix of Rattler (my choice) you have a player that the enemy DC has to account for and he can make any of these QB kids look good.

3- I don't want a definite -maybe pick in 2025. 2024 hasn't been played and the Pats are already hoisting the white flag......horse poop on that.
This is a professional Team not Alabama Crimson Tide waiting to see what recruits take shape. All this crap about mentor? Really?

4_ Double dip at QB. It's been done before. If you are afraid the McCarthys, Nixs or Penixs of this Draft are MEH.......put in another card in the 3rd or 4th for a bold competitive situation.

5-Cousins , we are going all out signing back guys from a 4-13 Team? OK I will buy one or two might still have value but only after you sign or trade for players that can help this Team now. Don't they teach this in GM #101?

Here is the thing RK wants to build the Team through the Draft. So do the other 31. If he wants to go to another Champoinship and he's gambling that the calender is going to smile on him. We could all be gone in 3-5 Years but when you are 81.....Arthur Blank got it in Atlanta at his age. He went out an got Cousins to push for a Champoinship. You have got the give him credit. We switched our Coach for another Coach who is acting like the first Coach.....Marvelous!

DW Toys
I just don’t see them trading Jefferson. Jefferson being as good as he is, is probably why the Vikings are willing to part with so much draft capital to win now.

I’m not really interested in a trade back unless it’s an offer too good to refuse. Two first and Jefferson is too good to refuse. I’d also have trouble turning down 11, 23 and two firsts. I’d also do it for 11, 23, Darrisaw and another first.

The fact you went out of your way to deny this, speaks volumes.
Lol, you went out of your way twice to tag me in that. So, yes, you got me. ;)

I listened to Zolak today and he and the guys around him seem clueless about driving up interest in the pick.

The way to drive up interest is to not say much. Saying you're open to trades and trading down is NOT a way to drive up interest.

You have to put the desperation on the trading partner's side. You can't signal you're interested in trading down. You have to be overwhelmed by an offer.
Looks like your wrong again. Lol

After Mayo spoke this morning, there are FOUR teams interested in Patriots #3 pick. I'd say having that many teams interested, means Mayo speaking drove up the interest.

Good job Coach Mayo.

I’m already tired of listening to Mayo. But that’s ok- I couldn’t stand listening to Belichick, either- just for different reasons.

If he can win football games I really don’t care what he says.
May I suggest, you put him on mute?

I am on to the draft ... too much conjecture.

Curran has been embarassing himself all year. And now that mayo is head coach it’s even more obvious. Totally pathetic

Curran has been embarassing himself all year. And now that mayo is head coach it’s even more obvious. Totally pathetic
Curran turned out to be right on a lot of things within the last year or so. We know why.

11 and 23 and jordan addison for 3 .....ot at 11 and penix at 23 unless a top 4 qb is at 11 then ot at 23

Last edited:
I wrote in a couple of previous posts that during the run up to the draft QB prospects ALWAYS rise in people's ratings. McCarthy has risen from a point where, AFTER winning the title with Michigan, had him going in the late second or early 3rd round, to NOW being thought of as perhaps being the 2nd or 3rd QB drafted.

Interesting that it was after his pro day that his stock has risen so sharply. A PRO DAY folks. Throwing against air for a defense. I would have thought that after looking a 2 years or more of actual game tape, and confirming size and athletic traits at the combine, plus the interviews and post combine visits they would know all that is possible for a team to make a reasonable analysis. What new thing could a "pro day" possibly tell them that they didn't know already? NOTHING. It's a media inspired action designed to create clicks and content for their shows.

This is not to say that McCarthy can't be a great QB's in the league. ANY of these guys could be, even one of the so called 2nd tier guys. But it IS to say he shouldn't be thought of as a elite PROSPECT at this point in time.

There is no way JJ McCarthy is the #2 pick in the draft.

The Vikes have two first rounders in this draft. They would likely have to give both of them up and their first next year to get the #3 pick.
It's just not enough. At 11, you're not getting Alt or the stud 3 WRs. At 23, you're effectively getting a 2nd round value. It's cheap.

Nothing to see here , they should spread all misinformation they want. They have to take care to not give any hints on what QB they prefer between Maye and Daniels though, because one of them will be there at #3

Since Pats don't know who's going to be available there is no way Curran knows they are trading down.
I don't think the Pats even know what will happen and on draft day they can decide as the picks unfold.
Say the Vikings give 11,23 and 2025 first. Williams, JJ and Daniels go top 3. They offer 11 and their own 2025 first (valued way more than the Vikings 2025 1st) to Chargers (or Cardinals if they don't want Harrison), maybe add this year's 3rd or 4th if need be. Draft Maye, still have 23 and 34 and still have Minny 2025 first.
Unlikely scenario, as Giants would probably trump them. BUT not impossible. But not something that could actually come together until the draft.
I'd say they are 90% taking a QB at 3, 10% chance they trade down.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back