Replies:
Asking for your support

Mac or Zappe

• Zappe

• Mac

Results are only viewable after voting.
See what Heinicke did.
That’s what Zappe gives you.
That scrappiness the smart plays not making big mistakes and keeping your poise and wits.

Heinicke will win some games but never go anywhere. If Zappe is like Heinicke than that is not a positive. You can pitch it as "scrapiness" or "poise and wits" but overall Heinicke lacks the arm talent and athleticism to be a top QB. That is not hating on Zappe.

Heinicke will win some games but never go anywhere. If Zappe is like Heinicke than that is not a positive. You can pitch it as "scrapiness" or "poise and wits" but overall Heinicke lacks the arm talent and athleticism to be a top QB. That is not hating on Zappe.
Funny, you just described Mac. Those are the reasons many saw him as a 2nd round QB.

Funny, you just described Mac. Those are the reasons many saw him as a 2nd round QB.

Mac is Heinicke? Scrappy?

Mac does not have the strongest arm, but Heinicke and Msc are two different players.

Blind loyalty isn't a virtue either.
It's not blind loyalty. Bill is not perfect. However, he is closer to it than most people. It's not blind loyalty, it's faith in his talent and abilities.

I laugh every time you post this.

You really look around the NFL and think, if only that guy were coaching us?

Really now, after every thing you've seen?

Belichick is a God. You better venerate him because anyone else would be much worse.

Earlier this year people were mentioning McVay. That guy couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag.
Mila Kunis Look GIF by PeacockTV

It's not blind loyalty. Bill is not perfect. However, he is closer to it than most people. It's not blind loyalty, it's faith in his talent and abilities.
You can think he is a great coach and have faith in his abilities and still disagree with some of his decisions. Agreeing with everything he does because he is a great coach is just blind loyalty.

....and many saw him as the 3rd pick in the draft. You can't have it both ways.

I'll let @BaconGrundleCandy comment on that one since I'm not a draft nerd.
That's the thing about drafting nerds, they all have opinions. Some good ones and some bad ones. Among the imperfect sciences, it is the king. I am always stunned by the wide ranges players get from the draft sites, which is compounded by the wide variances of success and failure by the teams themselves. Now BCG is among the best imo, but.....

Again, my pet peeve is how we ALL immediately react to short term success or failure to make blanket judgments on players and coaches. Tua has gone from a abject failure to MVP candidate inside of 9 games. Christ it took Justin Fields only 3 games to go from zero to hero. So today HE's the best QB from the 21 rookie class and Mac is the worst.

If Mack throws for 3 TDs, 300yds, and no TO's next Sunday, will that suddenly make HIM suddenly a great choice. NO, a thousand time no. When are we going to learn that NO ONE individual is to blame or the reason for success in the game of football. It's the ULTIMATE truism of the game. It is what makes it great, and yet we CONSTANTLY make comments that make it ALL about the individual, and it drives me NUTS.

BTW- as for the morons who think Bill has past it, do you have ANY idea how many decisions he has to make each week. Hundreds during the week, followed by about a 60 more during the game. So being right 100% of the time is an impossibility. Dozens are NOT going to work out and even more we are not going to agree with (with our perfect 20/20 hindsight). But it is safe to acknowledge, even as Bill enters his dotage, he making a lot more correct decisions that wrong ones. Unfortunately this goes against the narrative that those amongst us who haven't been wrong about anything that has to do with football since the Carter Administration would like you to believe. :rolleyes:

Agreeing with everything he does because he is a great coach is just blind loyalty.
I know of absolutely nobody who agrees with everything he does.

It's more of a matter of saying that the good decisions far outweigh the bad ones, to a larger extent than for maybe any other coach, rather than saying that the bad decisions doesn't exist.

You can think he is a great coach and have faith in his abilities and still disagree with some of his decisions. Agreeing with everything he does because he is a great coach is just blind loyalty.
Who here is doing that?

Tua has gone from a abject failure to MVP candidate inside of 9 games. Christ it took Justin Fields only 3 games to go from zero to hero. So today HE's the best QB from the 21 rookie class and Mac is the worst.
Great point.

Typically, the higher drafted quarterback is given the chance to stay in there and gain experience.

In the past, I've posted how utterly putrid a dozen Hall of Fame quarterbacks were in their first starting stints in the league.

But they were kept in there. Does Mac deserve the chance to develop? I think so. He does not appear to have the passing ability of Eason or Bledsoe right now, but there's time to grow. The blindingly obvious ability of Zappe is the only thing complicating this.
But it is safe to acknowledge, even as Bill enters his dotage, he's making a lot more correct decisions than wrong ones.
Right. It's smart to trust him.

Um, and we don't have a choice, anyway...
Unfortunately this goes against the narrative that those amongst us who haven't been wrong about anything that has to do with football since the Carter Administration would like you to believe. :rolleyes:
Yup, I was wrong about dealing Jim and starting Grogan, and since then I've been infallible.

Well, maybe except for lots of times this century, when I thought, "Why are they having Brady pass?!" and, most of the time, it worked out. Mainly due to him being the GOAT and all.

Heinicke ran 4.62 with a 6.96 3cone and a respectable 35" Vert. Dude's very athletic for a QB. We'll see how it goes, but I don't see him turning out to be a top QB, either. If he had more experience, especially with that crew in DC (McLaurin, Dotson, Samuel), who knows?

See 5:21:

Last edited:
....and many saw him as the 3rd pick in the draft. You can't have it both ways.
I'll let @BaconGrundleCandy comment on that one since I'm not a draft nerd.
Most had him in the 5th-udfa range. Although he "peaked" around 55 consensus board had him at 163.

I probably had him higher than 90% of the stuff out there at a 3rd. I value the possibility of becoming a bu QB A LOT more than most though. QB's seem to be missing more time than ever. Those 1-4 games make or break your season. And bu do a ton behind the scenes that don't show up on paper or even to most people's eyes but they are a huge chemistry builders and bridges. Not all OC & QB see eye to eye. They can really melt tension, talk to both sides and be straight without fear of anything. As one told me a long time ago. They can't bench me and the next guy that can throw a football is our bu Saf. Again just lots of stuff that doesn't show up on highlights but a good one will make your starters life a lot easier.

I've gotten stuff for having guys like that too high but it just comes down to what you believe in and value.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back