Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If the Pats can't get a top-5 QB, who do you want?

• Davis Mills

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Kellen Mond

Votes: 34 28.8%
  • Jamie Newman

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Kyle Trask

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • other: Ian Book, KJ Costello, Sam Ehlinger, Feleipe Franks, etc.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • none of the above; wait until 2022 to draft a QB

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • none of the above; go with a vet (Cam, Jimmy G, Alex Smith, etc.)

Votes: 11 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was just about to make a new post specifically on why Mond will be the pick - maybe even in the lower 2nd rd.
This is going to be a QB-heavy 1st round, and teams will be scrambling to take shots on those "mid-round" value guys.
When turning on the tape of Mond, he has the knack that I think BB and Co. want. He anticipates, has a quick release, pocket presence, can run when necessary, but not a run-first guy (like Lance)
And the most important - he has 4 years experience - in the SEC! That's pretty rare these days that a high draft prospect has 4 years starting.
I think Mac has a chance to develop if picked on a good, stable team. But after the top 2, I'd say taking a chance on Mond is as good a risk as any QB in the draft. I truly believe our #15 pick will be defense - either Parsons or best available Edge guys.

I was just about to make a new post specifically on why Mond will be the pick - maybe even in the lower 2nd rd.
This is going to be a QB-heavy 1st round, and teams will be scrambling to take shots on those "mid-round" value guys.
When turning on the tape of Mond, he has the knack that I think BB and Co. want. He anticipates, has a quick release, pocket presence, can run when necessary, but not a run-first guy (like Lance)
And the most important - he has 4 years experience - in the SEC! That's pretty rare these days that a high draft prospect has 4 years starting.
I think Mac has a chance to develop if picked on a good, stable team. But after the top 2, I'd say taking a chance on Mond is as good a risk as any QB in the draft. I truly believe our #15 pick will be defense - either Parsons or best available Edge guys.
If we don't get one of the top5, I expect a trade down and then either a trade for a QB or a 2nd tier QB or both.

For those who want value at 15. If we don't have a QB yet, I see a very higher value in using the pick to get 2 picks, both of which might be used on QB's.

I agree. Great post. At #15 it might be tough to pass on Horn (a bit faster and stronger than Gilmore coming out) or Paye. I think Parsons will be gone, and if not, I think our LB core is OK for a few years. The D-Line is a bit weak and the secondary is getting old.

You don’t get the opportunity for more evaluation. You need a qb. You can’t make your own rules or else you end up empty handed.

There are QB's beyond the 1st round. And we have Cam/Stiddy.

There are QB's beyond the 1st round. And we have Cam/Stiddy.
The QBs we have stink. We aren’t winning with them. That is clear. The 73 QBs drafted after round 1 on the last 9 years, since Russell Wilson have won 3 playoffs games, 2 of them by a guy who is getting replaced because he is made of glass. So sure you can draft a qb after round 1 but 73 in a row haven’t cut it, not very good odds.

Last edited:
The QBs we have stink. We aren’t winning with them. That is clear. The 73 QBs drafted after round 1 on the last 9 years, since Russell Wilson have won 3 playoffs games, 2 of them by a guy who is getting replaced because he is made of glass. So sure you can draft a an after round 1 but 73 in a row haven’t cut it, not very good odds.

I very much agree that the odds on QB's in rounds 2-7 aren't very good. Where I disagree is whether the top 2-5 QB's are worth mortgaging the franchise for when I like the #6-#8 guys just as much per scouting reports and videos I have seen.

And I also believe in Newton with our upgraded cast....and feel that even if we do trade up/down/target Lance/Fields/Mond/Mills/Trask...all of them are sitting a year with the possibility of starting mid-season at best, IMO.

I very much agree that the odds on QB's in rounds 2-7 aren't very good. Where I disagree is whether the top 2-5 QB's are worth mortgaging the franchise for when I like the #6-#8 guys just as much per scouting reports and videos I have seen.
[/QUOTE]
You contradict yourself with these 2 statements.
And I also believe in Newton with our upgraded cast...
You lose any chance of me taking your opinion seriously with this statement.

More rumors now have Patriots bound to get Kellen Mond in 2nd or 3rd.

Maybe this year Patriots end up with a worst record than 7-9. Then they can get a higher draft pick in 1st round in 2022....
:yuck:

If we don't get one of the top5, I expect a trade down and then either a trade for a QB or a 2nd tier QB or both.

For those who want value at 15. If we don't have a QB yet, I see a very higher value in using the pick to get 2 picks, both of which might be used on QB's.
You're going to trade a buck for two quarters?

Maybe this year Patriots end up with a worst record than 7-9. Then they can get a higher draft pick in 1st round in 2022....
Yes, because obviously the worst case of Cam being the QB is going to lead to a worse record with a drastically improved roster and a much softer schedule.

Howell of unc is one of the best qb’s available in next year’s draft.

You're going to trade a buck for two quarters?
Clearly what is most important to some is getting the highest value for each of our draft picks, that value being determined by the value placed on players by media and posters.

Yes, I would rather have 2 quarterbacks who in total have a 25% chance of being an NFL QB (starter or backup) than to draft a CB who will be one our 3 starting CB's, and likely force us to trade Gilmore or Jackson.

Clearly what is most important to some is getting the highest value for each of our draft picks, that value being determined by the value placed on players by media and posters.

Yes, I would rather have 2 quarterbacks who in total have a 25% chance of being an NFL QB (starter or backup) than to draft a CB who will be one our 3 starting CB's, and likely force us to trade Gilmore or Jackson.
No, the point of that was the Bill very very rarely gets to draft an actual blue chipper and this is one of those times. 6 Richard Seymour. 10 Jarod Mayo. 13 Ty Warren. That's it. I'd rather have a Richard Seymour or a Jarod May than an extra second day QB.

If you won’t get the QB this year trade the picks to next year to package for a QB you aren’t winning without one.

No, the point of that was the Bill very very rarely gets to draft an actual blue chipper and this is one of those times. 6 Richard Seymour. 10 Jarod Mayo. 13 Ty Warren. That's it. I'd rather have a Richard Seymour or a Jarod May than an extra second day QB.
Seymour was because we sucked worse than we ever will. The other 2 are trading for a future 1.

If you won’t get the QB this year trade the picks to next year to package for a QB you aren’t winning without one.

i could be wrong, but didn’t Baltimore win a super bowl with dilfer?

Is newton better than dilfer?

i could be wrong, but didn’t Baltimore win a super bowl with dilfer?

Is newton better than dilfer?
yup, once every 20 years or so this might happen.

You might as well say that we should draft another GOAT in the 6th round, and win with him.
==========
Are you saying that because we have a QB at the same level as Dilfer, it follows that we don't hqave a serious QB need?

yup, once every 20 years or so this might happen.

You might as well say that we should draft another GOAT in the 6th round, and win with him.
==========
Are you saying that because we have a QB at the same level as Dilfer, it follows that we don't hqave a serious QB need?

I’m saying a strong running game, strong defense and a game manager at qb that does not turn the ball over and can make a few plays a game is a formula that can win playoff game!

If they end up worse than 7-9, then Belichick needs to step down...with this roster they should be at least 11-6.

Can't trade up to get your guy in 2021?
Trade several of the 10 picks into 2022 and amass beau coupe draft trade up capital for next year's guy.
Admittedly, I won't be watching lots of Cam debacle blowouts this season if so.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back