PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zo believes Stid will start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lombardi clearly saying he sees Cam as a starter and a top 10 QB. Not much to disagree with. As always it will be about health.

Keep in mind his son is our assistant QB coach and we all know how connected to BB he is.

Dante Scarnechia said it best when he stated that there will be growing pains with Stidham. How patient are people going to be with Newton sitting on the bench while Stidham gains experience through on the job training? Its much cleaner for Stidham to come off the bench than for Newton.

We dont even know if Stidham can manage an NFL offense in games that actually matter.

Dante Scarnechia said it best when he stated that there will be growing pains with Stidham. How patient are people going to be with Newton sitting on the bench while Stidham gains experience through on the job training? Its much cleaner for Stidham to come off the bench than for Newton.

We dont even know if Stidham can manage an NFL offense in games that actually matter.

The coaching staff created a gameplan around JB for the TNF against the Texans within a few days.

If camp shows that Cam is not toast they will figure out an offense around him even if he is still catching up on the playbook by then. I see no reason to assume that Stidham would start early just because he is ahead in terms of knowing the offense.

I think he took peanuts because peanuts was the only offer.

Maybe it wasn't the only offer, but it was probably the only one that included a chance to start.

And maybe this contract is only a placeholder; if Newton wins the starting job they'll renegotiate a better deal, but if Stidham wins it, the Pats can cut Newton without any significant impact on the cap. Then Newton can sign with another team as a backup, or wait until some starting QB suffers an injury, and get more money than the current Pats deal.

In the end, I doubt Newton will remain a Patriot if Stidham is named the starter. Newton could make more money taking a backup job elsewhere, and Belichick has always shown great respect for veteran players (who deserve it). Belichick will cut Newton if Cam ask him to.

Maybe it wasn't the only offer, but it was probably the only one that included a chance to start.

And maybe this contract is only a placeholder; if Newton wins the starting job they'll renegotiate a better deal, but if Stidham wins it, the Pats can cut Newton without any significant impact on the cap. Then Newton can sign with another team as a backup, or wait until some starting QB suffers an injury, and get more money than the current Pats deal.

In the end, I doubt Newton will remain a Patriot if Stidham is named the starter. Newton could make more money taking a backup job elsewhere, and Belichick has always shown great respect for veteran players (who deserve it). Belichick will cut Newton if Cam ask him to.
I think they are competing for the job and the winner will be subject to being replaced by his backup, since both have high failure potential. I don’t think anyone is going anywhere.
Newton was not given a promise he would start, and bb will do what’s best for the team. Newton can go elsewhere next season if he wishes.
Belichick shows respect and deference to veterans who are going to make the team, he won’t cut loose a guy who would be backing up a qb playing for the first time in the nfl, and newton wouldn’t have any better options any way.
There were zero reports of any other team even speaking with him to my knowledge so making up that there were other offers is just that and doesn’t really work as a fact to support your conclusion.

The one possible drawback to having Cam start ahead of Stid is that we still might not be any closer to finding our QB of the Future...

It depends on how it goes, I think. If Newton has a successful season and sees how success can be sustained with Belichick and McDaniels, he might be the answer for four or five years. The good news is that the Patriots will have lots of money to work with in 2021 once the dead money comes off the cap. They will have the money to offer a signing bonus plus somewhat competitive deal.

The coaching staff created a gameplan around JB for the TNF against the Texans within a few days.

If camp shows that Cam is not toast they will figure out an offense around him even if he is still catching up on the playbook by then. I see no reason to assume that Stidham would start early just because he is ahead in terms of knowing the offense.
My take is that newton will only be effective in a system designed around him that takes advantage of his mobility and running threat and minimizes the reliance on him being a pocket passer.
If he can be that dual threat, I am certain bb and McD can develop a scheme that will produce a good offense. If not, and he is only a pocket passer, he will either not win the job in camp or be benched before very long.

I think they are competing for the job and the winner will be subject to being replaced by his backup, since both have high failure potential. I don’t think anyone is going anywhere.
Newton was not given a promise he would start, and bb will do what’s best for the team. Newton can go elsewhere next season if he wishes.
Belichick shows respect and deference to veterans who are going to make the team, he won’t cut loose a guy who would be backing up a qb playing for the first time in the nfl, and newton wouldn’t have any better options any way.
There were zero reports of any other team even speaking with him to my knowledge so making up that there were other offers is just that and doesn’t really work as a fact to support your conclusion.

We'll see I guess. But to me, the contract is a giveaway. As a backup in New England, Newton would make less money than Hoyer.

There's always opportunities in the NFL. Derek Anderson signed with the Bills for the veteran minimum during the 2018 season, and started against the Pats. There's another team that will have the same issue this year, especially if COVID sidelines a few starting QBs. Newton is no Kaeperkick, he would have received a call sometimes.

Your view of Belichick is not the same as mine; he let Reggie Wayne keep his signing bonus, even though that didn't make the Pats better. He traded Gronkowski so he could resume his career elsewhere, and the 4th round pick he received probably won't make the Pats a better team than having a limited Gronk for 1 or 2 more years.

If Belichick feels Stidham is the right QB for the job, he'll go with the growing pains, he's not going to change his decision after 3 games. Not sure why Newton would want to stay, knowing it would delay another big payday by at least a year, and not sure why Belichick would want to keep a former MVP on board, knowing fans will ask for Stidham to be benched whenever he throws an INT. And if Stidham suffers an injury, Newton can always be re-signed if, as you stated, nobody else wants him.

Anyways, if Cam wins the starting job, all of this is a moot point.

I would be fine starting Stidham and letting him grow. This is a lost season for many reasons so let Stid take some lumps and learn and be better for it.

Last edited:
My take is that newton will only be effective in a system designed around him that takes advantage of his mobility and running threat and minimizes the reliance on him being a pocket passer.
If he can be that dual threat, I am certain bb and McD can develop a scheme that will produce a good offense. If not, and he is only a pocket passer, he will either not win the job in camp or be benched before very long.

You keep saying that and insist that he was just throwing dump offs in 2018.

I disagree and think the will be just fine in the pocket. He can read defenses pretty well, has a strong arm and can hit tight windows. Not as consistent as someone like Brady but the tradeoff is his deep ball as well as his mobility which open up entirely new pages in the playbook.

He never relied on a strong supporting cast so our current crew on offense will not make a difference, with McDaniels he gains a playcaller on a level he also didn't see so far and he will play behind the strongest OL he has ever had.

As always his health is the assumption here but I my feeling is that he will be a good fit. Disagree all you want.

You keep saying that and insist that he was just throwing dump offs in 2018.

I disagree and think the will be just fine in the pocket. He can read defenses pretty well, has a strong arm and can hit tight windows. Not as consistent as someone like Brady but the tradeoff is his deep ball as well as his mobility which open up entirely new pages in the playbook.

He never relied on a strong supporting cast so our current crew on offense will not make a difference, with McDaniels he gains a playcaller on a level he also didn't see so far and he will play behind the strongest OL he has ever had.

As always his health is the assumption here but I my feeling is that he will be a good fit. Disagree all you want.
Yes I disagree. He has never been an effective pocket passer. He is not accurate. You can still be an effective QB if you have those flaws but you have to be a dual threat who moves the chains by running and creates passing plays with his mobility by extending the play.
He’s just never been successful from the pocket and I don’t see how he suddenly could be.
The dump off issues isn’t even that he was good because of it, but that it gave him a high completion percentage but ultimately didn’t make the offense any better.

He’s just never been successful from the pocket and I don’t see how he suddenly could be.

He was literally a 2018 MVP candidate with a more traditional QBing approach under Norv until Watt wrecked his shoulder. It seems like for some reason you took the way he played early in his career and just decided "this is him until the end of his career".

He was literally a 2018 MVP candidate with a more traditional QBing approach under Norv until Watt wrecked his shoulder. It seems like for some reason you took the way he played early in his career and just decided "this is him until the end of his career".

in 2018, Newton was more accurate than Rothlisberger, Mahomes and Wilson. All Super Bowl winning QBs.

NGS | NFL Next Gen Stats

The naysayers will complain that Newtons average pass was too short at only 5 yards. Dumpoffs. 2018 Tom Bradys average pass was 5.6 yards that was good enough to win another Super Bowl. Newton is not in NE to run.

in 2018, Newton was more accurate than Rothlisberger, Mahomes and Wilson. All Super Bowl winning QBs.

NGS | NFL Next Gen Stats

The naysayers will complain that Newtons average pass was too short at only 5 yards. Dumpoffs. 2018 Tom Bradys average pass was 5.6 yards that was good enough to win another Super Bowl. Newton is not in NE to run.
While true, your comparison to 2018 Brady isn’t the best one if you are trying to compare to an elite QB. The 2018 version of Brady : moments galore, but overall, a far cry from his best years... the running game & D were the true heroes of that SB run and win.

He wasn’t close to a mvp candidate. They were a 7-9 team his td/int was 24/13, he was 19th in passing yards, 14th in td passes, 17th in passer rating. He wasn’t in the top 100 mvp candidates.

I am afraid that is NOT him until the end of his career because if the isn’t a dual threat and tries to be a pocket passer he will stink.

oh and by the way he didn’t play against Houston in 2018 and his rushing attempts were 0.3 per game below his career average. He wasn’t playing “traditional qb” turner added 100 dump offs to mccaffrey to the offense. Again as the numbers above indicate it did nothing to make his play any better it just help make his completion percentage look higher.

He wasn’t close to a mvp candidate. They were a 7-9 team his td/int was 24/13, he was 19th in passing yards, 14th in td passes, 17th in passer rating. He wasn’t in the top 100 mvp candidates.

Amazing how a team can be 7-9 after 8 games. Or more likely you didn't read properly.

They were 6-2 coming into the TNF where his shoulder got shredded. He was going 15:4 (TD:INT) and had thrown 1,893 yds (and rushed for 342 yds with 4 TD) in the games before suffering the injury.

oh and by the way he didn’t play against Houston in 2018 and his rushing attempts were 0.3 per game below his career average.

Oh btw. there are multiple players named Watt in the league and he got hit pretty violently by TJ Watt in that TNF against the Steelers.

You could have easily gotten all this from the context if you had even invested more than a minute into researching your argument. But similar to your opinion about him never showing any success from the pocket, your response was also just a shot from the gut with a garnish of some summary stats of the entire season.

Last edited:
Amazing how a team can be 7-9 after 8 games. Or more likely you didn't read properly.

They were 6-2 coming into the TNF where his shoulder got shredded. He was going 15:4 (TD:INT) and had thrown 1,893 yds (and rushed for 342 yds with 4 TD) in the games before suffering the injury.

Oh btw. there are multiple players named Watt in the league and he got hit pretty violently by TJ Watt in that TNF against the Steelers.

You could have easily gotten all this from the context if you had even invested more than a minute into researching your argument. But similar to your opinion about him never showing any success from the pocket your response was also just shot from the gut with a garnish of some summary stats of the entire season.
Ok so you want to resort to insults so I will be done here, find someone else to talk to.
My points remain and there is no point bearing a dead horse, if there is a season we will all see it.

Ok so you want to resort to insults so I will be done here, find someone else to talk to.
My points remain and there is no point bearing a dead horse, if there is a season we will all see it.

What insults ?

I actually looked into numbers and made a coherent argument then you ignored my entire point of him playing well until he got injured and started babbling about his irrelevant overall season stats. And then you somehow assumed I was talking about JJ Watt and a non-existent Texans game which to me is just the cherry on top of your low effort approach to entertain your own bias towards Newton.

It doesn't look like you are big into good faith discussions since you are not able to bring up anything quantifiable. Goodbye and keep wrongfully assuming that we need to transform our offense for Newton.

What insults ?

I actually looked into numbers and made a coherent argument then you ignored my entire point of him playing well until he got injured and started babbling about his irrelevant overall season stats. And then you somehow assumed I was talking about JJ Watt and a non-existent Texans game which to me is just the cherry on top of your low effort approach to entertain your own bias towards Newton.

It doesn't look like you are big into good faith discussions since you are not able to bring up anything quantifiable. Goodbye and keep wrongfully assuming that we need to transform our offense for Newton.
You are free to post how you want to post but if you can’t have a respectful adult conversation then find someone else.
Nothing I said is at all refuted by your comments other than confusion about which watt you meant.
What changed after that game? He stopped running. Newton has never been a successful pocket passer. If he doesn’t want to run and we don’t use him as a dual threat that 1-5 run you referenced is what we will get.
As I said if he plays as a dual threat qb his running can make him a passing threat, and your example only proved that. If he tries to run a brady offense it will be a disaster.

In 2004 the first season of The Apprentice, you had an african american candidate who went to Harvard and then Goldman Sachs. There was a white candidate who went to a state school and started a cigar website that made zero money. Equal candidates right? In 2004 the Apprentice Wig-man selected the cigar fake website candidate. That Apprentice Winner went on to an illustrious career as a Rogaine spokesperson. I give Zo a pass because he's drunk 95% of the time and just plain stupid. But this is a perfect example of how idiotic some of the candidate comparisons are. Unless Cam Newton is in a wheelchair, this former NFL MVP #1 pick and Heisman winner, is the starting QB of the Patriots.

Last edited:
While true, your comparison to 2018 Brady isn’t the best one if you are trying to compare to an elite QB. The 2018 version of Brady : moments galore, but overall, a far cry from his best years... the running game & D were the true heroes of that SB run and win.

Is there any reason why the NE running offense cannot do the same for Newton as they did for Bradys 6th ring in 2018?

There isn't.

Thats the 2020 plan to let the NE running backs take the punishment in lieu of Newton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes