PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye Olde 2013 Mock Draft Thread!! *

Time For another effort. For the purposes of this mock, I'm assuming a conditional pick in the fourth round:

Pick #1

Jonathan Cooper, OL, UNC

1ak74A.Em.156.jpeg

Fast becoming my favoured choice for our first overall pick. Good pass blocker and gets excellent movement in the run game, getting to the second level easily. Also has plenty of experience with 35 starts.

Pick #2

Cornelius Carradine, DE, Florida State

TankCarradine-420x370.jpg

Tall, long-armed, there's a bit of Chandler Jones in Tank Carradine and at 265 lbs, has the size BB likes in his Defensive Ends.

Pick #3

Jordan Reed, TE, Florida

ReedJordan_101127_8681_TCasey.jpg

What a fuss when Aaron Hernandez went injured, all sorts of roster connotations followed. Reed looks like an ideal backup to Hernandez with enough receiving skills to be worthy of a place in his own right. Good hands, runs well with the ball in his hands and is a willing and good blocker.

Pick #4

Stedman Bailey, WR, West Virginia

1STEDMAN-BAILEY-TD-CATCH.jpg

Good hands, excellent speed and has good YAC ability. Doesn't have the size for a typical outside receiver but with the Pats passing game being about short receptions and YAC, I think Bailey is an ideal fit for the Pats system. Should get work as a returner too.

Pick #5

Jake Knott, LB, Iowa State

5961988-LAS-NEBRASKA-IOWA-STATE-FOOTBALL-11_06_2010-20.08.58.jpg

There's not a lot of depth behind Hightower, Spikes and Mayo and whilst Knott isn't the typical big MLB that Belichick likes he's good enough a run defender to serve as a backup to the big 3. Where Knott's strength lies is in pass defense where he excels with the height to defend TE's and the speed to defend RB's in the passing game.

Pick #6

Tanner Hawkinson, OT, Kansas

346-kupractice_sp_20090811_slk_129f_08-25-2009_r81b6pid.standalone.prod_affiliate.81.jpg

An athletic former TE offensive tackle with plenty of experience and a team captain. If you were writing down the perfect Pats pick for an OT, Tanner Hawkinson fits the bill. The knock on him is that he lacks the strength to start in the NFL but he's still building size (has added 70lbs in College already). He has the feel of an ideal Patriots OT and should serve as an excellent backup to Solder and Vollmer and I can see him being used extensively as a blocking TE. Would be excellent value in the 7th round where he's currently being projected.

Now if only I can find a way to fit Kyle Fuller in....

Tremendous Work, here, Brother Manx!! :rocker:

Sorry I didn't give a shout out, earlier: I've been fighting a vicious battle with a Cold, since the moment I woke up, Monday, and've consequently been operating well below Capacity. :p

Just a quick mock

1. Barrett Jones, C Alabama - Plugs any interior line spot day one.

2. Dion Jordan, DE Oregon - The ultimate chess piece.

3. Robert Woods, WR USC - Falls to the third round after eating some very special Belichick Brownies.

4. The best S or CB available depending on what is a bigger need in April. It could be Daimion Stafford, S Nebraska or Kyle Fuller, CB Virginia Tech

5. Blaize Foltz, OG TCU - Big upside guard prospect with prototypical size

6. Quinton Dial, DT Alabama - This guy is good. He’s not going to be a late rounder come April, but he is now.

7. Zach Boren, FB OSU - He has some blocking skills, some receiving skills and plays for Urban Meyer.

UDFA: MarQueis Gray, QB Minnesota & Ray Ray Armstrong, S

Just a quick mock

3. Robert Woods, WR USC - Falls to the third round after eating some very special Belichick Brownies.

4. The best S or CB available depending on what is a bigger need in April. It could be Daimion Stafford, S Nebraska or Kyle Fuller, CB Virginia Tech

6. Quinton Dial, DT Alabama - This guy is good. He’s not going to be a late rounder come April, but he is now.

7. Zach Boren, FB OSU - He has some blocking skills, some receiving skills and plays for Urban Meyer.

Stafford would have the same impact in this D that Spikes does
Daimion Stafford lights up UTC running back - YouTube

I like Jeffcoat because he has the NFL pedigree and his dad was a DE coach for the Cowboys and DL coach for the Texans.
Bill Belichick likes his 3-4 outside linebackers/4-3 defensive ends to be able to set the edge. The Oklahoma State offense had success running left against the Texas defense this past weekend. I prefer Okafor to Jeffcoat, since Okafor can set the edge and also bull rush the offensive tackle.

Based upon the first four games of the 2012 NFL Season:

1st Round: Alex Okafor, DE - Texas
2nd Round: Jonathan Cooper, OG - North Carolina
3rd Round: Josh Boyd, DT - Mississippi State
4th Round: Matt Elam, SS - Florida
7th Round: Best available offensive tackle

Comments:

(1) Left defensive end is the highest draft priority (sorry Ninkovich fans)
(2) Logan Mankins and Dan Connolly will be 31 years old next season
(3) Patriots only have three defensive tackles under contract next season
(4) Not a fan of Steven Gregory, hence the Matt Elam selection

Manxman is going to love this!

MHTK I love your mock. I know most will think Woods in the 3rd is crazy but I can see it happening. He isn't the primary receiver for Matt Barkley anymore with Marqise Lee the main guy now, and I think he is still pretty raw. Having said that I still think he goes first two rounds, but a drop certainly isn't out of the question.

I really like the Quinton Dial pick. A former highly rated JUCO guy who is starting to put it together on a stacked Bama defense. I personally prefer his teammate Square, but I'll happily take either. I think they are both in the same situation where they will get overlooked because of the talent around them and fall much lower than they should.

I am also very intrigued by Stafford. He has a very interesting story and history, and is certainly a hard worker and talented player.

NU's Stafford gets past bumps on road to success

I've quickly re-done my mock and its mostly the same as last time, with a few extra board binkies in there. And I once again had to be a litte creative to fit all my guys in there

Tag and Trade Wes Welker for a 3rd and 4th
Compensation pick in the 4th for Mark Anderson
Make some minor moves throughout to turn our 7th into a 5th

1. OL- Barrett Jones-Alabama/Chance Warmack- Alabama
We need help at interior offensive line, either at RG or C. I like both of these guys and would happily take either, but if they are both gone by the 32nd pick I would look to trade down a bit and grab Jonathan Cooper or Dallas Thomas. Maybe even a WR or S depending on who is available.

2. OLB- Dion Jordan- Oregon
For my last mock I changed this to CJ Mosley, who I think is the better football player. But Jordan is such a freak athlete and matchup nightmare that I had to put him in. The versatility he would offer would be immense, but I don’t see him as a 3 down player, early on anyway.

3a. S- Lamarcus Joyner- Florida State
Manx, you sold me on Joyner. I love his style of play, attitude and skill set, but I am a little concerned about his size (which is the only real knock on him). He isn’t a guy that you will be able to match up against TE’s and he may struggle a bit downfield against bigger WR’s, but he has the skills to cope. As long as we keep the two deep safety look I think he would be a great fit.

3b. WR- Marcus Davis- Virginia Tech
I’ve been wanting a big, physical outside WR for the past few years and that desire won’t change. While there isn’t a Julio Jones or Alshon Jeffery that I love this year, I think Davis could be the guy. He has good size, great athleticism and big play ability, but he is still raw and needs to develop.

4a. DT- Kwame Geathers- Georgia
I’ve had Geathers in all of my mocks, but to be honest it’s more about size than production thus far. You just can’t teach 6’6” 350, so in the 4th round I would take him.

4b.TE- Michael Williams- Alabama
My Ultimate Binkie, the perfect Patriot

4c. RT- Seantrel Henderson- Miami
As a pure RT I think Henderson has the most upside in the draft. Elite size and good athleticism, if he can stay healthy he has the potential to be an All-Pro. We certainly need some insurance for Vollmer.

5. DL- Damion Square- Alabama
Ninko is obviously one of the weak links of the defense at the moment, and while I would love another Chandler Jones on the left side, I don’t think that elite edge guy is necessary. I think Square is hugely underrated and would be a perfect fit as an early down two-gap LDE, who shifts inside to rush on passing downs. While I’m not comparing their skills, I think Justin Tuck’s role is what I would envision for Square, who would then allow for Cunningham, Bequette and Jordan to rush from the outside on passing downs.

MHTK I love your mock. I know most will think Woods in the 3rd is crazy but I can see it happening. He isn't the primary receiver for Matt Barkley anymore with Marqise Lee the main guy now, and I think he is still pretty raw. Having said that I still think he goes first two rounds, but a drop certainly isn't out of the question.

I really like the Quinton Dial pick. A former highly rated JUCO guy who is starting to put it together on a stacked Bama defense. I personally prefer his teammate Square, but I'll happily take either. I think they are both in the same situation where they will get overlooked because of the talent around them and fall much lower than they should.

I am also very intrigued by Stafford. He has a very interesting story and history, and is certainly a hard worker and talented player.

NU's Stafford gets past bumps on road to success

I've quickly re-done my mock and its mostly the same as last time, with a few extra board binkies in there. And I once again had to be a litte creative to fit all my guys in there

Tag and Trade Wes Welker for a 3rd and 4th
Compensation pick in the 4th for Mark Anderson
Make some minor moves throughout to turn our 7th into a 5th

1. OL- Barrett Jones-Alabama/Chance Warmack- Alabama
We need help at interior offensive line, either at RG or C. I like both of these guys and would happily take either, but if they are both gone by the 32nd pick I would look to trade down a bit and grab Jonathan Cooper or Dallas Thomas. Maybe even a WR or S depending on who is available.

2. OLB- Dion Jordan- Oregon
For my last mock I changed this to CJ Mosley, who I think is the better football player. But Jordan is such a freak athlete and matchup nightmare that I had to put him in. The versatility he would offer would be immense, but I don’t see him as a 3 down player, early on anyway.

3a. S- Lamarcus Joyner- Florida State
Manx, you sold me on Joyner. I love his style of play, attitude and skill set, but I am a little concerned about his size (which is the only real knock on him). He isn’t a guy that you will be able to match up against TE’s and he may struggle a bit downfield against bigger WR’s, but he has the skills to cope. As long as we keep the two deep safety look I think he would be a great fit.

3b. WR- Marcus Davis- Virginia Tech
I’ve been wanting a big, physical outside WR for the past few years and that desire won’t change. While there isn’t a Julio Jones or Alshon Jeffery that I love this year, I think Davis could be the guy. He has good size, great athleticism and big play ability, but he is still raw and needs to develop.

4a. DT- Kwame Geathers- Georgia
I’ve had Geathers in all of my mocks, but to be honest it’s more about size than production thus far. You just can’t teach 6’6” 350, so in the 4th round I would take him.

4b.TE- Michael Williams- Alabama
My Ultimate Binkie, the perfect Patriot

4c. RT- Seantrel Henderson- Miami
As a pure RT I think Henderson has the most upside in the draft. Elite size and good athleticism, if he can stay healthy he has the potential to be an All-Pro. We certainly need some insurance for Vollmer.

5. DL- Damion Square- Alabama
Ninko is obviously one of the weak links of the defense at the moment, and while I would love another Chandler Jones on the left side, I don’t think that elite edge guy is necessary. I think Square is hugely underrated and would be a perfect fit as an early down two-gap LDE, who shifts inside to rush on passing downs. While I’m not comparing their skills, I think Justin Tuck’s role is what I would envision for Square, who would then allow for Cunningham, Bequette and Jordan to rush from the outside on passing downs.

I'm glad I sold you on Joyner. Now there's no problem with Marcus Davis, he's a perfectly good prospect but have you taken a look at Quinton Patton as an alternative? Has an NFL body and is putting up some good numbers this year.

Nice mock.

Just a quick mock

I'm seeing a lot of talk on twitter suggesting that Dion Jordan will be a top 10 or top 15 pick overall ultimately. Makes sense if you think about it, Melvin Ingram was a top 20 pick overall based almost entirely on his athleticism. And yet Jordan is more athletic and doesn't have T-Rex arms like Ingram - quite the opposite. He's the draft love child of Melvin Ingram and Chandler Jones.

Comments:

Manxman is going to love this!

I sure do, they're all prospects I've looked at closely and like a lot, and although I haven't reaslly talked about Okafor, even he's one I've identified (to myself) as almost the ideal DE type for our system although I have him behind Carradine on my personal wishlist. Would be an excellent mock.

Comments:

1. Agree about de being the top priority for now. Safety is moving up with Chung's suspect play. Not really true about DT. We have Wilfork, Love and Deaderick. McClain has been picked up and Fortson made it to the practice squad. They will probably be more likely to contribute next year than a mid-round draft pick.

2. Shane Hallem from draft countdown has a 2 round mock out. Has us taking Cooper at 30. Magnus Hunt at 62. Gholston is on board at 30. Could go there. He has Chance Warmack going 58. I'd take him at 30. In the real draft. He goes before we pick. Even though I'm not big on drafting guards that early. Hell, look how Connolly and Donald Thomas did Sunday. He has Dion Jordan going 61. Right before us to SF. Warmack and a slight trade up for Jordan would be sweet.

Shane's 2 round Mock (Week 4-5) - Draft Countdown Forums

1. Agree about de being the top priority for now. Safety is moving up with Chung's suspect play. Not really true about DT. We have Wilfork, Love and Deaderick. McClain has been picked up and Fortson made it to the practice squad. They will probably be more likely to contribute next year than a mid-round draft pick.
I'm not on sold either on McClain and Forston long term.

2. Shane Hallem from draft countdown has a 2 round mock out. Has us taking Cooper at 30. Magnus Hunt at 62. Gholston is on board at 30. Could go there. He has Chance Warmack going 58. I'd take him at 30. In the real draft. He goes before we pick. Even though I'm not big on drafting guards that early. Hell, look how Connolly and Donald Thomas did Sunday. He has Dion Jordan going 61. Right before us to SF. Warmack and a slight trade up for Jordan would be sweet.
Don't really care for Hunt or Gholston. Okafor and Carradine are my two favorite defensive ends for the New England Patriots defense.

Chance Warmack will go first round and is currently rated 15th overall by NFL Draft Scout.

NFL Draft - 2013 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Donald Thomas will be an unrestricted free agent in 2013. Donald Thomas was pathetic against Arizona and competent against Buffalo. The New England Patiots offensive line requires an infusion of youth at the guard position.

I predict Dion Jordan in 2013 will be the Bruce Irvin in 2012, shooting up the boards late in the draft evaluation process.

Gholston is on board at 30.
WalterFootball.com: 2013 NFL Draft Stock - Week 5

2012 NFL Draft Stock Down

William Gholston, DE, Michigan State

I'm sorry to keep piling on the Spartans prospects, and I know there fans will flood my inbox, but Gholston (6-7, 278) is one of the most disappointing draft prospects this year. He has shown no improvement from his sophomore season and actually seems to have regressed.

He was a ghost on any play that the Buckeyes blocked him. The only plays he flashed were when he was left completely unblocked. Gholston's pass rush is weak. He has no repertoire of moves and is wasting a nice physical skill set. With his strength, there is no reason for him not to have developed a club move or a rip move. All Gholston does is bull rush and his pad level is horrible. He stands up too high and tackles can easily stop it.

In response to my post on Twitter @draftcampbell that Gholston has no pass-rushing moves and looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane, forum member Blue tweeted to me "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Vernon." There are a lot of similarities between the cousins, but at least Vernon had big sack production in college.

William, on the other hand, has only one sack this season and it came against Central Michigan. He's totaled 18 tackles and four tackles for a loss, but half of his TFLs came against Central Michigan. Gholston should return for his senior season. He looks like his only fit in the NFL right now would be as a 3-4 defensive end who can occupy blockers. Gholston doesn't make enough plays to be a 4-3 defensive end.

Gholston just may be the most overrated prospect in the country.

I'm not on sold either on McClain and Forston long term.

Don't really care for Hunt or Gholston. Okafor and Carradine are my two favorite defensive ends for the New England Patriots defense.

Chance Warmack will go first round and is currently rated 15th overall by NFL Draft Scout.

Donald Thomas will be an unrestricted free agent in 2013. Donald Thomas was pathetic against Arizona and competent against Buffalo. The New England Patiots offensive line requires an infusion of youth at the guard position.

I predict Dion Jordan in 2013 will be the Bruce Irvin in 2012, shooting up the boards late in the draft evaluation process.

I'd take Cornelius "Tank" Carradine over Margus Hunt as a LDE at this point. He's not in Hallam's mock. Of course, Dion Jordan goes #61 one pick ahead of us, and I'd kill for Jordan. It's hard to argue wit the Jonathan Cooper pick, but I'd personally take Jesse Williams (#42 in Hallam's mock).

With the way the season's been playing out so far, I'm looking at the first 3 rounds like this:

1st-Barrett Jones-We will see if he makes it to our pick, but if he does, we could certainly use a versatile lineman with the injuries that keep creeping up on us.

2nd-Shawn Williams-I'm with the majority on Chung's lack of inspiring play. He has the ability to turn things around, but if its not been injuries with him, its been inconsistency. A lot of safeties are going to be floating around in the first couple rounds, but I really like this guy from Georgia. He's the hard hitter that you want in your strong safety, but can cover as well.

3rd-Brandon Jenkins-I don't see him coming out this year, but if he does he's the kind of guy who could fall right into our hands. We haven't seen anything from Bequette this year, and Cunningham is better, but I'd be happy with an upgrade.

We are also looking to be in the market for another corner as Ras-I doesn't have anything going his way so far in his young career, and Arrington can't cover.

i think its a bit too soon to put out how i would like to see the draft play out, but its not too soon to evaluate our needs and the players I like. but i will only list guys i think will be available when the pats are picking. the players listed range from early- late rounds

WR- Tavon Austin, Tavarres King, Aaron Dobson
G/C-Larry Warford,
DE-Dion Jordan, Alex Okafor, Jackson Jeffcoat, wes horton
DT- Everett Dawkins
CB- greg reid, demontre hurst, brandon mcgee
s-eric reid, tj mcdonald, tony jefferson, john boyett

Revised Quarterly Report 2013 Mock Draft:

Trade First Round Draft Selection to the Miami Dolphins for the Second and Third Round Draft Selections:

2nd Round: Jesse Williams, DT - Alabama
2nd Round: Cornelius Carradine, DE - Florida State
3rd Round: Gabe Jackson, OG - Mississippi State
3rd Round: Shawn Williams, SS - Georgia
4th Round: James Hurst, OT - North Carolina
7th Round: Rontez Miles, SS - California (PA)

NFL Draft Scout Ratings (overall)

Jesse Williams - 38
Cornelius Carradine - 66
Gabe Jackson - 86
Shawn Williams - 99
James Hurst - 151
Rontez Miles - 309

The basis for the aforementioned draft was the departure of the following defensive unrestricted free agents:

Ron Brace
Myron Pryor
Trevor Scott
Kyle Arrington
Patrick Chung

Shawn Williams | Georgia, SS : 2013 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

Trade First Round Draft Selection to the Miami Dolphins for the Second and Third Round Draft Selections:

Jesse Williams - 38
Cornelius Carradine - 66
Gabe Jackson - 86
Shawn Williams - 99
James Hurst - 151
Rontez Miles - 309

The basis for the aforementioned draft was the departure of the following defensive unrestricted free agents:

Ron Brace
Myron Pryor
Trevor Scott
Kyle Arrington
Patrick Chung

Shawn Williams*|*Georgia,*SS*:*2013 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

LOVE IT!

You know how I feel about Jesse Williams and Tank Carradine. James Hurst is a solid rotational tackle. And I've been meaning to post on Gabe Jackson for a while now. He's a junior, but if he declares he'll be high on my list of 2nd-3rd round OG prospects for the Pats. He's a beast in the Brian Waters mold.

Jesse Williams - 38
Cornelius Carradine - 66
Gabe Jackson - 86
Shawn Williams - 99
James Hurst - 151
Rontez Miles - 309

Ron Brace
Myron Pryor
Trevor Scott
Kyle Arrington
Patrick Chung

Shawn Williams*|*Georgia,*SS*:*2013 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

That's a really strong draft. If it panned out that way, I'd be overjoyed. Good work sir:)

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back