Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Mac or Zappe

• Zappe

• Mac

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mac will come back after the BYE fully healed and sharp leading this team to the playoffs.

BB hater and Parcells son in law Mike Tannebaum was out lying and spreading his fake news last night on NFL Network. They asked if the Pats are Super Bowl contenders and his response was NO. Then they showed clips of Mac, our QB disparaging him. They will be sorry because Mac doesnt forget those who doubt him.
Honestly, do the Patriots look like Super Bowl Contenders ?

I think Patricia is getting a bad rap. All of his supporters have insisted that his exp. on D gives him a unique insight into how to call O play calls. They are, of course, correct. Patricia is calling plays that defenses can easily stop. He's been voted #1 OC by the DC in the league.

So, what do you do with zappe against the colts who basically stopped our runs on first down each drive? Would be the same story

Maybe give him some moving-pocket/boot-option looks... Seems clear that Mac sucks at buying himself time in a stationary pocket, but also sucks at moving laterally, which is what he would have to do in those looks... Zappy appears more comfortable moving his feet to avoid pressure; and when our lousy protection is considered, this is another reason why Zappy > Mac should've been the way to go unless and until he layed a complete egg like the Clots' QB did on Sunday...

Last edited:
This is a moment of truth for Belichick. I agree with you on Zappe. He’s a natural. But Jones is the first-rounder from buddy Saban.

Tough call to make this season.

It’s astonishing how reliant Mac Jones is on Jacobi Meyers. If he’s not open he then looks to Rhamandre. Patricia loves the wheel route too much. Then, if he’s not open, he panics.

Clear regression from last year. Impossible to determine what part is the poor play of the line in front of him or the in the job training by his immediate coaches.

I think Patricia is getting a bad rap. All of his supporters have insisted that his exp. on D gives him a unique insight into how to call O play calls. They are, of course, correct. Patricia is calling plays that defenses can easily stop. He's been voted #1 OC by the DC in the league.
I seriously laughed out loud on this one.

50% of Mac's targets are to Meyers (23%), Stevenson (15%) & Jonnu (12%). They have completion % of 71%, 75% & 65% respectively. On Sunday, he targeted Stevenson 7 times but only completed 3.

His best completion % is w/ Henry (82%) but only targets him 7%. His next best is Agholor (80%) but he's dropped in the depth chart.

His worse completion % is with Thornton (29%) and Parker (40%) who had 4 INTs against him. The other 3 INTs were when targeting Bourne (2) and Jonnu (1).

I think Mac's issues are because (in order of gravity):

1. QB coach keeps talking to him about how to hold the ball during a FG;
2. OC keeps telling him to close his eyes and pretend he's playing at Bryant-Denny;
3. He's being asked to run offensive plays that require a PhD in Physics (not fair, he has a Masters in Sports Hospitality);
4. His OL keeps calling him Bailey;
5. None of his WRs are named Devonta, Jaylen or Metchie;
99. He's taken a tiny step back.

Maybe give him some moving-pocket/boot-option looks... Seems clear that Mac sucks at buying himself time in a stationary pocket, but also sucks at moving laterally, which is what he would have to do in those looks... Zappy appears more comfortable moving his feet to avoid pressure; and when our lousy protection is considered, this is another reason why Zappy > Mac should've been the way to go unless and until he layed a complete egg like the Clots' QB did on Sunday...
All QB's lay eggs. Including the HOFers.

Flutie is the best quarterback of the 90's. But no one in the NFL believed in him or simply even kept him in there when he made the teams he played on competitive.

Jones, given the time and coddling (and loaded rosters) that Aikman, Kelly, Elway, Young et al. received, could succeed.

But this team wasted seven years and $millions on a project named Tony Eason and all we were left with is what could have been if the far better and far less paid players behind him were kept in there.

Belichick would seem to be the perfect coach for this situation (Kosar, Bledsoe). But, along with his brilliant, effective decisions, have come disastrous ones which defy common sense and the reality of the moment. The line between glory and a wasted season is very thin.

This is a moment of truth for Belichick. I agree with you on Zappe. He’s a natural. But Jones is the first-rounder from buddy Saban.

Tough call to make this season.

It’s astonishing how reliant Mac Jones is on Jacobi Meyers. If he’s not open he then looks to Rhamandre. Patricia loves the wheel route too much. Then, if he’s not open, he panics.

Clear regression from last year. Impossible to determine what part is the poor play of the line in front of him or the in the job training by his immediate coaches.

If conditions are Perfect (e.g.: Alabama) then he can look like a starting NFL QB...

If they aren't (e.g.: Now) then Corky looks & acts like a high school kid.

To be fair not many QB's would look like a decent NFL QB if you are pressured on half of your drop backs
Tom's one of them. He covered up for a lot of deficiencies we had here, especially the last ten years.

It takes work, and determination to be a really good quarterback. Doesn't matter if you're Mahomes, Allen, Jones, whoever.

What Zappe has is serious potential. In every area, including leadership. Impossible for me to take for granted.

vs the Browns

Lamar Jackson 9 for 16 120 yards
Justin Herbert 22 for 34 228 yards 1 TD
Joe Burrow 25 for 35 232 yards 2 TD 1 INT

Bailey Zappe 24 for 34 309 yards 2 TD

Zappe doing better against that "bad defense" than guys people had as their picks for MVP this year.
Would ya look at that

This play is a microcosm of Jones' issues ... basically his struggles in a nutshell. He has a really clean pocket here but you still see all the same problems:
  • Never looks to his right (appears to have an open Bourne on a checkdown)
  • Anxious in the pocket, moves too soon/too much, runs himself into pressure causing his rhythm/timing to break down in the process (watch how he squares his hips; once he does that, he's done for).
  • Hesitant, unsure, indecisive
  • Poor mechanics across the board: footwork, hips/core, throwing, etc. Just sloppy.

View attachment 47096
I couldn't agree more

So, what do you do with zappe against the colts who basically stopped our runs on first down each drive? Would be the same story
Lately Mac isn't a threat. All the D needs to worry about is stopping the run. With a more productive QB...then the D needs to worry more about the pass and therefor running the ball would have been more effective.

Tom's one of them. He covered up for a lot of deficiencies we had here, especially the last ten years.

I don't recall Tom ever operating behind an OL this shabby. Even when things were lean for that unit Scarnecchia would get matters solved quickly.

What Zappe has is serious potential. In every area, including leadership. Impossible for me to take for granted.

He certainly has been intriguing enough to want to know more, but the sample size thus far has been too small for drawing reasonable conclusions. Apart from two passes vs. Chicago -- a stronger defense than he faced against Cleveland and Detroit -- obvious concerns began to surface. I wouldn't project "serious potential" onto him just yet. Unless BB makes a switch during the bye, Mac gets hurt or craps the bed completely, Zappe will remain an undefined commodity 'til next training camp.

Of course Zappe is more comfortable moving, he is short. Zappe has had to move his whole life to see and throw - reference the Bears 2nd half. It is either Mac (looking unlikely) or some else. The answer is not Zappe. I am surprised you can not see this.

Of course Zappe is more comfortable moving, he is short. Zappe has had to move his whole life to see and throw - reference the Bears 2nd half. It is either Mac (looking unlikely) or some else. The answer is not Zappe. I am surprised you can not see this.

I'm not claiming that Zappy is the answer; only that, based on the circumstances, he should've started vs da Bears because Mac wasn't close enough to 100% to justify making the switch... And, depending on how he looked if he didn't have to start the game in a 10-0 hole, maybe he keeps the job vs the Jete & Clots... All I know is that we might very possibly have won each of the last two games even easier if Zappy had been the QB instead of Mac.

I'm not claiming that Zappy is the answer; only that, based on the circumstances, he should've started vs da Bears because Mac wasn't close enough to 100% to justify making the switch... And, depending on how he looked if he didn't have to start the game in a 10-0 hole, maybe he keeps the job vs the Jete & Clots... All I know is that we might very possibly have won each of the last two games even easier if Zappy had been the QB instead of Mac.

Who cares? Arguments to argue. It is Mac or someone else. Zappe is fun but a backup. We need to play Mac (since he showed promise last year) and see if he can work through his issues.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back