PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Ye Olde 2013 Mock Draft Thread!! *

Off The Grid

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Hah!! SCREW this "wait until October" nonsense!!
jester.gif

Today IS the first official day of the 2013 Draft Season, and I say: Let's fire it UP, Brothers!! :rocker:

And who better to start things off than the man, the legend...Brother Mayo!! :D

MayoClinic's Inaugural 2013 Mock Draft ~ V1.0!!

Here's an absurdly early attempt at a 2013 mock for the Patriots. As I see it, some potential areas to address include:

1. DT. Vince Wilfork will be 31 and has been playing an increasing number of snaps. Age and playing time make him susceptible to injury. As the Grantland article suggess, he is the key to making it all happen. The 2013 draft class is potentially loaded at the DT position (depending on which underclassmen declare), and an extra wide body in the middle would also help with 4-3, 4-2-5 and 2-4-5 schemes.

2. TE/WR. I personally ALWAYS prefer TEs to WRs, as they have more versatility. And Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez will be going into contract years. The 2013 TE class is potentially loaded, again depending on the underclassmen. Most people will consider WR a more obvious need, with a bunch of veterans and only Brandon Lloyd currently signed beyond 2013. I'm not a big fan of drafting WRs high, and would wait until day 2 or 3.

3. OG/C. Brian Waters will likely retire after 2012. Dan Koppen is nearing the end of the line, and Logan Mankins and Dan Connolly are over 30.

The Patriots currently have only 5 picks for 2013, in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 7th rounds. I'm also going to assume that the Pats somehow get an extra 2013 2nd or 3rd round pick - possibly by trading Brian Hoyer before the trade deadline. Someone will be QB needy, and will jump at the opportunity to get the inside track on signing Hoyer before he comes a FA. If Ryan Mallett continues to develop, Hoyer is expendable, and he will likely want to go somewhere where he has a chance to start in 2013. I'm also guessing that BB will trade a player or two during training camp for a late round pick. In any case, I'm only going to address the first 4 rounds here. Finally, I'm also assuming that the Pats pick 31/32 in each round.

With those assumptions, here's my VERY early take at 2013 (underclassmen with an *):

*** Trade: The Pats trade #31/32 plus whatever they acquire for Brian Hoyer (or some other player trade) to move up in the first round to around 16-22, depending on the compensation.

1. Star Lotulelei, DL, Utah. 6'3" 325#.

694995.jpg

Super Beast! Star Lotulelei is the closet thing in years to another Haloti Ngata, and his play on the field (unlike Dontari Poe) backs it up. He is a massive tackle with an exceptional combination of core strength, explosiveness and agility. The 2012 Pac-12 defensive lineman of the year, Lotulelei is a high character prospect who chose not to come out in 2012 in order to get his degree. He is fundamentally solid, and a smart player. He showcased his athleticism on a fake punt against Cal, catching a 17 yard reception:

STAR-combo1.jpg%20

Lotulelei is my early 2013 1st round binky, along with Alabama OL Barrett Jones. It's a tough call between the two, but this mock goes with the DT and waits to later to take an interior lineman. It would be perfectly reasonable to go the other way, though. I proposed the trade because I can't see Lotulelei lasting to the late 1st round, but the Pats could easily "stand pat" and take one of the other DTs or an OL at 31/32 and use the extra pick (again, assuming they can get one).

Alternatives:

1. Johnathan Hankins*, DT, Ohio St. 6'3" 330#. Athletic DT who can push the pocket. With Urban Meyer and Mike Vrabel at OSU, BB will no doubt be wel informed.

2. Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama. 6'4" 330#. An Australian and JUCO product, Williams is a behemoth with massive strength and a warrior mentality - 330# of pure muscle, a weight room fanatic with extraordinary core strength and explosiveness, and sub-5.00 40 speed. A former rugby player, Williams is athletic enough to play anywhere on the DL in 3-4 and 4-3 formations.

3. Kwame Geathers / John Jenkins, Georgia. 6'5" 350# (Geathers), 6'3" 340# (Jenkins). Both guys are massive DTs with exceptional footwork and movement skills for their size. Geathers could be another Ted Washington.

Given the depth of the position and the talent that I see coming out in 2013, one or more of these guys should be within reach, if not available at 31/32.

2. Levine Toilolo*, TE, Stanford. 6'8" 263#.

a9f29b3ca1f6431fb31462bb5712a788.jpg%20

Beast! Scouts considered Coby Fleener to be only the 3rd best pro TE prospect that Stanford had in 2011, after Toilolo and Zach Ertz (6'6" 254#). Levine Toilolo is a massive, towering TE with exceptional movement skills who will be an elite red zone target and instant mismatch.

Rob Gronkowski will be in a contract year in 2013. I think that Aaron Hernandez can be extended for Jermichael Finley money (around $8M/year), but Gronk will break the bank, and may get the franchise tag for 2014. A TE like Toilolo would provide an insurance policy. He wold also give the Pats a tremendous weapon in addiition to Gronk and Ahern in his own right. Toilolo is a redshirt junior, who missed his sophomore season with a knee injury. He had only 25 receptions in 2011 as the third TE of Stanford's troika, but 6 TDs. He will share time with Zach Ertz in 2012.

Alternatives:

1. Michael Williams, TE, Alabama. 6'6" 270#. Michael Williams is a physical monster at 270#, with tremendous physicality and core strength. He is a crushing blocker, who also has deceptive speed and the ability to get open and stretch the field.

2. Joseph Fauria, TE, UCLA. 6'7" 258#. Another massive TE, the nephew of former Patriot TE Christian Fauria.

3. Philip Lutzenkirchen, TE, Auburn. 6'5" 250#.

Like DT, 2013 is likely to be very deep and talented at the TE position. In addition to these guys, Notre Dame's Tyler Eifert and Stanford's Zach Ertz will likely go high. Someone will slip a bit.

3. Mario Benavides, OG/C, Louisville 6'4" 301#.

f2dbcdb7d25d4a58b9b25ae9696456f6.jpg%20

Sleeper Beast! Benavides brings experience, versatility, size, power and processing speed to the center position. He is a 3 year starter who is a tough, durable, smart, mature player with a bit of nasty disposition. He has played through several injuries, and is a leader on the Cardinal's offensive line. The best Louisville OL prospect since Eric Woods in 2009.

With Dan Koppen at the end of his career, the Pats take advantage of a deep OC class to take Benavides in the 3rd round. As discussed above, Barrett Jones would have been my first choice, but he will go in the first round, and DT was a higher priority for me in this mock. USCs Khaled Homes is probably also a late 1st/early 2nd prospect. It's entirely possible that the Pats go OL with someone like Jones in the 1st round and then DT in the second with someone like Jesse Williams or John Jenkins.

4. Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson. 5'10" 190#.

1stQedits043_t607.jpg

Sleeper Beast! OK, I'm obviously throwing darts here. But with Danny Woodhead in a contract year, Ellington is a versatile "flex back" who can line up at RB or WR and make plays all over the field. He runs more aggressively inside than his size would indicate.

Alternatives: Too many to possibly enumerate at this early time.

The 3rd and 4th round picks could easily be switched, depending on how player valuations change over time. I believe both Benavides and Ellington were given mid-round projections for 2012 by the Draft Advisory Committee.

Again, this is absurdly early, and is intended more as "food for thought" than anything else.

We should get a couple of comp picks shouldn't we? We lost BJGE and didn't sign a rb to replace him. A 5th?? We should get one for Mark Anderson de/olb. We only signed vet minimum T. Scott. He signed for a lot more than BJGE. A 4th?? Agree about dt/de as our biggest need.

We should get a couple of comp picks shouldn't we? We lost BJGE and didn't sign a rb to replace him. A 5th?? We should get one for Mark Anderson de/olb. We only signed vet minimum T. Scott. He signed for a lot more than BJGE. A 4th?? Agree about dt/de as our biggest need.

I'm sure you're absolutely right!! Anderson warrants at least a 4th, and possibly a 3rd, for all I know...Green?? Eh...A 6th or a 7th, I expect, but probably knocked off because of Scott...

As it stands, we have a 1, 2, 3, 4, and 7.

I have a ranking of the top 190 or so junior and senior prospects for 2013 that I downloaded so I'll use that as a guide for a four round mock.

Pick One

Star Lotulelei and Barrett Jones are the obvious first round options for the Pats but neither will make it to pick 32 :rocker: . So BB will get back to his traditional draft approach and re-start the process of accumulating picks. So with the first round pick the Patriots trade back in to the second picking up a 2014 first or second.

Pick Two (via whomever)

Eric Reid, S, LSU

images

I wonder if my safety obsession will translate from Barron to Reid. Eric Reid was a close second to Mark Barron as far as I'm concerned when I watched games last year. Currently my favourite eligible safety.

Pick Three (Our own second rounder)

Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU

images

Your first two 2013 draft picks side by side. The fact that he's a slot corner only will likely mean he drops. He will be a potent weapon on a defense and I'd love to see how BB could use him.

Pick Four

Will likely require a bit of a trade up towards the top of the third round.

Philip Lutzenkirchen, TE, Auburn

images

I said in the other 2013 thread that he has a bit of the Gronk about him. Check out this clip:

Lutzenkirchen's One-handed Grab (Auburn) - YouTube

Gronk!!!!

The reality is, both TE's will be out of contract at the end of the 2013 season. Can we re-sign both? Lutzenkirchen looks like an ideal replacement.

Pick Five (Fourth Round)

James Ferentz, OC, Iowa

images

I have no idea how good he is. But with that lineage, you just know he'll be linked with us at some stage next year. So I'm getting in there first.

Pick Six (4th round compensatory)

Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia

images

If there was one guy that stood out to me as much as Barron last year, it was this kid. An undersized linebacker but he was all over the field when I watched Georgia and was consistently making plays. Unfortunately I believe he misses the first five games of next season so I'll have to wait to get my Ogletree fix.

I reserve the right to amend this mock (some few hundred times) and should not be held to account on it. :D

I have a ranking of the top 190 or so junior and senior prospects for 2013 that I downloaded so I'll use that as a guide for a four round mock.

Pick One

Star Lotulelei and Barrett Jones are the obvious first round options for the Pats but neither will make it to pick 32 :rocker: . So BB will get back to his traditional draft approach and re-start the process of accumulating picks. So with the first round pick the Patriots trade back in to the second picking up a 2014 first or second.

Pick Two (via whomever)

Eric Reid, S, LSU

images

I wonder if my safety obsession will translate from Barron to Reid. Eric Reid was a close second to Mark Barron as far as I'm concerned when I watched games last year. Currently my favourite eligible safety.

Pick Three (Our own second rounder)

Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU

images

Your first two 2013 draft picks side by side. The fact that he's a slot corner only will likely mean he drops. He will be a potent weapon on a defense and I'd love to see how BB could use him.

Pick Four

Will likely require a bit of a trade up towards the top of the third round.

Philip Lutzenkirchen, TE, Auburn

images

I said in the other 2013 thread that he has a bit of the Gronk about him. Check out this clip:

Lutzenkirchen's One-handed Grab (Auburn) - YouTube

Gronk!!!!

The reality is, both TE's will be out of contract at the end of the 2013 season. Can we re-sign both? Lutzenkirchen looks like an ideal replacement.

Pick Five (Fourth Round)

James Ferentz, OC, Iowa

images

I have no idea how good he is. But with that lineage, you just know he'll be linked with us at some stage next year. So I'm getting in there first.

images

If there was one guy that stood out to me as much as Barron last year, it was this kid. An undersized linebacker but he was all over the field when I watched Georgia and was consistently making plays. Unfortunately I believe he misses the first five games of next season so I'll have to wait to get my Ogletree fix.

I reserve the right to amend this mock (some few hundred times) and should not be held to account on it. :D

A beautifull effort, Brother!! :rocker:

And No Limit On Refills!! :D

Can someone fill me in on the deal with brother Mayo? I know he was here a couple years back, then he left here for the other site... then he disappeared from there, and other than one outlier post stating Vontae Davis is the best defensive player in the draft, OTG now posts for him (at least his mocks.) Is Mayo the Robin Masters to OTG's Jonathan Higgins (Magnum PI reference)? Is he a real person?

I think that Aaron Hernandez can be extended for Jermichael Finley money (around $8M/year),

??? Is this assuming a huge escalation in the salary cap? I don't see it at all.

You guys are mad mofo's but i love it!

images

you already ranked 190 guys for next years' draft???? EDIT: Ah you downloaded it from a draft site it appears. That makes more sense. Didn't know those were available yet.

Since you watch Georgia games, what's your take on Rambo? I know's he's suspended for two games 'he doesn't smoke pot, he just accidently ate a pot brownie.'

Other UGA defensive prospects are Jarvis Jones, John Jenkins, Kwame Geathers,Shawn Williams, Abry Jones, and Sanders Commings.

Last edited:

Where did you g et that brother? Would love to have a peek.

Where did you g et that brother? Would love to have a peek.

Senior prospects only just put up on rotoworld

2013 Draft: Top 32 Seniors - NFL Draft Preview - Rotoworld.com

1. QB Matt Barkley (6'2/220), USC- Many already question Barkley's arm strength and admittedly I have plenty of games to watch before coming to a final conclusion, but it is tough to argue with his ball placement and experienced footwork. Sure, Barkley throws plenty of screen or swing passes in an offense that focuses getting the ball into their playmaker's hands, but he is already asked to make checkdowns at the line based on defensive positioning. I see him zip throws to the sideline after working through progressions frequently. Although he may not ultimately end the process as the top quarterback prospect, Barkley is the safest bet as of right now.

2. QB Tyler Wilson (6'3/220), Arkansas- We will see how Wilson performs under adverse circumstances next season after offensive minded head coach Bobby Petrino was fired only weeks ago. As for his on-field skills, Wilson has a little experience under center and frequently tests downfield coverage on vertical routes. Although his release is elongated, Wilson really whips throws all over the field but tends to overthrow his receivers occasionally. For the most part he is willing to stand in the pocket while working the progressions but Wilson lost many targets to this year's draft and may need to adapt to a new system quickly.

3. DT Star Lotulelei (6'3/325), Utah- There is a soft spot in my heart for beefy interior defensive linemen with high motors and penetration ability. Lotulelei fits that bill and he is the best prospect you have yet to hear about. A likely nose tackle at the next level, Lotulelei could be even more dominant if he bows his elbows less when extending and locates the ball sooner.

4. OLB Sean Porter (6'1/230), Texas A&M- An outside linebacker in the Aggies three man front, Porter crashes the edge under control and looks very comfortable in space. He is not quite the rare parallel bender on the outside that Von Miller was in college, but Porter's number "10" jersey sure does look like Miller's "40" on some plays. Porter's long frame, flexibility, tenacity, and active hands make him one of this year's top pass rushers.

5. DE Alex Okafor (6'4/260), Texas- I am expecting a big jump from Okafor who has a ton of natural ability but has yet to harness it into consistent success. In order to reach that potential, he needs to add strength to his length when engaging and take a more aggressive angle to the quarterback. Okafor should get double digit sacks since he posted 11 pressures as a junior.

Love the early mocks guys!

After always having the option of two first round picks, I'm kind of sad we currently don't have the maneuverability of previous years...

I'm hoping that by midseason the Oakland Raiders QB situation will be in complete disrepair, and they'll desperately trade a first for Ryan Mallett...:rocker:

Regardless, I'd like to get another pick closer to the first to wrangle a top flight talent who's sure to be sitting there.

I'm hoping that by midseason the Oakland Raiders QB situation will be in complete disrepair, and they'll desperately trade a first for Ryan Mallett...:rocker:

I like the way you're thinking, there, Brother Zois...
39.gif

Do we play the Raiders, this year??

Maybe we can get a pool together and drop a load of cash on the first guy to STOMP on Carson Palmer's big toe!! Greg Williams could organize it for us. I understand he's Looking For Work...:D

Love the early mocks guys!

After always having the option of two first round picks, I'm kind of sad we currently don't have the maneuverability of previous years...

Regardless, I'd like to get another pick closer to the first to wrangle a top flight talent who's sure to be sitting there.

Or we could all become police officers and be *******s to our favorite prospects until they punch us in the face.

I'll take Barkley. You guys can draw straws for Lotulelei :eek:

That way our Cop Puncher Mock Draft can be complete.

1. Barkley
2. Lotulelei
3. Mingo
4. Amerson

Hey, if we're going to factor cop punching into our mock:

1. Star Lotulelei - I've always wanted Haloti Ngata and VW on my DL
2. Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio St. - Hankins or Lotulelei? In the words of OTG, "Hell, why not BOTH?"
3. Barett Jones, OT, Alabama - he could punch a cop from 5 different OL positions
4. Tyrann Mathieu, DB, LSU - he probably WOULD punch a cop. Heck, a whole squadron of them.

Honorable mention to Taylor Lewan, Jesse Williams, William Gholston, Barkevious Mingo, Tyler Eifert, Levine Toilolo, David Amerson and Justin Gilbert.

Or we could all become police officers and be *******s to our favorite prospects until they punch us in the face.

1. Barkley
2. Lotulelei
3. Mingo
4. Amerson

Like BB, I dream of 3 massive DT-sized souls in the trenches of the 3-4(or any formation, for that matter), which is why I can't pass up this bad mo fo out of Utah. If he is the next Ngata, his comparison alone will shoot him up the board, that is, so long as no one gives him the damning label of "T-Rex Arms" :eek:.

Vince isn't getting any younger.

Is Sidney Ponson entering the NFL draft? I hear he has been in a melee or two with Law Enforcement officials. His core strength is out of this world, but his fluidity and technique could use some Pepper therapy.

1. Star Lotulelei - I've always wanted Haloti Ngata and VW on my DL
2. Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio St. - Hankins or Lotulelei? In the words of OTG, "Hell, why not BOTH?"

PREACH it, Brother Mayo!! :rocker:

1. Barkley
2. Lotulelei
3. Mingo
4. Amerson

:rocker: Very funny! What a great idea. :)

I'll take Jesse Williams and mayo can have Lotulelei!

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back