PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Zo believes Stid will start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you clarify this?
The paid him literally the minimum. Less than a backup. He had no offers from anyone else. What would imply they wouldn’t have signed a guy off the street at the minimum to be a back up, or compete?
Cam Newton isn't "a guy off the street" making the minimum. He:
(a) has a huge chip on his shoulder (Belichick is used to coaching a QB who feels he has something to prove every game, BTW)
(b) has $6.5 MM in incentives and
(c) thinks that, while his real value might not be Patrick Mahomes' money, he is worth a lot closer to $30 MM than $7.5 MM and that this is his chance to prove it.

There's no way, unless he stinks in Training Camp (not likely) or, gets injured again (not out of the question), that he isn't starting Game 1.

You don't sign a guy who's taken his team to the SB, been picked #1 overall and been league MVP and then got hurt a couple of times to put him on the bench.

The only way Cam sits on the bench is if he earns it on the field or gets hurt.

Cam Newton isn't "a guy off the street" making the minimum. He:
(a) has a huge chip on his shoulder (Belichick is used to coaching a QB who feels he has something to prove every game, BTW)
(b) has $6.5 MM in incentives and
(c) thinks that, while his real value might not be Patrick Mahomes' money, he is worth a lot closer to $30 MM than $7.5 MM and that this is his chance to prove it.

There's no way, unless he stinks in Training Camp (not likely) or, gets injured again (not out of the question), that he isn't starting Game 1.

You don't sign a guy who's taken his team to the SB, been picked #1 overall and been league MVP and then got hurt a couple of times to put him on the bench.

The only way Cam sits on the bench is if he earns it on the field or gets hurt.
You still haven’t explained why you wouldn’t sign this guy if you felt he was likely to be the backup and contingency plan to your young qb.
Many qbs do well at one point and end up as backups. A running qb who struggles in the pocket and now isn’t going to run would be an example.
Dilfer, kaepernick, hasselbeck, flacco, rypien, Williams, McMahon are all examples of SB QBs who later became backups.
If Newton were a sure thing to be a good QBs why would no one have paid him more than the lowest possible?
He literally is a guy off the street who couldn’t land a job and had to take the minimum.

You still haven’t explained why you wouldn’t sign this guy if you felt he was likely to be the backup and contingency plan to your young qb.
Many qbs do well at one point and end up as backups. A running qb who struggles in the pocket and now isn’t going to run would be an example.
Dilfer, kaepernick, hasselbeck, flacco, rypien, Williams, McMahon are all examples of SB QBs who later became backups.
If Newton were a sure thing to be a good QBs why would no one have paid him more than the lowest possible?
He literally is a guy off the street who couldn’t land a job and had to take the minimum.
I've said what I think. The only answer to your question is "Time (and BB) will tell."

NFL players and execs say watch out for the combo of BB and Newton.

Patsfans.com says Newton couldn't beat out Stidum, even though they probably haven't seen him play or how he's been in practice.

I've said what I think. The only answer to your question is "Time (and BB) will tell."
Exactly. No one is right or wrong at this point because the question will be answered in time. Thanks for the input.

NFL players and execs say watch out for the combo of BB and Newton.

Patsfans.com says Newton couldn't beat out Stidum, even though they probably haven't seen him play or how he's been in practice.
I dont think anyone said he can’t beat out Stidham. I, for one, am saying newton with bb and McDaniel is an intriguing possibility assuming newton is the dual threat qb we saw when he was unconventionally successful, but if he can’t or won’t use the running part of his game his skill set is not consistent with a guy who can be an effective pocket QB.

Is there any reason why the NE running offense cannot do the same for Newton as they did for Bradys 6th ring in 2018?

There isn't.
Well, yeah actually there is: No Trent Brown, no James Develin, no Gronk, no Dwayne Allen, and an even less healthy Soreknee...We really need Damien the Omen Harris to be FREED!

I dont think anyone said he can’t beat out Stidham.
Oooh yes they have. There's a long thread with majority of posters claiming this when Newton signed.

People on here were in denial that he was coming here, and now that he's here, they are angry and have to pull out the "well, he won't beat out Stidum anyway" card.

Oooh yes they have. There's a long thread with majority of posters claiming this when Newton signed.

People on here were in denial that he was coming here, and now that he's here, they are angry and have to pull out the "well, he won't beat out Stidum anyway" card.
I think it will be a great battle but Newtons Experience and chip on his shoulder edge out Stidham

I dont think anyone said he can’t beat out Stidham. I, for one, am saying newton with bb and McDaniel is an intriguing possibility assuming newton is the dual threat qb we saw when he was unconventionally successful, but if he can’t or won’t use the running part of his game his skill set is not consistent with a guy who can be an effective pocket QB.

Reason number #20 why your position is wrong, is Stidham himself is a runner/passer. The kid is NOT an elite pocket passer. Watch his Auburn tape. He relies on his legs. Try to make him a pure pocket passer you get 3 NFL passes and 1 int for return TD. Newton is better in every single way compared to Stidham. It's like arguing Oakland Randy Moss compared with Chris Hogan. Not even close. Except in Boston chatter.

Reason number #20 why your position is wrong, is Stidham himself is a runner/passer. The kid is NOT an elite pocket passer. Watch his Auburn tape. He relies on his legs. Try to make him a pure pocket passer you get 3 NFL passes and 1 int for return TD. Newton is better in every single way compared to Stidham. It's like arguing Oakland Randy Moss compared with Chris Hogan. Not even close. Except in Boston chatter.

Well we disagree. We aren’t sure yet what Stidham is big he was drafted to be a pocket qb, not a dual threat. Newton as a dual
threat ought to be the starter but if he is not going to run we won’t win with him so we might as well see what Stidham is.
Cam Newton is not the randy moss of QBs, I think your homerism has blinded you. But that’s fine, optimism is good.
Btw I’m not sure where you are getting that Stidham is a running qb. He’s not, in fact he rushed for a total of 1 yard his last year at auburn (college qb rushing us net of sacks)

but the big question is what do you think my position is, because your comments aren’t really pertinent to my position.

Last edited:
Well we disagree. We aren’t sure yet what Stidham is big he was drafted to be a pocket qb, not a dual threat. Newton as a dual
threat ought to be the starter but if he is not going to run we won’t win with him so we might as well see what Stidham is.
Cam Newton is not the randy moss of QBs, I think your homerism has blinded you. But that’s fine, optimism is good.
Btw I’m not sure where you are getting that Stidham is a running qb. He’s not, in fact he rushed for a total of 1 yard his last year at auburn (college qb rushing us net of sacks)

Yea his last year at Auburn when he was NOT good. His only good year he was a dual running QB. He's inferior to Cam in every single QB attribute.

Cam will not be on the bench unless injured for game 1.
He will either be the starter from the get go OR he will be cut before the season starts.
I doubt that BB and McDaniels would bring him in to sit on the bench. Likely too much respect as a former MVP for him to do that.

Truth is Newton has so much more game experience than Stidham and that can not be replaced. Now if Newton falters or is injured, Stidham will be the #1.

Yea his last year at Auburn when he was NOT good. His only good year he was a dual running QB. He's inferior to Cam in every single QB attribute.

He ran for 153 the year before. He’s not a running QB.
If he is worse in the pocket than newton then he will be out of the league soon.
I don’t think that’s the case, but we will have to wait and see.

Is there any reason why the NE running offense cannot do the same for Newton as they did for Bradys 6th ring in 2018?

There isn't.

Thats the 2020 plan to let the NE running backs take the punishment in lieu of Newton.
Your theory makes sense. I’m wondering if the D and the running game - in 2020 - CAN carry the team the way it did in late 2018... I am hoping, but not hopeful. The level of production from those units in the 2018 playoff run will be difficult to replicate. They were just on such an incredible roll that winter.

Cam will not be on the bench unless injured for game 1.
He will either be the starter from the get go OR he will be cut before the season starts.
I doubt that BB and McDaniels would bring him in to sit on the bench. Likely too much respect as a former MVP for him to do that.

Truth is Newton has so much more game experience than Stidham and that can not be replaced. Now if Newton falters or is injured, Stidham will be the #1.
BB brought in Wayne and Lynch - but released them (« retired ») early when he saw they had lost it. He also « Encouraged » Bruschi to retire when it was obvious he could not perform.

To say that Cam wasn’t brought in to sit on the bench is true. He’ll get released if he doesn’t beat out Stidham. But what I don’t believe is that BB « won’t bring you in unless you are a sure thing ». He’ll bring in anyone he thinks can help. And he’ll dump them if they can’t. And he won’t insult them on the way out.

BB brought in Wayne and Lynch - but released them (« retired ») early when he saw they had lost it. He also « Encouraged » Bruschi to retire when it was obvious he could not perform.

To say that Cam wasn’t brought in to sit on the bench is true. He’ll get released if he doesn’t beat out Stidham. But what I don’t believe is that BB « won’t bring you in unless you are a sure thing ». He’ll bring in anyone he thinks can help. And he’ll dump them if they can’t. And he won’t insult them on the way out.
Wayne quit and lynch didn’t make the team. Bruschi was done and retired so to not be cut.
Newton is different. He was signed to compete for the qb job. If he loses the competition to Stidham he could be on the field at any point due to injury or ineffectiveness. Bb won’t release him if he is QB1b. And what better opportunity would newton have anywhere else. Unless he is going to retire BB won’t cut him loose.

Wayne quit and lynch didn’t make the team. Bruschi was done and retired so to not be cut.
Newton is different. He was signed to compete for the qb job. If he loses the competition to Stidham he could be on the field at any point due to injury or ineffectiveness. Bb won’t release him if he is QB1b. And what better opportunity would newton have anywhere else. Unless he is going to retire BB won’t cut him loose.
« Newton is different ». You are hopeful. I am just hoping.

Too many posters are taking for granted that health = greatness for Cam. Might be true. Not convinced.

Everyone hyping Cam to no end when he hasn't had a great year since 2015 or a healthy one. That guy IMO is just as unknown as Stidham is. His health or his game is a huge ?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down