PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

You done messed up A-A-Ron

Lot of axe grinding going on in that article. And I believe just about all of it.

I checked out 3 different Packer forums after reading Bleacher ARod article and was surprised they were pretty evenly split pro and con against Rodgers. I expected more blind support for the greatest rated QB in NFL history. Maybe some GB fans still hold all those Aaron is gay rumors against him.

I'm sure many Packers fans see the same issues with Rodgers that we love to criticize him for (leadership qualities, relies too much on his mobility, misses reads, bails out of plays too early).

Look how hard the PatsFans board was on Brady at points this year, and on Belichick frequently. Surely Packers fans will dwell on weaknesses in their QB as much, if not more, than we do on the Pats.

Rogers is a stupid, idiotic fool who plays what he thinks is football. There’s no system in Green Bay, they refuse to create one. They have no design, no play book and no game plan. They line up and hike it and whatever happens happens.

God forbid should anyone create a system because then you won’t have any athletes, only robots who actually practice. Kinda like a trained monkey

I'm sure many Packers fans see the same issues with Rodgers that we love to criticize him for (leadership qualities, relies too much on his mobility, misses reads, bails out of plays too early).

Look how hard the PatsFans board was on Brady at points this year, and on Belichick frequently. Surely Packers fans will dwell on weaknesses in their QB as much, if not more, than we do on the Pats.
Fans usually tend to circle the wagons though when a outside source like Bleacher Report attacks their team. I was impressed that they didn' t just shut out the noise.

On one play in New England, Rodgers told St. Brown to run a post route when the play called for a flag. St. Brown ran the post, and pressure forced Rodgers to throw the ball away toward the flag—leading his position coach to grill him on what he was thinking.

St. Brown told him he was "improvising" so he didn't upset Rodgers.

Knowing what was up, McCarthy told him to stick with the routes called.

"That's when it went off the rails," the source close to the team says. "This **** was terrible. He ****ed McCarthy over. Aaron undermined him."
The Patriots did it again.

Link
What Happened in Green Bay

Unreal.

This is why when people say Rodgers could win 10 rings with Belichick... no chance, no way, no how.

Imagine BB putting up with his sh!t for even a season? Me neither.

Greg Cosell made the point that Rogers often passed up the early read and throw, then had to move around to make a 'great' throw, comapred him to an improvising jazz player. As opposed to Brady who made the correct read and got rid of the ball quickly.

I love articles like this since, I get annoyed when media clowns claim Rodgers is 'better' than TB12.

One former teammate says he thinks Rodgers should have won a minimum of six Super Bowl rings under McCarthy and that the 2011 team should be remembered like the '72 Dolphins.

These former teammates aren't exactly the brightest bunch.

Brady wants to win at all costs and will do anything for the TEAM. I was watching a game on YouTube the other day and saw him attempt to block a LB on 3 and 6... IN A GAME WE ARE WINNING BY 21... that’s the difference between the two Brady is willing to do whatever it takes to win for the team.

The other one was what James Harrison had to say about TB12 which I thought was the best.

Rodgers is extremely talented but all he cares about is $$ and himself

The only interesting rumor is how McCarthy supposedly sneaked a girl up the back stairs to his office to get private massages. I wish Kraft had done something like that instead of going to the local strip mall for his massages. ;)
When he was with the Patriots, Parcells had a woman visit him once a week at the stadium. The official word was she came to "cut his hair" but everyone knew it was for servicing his other head.

This is a good point. I’d put AR’s talent ahead of many of those players, but those QBs are NOT slouches.

Yeah, we've seen this movie before. Some of us have seen it over and over. This is Brady/Peyton. This is Montana/Marino. Hell, in a slightly different way, this is another form of Jeff George/Matthew Stafford/Brett Favre/John Elway.

Whether you look at it as the hyped talent versus the better QB, or you just look at it as the hyped talent who is a bit of his own worst enemy, the end result is the same: relative dissapointment. The QB with an underappreciated skill is often better than the underwear Olympians and can't miss prospects even though people resist acknowledging the obvious fact, and the hyped talent often either has to learn that it's not all about him or end up as a lesser player than he should have been.

And, I think in the case of Rodgers, we've got both some of column 'a' and some of column 'b'. And I don't think we needed this article to know that, as it's something that a lot of us have talked about in the past.

Last edited:
“I wouldn’t even know where to start and stop with the article,” McCarthy told Pelissero. “But to say that I skipped a team meeting for a massage is utterly absurd. I have a massage scheduled tomorrow, and I can promise you I will not miss my primary responsibility of picking up my two kids from school.”

Mike McCarthy denies he had massages during team meetings

Hate to say it - because I loved Drew Bledsoe - but the topic about the lack of camaraderie in the locker room between Drew and the lower tiered players was one of the things members of the media immediately noticed in 2001 when Brady took over and the change really brought that to light.

Don't get me wrong, Bledsoe wasn't a bad person by any means. But Brady, being a late-round pick and someone who was just a good guy and well-liked by players in the locker room, had already won most of the guys over with his funny and relatable personality, along with his work-ethic, during his rookie year, along with the fact he respected and genuinely cared about every one of them. On the other side, there was a clique-like group that Bledsoe talked to and a lot of the lower-tier players wouldn't get much time (or acknowledgement - according to reports back then) with him. Now all of a sudden one of their own in Brady was leading the team and the players immediately rallied around him.

That energy just seemed to grow each week and guys really got more confident the more they watched him play and the more the team won. When you have guys having fun and being motivated to help one of their own achieve the same goal collectively, it makes a huge difference and that's likely one of the key reasons behind seeing a team that consistently couldn't get over the hump before Brady took over (and obviously Belichick) turn around from a 5-11 season in 2000 to win a Super Bowl and go on to win 2 more of the next three. Obviously, the rest from there is history. You can argue that they went 10 years in between rings, but they haven't won fewer than 10 games since 2002 and haven't had a losing season over that same span. That's unprecedented. Rodgers hasn't enjoyed that same run. Yes, you can put some of it on McCarthy or the Packers' front office, but we've seen what Brady's done with lesser personnel. Rodgers can't make the same claim.

And despite all the success, Brady has never changed who he is and we've certainly read plenty of stories about how many no name guys are shocked when Brady takes time to come over and chat with them to see how they're doing. That's a huge deal and it's one of the reasons why this team - in my opinion - has never fallen off the rails. I understand numbers are important and Rodgers can have his "all time QB rating" record. But when you read all this stuff about how Rodgers is/was with his teammates, if he ever wonders why he hasn't won more, all he needs to do is look in the mirror. Brady's a more complete player and person on and off the field, in every sense. Period.

Last edited:
I checked out 3 different Packer forums after reading Bleacher ARod article and was surprised they were pretty evenly split pro and con against Rodgers. I expected more blind support for the greatest rated QB in NFL history. Maybe some GB fans still hold all those Aaron is gay rumors against him.

They're so Jeckyl and Hyde about him. They're calling for his release one week and then penning articles about him being the GOAT in sports history the next (after a last minute comeback to beat a 2-7 team at home.)

Hate to say it - because I loved Drew Bledsoe - but the topic about the lack of camaraderie in the locker room between Drew and the lower tiered players was one of the things members of the media immediately noticed in 2001 when Brady took over and the change really brought that to light.

Don't get me wrong, Bledsoe wasn't a bad person by any means. But Brady, being a late-round pick and someone who was just a good guy and well-liked by players in the locker room, had already won most of the guys over with his funny and relatable personality, along with his work-ethic, during his rookie year, along with the fact he respected and genuinely cared about every one of them. On the other side, there was a clique-like group that Bledsoe talked to and a lot of the lower-tier players wouldn't get much time (or acknowledgement - according to reports back then) with him. Now all of a sudden one of their own in Brady was leading the team and the players immediately rallied around him.

That energy just seemed to grow each week and guys really got more confident the more they watched him play and the more the team won. When you have guys having fun and being motivated to help one of their own achieve the same goal collectively, it makes a huge difference and that's likely one of the key reasons behind seeing a team that consistently couldn't get over the hump before Brady took over (and obviously Belichick) turn around from a 5-11 season in 2000 to win a Super Bowl and go on to win 2 more of the next three. Obviously, the rest from there is history. You can argue that they went 10 years in between rings, but they haven't won fewer than 10 games since 2002 and haven't had a losing season over that same span. That's unprecedented. Rodgers hasn't enjoyed that same run. Yes, you can put some of it on McCarthy or the Packers' front office, but we've seen what Brady's done with lesser personnel. Rodgers can't make the same claim.

And despite all the success, Brady has never changed who he is and we've certainly read plenty of stories about how many no name guys are shocked when Brady takes time to come over and chat with them to see how they're doing. That's a huge deal and it's one of the reasons why this team - in my opinion - has never fallen off the rails. I understand numbers are important and Rodgers can have his "all time QB rating" record. But when you read all this stuff about how Rodgers is/was with his teammates, if he ever wonders why he hasn't won more, all he needs to do is look in the mirror. Brady's a more complete player and person on and off the field, in every sense. Period.
I have an anecdote to share that in a small way reinforces this. About 10 years ago I was at a preseason game and was among those chosen to be on the field as part of a "fan appreciation" event. There were a few dozen of us, each one given a red throwback jersey and we lined up single-file along the Pats sideline just prior to the players coming out before kickoff. The players walked along the line of fans shaking hands with us (I remember shaking hands with Wes Welker and thinking how short he was) ... Then Brady walked over with a big smile on his face and said, "How you doin' guys!" I was impressed by how genuine he sounded -- like he truly was just as excited as we were and wanted us to feel welcomed. It was so cool because he didn't have to do that, he just really wanted to. Then BB walked by not even looking at us but he apparently had other things on his mind. ;)

Ian,you remember when Rucci and Lane got those guaranteed multi-million dollar contracts because they were Bedsore's best buddies? And then Grier blew 29 of 32 draft picks over the next two years? We used to complain about this 24/7 on the original Patsfans forum you had. I had a press pass back then and attended practices during preseason. I SAW Bledsoe throw frozen ropes 20,30,40, 50 yards yet completely bungle the 5 yard flip to the back coming out of the backfield. Over and over and over and over. I watched Parcells almost stroke out one afternoon as Bledsoe missed dozens of safety valve throws. Belichick KNEW this when he was with the Jets, stuff the wideouts and force him to throw short or dumpoff and the three and outs would come like a waterfall. No wonder when BB became head coach, he went in an untried direction at QB, one that was scoffed at by the rank and file sports reporters. BB was not only right, he traded Blesoe to our direct competitor at the time, the Bills and the howls from the press could be heard on Altair 4. Tell me, what happened? We all saw it.

You know who threw a sh!tty long pass? Jim Kelly. He drove the Bills to four straight bowls on 50% completion to his WR's and about 95% completion rate to Thurman Thomas. Jim Kelly had the Giants beat in the "wide right!" Super Bowl and BB was the D coach for the GMen...he witnessed how utterly effective the K Gun was. I think that's why he had no qualms going with Brady in 2001. You controlo your offense and sustain drives, you control the game. End.Of. Story.

I've always thought Rodgers was incredibly unlikeable... stuff like this just peels the onion back further revealing why that is

That article made everyone look bad, from the coach to the QB to the insider sources to the ex players to the ex coaches to the fans to the author.

It's rare that you can find such a juxtaposition. I don't know whether to break it all down or just say "Clown show. Thank God for Brady not being Rodgers" and move on.
I didn’t read it and I’m not planning to, but if what you say is correct, and I have no doubt that it is, you are right. Rarely does an author (and, by extension, inside sources) get self-immolated by the dumpster fire he lit....
Seriously. It's like saying, "With all his talent, Sidney Crosby should score 900 goals in his career." No, he shouldn't, because NO ONE has done that. The standard should never be something no one's ever done before.
Besides, Crosby’s not that good, and a whiner to boot.
Now, Orr, in the other hand, coulda scored 900 ...with two good knees.

Back to topic.....

Uh, what now? an offensive coordinator made the choice for the #1 overall pick? Come on bleacher report, you just lost all credibility, as if you had any to begin with. But I'll keep reading this opinionated entertainment piece because **** Aaron "We beat ourselves" Rodgers.

Ty Dunne is a good writer. I think if anything people should not pay too much attention to specific things he heard from sources and wrote about but the overall picture painted.

It reminds me of that “drama in Foxboro” piece by ESPN around last years playoffs. People paid way too much attention to individual stories and then dismissed the overall narrative because of it.

Hell even Bedard kinda confirmed the Rodgers issue today.

And I am the last to pay much attention to what he is saying but in this case he actually has first hand knowledge from covering GB.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back