PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wtf happened with Brissett deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't known yet if trade of Brissett for Dorset was a "silly" move . This season will show what is a real Dorset's value for the team. However I am sure if Seahawks really offered 2nd round pick for Brissett that would have been far too much for that guy.
Third should be highest he goes for. I think Indy should hang onto him unless they get something big like a second. If Luck misses a game or 2, Brissett is real solid.

Third should be highest he goes for. I think Indy should hang onto him unless they get something big like a second. If Luck misses a game or 2, Brissett is real solid.

Seattle at best imo goes 8-8. So we’re looking at a pick somewhere in the 40s maybe even higher. Colts should’ve taken that deal. Plenty of Brian hoyers available to hold the clipboard this year.

So a rumor that should be all over the Indianapolis and Seattle sports media instead is reported by a Boston reporter that hates the Patriots. There’s almost definitely some context or complete inaccuracy here that didn’t get it reported until it got to somebody with an agenda.

(For one thing, the Seahawks don’t have a second round pick next season.)

So a rumor that should be all over the Indianapolis and Seattle sports media instead is reported by a Boston reporter that hates the Patriots. There’s almost definitely some context or complete inaccuracy here that didn’t get it reported until it got to somebody with an agenda.

(For one thing, the Seahawks don’t have a second round pick next season.)

For a team with needs along both lines giving up a high pick for a player who you hope never sees the field is crazy.

My problem with that trade is if Brady goes down......syonara to any playoff wins......I understand the $$$ issues so Pats were caught between a rock and a hard place with TB wanting to play another 4 years or more :D
If you unubderstand the issue then how do you have a problem. It was literally impossible to keep Garoppolo without hurting the team on the field by franchising him then having to keep doing it. 24 mill for a backup QB just can’t happen, and he probably wouldn’t have signed the tag and forced a trade anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a crooked way to look at it. Brissett has serious value right now - whether it be a 2nd round pick or even a 3rd round pick. The Colts got a serious advantage from that trade and we might have gotten a player who isn't even a roster lock. Do we want other teams to get free picks when we could've gotten them ourselves?
He has that value, if he actually has it because the source is questionable at best, because he has a year of starting QB experience. He wouldn’t have that here and would have the same underwhelming value.

I doubt that he's a franchise QB. But is he better than Hoyer? Yes. Would we have trade bait on our team, so that WE could be the one's denying 2nd round picks for players that wouldn't start? 100% yes.
No

God I never knew we had so many whiners and complainers. Think about it. We traded away our #THREE QB for a player who could end up being a starting WR or at least one who is "in the rotation".

Of course Brissett's value has increased. He now has had a full year as a starting QB and didn't sh!t himself in the process. But it should be noted that he didn't distinguish himself either.

I can understand why the Seahawks would value him. Brissett's skill set is a great fit for the Seahawks offense. He would be an ideal backup for them. That being said, is an "ideal backup QB" ever worth a 2nd round pick??? So I have questions about the report.

And for the 900th time, Garopolo was NEVER staying past the 2017 season. If the Pats wanted to keep him they would have had to make the decision to jettison the league's MVP. :rolleyes: In the end they got a pick in the top 3rd of the 2nd round for a guy who was going to walk for NOTHING in 2 months. GET OVER IT.

The ONLY issue is whether the Pats could have gotten more for JG. They probably could have gotten more if they had traded him before the draft. But they wanted a strong back up for their 40 year old QB. They were making another Superbowl run and decided that for THAT year keep JG was the best choice.

Fast forward to the middle of the season and the situation had changed. Brady had once again proved that the "cliff" was still in the distance and JG had crushed any hope for taking an extension to keep being Brady's back up. So the Pats got something instead of the nothing they would have had if they had waited. Sure there were "reports" that the Browns had offered a first, but nothing that went beyond speculation.

GET OVER IT already.

All indications are the Brissett was going to get cut last year, so the complaint isn't about what they got in return for him but giving up on him too quickly.

There is no chance Seattle offered a 2nd for him. It's too stupid a move for a FO that has proven to be quite competent.

God I never knew we had so many whiners and complainers. Think about it. We traded away our #THREE QB for a player who could end up being a starting WR or at least one who is "in the rotation".

Of course Brissett's value has increased. He now has had a full year as a starting QB and didn't sh!t himself in the process. But it should be noted that he didn't distinguish himself either.

I can understand why the Seahawks would value him. Brissett's skill set is a great fit for the Seahawks offense. He would be an ideal backup for them. That being said, is an "ideal backup QB" ever worth a 2nd round pick??? So I have questions about the report.

And for the 900th time, Garopolo was NEVER staying past the 2017 season. If the Pats wanted to keep him they would have had to make the decision to jettison the league's MVP. :rolleyes: In the end they got a pick in the top 3rd of the 2nd round for a guy who was going to walk for NOTHING in 2 months. GET OVER IT.

The ONLY issue is whether the Pats could have gotten more for JG. They probably could have gotten more if they had traded him before the draft. But they wanted a strong back up for their 40 year old QB. They were making another Superbowl run and decided that for THAT year keep JG was the best choice.

Fast forward to the middle of the season and the situation had changed. Brady had once again proved that the "cliff" was still in the distance and JG had crushed any hope for taking an extension to keep being Brady's back up. So the Pats got something instead of the nothing they would have had if they had waited. Sure there were "reports" that the Browns had offered a first, but nothing that went beyond speculation.

GET OVER IT already.

The problem with the jimmy G trade is B.B. turned down Cleveland’s offer of a first round pick which ended up being 4 overall in 2018 draft.

Last edited:
The problem with the jimmy G trade is B.B. turned down Cleveland’s offer of a first round pick which ended up being 4 overall in 2018 draft. All because B.B. cares about jimmys well being and didn’t want him to end up in Cleveland

You are making two questionable assumptions here.

1) That the 2018 first round pick was ever on the table.
2) That Bill didn't have other reasons to hold on to Jimmy beyond the 2017 draft.

I am not sure I understand the OP's angst about the Brissett deal - Pats received a first round receiver (albeit under performing) in exchange for a second year third string QB with two starts under his belt. Fair exchange, imo, given that Brissett was never going to see the field unless Brady was injured and Goroppolo was traded.
Brissett how has a full year of starts which has shown teams that he is a very reliable backup with invaluable experience - hence the increase in value.

2) That Bill didn't have other reasons to hold on to Jimmy beyond the 2017 draft.

Are you saying Cleveland didn’t offer a first round pick?

It was a situational trade where the Pats got a guy they thought may have been misused for someone they didn't want tying up a roster spot.

They were wrong as they usually are at judging young WR talent, but I understand their thinking.

On point number 2...then B.B. and kraft weren’t on the same page because kraft shipped jimmy g out and B.B. didn’t seem happy about it. So the miscommunication cost the patriots more compensation that they could have gotten

What is this nonsense? The reason Brissett can possibly land a 2rd round is we traded him to Colts and he played one entire season. If we kept him, he still is worth nothing.

GET OVER IT already.
This isn't a thread about JG. It clearly says Brissett in the title. I could care less about Jimmy G since we actually got value for him. Brissett? The equivalent of a 6th or 7th.

I doubt that he's a franchise QB. But is he better than Hoyer? Yes. Would we have trade bait on our team, so that WE could be the one's denying 2nd round picks for players that wouldn't start? 100% yes.

So Brissett's trade value would be exactly the same if he had been standing on the sidelines in New England for another year instead of starting in Indy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes