PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran is the Mouthpiece

Curran's job (Perry's too) is to garner clicks.

What else are they (Curran and Perry) going to do for the next month? Break down third round OTs? *yawn*. Your average fan won't give a chit. Talk about not picking at #3, people listen.

Agreed. If I'm going to buy into any conspiracy theory here, it's this: With how relentless Curran is about the trade down narrative, compared to how many Next Pats podcasts Perry has put out in the last couple weeks about how perfect a pick Drake Maye is at 3, I would say they got together and said, "Let's dig our heels in at opposite ends of the spectrum so people will take sides and drive the conversation until the draft."

It became very obvious the moment he became Nostradamus over last year or so.

I dont think his negativity on Bill is regime driven though as he has been on that train for a few years. I always thought it was because Bill took away some access he had or was resentful over Brady as Brady Sr was a frequent guest and source for him if not the Brady camp itself.

I get all the questioning.

I still think that good coaching could have developed Jones, Fields and Wilson into solid starting quarterbacks.

I think that this happens often. A weak team or a team with poor coaching of QB's gets to pick in the top 15 and chooses a QB. A top rookie QB does NOT make the team better, even in 2-3 years, UNLESS they have good coaching or UNLESS they are one of true superstars as Stroud probably is.
I agree. Most bad teams don't want their top QB draft pick to sit on the bench for a year or two while they get coached up and learn what it takes to be a NFL QB. Also, most teams picking at the top of the draft are more than a QB from being a good team.

Our current offense is good example because our o-line needs work and we don't have a #1 receiver. Throw a rookie QB into our current offense and we are setting himself up to fail.

I am personally fine with being patient if we do draft a QB at #3. Give him the time he needs to learn how to be a qb in the nfl and the team a chance to improve the o-line & receivers. I am glad Wolf is in the building because Green Bay has done a great job developing quarterbacka.

saw the same exact post on Reddit. I appreciate the hustle to get your thoughts out on different platforms.

I’m still not sure they trade back, I think Mayo’s answers were to prepare the fans for either picking a qb or a trade back.

He was a Day 2/Day 3 pick until the hype machine behind him fired up.
Day 2 for sure, I would be a REACH for someone to panic draft him in the first round. Not high on him at all, no thanks.

Agreed. If I'm going to buy into any conspiracy theory here, it's this: With how relentless Curran is about the trade down narrative, compared to how many Next Pats podcasts Perry has put out in the last couple weeks about how perfect a pick Drake Maye is at 3, I would say they got together and said, "Let's dig our heels in at opposite ends of the spectrum so people will take sides and drive the conversation until the draft."
Happy Season 5 GIF by The Office

Nailed it.

I will say that Perry's Next Pats is a pretty good deep dive on some of this stuff, from a few that I have listened to.

Happy Season 5 GIF by The Office

Nailed it.

I will say that Perry's Next Pats is a pretty good deep dive on some of this stuff, from a few that I have listened to.

Oh for sure, I like Phil Perry and he usually approaches things from some angles I wouldn't normally have access to. It's just funny how they both have completely doubled down on opposites extremes.

saw the same exact post on Reddit. I appreciate the hustle to get your thoughts out on different platforms.

I’m still not sure they trade back, I think Mayo’s answers were to prepare the fans for either picking a qb or a trade back.
Cousins, Why are we making this way too complicated. Yes it's a game of liars poker.If the Vikes wan to move up to pick #3 they can do so without issues unless the Pats whole FO needs to go work for Barnum Bailey.

1-Simple, Picks #11 and pick #23 and WR Justin Jefferson....done deal. The Vikes can't afford him and have $57.4mm in Dead money to account for because of Cousins etc. They are saying they are not trading JJ. B.S. Smokescreen. He'll be gone in 2025 anyway if they don't pay him a king's ransom. The Pats can afford at least one high profile roster add. They might as well get. him. Now the "tradees" have a QB in the system for five years and Vikes can Draft a WR in the later rounds easier than a QB. The Vikes might ba a QB away ..........and we have oogotz!.

2-JJ will be the tide that raises all boats in the QB room. He might even make Brissett look legit. If we Draft a Nix, Penix of Rattler (my choice) you have a player that the enemy DC has to account for and he can make any of these QB kids look good.

3- I don't want a definite -maybe pick in 2025. 2024 hasn't been played and the Pats are already hoisting the white flag......horse poop on that.
This is a professional Team not Alabama Crimson Tide waiting to see what recruits take shape. All this crap about mentor? Really?

4_ Double dip at QB. It's been done before. If you are afraid the McCarthys, Nixs or Penixs of this Draft are MEH.......put in another card in the 3rd or 4th for a bold competitive situation.

5-Cousins , we are going all out signing back guys from a 4-13 Team? OK I will buy one or two might still have value but only after you sign or trade for players that can help this Team now. Don't they teach this in GM #101?

Here is the thing RK wants to build the Team through the Draft. So do the other 31. If he wants to go to another Champoinship and he's gambling that the calender is going to smile on him. We could all be gone in 3-5 Years but when you are 81.....Arthur Blank got it in Atlanta at his age. He went out an got Cousins to push for a Champoinship. You have got the give him credit. We switched our Coach for another Coach who is acting like the first Coach.....Marvelous!

DW Toys

I’ve been obsessed with draft content and will basically listen to any and everything that relates to the 3rd pick.

In doing so, I’ve had to hear Curran’s take about having to trade back ad nauseam and listen to all his reasons. He’s the type of guy who really tries to hammer the same talking points and buzzwords over and over again.

Listening to Mayo today made me confirm that we all pretty much assumed gives their past relationship working together - Curran is absolutely the mouthpiece for this new regime. He’s being used to sell whatever these new guys are selling. And is still used to bury Belichick any chance he gets. Mayo basically repeated a bunch of the stuff Curran has been spewing for months, sometimes almost word for word.

With that being said, I’m officially preparing for the trade down. I’m team Take a QB so this would be super disappointing but at least I have a month to prepare myself for the letdown.
Interesting that Curran is also using @Ian (they are "friends") to get the patsfan crowd on board, going to the extreme of trading down and using Rourke as the QBOF.

Coincidence or is @Ian a mini mouth piece of the new regime?

I listened to Zolak today and he and the guys around him seem clueless about driving up interest in the pick.

The way to drive up interest is to not say much. Saying you're open to trades and trading down is NOT a way to drive up interest.

You have to put the desperation on the trading partner's side. You can't signal you're interested in trading down. You have to be overwhelmed by an offer.
But they would expect that.

If you don't say anything, they'll know you're interested. So, if you say something, anything, it'll make it sound like they're not interested. Unless, they said something to hide the fact that not saying anything, would be a tell for driving up interest. But if they really wanted to drive up interest, they shouldn't have said anything. Now that they did, it means they're either interested or they're not. Probably not, but not necessarily.

Yes, Washington is playing it the right way. Quinn’s comments were short and sweet. “We need a QB and we like the QBs, but of course we’ll listen to any offers.” That’s all you have to say.

Instead Mayo is talking in circles about how he likes five QBs, how acquiring picks is the “guaranteed way to win” (since when??).

I get this new regime is obsessed with being the Anti-Belichick, and it seems very important that they are liked by the media, but you don’t have to blab on and on.
Mayo has me totally confused with all his jabbering. That must mean other teams are totally confused as well. Or it may mean nothing at all, since most GMs probably don't listen to jabbering by HCs.

I miss the days when the fans didn't know a damn thing about what was going on with the team because Bill said almost nothing.

Now, we still don't know ****, despite all the jabbering.

I get what you’re saying about the Curran and mayo relationship and you may be right, however Currans partner at NBC Phil Perry it’s also extremely close to Mayo and has been pounding the quarterback at three table for months. It’s possible Mayo is having them present both sides of the coin as his mouthpiece, but it seems more likely that they are just as much in the dark as the rest of us.
Agree. I think @Ian is Mayo's mouth piece.

Interesting that Curran is also using @Ian (they are "friends") to get the patsfan crowd on board, going to the extreme of trading down and using Rourke as the QBOF.

Ian PFC Logue & Tom E Curran ramping up the Patriots positivity

Will Ferrell Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

No doubt Ashley wants back in

Season 1 Drama GIF by PBS
Please Please Cat GIF by Guldhart

Washington has the better pick so I would definitely trade up with them first anyway.

But Washington has also clearly signaled they are going after a QB.
Wait, what? So Washington blew the chance to drive up the cost by saying something?

I listened to Zolak today and he and the guys around him seem clueless about driving up interest in the pick.

The way to drive up interest is to not say much. Saying you're open to trades and trading down is NOT a way to drive up interest.

You have to put the desperation on the trading partner's side. You can't signal you're interested in trading down. You have to be overwhelmed by an offer.

There is no need to drive up interest. Several teams are desperate to get into the top three to get Maye or Daniels. When you have several bidders who are telegraphing that they are willing to do whatever it takes to get to at least #3, the Pats can say whatever they wants. It makes no difference.

What will drive up the price for the #3 pick is that the Vikes already traded to get a second first rounder to get ammo to trade to #3. And the fact it is no secret that the Giants, Broncos, and even the Raiders might be willing to do whatever it takes to trade up for a QB will also drive up the price.

If the Pats trade the #3 pick, they are likely to get more than what the Dolphins got in 2021. It doesn’t matter if they say they are willing to trade away the pick or not. They have all the leverage in any trade negotiations because they are trading away a shot at potentially getting an elite QB and there are multiple suitors vying for that right.

There is no need to drive up interest. Several teams are desperate to get into the top three to get Maye or Daniels. When you have several bidders who are telegraphing that they are willing to do whatever it takes to get to at least #3, the Pats can say whatever they wants. It makes no difference.

What will drive up the price for the #3 pick is that the Vikes already traded to get a second first rounder to get ammo to trade to #3. And the fact it is no secret that the Giants, Broncos, and even the Raiders might be willing to do whatever it takes to trade up for a QB will also drive up the price.

If the Pats trade the #3 pick, they are likely to get more than what the Dolphins got in 2021. It doesn’t matter if they say they are willing to trade away the pick or not. They have all the leverage in any trade negotiations because they are trading away a shot at potentially getting an elite QB and there are multiple suitors vying for that right.
The Vikings already gave up a 2nd rounder. What they have is not nearly enough for me.

I would only consider trading with the Giants or the Chargers (if indeed JJ McCarthy is going to Wash. at #2).

I’ve been obsessed with draft content and will basically listen to any and everything that relates to the 3rd pick.

In doing so, I’ve had to hear Curran’s take about having to trade back ad nauseam and listen to all his reasons. He’s the type of guy who really tries to hammer the same talking points and buzzwords over and over again.

Listening to Mayo today made me confirm that we all pretty much assumed gives their past relationship working together - Curran is absolutely the mouthpiece for this new regime. He’s being used to sell whatever these new guys are selling. And is still used to bury Belichick any chance he gets. Mayo basically repeated a bunch of the stuff Curran has been spewing for months, sometimes almost word for word.

With that being said, I’m officially preparing for the trade down. I’m team Take a QB so this would be super disappointing but at least I have a month to prepare myself for the letdown.
Curran of all the teams reporter's is the longest tenured and the most respected. He's vacationed with Bill, ownership and yes of course worked with Mayo.

He has been to Brady's and other players homes. So definitely is dialed in more so than anyone else. So to your point your right.. is sort of the mouth piece for the team.

Personally I like Curran. His reports are usually spot on, and he does critique the team when necessary like he's done alot the past 2 seasons.

I'm also on board with getting the QB in wich Mayo confirmed today!

But they would expect that.

If you don't say anything, they'll know you're interested. So, if you say something, anything, it'll make it sound like they're not interested. Unless, they said something to hide the fact that not saying anything, would be a tell for driving up interest. But if they really wanted to drive up interest, they shouldn't have said anything. Now that they did, it means they're either interested or they're not. Probably not, but not necessarily.

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    902.8 KB · Views: 4
I'll be pissed if they trade down for anything less than 3 first rounders.

Yeah, I’m assuming you’re not being serious, and if you are, I can confirm this isn’t the case. I know Curran from way back when going back to the late 90s when he was with the projo and I was down there when I was with Rivals. He’s always been a good guy and we talk once in a great while, but that’s about it.

Nobody other than you guys ever reaches out to me about anything, and, save for a handful of people, it’s usually only when somebody’s irritated about something. :rolleyes:

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back