PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Battle, who makes it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will probably be some teams that keep 6 true WR/Returners after cut-down day.

There will probably be some teams that keep 6 true WR/Returners after cut-down day.
For sure, although with Belichick’s usual past history and heightened focus on special teams, it’s probably unlikely that the Pats are one of them.

If Berrios shines in TC and preseason, things could get interesting. Even though it’s very early, he’s been the secondary punt returner thus far behind Edelman, and I don’t think too many wish to see Jules back there returning punts too often anymore. Maybe he takes over the “inside the 20” type of sure-handed role that we got used to seeing Amemdola do, and Berrios sees more looks at PR.

If Berrios is to be our primary punt returner, then he would also be our #5 WR ( a position that has traditionally averaged one catch every 3 games for the patriots).

For sure, although with Belichick’s usual past history and heightened focus on special teams, it’s probably unlikely that the Pats are one of them.

If Berrios shines in TC and preseason, things could get interesting. Even though it’s very early, he’s been the secondary punt returner thus far behind Edelman, and I don’t think too many wish to see Jules back there returning punts too often anymore. Maybe he takes over the “inside the 20” type of sure-handed role that we got used to seeing Amemdola do, and Berrios sees more looks at PR.

If Berrios is to be our primary punt returner, then he would also be our #5 WR ( a position that has traditionally averaged one catch every 3 games for the patriots).
WR is unsettled this year with questions at WR3-4 more than prior years. WR5 could see more action than usual, even without an unexpected injury.

That sounds about right for a rookie that they wouldn’t want to risk exposing to waivers in an attempt to try to get to the PS (in this hypothetical exercise).

In other words, what would you honestly be expecting from him at WR for 2018 if he made the team?

Agree with your first sentence, although I don’t see how keeping 7 WRs would be realistic in any form.

Maybe Sony's versatility allows us to only keep 3 RBS (Burkhead and White) with a bruiser back on the PS? Then we could keep 7 receivers with Patterson as an emergency RB?

Jules
Hogs
Matthews
Patterson
Berrios

Gut feeling is MM's chronic knee condition is severe enough for the team to part ways. If hes ok but needs more time, then he stays. The might even PUP him or put him on IR-DTR.

Not sure about Britt. I think he has talent but can't really do anything else. I see Matthews as ahead of him.

I think Berrios makes it as he can handle PRs. Not sure about KR but he did have one at The U.

Jules
Hogs
Matthews
Patterson
Berrios

Gut feeling is MM's chronic knee condition is severe enough for the team to part ways. If hes ok but needs more time, then he stays. The might even PUP him or put him on IR-DTR.

Not sure about Britt. I think he has talent but can't really do anything else. I see Matthews as ahead of him.

I think Berrios makes it as he can handle PRs. Not sure about KR but he did have one at The U.
If I could wave a magic wand, I would cast a spell on Phil Dorsett to compel him to attempt to secure a spot on the 53 as both a reliable WR #4 AND our Primary Punt Returner. Because his 5th-year option wasn't exercised, perhaps this is the year that he does everything he can to wring every drop of talent - along with the necessary determination - in his body. Berrios could then refine his skills on the practice squad (or McCarron if Berrios is claimed).

If I could wave a magic wand, I would cast a spell on Phil Dorsett to compel him to attempt to secure a spot on the 53 as both a reliable WR #4 AND our Primary Punt Returner. Because his 5th-year option wasn't exercised, perhaps this is the year that he does everything he can to wring every drop of talent - along with the necessary determination - in his body. Berrios could then refine his skills on the practice squad (or McCarron if Berrios is claimed).
I have nothing against Dorsett but I think the others I mentioned when you combine STs and and production as a WR, the others grade out higher.

With that said I can easily see Dorsett and/or Mitchell beat out Berrios. I just have a hunch with the kid doing the job as a PR and doing some nice things in the slot.

This is a very deep and very varied group of receivers we have going into OTAs and training camp. I think there will be 4 receivers battling for the final 2 spots. I think those 4 will be

Britt
Dorsett
Matthews
Patterson

I think the definites will be

Edelman
Hogan
Mitchell (if healthy)
Slater

I think these guys are on the outside looking in

Hollister
McCarron
Berrios

My guess will be that they will carry 6, and those 6 will be

Edelman
Hogan
Mitchell
Slater
Matthews
Patterson

Though that’s why we have training camp, one of those guys could under achieve and someone could over achieve, and therefore my list goes out the window.

I think Slater will beat them all out and go for 50 plus catches.

I think Slater will beat them all out and go for 50 plus catches.

Just kidding. I have Slater on the depth chart as a safety and kick returner.

I do think receivers either get it or don't on this team. The pats drafting shows they don't even know who will. Having said that, with health Jules and Mitchell and Hogan lead and I have a feeling about Matthews. I think 4-5, with number five kept for special teams or money reasons.

I really doubt they will keep 6 or 7 and i don't know why people expect that unless they have a bunch of special teams demons that are also WRs and that doesn't mean the one catch in 10 years type of WR.

I do think receivers either get it or don't on this team. The pats drafting shows they don't even know who will. Having said that, with health Jules and Mitchell and Hogan lead and I have a feeling about Matthews. I think 4-5, with number five kept for special teams or money reasons.

I really doubt they will keep 6 or 7 and i don't know why people expect that unless they have a bunch of special teams demons that are also WRs and that doesn't mean the one catch in 10 years type of WR.

I expect us to keep a WR who can catch a ball a game (about right for our 4th or 5th receiver) and is the best KR in the NFL.

The ST abilities of Patterson are a potential wild card in all of this.

I think that Patterson is good enough to be our #5 wide receiver, a position that calls for a catch every 3 games, or even our #4 receiver who catches one ball a game.

To me, our healthiest top 3 will get almost all the WR receptions. Our #4 is Patterson. IMO, we don't need another WR on the 53, although we certainly could keep one as a backup or as a PR.

Jules
Hogs
Matthews
Patterson
Berrios

I agree with you on MM. It would't shock me if he's let go. It's very concerning that his knee is still wrapped up. Britt is an afterthought to me and I don't see him making the team. I see Berrios going to the practice squad. So that means Dorsett makes it.

I think that Patterson is good enough to be our #5 wide receiver, a position that calls for a catch every 3 games, or even our #4 receiver who catches one ball a game.

To me, our healthiest top 3 will get almost all the WR receptions. Our #4 is Patterson. IMO, we don't need another WR on the 53, although we certainly could keep one as a backup or as a PR.

1. Jordan Matthews has missed a quarter of all possible games over the past 2 seasons, and that doesn't count the preseason games missed with a fractured sternum.
  2. Julian Edelman missed all of last season due to an ACL injury, is now a 32 year old WR on the comeback trail, and has missed 23 of a possible 48 games in the past 3 seasons.
  3. Chris Hogan has missed a quarter of all possible games over the past 2 seasons, and has been noticeably limited by injury in several of the games where he actually did play.
  4. Malcolm Mitchell has missed 18 of a possible 32 games over the past 2 seasons, and was an injury risk from the start.

So, since some number of the above receivers will be making the team, I'll have to disagree with the notion that going with 4 WRs is anything like a good idea.

I agree with you on MM. It would't shock me if he's let go. It's very concerning that his knee is still wrapped up. Britt is an afterthought to me and I don't see him making the team. I see Berrios going to the practice squad. So that means Dorsett makes it.
Agree. Cheerios is on the outside but has a shot. Dorsett is better now and will be in 2018. As you know, BB projects 2-3 years ahead. Who he sees the incremental growth in will determine the 53 coming out of camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back