PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Battle, who makes it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB will want input from those closest to the WR action
1 vote from BB
1 vote from Josh
1 vote from the jugs machine

Right now behind Edelman we have no reliable backup for the slot/underneath patterns that NE loves. Seems we need to think about that position. Remember, when Welker was hurt in 2009, JE11 as a rookie filled in well. Last year we had Amendola, but he is gone.

1. Jordan Matthews has missed a quarter of all possible games over the past 2 seasons, and that doesn't count the preseason games missed with a fractured sternum.
  2. Julian Edelman missed all of last season due to an ACL injury, is now a 32 year old WR on the comeback trail, and has missed 23 of a possible 48 games in the past 3 seasons.
  3. Chris Hogan has missed a quarter of all possible games over the past 2 seasons, and has been noticeably limited by injury in several of the games where he actually did play.
  4. Malcolm Mitchell has missed 18 of a possible 32 games over the past 2 seasons, and was an injury risk from the start.
So, since some number of the above receivers will be making the team, I'll have to disagree with the notion that going with 4 WRs is anything like a good idea.
These are all valid concerns going into the season. Hopefully they all become Iron Man like Aqib Talib was when he was in Denver.

Right now behind Edelman we have no reliable backup for the slot/underneath patterns that NE loves. Seems we need to think about that position. Remember, when Welker was hurt in 2009, JE11 as a rookie filled in well. Last year we had Amendola, but he is gone.
Matthews has played the slot, so he’s got a bit of versatility if he can show anything in TC. Dorsett and even Hogan will line up there, occasionally. Maybe they’d take over a bigger role should Edelman not be able to go?

I do wonder if Berrios can crack the 53, though.

If Berrios is to be our primary punt returner, then he would also be our #5 WR ( a position that has traditionally averaged one catch every 3 games for the patriots).

Except with Edelman himself; in 2009, in the four games from week 3 to week 6 when he and Welker were both on the field, he had 13 catches (3 per game).

If Berrios makes the roster and plays 16 games, I'd predict closer to 50 receptions than 5.

Matthews has played the slot, so he’s got a bit of versatility if he can show anything in TC. Dorsett and even Hogan will line up there, occasionally. Maybe they’d take over a bigger role should Edelman not be able to go?
I now have little doubt that, barring something unforeseen, Edelman will be able to go full tilt starting Week 1. Don't know if that will include returning punts, however.

Except with Edelman himself; in 2009, in the four games from week 3 to week 6 when he and Welker were both on the field, he had 13 catches (3 per game).

If Berrios makes the roster and plays 16 games, I'd predict closer to 50 receptions than 5.

So, we would have Edelman, Hogan, Patterson, Gronk and the RB's. Even if Berrios is active, I don't see him with 3 receptions per game.

It wouldn't shock me if guys on the outside end up getting traded rather than cut. There are plenty of receiver needy teams ( e.g. Dallas) that we might get a low or conditional draft pick from rather than them gamble on player getting scooped up elsewhere...

So, we would have Edelman, Hogan, Patterson, Gronk and the RB's. Even if Berrios is active, I don't see him with 3 receptions per game.
So you would be ok with 3 WRs, including Patterson, active each game? I wouldn't.

So you would be ok with 3 WRs, including Patterson, active each game? I wouldn't.

No, I would indeed have 4 WR's active.

However, if the 4 included Berrios, I wouldn't expect him to get very many targets, maybe none.

I now have little doubt that, barring something unforeseen, Edelman will be able to go full tilt starting Week 1. Don't know if that will include returning punts, however.
Agreed, I was just addressing his backup situation in general.

My take:

a.) Slater is a WR. Shut up....I don't care....I count him as a WR that happens to be our #1 gunner.

b.) We only can keep 6 WR's. Any more than 6, we are cutting a real good player elsewhere for a #7 WR who will not even see a pass thrown his way all season.

c.) The ABSOLUTE LOCKS (assuming health) are: Edelman, Hogan, and Slater.

d.) That leaves us with 3 slots for:

- Malcolm Mitchell (3rd year. Coming off injury)
- Philip Dorsett (Speed, deep threat)
- Kenny Britt (Big body)
- Jordan Matthews (Slot guy)
- Riley McCarron (2nd year UDFA)
- Braxton Berrios (rookie, 7th round)
- Cody Hollister (year 2, never played in a NFL game)
- Cordarrelle Patterson (best KOR in the NFL, #4 WR most of career)
- Chris Lacy (UDFA)

e.) We can probably rule out Chris Lacy (UDFA) and Cody Hollister.

f.) That leaves 3 spots for 7 players. My guess is that the coaching staff wants 3 different types of receivers. My pick is: Jordan Matthews (slot), Malcom Mitchell (most talented of remaining guys), and Cordarrelle Patterson (KOR with weakened NFL KOR rules...remember people can't run before the kicker kicks off).

Julian Edelman #1
Chris Hogan #2
Malcolm Mitchell #2/#3
Jordan Matthews #3
Cordarrelle Patterson #4 (KOR)
Matthew Slater #6 (Gunner)

g.) Hopefully, we can retain Berrios, McCarron, and Hollister on the practice squad. And possibly trade Dorsett/Britt for a late round pick or a player that fills another need....

Nate Solder has as many career receptions as Slater in three less seasons.

Brady has twice as many receptions as Slater.
Gee, RayClay, thanks for putting the image of Brady catching a pass into my mind.

Would not consider Matthew Slater as part of this group, as in 10 years he only has one pass reception.. that was in 2011.

If they carry "6" then Patterson or Slater is out. There is no way, imo at least, that those 2 can be part of a 6 person WR grouping. If both make the team then it will be 7 WR's that make it. I'm with those in here who don't consider Slater a WR, and in all honesty I'm on the fence as to whether Patterson can be one too.

If they carry "6" then Patterson or Slater is out. There is no way, imo at least, that those 2 can be part of a 6 person WR grouping. If both make the team then it will be 7 WR's that make it. I'm with those in here who don't consider Slater a WR, and in all honesty I'm on the fence as to whether Patterson can be one too.

I tend to agree.

I don't see them carrying 6 either but I do think there is a 50/50 they PUP-DTR Mitchell and run with Jules, Hogs, Cherrios, Patterson and pick 1 from Matthews/Britt/Dorsett Week 1

Additionally in Rex, Sony and White they will have 3 "receiving" RBs which gives Tom additional targets short range

I also see them carrying 3 TEs in Gronk and pick someone. I think Hollister can be a nice H -Back type.

Last edited:
Not that OTAs mean anything I'm told, but Dorsett isn't off to a great start so far. If everybody remains healthy (everybody but Mitchell of course; he's a lost cause), then Phil might already be on the outside looking in.

Jules
Hogs
Matthews
Mitchell (hope that knee is all better)
Cheerios (if he can establish punt return duties, he makes the cut)

I don’t see how Patterson makes the team as a gadget guy/kick returner at 3 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back